Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

seebs posted:

I disagree with lots of rulings. I don't care enough to reach the level of "can't live with it".
Did you read what I posted? Or what you posted? You're the one who used the term 'can't live with the ruling'.

My point being, that if you can't possibly imagine somebody not being able to 'live' with a ruling, in other words, not being willing to back down from whoever is Dictating to them, then as noted in your previous post I quoted, you don't really have any solution to a real disagreement at the table.

quote:

Well, given how many more words are put into it in, say, PF, or 4e... and we still have the same stupid arguments... I am not sure that making everything "clear" really changes it that much.
Well outside of your rhetorically convenient anecdotal fiat utopia, we don't have the same arguments, especially in ore lucid games like 4e, and we don't have as many arguments, either.

And even if the volume of argument was the same, we aren't wasting time arguing on whether the Wizard can reach around the statue to zap the goblin, and are instead moving on to more substantial matters, matters which can actually be resolved. If somebody's arguing about how the game's going, or that they feel like they're not getting to do much, that's a point that can be addressed. The same is not the case of dumb fiat clashes that arise from contradictory head-canons.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

AlphaDog posted:

Are you saying that "A fireball originates in one grid square and occupies these squares <diagram>" and "I dunno, draw a circle on the grid or make a pixellated circle out of grid squares or a cross shape or something, do whatever" are equivalent because people will argue about it anyway, but you don't argue about it because the game's more fun when you don't argue, so that's ok just don't argue?

Well, say you have all this nice clear language, with formal definitions like "emanation" and "spread".

Now look at, say, wreath of blades.

With these nice clear rules, wreath of blades clearly also damages the caster, because it's an emanation and emanations include their origin.

With rules that were somewhat less clear, we might not have to overrule that.

Adding more text does not necessarily result in fewer confusions, even if it's really good text.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

A Catastrophe posted:

Did you read what I posted? Or what you posted? you're the one who used the term 'can't live with the ruling'.

My point being, that if you can't possibly imagine somebody not being able to live with a ruling, than, as noted in your previous post I quoted, you don't really have any solution to a real disagreement at the table.

Pretty much, yeah. If someone genuinely can't accept a ruling at all, and there's no one who can compromise, then that's an incompatible gaming group.

quote:

And even if the volume of argument was the same, we aren't wasting time arguing on whether the Wizard can reach around the statue to zap the goblin, and are instead moving on to more substantial matters, matters which can actually be resolved.

Huh. I guess you have very different gaming experiences. In which case, 4e is probably a decent choice among the D&Ds.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

seebs posted:

Pretty much, yeah. If someone genuinely can't accept a ruling at all, and there's no one who can compromise, then that's an incompatible gaming group.
No, it's not.

You can write that person off as an 'rear end in a top hat' or incompatible, but the rest of us have the sense to realize that the game should be helping out, and that these are not just random arguments and if everyone will just chillaxe then everything works fine. In reality, you're going to end up with players being pushed into a corner, because somebody else is taking control of the situation, and nobody's allowed to dissent.

quote:

Huh. I guess you have very different gaming experiences. In which case, 4e is probably a decent choice among the D&Ds.
I think the difference has a lot less to do with the quality of the experiences, than the quality of the observer. It's easy to say 'works at my table' but if that were true, this community would not be wading hip deep in Bad Gamer Stories. Again- easy to write those people off, they're all assholes obviously, if you're not willing to talk about why these arguments really happen.

And for crying out loud, stop using Pathfinder as an example of a coherent design. That's the opposite of what people are saying. Even simple systems can have coherent rules, and you're the only one who's claiming that 'elves are unconscious while they trance' is going to add to the page-count.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 9, 2014

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

seebs posted:

So a gaming group could be totally compatible if the rules were actually written instead of being transmitted through design-intent induction to the DM's brain. But because the lack of rules lead to serious disputes, that's an incompatible group?

Incompatible with the game in question, maybe. I know from board games that the same group that will happily play one game will argue visciously over another.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

seebs posted:

Well, say you have all this nice clear language, with formal definitions like "emanation" and "spread".

With these nice clear rules, wreath of blades clearly also damages the caster, because it's an emanation and emanations include their origin.

Adding more text does not necessarily result in fewer confusions, even if it's really good text.

