Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Gentleman Baller posted:

I think this is a bit of a stretch. Pyne is a poo poo lord and he was dodging the question but I'm pretty sure he was just saying it can't possibly disproportionately affect women and poor people because Vice Chancellors will price things fairly and not for maximum profit. It was absolutely a straw man dodge, implying that the big problem with it is that they will specifically set the fees higher for courses predominately taken by women or some poo poo but I don't think it was a Tony Abbott 'women stay in the kitchen' thing.

Nope. Not a stretch at all. Look at the quote again. He basically said women do teaching and nursing, not dentistry and law. He is a mysogenist piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Has any interviewer called him out scum for being able to receive a free education but now attempting to deny the current bastardised form to current and future students yet?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Splode posted:

Nope. Not a stretch at all. Look at the quote again. He basically said women do teaching and nursing, not dentistry and law. He is a mysogenist piece of poo poo.

He's clearly misogynist as hell don't get me wrong I just think he's answering a different question here, thinking or more likely trying to frame the question as one implying the criticisms are consciously/irrationally targeting people and that they don't make good economic sense. When Sarah calls him out on it he quickly goes all 'broader picture'

Of course having said that, saying "Hey maybe Christopher Pine isn't being a maximum poo poo right now" feels completely wrong so you guys are probably right.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

quote:

SARAH FERGUSON: But what happens to a female lawyer or a female dentist who takes, say, 10 years out of from the workplace to raise a family? She will pay a great deal more for her degree than a man who has no children.

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: Well, Sarah, I feel like you're sort of caught up on this subject and the reforms, the higher education reforms are a great deal more than simply the deregulation of fees. So, while you're a bit caught up on one aspect of it, there are many very good aspects of this reform package which I think the Senate will find very attractive.

"don't you worry about that, little lady"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
No actually he straight up says women won't be hit by it because woman subjects will be cheaper and then when asked what about intra-industry inequality he changes subject saying Sarah ferguson is too caught up on women.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Gough Suppressant posted:

No actually he straight up says women won't be hit by it because woman subjects will be cheaper and then when asked what about intra-industry inequality he changes subject saying Sarah ferguson is too caught up on women.

If that's what he's saying then he's not responding at all to half of the question, that it'll disproportionately affect lower income people too, unless he's saying people who are poor should just accept their role in lower paying yeah okay I can definitely see that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ragingsheep posted:

Has any interviewer called him out scum for being able to receive a free education but now attempting to deny the current bastardised form to current and future students yet?

No, because the idea that benefiting from a policy means you shouldn't call for its removal isn't a good argument.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
So deregulating university fees will somehow lead universities to change their fees to reflect the labour market?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Gentleman Baller posted:

If that's what he's saying then he's not responding at all to half of the question, that it'll disproportionately affect lower income people too, unless he's saying people who are poor should just accept their role in lower paying yeah okay I can definitely see that.

Yes, he is saying exactly that. People who do not have money currently for reasons be they gender or class or race should not be given the opportunity to get money in the future because if anything is based on merit in the future then he, Christopher Pyne, is utterly hosed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It strikes me that if Pyne believes that, for example, specific courses should cost less money to enrol in for whatever reason, it's probably within his power as Minister for Education to do that. Like, for example, that perhaps he could regulate the tertiary education sector to do so.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

NEWSCORP LINK > http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...3-1227019087686

quote:

The WA division of the Liberal Party has rebuffed Prime Minister Tony Abbott for back tracking on contentious changes to racial discrimination laws.

At state conference today, Liberals voted to pass the motion “that the Liberal Party of Australia WA Division express disappointment at the federal government’s decision not to pursue, as promised, the repeal of Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act”.

Leading the charge was former Liberal leader Bill Hassell, who gave Mr Abbott a vicious spray.

“The only thing wrong with this motion as far as I am concerned is that it is too gentle,’ he said.

“In all honesty, when I heard the news that the government had walked away from this clear and unequivocal electoral commitment, I couldn’t believe it.

“When I heard the Prime Minister say that he had done it because the Muslim community was unhappy about it I found it even more incredible.

“The plain fact of the matter is that the government’s decision is an unconditional surrender to narrow interest groups against the interests of the Australian people.

“Linking it to the increase laws on an terrorism is utterly false.

“The security situation has not changed since Mr Abbott and his colleagues were elected.

“It is the same as it was then: dangerous.

“And these additional security measures are undoubtedly necessary.

“But the Prime Minister seemed to think that if he walked away from this electoral commitment to restore our undoubted right of free speech he would somehow win over the Muslim community and others.

“Well, you know, when Mr Chamberlain went to met Mr Hitler in Europe in 1938 Mr Hitler said to him ‘just give me Czechoslovakia and that’s the end of my ambitions’.

“Mr Chamberlain fed him and came home and said ‘there will be peace in our time’.

You don’t turn crocodiles into pets by feeding them.”

The Abbott Government had proposed taking the words insult, offend and humiliate from section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

Under proposed changes, announced by Attorney-General George Brandis, the stipulations in 18C would be replaced with provisions outlawing racial vilification and intimidation.

