Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gimnbo posted:

Google tells me it's from Ye Olde Reddit.

Best response:

Oh goddamn.

quote:

[–]UberMcwinsauce 33 points 1 month ago

I think you made a valid point, even if I don't exactly agree. You definitely created discussion, and yet you got downvoted anyway. I would like to remind everyone that he put effort into this post, and the downvote button is for people who put forth no effort or are attempting to derail discussion.

[–]Rockworm503"It's...a thing. A science thing. It hurts robots" 14 points 1 month ago

I upvoted all his posts... Because the downvote brigade is rediculous. Some people arguing against him don't even have an argument just because he's talking about rape. Its a game about choices. While I personally don't agree with it and wouldn't enjoy doing such a thing this shouldn't reflect on him as a person since it is after all still a video game and if we want games to be considered art and be taken more seriously it shouldn't be afraid to go there.

gently caress this planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Ninjasaurus posted:

In all my time reading these threads, I can't recall a single instance in which Poe's Law applied to TVTropes.

Actually, I'll confess right now that one popularly-quoted post in these threads was actually posted by me, a long time ago, as deliberate parody. No, I won't tell you which post it was. But if it makes you feel any better, the tropers didn't get it.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Actually, I'll confess right now that one popularly-quoted post in these threads was actually posted by me, a long time ago, as deliberate parody. No, I won't tell you which post it was. But if it makes you feel any better, the tropers didn't get it.

May we guess?

I'm thinking the "33 pencils" or "Shut. The. Hell. Up." Troper Tales.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Was it the one where The Troper defends some girl against a jock, hands the jocks rear end to him and says something "I do not wish to fight you, but thanks for the workout"?

Also I read through the Mills College Anime Club Scribd again. MAN what a mess that was.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

tacodaemon posted:

From the TVTropes page on The Fifties:

quote:

"Square" - Someone dull, out of it or otherwise not "in". Usually used to refer to a nerd, since the Fifties were before Nerds Became Sexy and long before nerds were hardcore.

Hahahaha you guys keep telling yourselves that

I am unhealthy fascinated by this thread and drew a line for myself long ago by swearing never to post here. But I clicked that "nerds are sexy" page and gently caress it, the world needs to see this:

Main/NerdsAreSexy posted:

And by little, she means "French."*

*note: It's an English slang term for a deep and sensual mouth-to-mouth kiss which frequently involves the use of the tongue. It is often combined with other actions such as 'petting' for maximum sensual effect.

In case you didn't know what this "French" kiss was. "Maximum sensual effect."

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
On the exact opposite side of the coin, we have Nerds Are Virgins.

quote:

If you are a nerd, then as far as fictional media are concerned, you have never gotten laid, very likely haven't gotten to first base, may have never ever stepped up to bat — and quite possibly have never so much as wandered within a mile of the ballpark.

Now, this does have some real life basis, in that some nerds and geeks do lack some social skills, and take up unusual interests as a way to fill the gap in their lives (or, more unfortunately, fail to develop social skills because of said interests). Some might just be asexual.

I have never seen somebody seriously extend a metaphor so far that it becomes moronic.

Also, that last line is reminding me of those Less Wrong types who believe themselves above such affections. In other words, :smuggo:

quote:

This trope can apply to female nerds as easily as male nerds, but thanks to the Double Standard, the males are far more likely to find unwholesome outlets for their unexpressed sexuality, virginity notwithstanding. In fact, male nerds have just as much chance of being the Casanova Wannabe as any other type of male character. Some males (and a rare female or two) may try to deny their virginity, out of fear of losing face, but thanks to their nerdy exteriors, they are unlikely to be believed by other characters, if they even have the social graces to spin a convincing lie in the first place. Another possible reason that female nerds are less likely to be virgins is because All Men Are Perverts and A Man Is Always Eager in Fiction Land, and couldn't care less about what a woman's hobbies are as long as she's letting him have sex with her. note Women on the other hand are often depicted as far more discriminating and will reject a partner whose hobbies aren't "cool" enough. Hence the use of terms like "girl repellent" (or the less G-Rated version "pussy repellent") to describe nerdy things.

Ugh, I can't penetrate this meaningless combinations of tropes and :words:.