The profusion of commas in your post is, in my opinion, somewhat sleazy. Furthermore, I feel that your use of the word "clear" is disingenuous in this context. Fortunately, however, it is possible to avoid these considerations by using a clear jargon that has consistent meanings rather than arguing about whether something originates from a geometric point or a square.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

seebs posted:

Except that's not nice clear language at all. It's a perfect exemplar of how dumb "natural language" rules get. All that overwrought text is describing an effect that would take a few sentences (at most) to communicate as a 4E power.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
To Wit, rules on bursts in 4e clearly state when they effect you (your close bursts do not), and the concept of a 'close'+'bust' is clearly and uniformly laid out, in FEWER WORDS than it would otherwise take.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

seebs posted:

I guess you have very different gaming experiences. In which case, 4e is probably a decent choice among the D&Ds.

That won't save anyone. 4e had plenty of arguments too. Things were clearly defined, sure, but the arguments there were over rules minutiae and the definition of 'target' as it applies to a specific feat or whatever. And in 4e, according to paragraph 5 of page 57 of the Rules Compendium (errata #3), there would be proof that someone was right. But god help the table that descends into that poo poo when they are supposed to be having a good time.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

ritorix posted:

That won't save anyone. 4e had plenty of arguments too. Things were clearly defined, sure, but the arguments there were over rules minutiae and the definition of 'target' as it applies to a specific feat or whatever. And in 4e, according to paragraph 5 of page 57 of the Rules Compendium (errata #3), there would be proof that someone was right. But god help the table that descends into that poo poo when they are supposed to be having a good time.
Name one actual example of this happening in the 4e rules. To clarify, i'm not saying it can't happen, but I very much doubt you can come up with any evidence of your claim.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

A Catastrophe posted:

Name one actual example of this happening in the 4e rules. To clarify, i'm not saying it can't happen, but I very much doubt you can come up with any evidence of your claim.

And you seem like exactly the sort of person that would do that sort of thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Catastrophe posted:

Surely you can remember the lengthy arguments over whether you counted as your own ally.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

quote:

Area: 5-foot-radius emanation centered on you

The daggers serving as focus of this spell take on a deadly sharpness as they animate and spin around you, creating a 5-foot-radius emanation of spinning mithral blades that moves with you. Any creature that starts its turn within the area of the spinning blades takes 1d4 points of damage for every two caster levels (maximum 10d4 at 20th level) and the damage bypasses DR/silver.

Furthermore,:words:

quote:

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, including creatures that you can't see. It can't affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don't extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. a burst's area defines how far from the point of origin the spell's effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

Whatever you think "clear" means, this isn't it.

You're given a clear keyword rule, and a natural-text narrative exception; In this case "5-foot-radius emanation" defines the spell's area. But the narrative fluff natural text says that "The daggers ... animate and spin around you" (emphasis mine). It's a self-contradictory rule that counts on the player's assumption that no wizard would create a spell that chops him up. It's makes for good bathroom reading, but it's garbage at the table. Can Wreath of Blades get a cloaker off your head? What about a stirge that's feeding on you? Or a goblin clinging to your leg? What about an ally you're hugging? The answer is to shrug, improvise something, and make it the DM's call. Which is always the answer to lovely RPG rules, and seems to be the language 5e's coded in.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

ritorix posted:

And you seem like exactly the sort of person that would do that sort of thing.
You have no idea how wrong you are. I have players IMC who make me look passive by comparison. I am not into some no holds barred rules lawyer fest. I am into the opposite, but the REAL opposite, not the myth of nobody arguing because some dude says it's worked on his table since spring of eighteen-diddly-six.

I want rules that can pull their weight, and i'm sick of people making excuses for crappy developers who can't do their job. We're not asking for perfection, but we're not going to accept this obviously false myth about how 4e has as many arguments as Pathfinder and 5e, when the latter are leaking contradictions all over the place.

Effectronica posted:

Surely you can remember the lengthy arguments over whether you counted as your own ally.
Don't help him! I'm making a point here.

There's a lot of claims made in these debates, but a lot of the people making them don't know what they're talking about. Everyone knows that 4e is far from perfect- 4e fans know that best of all by miles. But this guy's claiming that 4e has the same problem, than it's LOUSY with arguments the same way 3e is, but I doubt he could come up with even ONE example, unless he's picked up one on this forum.

Anyway, that poo poo is old news. The new hotness is for people to argue over whether they can declare their enemy as an ally.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 9, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Catastrophe posted:

You have no idea how wrong you are. I have players IMC who make me look passive by comparison. I am not into some no holds barred rules lawyer fest. I am into the opposite, but the REAL opposite, not the myth of nobody arguing because some dude says it's worked on his table since spring of eighteen-diddly-six.