In defending the changes, Senator Brandis told parliament that people have “a right to be bigots”.

Mr Abbott said he was dumping the draft laws because they had become a complication in the government’s relationship with the Muslim community.

Former state Liberal leader comparing Muslims with Nazis and crocodiles :v:

Brown Paper Bag fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Aug 9, 2014

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
How many current Cabinet ministers haven't publicly embarrassed themselves in this government? Bishop? Turnbull? I guess there are ones that no one cares about like Robb and Billson who fly under the radar.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Quasimango posted:

How many current Cabinet ministers haven't publicly embarrassed themselves in this government? Bishop? Turnbull? I guess there are ones that no one cares about like Robb and Billson who fly under the radar.

I can't remember Cormann doing anything especially embarrassing (other than being a Senator for the Libs).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I can't remember Cormann doing anything especially embarrassing (other than being a Senator for the Libs).

Chomping on a fat cigar with hockey wasn't a good look

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Speaking like some Dutch Bond villain doesn't help

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Quasimango posted:

Peter Dutton has continued to remain invisible as Health Minister:

quote:

The Department of Health has moved to allay fears of the Ebola virus' spread to Australia, after the World Health Organisation declared west Africa's epidemic an international health emergency.

Minister for Health Peter Dutton said on Friday that Australia is fully equipped to deal with any suspect case of the virus should it arrive in the country.

"The announcement that World Health Organisation has declared the west African Ebola virus outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern does not change the risk to Australia, which remains very low," Mr Dutton said.

"Incoming flights to Australia have on-board announcements, asking passengers who are feeling unwell with fever, chills or sweats to alert a crew member. Crew members would alert border protection and biosecurity staff for a health follow-up. The health of people who have originated their travel from Africa is also being checked.

"If there is a suspect case detected, Australia has first-class laboratory testing facilities and our hospitals and medical staff are fully prepared and on alert."

The United Nations health agency in Geneva declared the raging epidemic an "extraordinary event" on Friday and called for a co-ordinated international response.

It said that the possible consequences of further international spread of the outbreak, which has killed almost 1000 people in four west African countries, are "particularly serious" in view of its virulence.

Mr Dutton said that Australia's border, health and hospital procedures would protect the Australian public from any imported case of Ebola.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on Friday maintained that Australians should reconsider their need to travel to west Africa, specifically Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. It also notes on its travel advisory that there are several likely cases of the disease in Nigeria.

The WHO's emergency committee said there should be no general ban on international travel or trade due to the Ebola outbreak.

Australia's chief medical officer, Chris Baggoley, was a member of the WHO emergency committee on Ebola.

"In overseeing Australia's national response, Professor Baggoley advises that while Ebola is a very serious disease, it is not highly contagious," Mr Dutton said.

"Ebola is not influenza; it is not caught through coughing or sneezing. It is only caught through contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person or animal."

Earlier this week, the WHO said it would convene a group of medical ethicists early next week to wrestle with questions about the use of experimental drugs in the deepening Ebola outbreak.

EDIT: Relevant Pope

Nuclear Spy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 9, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dutton is essentially Generic Liberal, MP.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Is there actually a difference between auspol gbs and auspol d&d beyond post counts getting reset monthly in one of them?

Maybe when I was twelve.

Cartoon posted:

Apologies thread my previous Arsetralian headline grab wasn't nearly horrifying enough. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for redemption. Behold:

The Arsetralian why would you click this? Why?

There you go. Section 18C eat your heart out. Let's have a bunch of far right exAJ nutjobs trumpet 100 years of religious war on the front page :smug:

Just for reference here is a basic threat matrix. Exactly how you define things does alter outcomes but simply put here RED/EXTREME means you absolutely need to address it, ORANGE/HIGH means you need to have a credible solution available YELLOW/MEDIUM means should address it, resources permitting, and LIGHT GREEN/LOW means it's something you should apply resources to if they available after fully dealing with the RED, ORANGE and YELLOW (DARK GREEN means you are worrying about the wrong things).

So for 'expert' David Irvine to go for MEDIUM he would have to be asserting that the threat was either really unlikely but with catastrophic consequences or on the line between that and very high probability (sometimes called certain) but low consequence. OK fair enough. The evidence to date says ~50 people motivated enough to go and fight over seas with limited to no intentions to do anything in Australia (the worst credible threat ever released was the guys who were going to try and gun down some soldiers and another bloke who had 'materials capable of making bombs' - HINT This is you you have those materials under your kitchen sink. I'm struggling to go to this being a SIGNIFICANT threat. As MINOR is all we are left with the likelyhood has to be CERTAIN to warrant being declared MEDIUM as a threat.

Conclusion :- :itwaspoo:

Also featured was how the Australian Press Council was giving the paper a sad. Looks like it's war there too!

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be either killed or have to emigrate sooner than I had hoped for?