Then near the end of the description there's this gem:

quote:

If the nerds are the main characters, there is a high chance they won't be virgins by the end of the movie/book/first season of the show, because virginity is a tragic flaw and heroes always overcome their flaws. Make that a very, very high chance if said heroes are male.

Heroes always overcome their flaws? Now there's the :tvtropes: we know and hate.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

quote:

rear end Shove: Shoving things up your rear end at high speed is not safe for your anus or rectum, and many objects or substances are just plain dangerous to put up there.

Find this and other valuable groundbreaking protips at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TelevisionIsTryingToKillUs where we remind you that you are not a Glorious Tsuntsun Nekojin-hime and thus will be killed by swords if hit.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BlueDude posted:

Heroes always overcome their flaws? Now there's the :tvtropes: we know and hate.

Do they not understand the concept of a tragedy? Oh wait that's a stupid question, of course they don't. Although it would be understandable since tragedies don't translate well into dnd, videogames, or other forms of wish fulfillment. Things they only consume and nothing else. Even though strangely enough since tropers like videogames they can't understand the basic themes of Shadow of the Colossus, one of the few games I know to work in the concepts of heroes brought down by their flaws.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

In Pokémon, Croagunk has taken up Misty and Max's role as the one to take away Brock from girls, by using Poison Jab, paralyzing him. It's almost always depicted as Brock being stabbed in the rear end. It's still better than the alternative, where Croagunk cockblocks him.

Pokémon Special. A girl in Fortree is busy getting her Zigzagoon out of a tree when the branch breaks and sends them both on a messy fall — or it would have been if Sapphire didn't jump down (from a higher altitude, no less) and catch the branch with her bare hands, occupants and all. The girl notes that her Zigzagoon isn't feeling too well and needs to get it to a Pokémon Center; Sapphire saves her the trouble, produces a berry, and feeds it to the Pokémon, curing it of its affliction. Where this trope comes in is how she came to this conclusion — she sticks her nose up its butt!

There's a joke about three explorers who were captured by a native tribe. The natives say that the explorers may survive if they collect and bring back ten pieces of a fruit of their choosing. The first explorer returns with ten berries, and is told he'll go free if he gets all ten inside his anus. He succeeds and is released. The second explorer returns with ten apples and is told the same. He suddenly bursts out laughing; when the natives ask what's so funny, he tells them that the third explorer was collecting pineapples.

A variation has the third man arrive, have the task explained to him, and choose death after some consideration. The natives then proceed to execute him in the traditional way, by inserting a fatal number of pineapples into his anus.

Yet another variation has the natives telling them that they will kill them if they make any facial expression whatsoever during the 'challenge', and the one telling the joke is encouraged to announce the number out loud. The first explorer, having something large-ish (like apples), is killed after a few (3-4) for grimacing. The second explorer, having picked something small (berries or grapes), allows the one telling the joke to count up to 7 or 8, then the explorer inexplicably bursts out laughing and gets killed as a result. The two explorers meet in Heaven, and the first one is distressed, asking the second what had happened since he was doing so well... the second explorer, still laughing, says "I just saw the third guy, and he's got PINEAPPLES!".

This joke from a WWII vet regarding rectal exams: "Well, first he put his right hand on my shoulder. No, wait, he put his left hand on my shoulder. Wait a minute, he put both his hands on my shoulders." Oh, yeah, the days when man rape was supposed to be funny.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
While I was looking for things to make fun of in the You know, that thing where section (the place where new tropes are born), I noticed yet another example of why Fast Eddie is horrendous at coding.

The tropers can apply tags to YKTTWs, each one bearing some concern about its quality ("better name", "already have?", etc.) However, only the mods can remove them, and the end result is that they just start getting cluttered. Take this one, for example:

quote:

Already have? / Tropeworthy? / Needs Examples / Better Name / Better Name / Description Needs Help / Description Needs Help / Already have?

Brilliant. :downs:

Also, to show your support for a YKTTW, tropers add "hats" to them - and the icon used for this is a fedora. How fitting. :fedora:

fake edit:

quote:

Oh, yeah, the days when man rape was supposed to be funny.

I don't even know what to say about this quote.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I wonder if the code can track who places what tags on proto-tropes.