I want rules that can pull their weight, and i'm sick of people making excuses for crappy developers who can't do their job. We're not asking for perfection, but we're not going to accept this obviously false myth about how 4e has as many arguments as Pathfinder and 5e, when it's leaking contradictions all over the place.
Don't help him! I'm making a point here.

There's a lot of claims made in these debates, but a lot of the people making them don't know what they're talking about.

Anyway, that poo poo is old news. The new hotness is for people to argue over whether they can declare their enemy as an ally.

Of course, this speaks to the clarity of 4e's basic language that it's shifted from definitions to whether you can force things to meet those definitions.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Of course, this speaks to the clarity of 4e's basic language that it's shifted from definitions to whether you can force things to meet those definitions.
It at least gives a clearer basis for a ruling, which if people were really into 'gm makes the call' style play, they would support. The more lucid the system, the better the rulings you can make with it, and the more clearly, and quickly, people can know where they stand.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 9, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

A Catastrophe posted:

It at least gives a clearer basis for a ruling, which if people were really into 'gm makes the call' style play, they would support. The more lucid the system, the better the rulings you can make with it, and the more clearly, and quickly, people can know where they stand.

To get things away from D&D for a second, it's hard to imagine something like Fiasco that used "natural language" to explain the game mechanics. The only thing that seems to give this legitimacy is that OD&D and AD&D had "natural language" (that really needs double scare-quotes) but those games were notorious for being played in different ways by each individual group.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Yeah I was just about to say, the good rules lite games use concise rules as the basis of lite, improvisation heavy designs. They're all about shared narrative, but the system still underpins the game in a way that lets people know where they stand.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Jimbozig posted:

So a gaming group could be totally compatible if the rules were actually written instead of being transmitted through design-intent induction to the DM's brain. But because the lack of rules lead to serious disputes, that's an incompatible group?

Incompatible with the game in question, maybe. I know from board games that the same group that will happily play one game will argue visciously over another.

Huh!

I've had groups that argued viciously, and groups that didn't, with the same games. And I don't think I've had games produce vicious arguments with groups that hadn't argued that way with other groups.

Maybe I'm just getting really lucky or really unlucky.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I DM'd 4e for pretty much the length of its product cycle, and played LFR. loving LFR. You have no idea the things I've seen. Saying that 4e had less arguments or no arguments or whatever, loving arguing that it didnt have arguments, is so loving rediculous it belongs right here in this thread.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
Nobody's saying that it didn't have arguments.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The only 4e argument I can remember was what did or didn't add modifiers to damage for the sake of stuff like monk flurry or assassin shrouds and whatnot. I literally never saw arguments regarding the rules in any games. "What's the rule for this?" "It's this." "Oh, ok."

The "Are you your own ally?" thing only really made traction in The Gaming Den, and if you wanna see how fantastic they understood 4e, go look at Trollman's homebrewed 4e class. I never saw any serious arguments about it anywhere else.

A lot of it comes from 3e's particular brand of rule lawyering that fetishizes "RAW" in order to "trick" the game or DM into allowing what would otherwise be stupid and nonsensical, trying to find loopholes and the like. The problem with 5e isn't that the written rules differ from how they were intended, the problem is that the written rules don't actually answer things.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Page 57 of an original printing 4E PHB:

quote:

When a power's target entry specifies that it affects you and one or more of your allies, then you can take advantage of the power's effect along with your teammates. Otherwise, "ally" or "allies" does not include you

Now, I do remember those debates. As a designer, you can't eliminate rules debates. There will always be people who miss or misread something. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to make the rules as clear and concise as possible. The point is to reduce the quantity and severity of arguments at the table, not eliminate them entirely.

Maybe in the case of 4E, they should have included "other than you" for each "target ally". It's less concise, but potentially more clear to the casual reader. I don't really think that would have been necessary, though.

ritorix posted:

arguing that it didnt have arguments

Who argued this?

eth0.n fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 9, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey guys, great news!!

I bet you missed 36d20 rats, didn't you? I bet you were kinda relieved and kinda disappointed it wasn't a thing to mock 5e for anymore. I know my feelings were mixed.

Well, it's back. For kobolds. :eng99: Now, it's 36d20 kobolds.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/hoard-dragon-queen

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

eth0.n posted:

Page 57 of an original printing 4E PHB:

Now, I do remember those debates. As a designer, you can't eliminate rules debates. There will always be people who miss or misread something. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to make the rules as clear and concise as possible. The point is to reduce the quantity and severity of arguments at the table, not eliminate them entirely.

It was a referential joke about how one of the big arguments was built around misunderstanding the clear rule text.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

A Catastrophe posted:

Nobody's saying that it didn't have arguments.

