Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Reiley posted:

What sort of playstyle is Poison built for? What are her strengths?

I don't know much about Poison but from the looks of it she seems like a good zoner with nice options to reset the range using that heel-jump of hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Reiley posted:

What sort of playstyle is Poison built for? What are her strengths?

Your objective playing Poison is to force out enemy mistakes with her mid to long range projectiles, and engage in close range when necessary.

-Use 1P Aeolu Edge for screen control
-Bait out jump ins with 2P and 3P Aeolus Edge
-Force opponents to block cr.2K > MP Whip of love from max distance
-Get into close range with elbow drop or love me tender attacks, and follow up with 3 frame 1P or forward throw

That's all from the USFIV Bible. Give it a shot.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

That's all from the USFIV Bible. Give it a shot.

How is that, by the way? I haven't seen much discussion of it since it was released.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

cams posted:

Yeah I highly recommend it.

Dang yeah. Unfortunately it looks like I suck thusfar. I'm working on her in Endless just trying to get a hang of her normals and spacing etc and there are some nice things to work with, but I am getting creamed by people who know what they're doing as far as good fundamentals. I'm not really converting well outside of what I can do with pokes, and thus getting hopelessly outdamaged.

But she's pretty fun I must say.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

How is that, by the way? I haven't seen much discussion of it since it was released.

It's 600 loving pages. 36 pages of a glossary, and the rest is character breakdowns, frame data, hitboxes, strategies, etc. It's a nice breakdown of pretty much everything.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
With regards to Poison, the first hit of rekka is almost always unsafe on block vs most characters. A good player will punish you even if you do it at "max distance," which it almost never will be if you cancel into it from a normal. It probably won't matter for most people here just playing random online dudes, but it's always good to know when something you're doing isn't really safe.

The most relevant characters are Gief, Hugo, Hawk, Guile, and Vega. These characters can ALWAYS punish you for doing rekka on block. Even decent players of these characters will know how to punish it, because it's so free and easy. The rest of the cast varies, but most of the cast can punish rekka most of the time.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 9, 2014

cams
Mar 28, 2003

strangemusic posted:

Dang yeah. Unfortunately it looks like I suck thusfar. I'm working on her in Endless just trying to get a hang of her normals and spacing etc and there are some nice things to work with, but I am getting creamed by people who know what they're doing as far as good fundamentals. I'm not really converting well outside of what I can do with pokes, and thus getting hopelessly outdamaged.

But she's pretty fun I must say.
Yeah, I really like her. I have a terrible addiction to charge characters though. I've been playing her on PS3 since Ultra dropped and I am really surprised how few people on PC, even good players, have experience against her.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Sooooo I didn't know this was possible, but I actually got the pipe followups on Cody's U2 to connect when used as AA...:psyboom:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

With regards to Poison, the first hit of rekka is almost always unsafe on block vs most characters. A good player will punish you even if you do it at "max distance," which it almost never will be if you cancel into it from a normal. It probably won't matter for most people here just playing random online dudes, but it's always good to know when something you're doing isn't really safe.

The most relevant characters are Gief, Hugo, Hawk, Guile, and Vega. These characters can ALWAYS punish you for doing rekka on block. Even decent players of these characters will know how to punish it, because it's so free and easy. The rest of the cast varies, but most of the cast can punish rekka most of the time.

So, does Poison have a true blockstring with specials? MP AE comes to mind maybe?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I cannot do c.MK into hands with Decapre to save my life. I've got c.LP c.MP hands and c.MP hands down pretty well but c.MK hands confounds me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

KingShiro posted:

Sooooo I didn't know this was possible, but I actually got the pipe followups on Cody's U2 to connect when used as AA...:psyboom:

I think it works if you hit with the sand like, once.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

cams posted:

I cannot do c.MK into hands with Decapre to save my life. I've got c.LP c.MP hands and c.MP hands down pretty well but c.MK hands confounds me.

I can only do it by hitting mk and sliding my finger across the punches.

The problem is if the mk wife's the hands still come out sometimes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I've hated this about every iteration of SF4 but the arcade mode is too hard. I can't even come close to beating Seth on easy. I've never have trouble with any fighting game arcade mode even on harder difficulties but this is just stupid. I just want to try out the characters without getting destroyed which is why I'm not playing online :(

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Overbite posted:

I've hated this about every iteration of SF4 but the arcade mode is too hard. I can't even come close to beating Seth on easy. I've never have trouble with any fighting game arcade mode even on harder difficulties but this is just stupid. I just want to try out the characters without getting destroyed which is why I'm not playing online :(

You'd have a lot more luck looking up some basic tutorial videos and taking a character into training mode and trying out some of their core mechanics and some basic normals cancelled into specials or if you're feeling bold some basic bread 'n butter combos. Putting stock into your performance versus the AI in arcade mode is a poor measuring stick for how good you are at the game, and it's a poor way to practice the game in general.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

It's 600 loving pages. 36 pages of a glossary, and the rest is character breakdowns, frame data, hitboxes, strategies, etc. It's a nice breakdown of pretty much everything.