What I'm saying is, spam tags.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Nightmare Fuel: Anime posted:

As per the Animation Age Ghetto, most people seem to think that all anime is for kids. Guess what — it's not :smug:; a great deal of it is intended for mature audiences; it might be because of the occasional swear or gratuitous blood, but quite a few people think it's because of any of these soul-destroyingly terrifying scenes. Plus, even anime that ''is'' meant for kids can be intentionally freaky in its own right.

:tvtropes: posted:

Apocalypse Zero. The big lady in episode one who kidnaps a young couple, rips the boyfriend's face off when kissing him, eats him alive, and later on throws up the decayed body of the boy... who isn't even dead yet! The girlfriend, on the other hand, gets caught up in the giant lady's hand and squeezed to the point where her ENTRAILS ERUPT OUT OF HER MOUTH as if she was a living tube of toothpaste... also she was pregnant.

Full Metal Panic!: Gauron actually wanted to kill Sousuke when he was eleven and canonically wanted to rape his dead body. It also gets even creepier when one realizes that their countless encounters are most likely not entirely coincidence and that Gauron is heavily implied to be stalking him, actively choosing missions / jobs that would put him in a position to see his "precious boy."

Kannazuki no Miko has a very famous scene that can be taken as being horrifying. While most of the show really comprises of Moe Schoolgirl Lesbians and mechas, there's one scene in Episode 8 that either horrifies viewers or turns them on :fap:. It's the scene where Chikane actually rapes Himeko. As the series went on, you found out her reasoning, but still.

Kaze to Ki no Uta. The series has many of them, since it involves explicit rape as this, but the one scene that stands out from the rest is when Bonnard kidnaps and rapes an underage Gilbert. The scene is very squicky considering that Gilbert was about nine years old. Everything Auguste does is this in spades, especially when he rapes a young Gilbert. The worst part about it? Auguste is his father who was posing as his uncle.

Legend of the Blue Wolves: Captain Continental for one. Also, his rape of Jonathan, all those grunting noises and the screaming...

Narutaru: The most infamous examples would almost certainly be Hiroko being raped with a test tube by sadistic bullies and the leader of said bullies getting a deadly taste of her own medicine from Hiroko's shadow dragon. Oh, and if you think the anime's bad enough, the manga it's based on gives it a run for its money. Poor Norio...

Now and Then, Here and There was based on reports of the Rwandan genocide, and man does it show. In a subversion of a classic Ghibliesque "Kid Hero in a strange fantasy world scenario", our hero finds himself in an apocalyptic wasteland of chronic thirst, a literally insane warlord ruling with an iron fist, Child Soldier-hood for the boys, and child rape camps for the girls. There are supernatural elements in this Crapsack World, but do you really need them when you have most of the all-too-real curses that make life hell for all too many people in the real world? And where many entries on this list finally stop, this show keeps on bludgeoning you until you're an emotionally shattered wreck sobbing in the corner.

Master Happosai in Ranma ˝. He's an incredibly powerful martial arts master who sexually harasses every woman he can get his hands on, and who is living indefinitely in the home of former students who are too terrified to kick him out. He also regularly harasses and molests his students' daughters, the youngest of whom is sixteen. His character is played for laughs in the series, but imagine what it must feel like to be a young teenage girl who has to witness your father cower helplessly before a man who victimizes you at every turn in your own childhood home, sometimes even sneaking into your bedroom at night.

Speed Grapher has rather a lot of this thanks to the effects of the Euphoria virus. Those who are infected with this virus without dying are granted powers based around disturbing sexual fetishes, and the way several of them transform when they get particularly "excited" is bloody freaky to say the least.

Tokyo Tribe 2. A particular scene from the first episode has an incredibly gruesome anal rape and death. This would not be so bad except for the astonishing amount of blood, the horrible, horrible imagery present, the fact that the guy raping the other is easily twice his height and four times his weight plus the sound.

I really loving hate anime nerds, more than any other type of nerd. It doesn't help that I haven't enjoyed almost every anime I've ever seen, but still. gently caress these whackjobs.