A Catastrophe posted:

Name one actual example of this happening in the 4e rules.

:suicide:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

A lot of it comes from 3e's particular brand of rule lawyering that fetishizes "RAW" in order to "trick" the game or DM into allowing what would otherwise be stupid and nonsensical, trying to find loopholes and the like. The problem with 5e isn't that the written rules differ from how they were intended, the problem is that the written rules don't actually answer things.

Nowhere is this more evident than various CharOp boards and Class Handbooks. More than once, because I am bad a 3.5, I'd consult some handbook and it would suggest something that sounded cool but upon consulting Piell or actually reading the feats it was very obvious that the rules didn't allow said trick at all, and instead relied on a very strange, specific interpretation to ever function. I wish I could remember some examples.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

A Catastrophe posted:

You quoted it in full, yourself.
On the same page.
Is this your first rodeo, homeboy?

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 9, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rhjamiz posted:

Nowhere is this more evident than various CharOp boards and Class Handbooks. More than once, because I am bad a 3.5, I'd consult some handbook and it would suggest something that sounded cool but upon consulting Piell or actually reading the feats it was very obvious that the rules didn't allow said trick at all, and instead relied on a very strange, specific interpretation to ever function. I wish I could remember some examples.

Well, I mean Pun-Pun relies on at least one major leap of logic without even being familiar with any of the splats involved.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh also!

Check the Mage.

Look at his spell list.

Now, quick! Which of these spells are reactions or bonus actions?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A Catastrophe posted:

It's a perfect example because clarifying it in the book would be so trivial, and the only reason not to is because it would shatter the innocence of some hothouse flower grog who will immediately be Fired As A Player if the book says elves sleep a way contrary to the way he thinks Garry said they do.

Come on man, neither one of us can possibly know this. I get where you're coming from and agree that the flaws run deeper than many other systems but let's not project motivation onto a thing that some poor writer probably thought was cool and clear enough.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

I do love how they made a big deal about how bad minor actions were, and they didn't want to include them.

Then they introduce bonus actions, which are functionally exactly identical to minor actions, just more obfuscated and cumbersome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Are you saying that "A fireball originates in one grid square and occupies these squares <diagram>" and "I dunno, draw a circle on the grid or make a pixellated circle out of grid squares or a cross shape or something, do whatever" are equivalent because people will argue about it anyway, but you don't argue about it because the game's more fun when you don't argue, so that's ok just don't argue?

This does not matter cause they will cover the same amount of squares anyway.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

A Catastrophe posted:

You quoted it in full, yourself.
On the same page.
Is this your first rodeo, homeboy?

Truly I have competed against a master, and lost. You even edited your emptyquote just as someone was asking if that was reportable.

I can only hope that the players who make you look passive by comparison never come around these parts. :clint:

ritorix fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 9, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

This does not matter cause they will cover the same amount of squares anyway.

Will it be the same squares?

What if I drew a circle from the origin square with a compass, still the same squares?

Is it really easier for each group to have this discussion than to have a clearly written rule in the rulebook?

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Mendrian posted:

Come on man, neither one of us can possibly know this. I get where you're coming from and agree that the flaws run deeper than many other systems but let's not project motivation onto a thing that some poor writer probably thought was cool and clear enough.
Again, I have to clarify. I'm not just talking about problems in the text when I talk about for instance, the Trance example.

There are a bunch of cases of him being asked about this stuff on twitter, and a bunch of the time he says 'it's up to your DM.' He should be saying 'we'll rewrite that more clearly', or 'I think it's clear enough', but instead he's saying 'there is no right answer to this very simple question'.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

What if I drew a circle from the origin square with a compass, still the same squares?

Is it really easier for each group to have this discussion than to have a clearly written rule in the rulebook?

Well if your arguing you wont have to actually play the game. You need to think of the positives.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

eth0.n posted:

I do love how they made a big deal about how bad minor actions were, and they didn't want to include them.

Then they introduce bonus actions, which are functionally exactly identical to minor actions, just more obfuscated and cumbersome.
Doubly obfuscated, because gently caress if they even tell you anywhere in the monster stat block

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

Oh also!

Check the Mage.

Look at his spell list.

Misty step, Counter spell and Shield.

If you which is which then Misty step is a bonus action while the other two are reactions.

dwarf74 posted:

Doubly obfuscated, because gently caress if they even tell you anywhere in the monster stat block

They do just not with spells. Just learn what the spells do, write them down or buy the spell cards when they come out. If you can't be bothered with that or even the looking the spells up then don't use the monster.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Yes it will be the same amount of squares.