Jesus. I really want that but I also really don't want to go through it all with a pen marking poo poo that may change. I don't expect another version of the game but I do expect a minor balance patch of some sort. Wouldn't be a SF4 update without one.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Callick posted:

You'd have a lot more luck looking up some basic tutorial videos and taking a character into training mode and trying out some of their core mechanics and some basic normals cancelled into specials or if you're feeling bold some basic bread 'n butter combos. Putting stock into your performance versus the AI in arcade mode is a poor measuring stick for how good you are at the game, and it's a poor way to practice the game in general.

Yeah I went online and immediately won 3 in a row just using basic normals and specials. I can figure out what other players are doing on the fly but I'm terrible at combos. I can do them all day in training mode but as soon as I fight a real person I fumble or forget them.

edit: if anyone wants to play me sometime on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/overbite/

Overbite fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 9, 2014

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else had a hard time getting USF4 to recognize your controller? I'm trying to use a PS3 controller through motioninjoy and it worked fine with AE but now it just won't detect it at all. Other games are working fine, only USF4 is having problems.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

ParanoidInc posted:

Has anyone else had a hard time getting USF4 to recognize your controller? I'm trying to use a PS3 controller through motioninjoy and it worked fine with AE but now it just won't detect it at all. Other games are working fine, only USF4 is having problems.

Wasn't motioninjoy the one that people were saying was malware? There was another one people were recommending but I forgot the name. Xinput?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Overbite posted:

Wasn't motioninjoy the one that people were saying was malware? There was another one people were recommending but I forgot the name. Xinput?

I'll try that out. No idea what the deal with it being malware is but I've been using it for 3 years now without a problem, as far as I know. Thanks for the tip.

edit: Still not working. Ugh.

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 9, 2014

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

cams posted:

You pretty much have to quickly piano the hands, immediately right after c. MK hits your opponent.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Overbite posted:

Don't bother, the AI just reads inputs. It's impossible to formulate any sort of strategy because it will randomly decide to punish some moves in their startup frames or just let itself get hit. I did arcade mode once to get the japanese / english sound options and it was hilarious to get ultra'd in the startup frames of something like a cr.mp.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Don't bother, the AI just reads inputs. It's impossible to formulate any sort of strategy because it will randomly decide to punish some moves in their startup frames or just let itself get hit. I did arcade mode once to get the japanese / english sound options and it was hilarious to get ultra'd in the startup frames of something like a cr.mp.

you'll learn how to deal against online kenbots

YFDHippo
May 2, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cams posted:

[quote="cams" post="433290040"]

Yeah I highly recommend it.

I wouldn't recommend it; Decapre has the worst time against most of the grapplers.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

In case you haven't seen this, someone on reddit analyzed the packets from a GFWL match and from a Steamworks match, and figured out why the netcode is borked.

quote:

USF4 PC netcode is 100% bugged. no amount of placebo tweaks can make it better.
i just used Microsoft Network Monitor to analyze the connection during a GFWL match (thankfully a few people are still playing it) and compared it to a match on Steam.
on GFWL i played a dude from Poland: http://i.imgur.com/Y8fnKXx.png (the analyzed IP checks out: http://www.geoiptool.com/en/?IP=89.75.186.162)
on Steam i played a Swiss guy: http://i.imgur.com/kmWZp1Z.png (the analyzed IP checks out: http://www.geoiptool.com/en/?IP=80.219.44.253)
first of all, the difference was night and day. i'm from Romania, most of the time i have decent connections with Poland (60-70ms) and good connections with Switzerland (40-50ms). the match on GFWL with the Polish guy was almost perfect, on Steam with the Swiss player it was nigh unplayble.
notice how on the Steam network log there's a lot of UDP Binding Requests intercalated with actual game data. on GFWL there was NONE of that in 20k+ captured packets!
besides this, when you search for matches in Ranked/Endless, you establish a connection with every player that pops up in the results to gauge the connection quality. on GFWL it checked for a while and then stopped exchanging packets, on Steam it keeps exchanging UDP Binding Requests for a long, long time. even after you started a match with someone, you have that back and forth Binding Request spam in the background with all the people that popped up in your previous search results.
also, Bilbo Sandbaggins/ALPHATT pointed out that, as we may have noticed, the menus have freezes too when performing 3-4 searches in a row which is likely related to this bug, like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUArogh8pXY
is Capcom aware of this?
EDIT: apparently yes: http://steamcommunity.com/app/45760/discussions/0/34093781690697842/#c34094415800504858