Here's a funny passage to end on that reveals an otaku's greatest fear:

quote:

Welcome to the NHK ends what's a pretty silly two-episode plot on MMORPG addiction by dramatizing the main character at 50 years old, still mooching off his parents and addicted to the same MMO. Still having done nothing with his life, his elderly parents write his life off completely before the story fast forwards, they die, and he's done for. Though this is supposedly played for laughs, it's a real Adult Fear a lot of people, who would find the Family-Unfriendly Aesop to be disturbing.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Supposedly, if you read the page for the Getting Crap Past the Radar trope, it's supposed to be about very subtly burying naughty jokes, particularly in stuff meant for children. But then I find supposed examples like this, from the page for Back to the Future:

quote:

Getting Crap Past the Radar
  • Biff, when he sits at Lorraine's table and tries to grope her: "You want it, you know you want it, and you know you want me to give it to you."
  • During the scene where Marty and George are going over the plan of how they're going to get George with Lorraine we have this exchange while George is doing his family's laundry:
    • Marty: Because George (voice begins to stutter) Nice girls get angry when not-nice guys take advantage of them.
    • George: Hoh! You mean you're going to touch her on her— (holding a bra in his hand)
  • When Strickland gives Jennifer her tardy slip, she holds it up between them, her middle finger very prominent.

While the third one might be an intentional subtle joke (watch the clip here and judge for yourself), the first one is blatant about what it means -- Lorraine reacts by angrily shouting "I'm not that kind of girl" and slapping him pretty hard -- and the second one is played as a really obvious joke, especially with Marty's reaction of grabbing the bra away from George and tossing it back in the laundry basket.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Tropers don't understand context, subtlety, characterization, or censorship.

Film at 11.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

From the 'tropes don't work in real life so don't do them' page:

quote:

Trash Landing: Glass and sharp objects are commonly found in garbage bins. Safer than concrete or glass, but only should be attempted, as the page says, if the alternative is hard concrete. On the other hand, the manure bin/pile variant, while disgusting, is actually a good idea - loose dry manure IS a soft surface (loose liquid manure, however, has all the attributes of fictional quicksand).

Thanks TV Tropes - a manure academic resource:thumbsup:

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
On the subject of the Radar pages: remember Garfield and Friends? Then prepare to have your childhood ruined:

quote:

In the episode "Double Oh Orson", Agent Orson said to Countess Lanolin, "I see you have a license to thrill."

Okay, you're obviously reading into it too much, but it's mostly harmless--

quote:

There are times when they would occasionally show the birds' (mainly Wade's)...anal holes...Wade's was shown in episodes like "Wanted: Wade", a close up one in "Sleepytime Pig", and in "Egg Over Easy, part 1". Roy's was shown in "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere's Duck".(seen in the picture for this page)

:stare:

quote:

In "Make Believe Moon", Roy and Wade were running from a 'graveyard', then they ended up crashing into a shed, half damaging it, then we see Roy come out carrying Wade. The scene resembled a couple mating in the shed, and the dominant one carrying the submissive other after intercourse. Also one of the weasels saw them like this and was like "Awww!".

:stonk:

quote:

Alot of stuff in "Snow Wade and the 77 dwarfs" got past the radar. The Spanish version took it Up to Eleven when Prince Roy (whose speaking voice was close to his English version) kisses Snow Wade, Roy moans a deep sexy voice.

:smithicide:

quote:

To try and get rid of Aloysius, Roy picked Wade up and told him to lie down(on the bed chair) then he gets paint and a paint brush and paint Wade's body with spots (to make him look sick). Wade asked awkwardly, "What...are you doing?" The scene seemed to resemble body paint sex and we are even given a close up shot of Roy painting Wade's crotch area...

:shepicide:

In short: gently caress :tvtropes: forever.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

quote:

There are times when they would occasionally show the birds' (mainly Wade's)...anal holes...

Hey hey hey hey hey it's a cloaca

Also lol at that one about body paint sex

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

BlueDude posted:

On the subject of the Radar pages: remember Garfield and Friends? Then prepare to have your childhood ruined:

In short: gently caress :tvtropes: forever.

I used to watch Garfield and Friends as a kid but it's still amusing to me that there are spergs out there who obsessively watch every episode, looking for anything that could possibly be interpreted as sexual so they can catalog it on TVTropes. When you find yourself doing that, I'm not even sure therapy would be effective.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

It's still amusing to me that there are spergs out there who obsessively watch every episode, looking for anything that could possibly be interpreted as sexual so they can catalog it on TVTropes.