Legion of One
Feb 17, 2012

You know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun but we just don't have time for mucking about
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/immigration-rogue-on-deck-20140808-3de5w.html

quote:

A convicted criminal who was found last month by the corporate watchdog to have impersonated a lawyer and engaged in other fraudulent behaviour remains licensed by the federal government to provide immigration advice.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Spoiler: It's not Scott Morrison

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cormann holds a large part of the responsibility for the poo poo budget and is (or should be) tarred with the same brush as Hockey.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Well our border protection people are pretty good at locking people travelling from the global south in dark, windowless rooms and hoping they die, so basically we're set for ebola.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
^^^ Only applies to arrivals by boat. Apparently we're quite poo poo at preventing unauthorised arrivals by plane.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Nuclear Spy posted:

Peter Dutton has continued to remain invisible as Health Minister:

EDIT: Relevant Pope

Pope should be the actual Pope

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ragingsheep posted:

^^^ Only applies to arrivals by boat. Apparently we're quite poo poo at preventing unauthorised arrivals by plane.

Thy haven't figured out how to force all inbound international flights to turn around and land on Nauru or PNG yet. They have Top Men working on it though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Thy haven't figured out how to force all inbound international flights to turn around and land on Nauru or PNG yet. They have Top Men working on it though.

Um what do you think we bought the fighter jets for

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
To spontaneously combust with people who joined the military in them?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

gently caress me, how did that man ever get elected? Presumably he has to speak to somebody in his electorate at some point and every single aspect of him makes you want to punch him until words stop coming out of his evil little weasel face.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Doting seventy year old women is part of the answer.

People voting for a party not a representative is another.

Australia generally and Adelaide specifically, too

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Quasimango posted:

Actually quite a few of them are missing in action, either overshadowed by their more ambitious peers or just keeping the hell away from them:

Michael Keenan, Minister for Justice: the silent lapdog of Brandis.

Marise Payne, Minister for Social Services. Somehow she managed to be omitted in all discussion of the Budget.

Michael Ronaldson - Minister for Veteran's Affairs. I think I've heard of him once around Anzac Day. He's also the Special Minister of State with a bunch of oversight on things and noone calls him on any of it. Eg Parliamentary Integrity :allears:

Nigel Scullion, Minister for Indigenous Affairs has also been able to hide behind the Treasurer and Andrew Forrest. Noel Pearson told him to gently caress off, that's the first I heard of him.

Stuart Robert - Assistant Minister for Defence: most of the assistant Ministers are nobodies and definitely all the Parliamentary Secretaries are.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 9, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Payne's parliamentary office staff were interesting after the budget. Because she's a NSW senator she was on my list of angry calls the day after and her staff were surprisingly respectful and helpful compared to all the others I spoke to. She keeps her horribleness pretty close to the vest compared to her colleagues.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Oh god I just googled her and we have the same birthday. Blarg.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey I heard you're a union stooge. C/D?

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

ewe2 posted:

Actually quite a few of them are missing in action, either overshadowed by their more ambitious peers or just keeping the hell away from them:

Michael Keenan, Minister for Justice: the silent lapdog of Brandis.

Marise Payne, Minister for Social Services. Somehow she managed to be omitted in all discussion of the Budget.

Michael Ronaldson - Minister for Veteran's Affairs. I think I've heard of him once around Anzac Day. He's also the Special Minister of State with a bunch of oversight on things and noone calls him on any of it. Eg Parliamentary Integrity :allears:

Nigel Scullion, Minister for Indigenous Affairs has also been able to hide behind the Treasurer and Andrew Forrest. Noel Pearson told him to gently caress off, that's the first I heard of him.

Stuart Robert - Assistant Minister for Defence: most of the assistant Ministers are nobodies and definitely all the Parliamentary Secretaries are.

Most of them are in the outer ministry, not the Cabinet though!

As for Dutton, the fact that someone in such a senior portfolio is so invisible is itself fairly embarrassing. Same goes for David Johnston.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doting seventy year old women is part of the answer.

People voting for a party not a representative is another.

Australia generally and Adelaide specifically, too

I suspect the reason why we produce fuckwits like Pyne and Bernardi is because Adelaide is one of the Federal libs weaker locations. The better Libs get used for marginal seats and aren't likely to last as long as those in safer positions.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Senor Tron posted:

I suspect the reason why we produce fuckwits like Pyne and Bernardi is because Adelaide is one of the Federal libs weaker locations. The better Libs get used for marginal seats and aren't likely to last as long as those in safer positions.

I assume this is the case as well. Pyne's electorate specifically has a few gated communities and neighbourhoods with massive houses, most of which I assume are occupied by Liberal voters. But he could well lose his seat next election.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I assume this is the case as well. Pyne's electorate specifically has a few gated communities and neighbourhoods with massive houses, most of which I assume are occupied by Liberal voters. But he could well lose his seat next election.

Yeah, the seat of Sturt is pretty hardline Liberal. If anything, Pyne will be what changes that; he is so colossally unpopular, not even the safe Liberal seat he's in wants him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Quasimango posted:

Most of them are in the outer ministry, not the Cabinet though!

As for Dutton, the fact that someone in such a senior portfolio is so invisible is itself fairly embarrassing. Same goes for David Johnston.

There's a persistent rumour that Johnston's going to get booted from defence (for Morrison) whenever the next reshuffle is.

• Locked thread