This was brought to the Capcom Community manager on the Steam forums here

quote:

darksamus: Hi mate
darksamus: You saw this...
darksamus: http://www.reddit.com/r/SF4/comments/2d0idk/usf4_pc_netcode_is_100_bugged_heres_why_network/
darksamus: ^Looks like the answer to the issues with steam are in there.
wbacon [capcom]: yep! I haven't seen it myself, but the Fighting Team is aware of it.
wbacon [capcom]: Plus all the feedback received from the Steam forum so they'll be reviewing it closely with QLOC
darksamus: awesome
wbacon [capcom]: my take on it is that it seems the video rendering is being interrupted and causing stutters whenever someone's polling you for matchmaking
wbacon [capcom]: sort of a DDoS attack ^_^
darksamus: yeah
darksamus: Exactly my interpritation of it to
wbacon [capcom]: yep.
wbacon [capcom]: so I ampushing the guys to look into this pronto
wbacon [capcom]: anyway, rest assured the dev folks are compiling feedback and will be looking to address many of these issues. first order of business will be for them to repro the issue
wbacon [capcom]: Rest assured it's not a "ship it and forget it" type of deal
wbacon [capcom]: that won't happen under my watch! ;-)

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

YFDHippo posted:

I wouldn't recommend it; Decapre has the worst time against most of the grapplers.

True, Decapre v. Hugo is a goddamn nightmare, for example.

I know she has mixup potential but I'm trying hard to play her as a footsie machine right now. My execution is so very very terrible that all the mixups in the world are not there yet for me as far as inputs.

THAT BEING SAID: I can't figure out how to do her Spiral Arrow properly. It's supposed to be downback ->upback -> forward + K, right?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Well that is good news. I think I will just wait for the patch to fix that rather than jump in now and get frustrated in ranked.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

strangemusic posted:

True, Decapre v. Hugo is a goddamn nightmare, for example.

I know she has mixup potential but I'm trying hard to play her as a footsie machine right now. My execution is so very very terrible that all the mixups in the world are not there yet for me as far as inputs.

THAT BEING SAID: I can't figure out how to do her Spiral Arrow properly. It's supposed to be downback ->upback -> forward + K, right?

The regular air spiral arrows have a minimum height restriction, so maybe you're running into that? The EX version has no such restriction, though.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

chumbler posted:

The regular air spiral arrows have a minimum height restriction, so maybe you're running into that? The EX version has no such restriction, though.

That's probably it.

Also: holy hell do I need matchup practice against Rolento. I have no Goddamn idea what's going to come out, the guy is rolling Vega style and hopping around, sliding and throwing kunai and all this poo poo!! Aaaaaaaaaaa!

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 9, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Evil Canadian posted:

Well that is good news. I think I will just wait for the patch to fix that rather than jump in now and get frustrated in ranked.

Endless is okay, though, so long as you have no empty public slots. I played a lot of great lag-free games with goons tonight, but when someone left (drat you Ryuuga!) the whole thing turned into a shitshow because we were constantly being pinged by random online assholes.

So here's my advice to the thread:

:siren::siren:FOR THE TIME BEING, PLAY ENDLESS AND SET ALL YOUR OPEN SLOTS TO PRIVATE AND YOU WILL HAVE NO LAG:siren::siren:

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Also of note, if the host of the Endless lobby changes, the game seems to forget that the slots are private. So if the host leaves, you're probably better off just starting a new lobby.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

strangemusic posted:

That's probably it.

Also: holy hell do I need matchup practice against Rolento. I have no Goddamn idea what's going to come out, the guy is rolling Vega style and hopping around, sliding and throwing kunai and all this poo poo!! Aaaaaaaaaaa!

add me on Steam, foxmedik

edit, im on right now and i will give you some rolento practice

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
My Ultra Bible finally shipped, hooray!

I still won't get to play Ultra, or anything on my PS3, for a few more days. Boo.

Anybody just starting Ultra on PS3 feel free to add me. I'm still not good but have finally moved beyond total scrub level.

PSN Static_Rook

I'd like to try and get a decent size lobby going sometime next week if everyone hasn't switched over to PC.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Holy crap someone fight me on PC please

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bebopaloobop/

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Please fight this man, the literal best SF4 player in the state that he lives in

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
best player from fresno status

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've been trying to play Poison under severe lag and I learned absolutely nothing except I can also abuse her throw like she was Rose. Also, meaty HP fireball everything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm so bad at this game. I'm having trouble linking cr.lp, cr,lp -> cr.mp reliably with Elena. I just want to cancel that cr.mp into heavy scratch wheel/spin scythe consistently. It's so satisfying when it actually lands though, haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 9, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Trykt posted:

Please fight this man, the literal best SF4 player in the state that he lives in

lol he lives in oklahoma or some poo poo though but imo he's the best SF4 player on SA other than probably bananaken

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
I agree but he is an rear end in a top hat so I don't want to sound like I'm supporting him.

gently caress u bebo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

they should have hugo be the only character in the game who can still parry since he is completely irrelevant without them

• Locked thread