If you think the Garfield one is bad, check out the ones for Crash and Bernstein, iCarly, anything on the Western Animation page, and even this one (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Radar/CardGames).

And this is my favorite bit from the Censorship Tropes page:

quote:

Nipple and Dimed: The censorship of female nipples. Male nipples rarely face such scrutiny (unless you want to satirize the sexual inequality of this trope by either gender-flipping it or censoring male nipples along with female nipples in the name of true gender equality).

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax
This post is not from TvTropes specifically, but the site has nearly 9000 words (not including the intro text) on bad fanfic which manages to have an ebook and Deviantart-level "cover" art (which won't show here and I don't feel like converting them to Imgur) made by this chucklefuck.

quote:

Those who have seen Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica and read fanfics might have heard of To the Stars, arguably the best Madoka fanfic out there (unless you prefer shipping fanfics). It even spawned fanfics by others that are set in the same universe. The author just released chapter 32... and I've been working on an ebook version.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Radar: Live-Action TV posted:

In the Xena: Warrior Princess episode "The Deliverer", Gabrielle is forcibly raped on-screen by the evil god Dahak, who is depicted as tentacles of fire weaving around her prone, elevated body. (None of the tentacles go up her skirt, but on the other hand Gabrielle isn't burned, either.) Although the series' head writer (who did not write the episode) denied that it was rape, Gabrielle nonetheless experiences the normal feelings of devastation afterwards, and in the following episode turns out to be pregnant. In later episodes, Dahak is named as the child's (Hope) father.

this is how it was written on Tvspergs, note the emboldened text.

Rambling Robot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 9, 2014

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

quote:

None of the tentacles go up her skirt, but on the other hand Gabrielle isn't burned, either.
Isn't this pretty much definitive proof he didn't penetrate her :psyduck:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

I really loving hate anime nerds, more than any other type of nerd. It doesn't help that I haven't enjoyed almost every anime I've ever seen, but still. gently caress these whackjobs.

Here's a funny passage to end on that reveals an otaku's greatest fear:

The way they seem to think is: "Dark" stories are not for children, therefore a "dark" story must be a mature story.

The thing that's wrong with the "dark and edgy" stuff tropers seem to love is that they are not children's stories or adult stories, they are adult stories written by children. The literary equivalent of listening to twelve-year-olds bragging about how wasted they got from a can of cider.

With less hope that in a few years time the (man)child will laugh at himself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I haven't read any of the bullshit you guys have quoted, for my sanity's sake. Does that make me a bad person?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

LoonShia posted:

I haven't read any of the bullshit you guys have quoted, for my sanity's sake. Does that make me a bad person?

Not really. It'll put you out of the loop, but there are worse things you can do than not know anything about what tropers like. Just be glad that you're not obsessed with it to an insane degree. That's why I (and others, both professional and amateur) continue to write, knowing full well that fans like that exist. :)

Incidentally, anyone check out the "One of Us" trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneOfUs)?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Penny Paper posted:

Not really. It'll put you out of the loop, but there are worse things you can do than not know anything about what tropers like. Just be glad that you're not obsessed with it to an insane degree. That's why I (and others, both professional and amateur) continue to write, knowing full well that fans like that exist. :)

Incidentally, anyone check out the "One of Us" trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneOfUs)?

I think somebody in some of the previous threads made the point that Tropers have this massive Us vs. Them, geeks vs. jocks mentality. Then they realise that some of Them are actually pretty geeky, because there's a gulf between liking things and being an obsessive troper "fandomite", which should poke holes in their theory, but they decide that some of Them are actually Us and their stupid dichotomy is preserved.

Also their standard for "geek" is "watches Game of Thrones", which is weird because almost everybody I know does that. Like, none of these people mention getting into fandom or anything like that, they just say that they like the show. Like do they not get that when people say "I loving love game of thrones" they don't mean that they get into fandom? I don't get it.

Also this:

quote:

Kirsten Dunst at the very least has a fondness for anime. She dressed as a Magical Girl and with Blue Hair, went to Akihabara (the Mecca of otaku), and did a music video about Turning Japanese.

TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: The Mecca of Otaku

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Penny Paper posted:

My favorite is the subpage for webcomic authors who are nerds. Wouldn't it be faster to just make a blank page and call it a list of webcomic authors who aren't nerds? Even then they still somehow manage to screw it up, since the page is pretty short and thinks "being a fan of ABBA" (one of the most popular pop groups ever) is evidence of being a nerd.

MinistryofLard posted:

TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: The Mecca of Otaku

TvTropes didn't make that up. Googling that phrase shows tour companies advertising Akihabara as the "Mecca of otaku", so it can't be that uncommon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lottery of Babylon posted:

TvTropes didn't make that up. Googling that phrase shows tour companies advertising Akihabara as the "Mecca of otaku", so it can't be that uncommon.

There's a whole show about it.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Here's something I found on the Trope-tan page:

It's like a medal of dishonor.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Why was that banner so poorly cropped out of whatever image it came from? Couldn't they find a nice clean one in Clipart?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
that's high art relative to the rest of the site

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BlueDude posted:

Here's something I found on the Trope-tan page:

It's like a medal of dishonor.

Oh hell where the gently caress do I start? Okay medals and symbols are meant to be simplistic like a flag, containing the beliefs and goals of the country/organization/company. This thing manages to mangle pretty much everything an emblem is supposed to do.

Okay I'll go with the general shape of the thing. Now actual medals such as the Olympic medals.

The most common shape of medals is typically a rounded circular shape as it is here. In history circular shapes represent a wholeness and a sense of completeness, something that those awarded with these medals would certainly feel. The words "XXX Olympiad London 2012" is emblazoned on the top of the medal overarching the entire image at a proper title should. Right below the title is the Olympic symbol over the entire image, representing the whole events perceived are under its banner. Finally the goddess of victory Nike walking towards the host city as a metaphor for well, success in the endeavor of the receiver.

Now let's talk about the reason why the trope tan emblem is wrong. The shape is this garish mix of a ribbon and an incomplete circle. As a medal the tips of the ribbons would easily tear and find themselves stuck in the clothing. As a sticker the ribbons would easily fold and rip. As a medal it would be unbalanced as medals need to be compact to be held. The four tips of the ribbon would prick the recipient and be pretty inconvenient to hold.

None of the fonts, style and color of the text is consistent, creating this sense that the whole community is not unified in its cause. The T.V. is covered up by the bold yellow text "It's AWESOME" with a fade to white as it goes more to the right. Now yellow is the color of creativity, so this could made sense, if it didn't cover the t.v. like it doesn't matter what on the symbol of media, all it matters are the user's words. The CAPS LOCK makes the words seem immature and generic and it's text breaches the navy blue border as if the concept of wholeness is irrelevant to the text. the fade to white is harmful as it implies that over time the creativity simply fades away to a bland pale version of itself. The pillowing of white and baby blue also clashes with the fading of the text making the symbols in conflict rather than in harmony.

The ribbon which covers the circle and the TV also has problems since by doing so you're implying that your site and your words are worth more than the symbol of media which you displayed. Take the TvTropes logo. The lampshade covers the TV and doesn't fit inside the ribbon, as if it doesn't respect borders. The words "tvtropes" is covered by the lampshade which is meant to dim light, not something you want for a sight that says it wants to be enlightened. The words are also in lowercase and underlined for emphasis, making this confusing as it's inconsistent with the rest of the text. It's like the title itself is not needed yet the hastily added underline attempts to make it seem important. Since it's under the drat title makes it that its identify isn't as important as what it does. Even more so the underline isn't even curved with the rest of the ribbon, making it seem lazily done. The pillowing of the ribbon to give it definition is unneeded in logos and makes the navy blue text hard to read under a dark red background.

In short of all that :spergin:, I hate the drat logo for being so shoddily done and I'm offended that no one would even speak up of how half-assed it is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to be a parody of those old "website awards" that were all over the web in the geocities days.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Annointed posted:

Oh hell where the gently caress do I start? Okay medals and symbols are meant to be simplistic like a flag, containing the beliefs and goals of the country/organization/company. This thing manages to mangle pretty much everything an emblem is supposed to do.

Okay I'll go with the general shape of the thing. Now actual medals such as the Olympic medals.

The most common shape of medals is typically a rounded circular shape as it is here. In history circular shapes represent a wholeness and a sense of completeness, something that those awarded with these medals would certainly feel. The words "XXX Olympiad London 2012" is emblazoned on the top of the medal overarching the entire image at a proper title should. Right below the title is the Olympic symbol over the entire image, representing the whole events perceived are under its banner. Finally the goddess of victory Nike walking towards the host city as a metaphor for well, success in the endeavor of the receiver.

Now let's talk about the reason why the trope tan emblem is wrong. The shape is this garish mix of a ribbon and an incomplete circle. As a medal the tips of the ribbons would easily tear and find themselves stuck in the clothing. As a sticker the ribbons would easily fold and rip. As a medal it would be unbalanced as medals need to be compact to be held. The four tips of the ribbon would prick the recipient and be pretty inconvenient to hold.

None of the fonts, style and color of the text is consistent, creating this sense that the whole community is not unified in its cause. The T.V. is covered up by the bold yellow text "It's AWESOME" with a fade to white as it goes more to the right. Now yellow is the color of creativity, so this could made sense, if it didn't cover the t.v. like it doesn't matter what on the symbol of media, all it matters are the user's words. The CAPS LOCK makes the words seem immature and generic and it's text breaches the navy blue border as if the concept of wholeness is irrelevant to the text. the fade to white is harmful as it implies that over time the creativity simply fades away to a bland pale version of itself. The pillowing of white and baby blue also clashes with the fading of the text making the symbols in conflict rather than in harmony.

The ribbon which covers the circle and the TV also has problems since by doing so you're implying that your site and your words are worth more than the symbol of media which you displayed. Take the TvTropes logo. The lampshade covers the TV and doesn't fit inside the ribbon, as if it doesn't respect borders. The words "tvtropes" is covered by the lampshade which is meant to dim light, not something you want for a sight that says it wants to be enlightened. The words are also in lowercase and underlined for emphasis, making this confusing as it's inconsistent with the rest of the text. It's like the title itself is not needed yet the hastily added underline attempts to make it seem important. Since it's under the drat title makes it that its identify isn't as important as what it does. Even more so the underline isn't even curved with the rest of the ribbon, making it seem lazily done. The pillowing of the ribbon to give it definition is unneeded in logos and makes the navy blue text hard to read under a dark red background.

In short of all that :spergin:, I hate the drat logo for being so shoddily done and I'm offended that no one would even speak up of how half-assed it is.

those sure are some words

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Annointed posted:

But Tropers don't understand symbolism or context. They only care about things on a surface level.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Penny Paper posted:

There's a subsection of "criminals" on a subpage called "Other Pencilnecks":

quote:

It has been said that quite some real-life mafiosi love The Godfather. The inauguration of the new "don" by kissing his hand was an invention of author Mario Puzo, but has become a staple with real life maffiosi ever since.
Charles Manson was a fan of The Beatles and The Beach Boys and read "hidden messages" in their lyrics.
There has been some speculation that Osama bin Laden named his organization, al-Qaeda (which means "base" or "foundation"), after... the sci-fi novel Foundation by Isaac Asimov.
Both Mark David Chapman (assassin of John Lennon) and John W. Hinckley, Jr. (who tried to shoot Ronald Reagan) were obsessed with the novel The Catcher in the Rye. Though some conspiracy theories have pondered if this was genuine affection or just being subject to brain washing.

I thought the "trope" (using that term very loosely) was about taking pride in the fact that actual noteworthy and successful people like the same things you do. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that criminals are included.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

SerialKilldeer posted:

I thought the "trope" (using that term very loosely) was about taking pride in the fact that actual noteworthy and successful people like the same things you do. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that criminals are included.

Well, I'm sure Badass Longcoats are involved in this somewhere.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Annointed posted:

The irony is that the ribbon's idiosyncrasies end up representing TV Tropes far better than they'd think.

(Also: does anyone remember that edit of the TV Tropes logo that replaced the lampshade with a hand grabbing another one? I saw it in the fourth thread, I think.)

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

quote:

Billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is reputedly a geek who learns Chinese by himself, owns and drives a VW Golf GTI.

:effort:

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
I tried to look for more stuff to make fun of in the One of Us pages, but failed. Instead, here's some Trope-tan artwork:

Oh god, Foot Focus. :stare:

:gonk:

It's like an alien tried to look human and failed miserably.

• Locked thread