Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I was kinda hoping we'd see the sandbenders again. It'd be fun to see their reaction to an avatar, especially considering the previous avatar almost annihilated their clan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm surprised Korra didn't even think of at least trying Sandbending out, guess Metalbending is at good as we got ,which Aang never even tried, not once in the 60 years he could.

And Toph could somewhat sandbend, when she made a Ba Sing Se sculpture on the beach.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Why sandbend when you can just airbend? The sandbenders create a vortex of sand which creates air streams that blow the sail - but when you can just airbend the need for manipulating sand in the specialized way just falls away.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Sandbending is pretty much just something the sandbenders have to do in order to survive in their environment. The wiki says the movements for sandbending are a lot closer to airbending than they are to regular earthbending, so it's basically just making the sand act like air. When you can actually bend the air, there's no need for it.

That said, a sandbending avatar could potentially be a really cool story to tell, especially if they have to deal with the kind of crappy treatment that comes with being an easily-identifiable minority in a culture that distrusts them for stupid reasons.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I love these discussions of the nuances of fictional magic elemental kung fu. :allears:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate how awesome Henry Rollins is?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate how awesome Henry Rollins is?

I like him but I feel like he's been phoning some of his lines in, honestly.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

He's trying to play a more enlightened kind of anarchist, not his normal fast angertalking. It works for me even if he could put a little more emotion into some lines.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Shabadu posted:

He's trying to play a more enlightened kind of anarchist, not his normal fast angertalking. It works for me even if he could put a little more emotion into some lines.
Everytime he goes on a monologue I can only think of "Liar"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awY1MRlMKMc

Plus he already did a fast angertalking anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpE_iNtWAo

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 9, 2014

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Earth is next in the avatar cycle, right? I'd love if we got a sandbending avatar if there's ever a third series. Or a swampbender.

Ahaha, this guy thinks they're ever going to make a third series. Like Nick would ever greenlight another one.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm loving pretty much everything about Henry Rollins's Zaheer.

EDIT: There's always the chance that some enterprising internet entrepreneur could buy the rights from Nick and give us a streaming series.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 9, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Kick starter it, poo poo someone kick started a potato salad and got 24k

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Serella posted:

Ahaha, this guy thinks they're ever going to make a third series. Like Nick would ever greenlight another one.
I did say ever. :smith: Let me believe.

Edit: I will say I'm pretty attached to this and the original series despite being a grown woman because I could probably count the number of western animated kids shows with non white protagonists on one hand, and I appreciated seeing people that looked like me on tv

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 9, 2014

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Short clip from next episode: looting and commandeeering an airship.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Seriously though, they've been building it up to an obvious "if you just believe in yourself you can do anything!" conclusion and that just doesn't feel right.
Well, we already had "too obvious, they won't do it" talks about Bryke, and they really just did the thing that everyone thought they wouldn't do. So yeah, there is a distinct possibility that this might end in a similar way as Korra's airbending plot in Book 1.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

"I can metalbend? I can metalbend!"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The caveat will be that he can only bend small metal things, like nails, nuts, and bolts, one at a time.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Spergatory posted:

EDIT: There's always the chance that some enterprising internet entrepreneur could buy the rights from Nick and give us a streaming series.

As much as I'm enjoying this season, I think this would be the only way we'd really get great Avatar in the future. Cut Nick out of the picture and cater to the audience they have, not the audience the network wants for the show. Still don't see it happening, though. :/

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Bolin being useful makes me happy.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
It just occurred me to that perhaps the new air nation is more or less what Zaheer wants. The air nation didn't have much of a centralized government right? Just a bunch of monks. An emphasis on choosing your own path, and much of Tenzin's arc has been about how over controlling he is with the air nation. Maybe there is a place for some reconciliation there? The air nation becomes opt-in, regardless if you can air bend or not, giving Zaheer a place for people who want freedom to go to. Zaheer could then spend the rest of his life in recluse as a monk.

And yeah Rollin's voice is great for Zaheer. Very smooth.

Legacyspy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 9, 2014

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The Mad Stan connection hadn't occurred to me, but now every time Zaheer speaks the only thing I'm going to hear is "COMBUSTION BEND IT ALL UP!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Legacyspy posted:

It just occurred me to that perhaps the new air nation is more or less what Zaheer wants. The air nation didn't have much of a centralized government right? Just a bunch of monks. An emphasis on choosing your own path, and much of Tenzin's arc has been about how over controlling he is with the air nation. Maybe there is a place for some reconciliation there? The air nation becomes opt-in, regardless if you can air bend or not, giving Zaheer a place for people who want freedom to go to. Zaheer could then spend the rest of his life in recluse as a monk.
You were with me up to here. I think we're going to see Zaheer's tragic realization that he's done something unforgivable, and even though there's a new community that is everything he's wanted, what he's done with the gift of Airbending means he can never be a part of it.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
If this has been discussed already, my bad for not reading the 60 page thread first.

Does anyone else feel like this season is a big awkward transition from last season? Korra fights an evil avatar and basically saves the world. That felt like something that should have been a series ender, rather than a mid season conflict.

This season we're going after anarchists who are trying to break society. Although I like this season overall better than the last, it's pretty anticlimactic. It's like in Supernatural when they beat Satan, and then the next season we're fighting Vampires and Monsters?

Anyway, that's my only gripe with the structure of this season. It's like doing the third movement of a symphony as the second movement. Anything afterwards is going to seem less.

That being said, this season, standing alone, would've been a great second season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stumpus posted:

If this has been discussed already, my bad for not reading the 60 page thread first.

Does anyone else feel like this season is a big awkward transition from last season? Korra fights an evil avatar and basically saves the world. That felt like something that should have been a series ender, rather than a mid season conflict.

This season we're going after anarchists who are trying to break society. Although I like this season overall better than the last, it's pretty anticlimactic. It's like in Supernatural when they beat Satan, and then the next season we're fighting Vampires and Monsters?

Anyway, that's my only gripe with the structure of this season. It's like doing the third movement of a symphony as the second movement. Anything afterwards is going to seem less.

That being said, this season, standing alone, would've been a great second season.

Not really. A lot of shows refuse to deal with the consequences of big events, but that doesn't mean the consequences of big events are not worth telling. There's this weird idea that escalation is an admirable goal for every form of fiction and the only way a threat can be meaningful if it is bigger. However that leads to really lovely writing where they keep trying to top themselves and make the Biggest Threat The World Has Ever Seen every season/film/book/whatever.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Legacyspy posted:

And yeah Rollin's voice is great for Zaheer. Very smooth.

I love him as Zaheer too. It's a great read, especially in contrast with Unalaq's Skeletor-grade unsubtlety.

I don't think he'd be ideologically happy with that outcome. He objects to the idea of government control generally and has a bedrock belief in its injustice, to the point where he's willing to take extreme militant action in potentially multiple nations. Retiring to live with the Air Nomads would require a breaking point for his character where he decided to give up on destabilising all world governments, which he currently seems to see as the only just and necessary course of action.

It's definitely a cool idea though, and I could see it happening.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Not really. A lot of shows refuse to deal with the consequences of big events, but that doesn't mean the consequences of big events are not worth telling. There's this weird idea that escalation is an admirable goal for every form of fiction and the only way a threat can be meaningful if it is bigger. However that leads to really lovely writing where they keep trying to top themselves and make the Biggest Threat The World Has Ever Seen every season/film/book/whatever.

I don't know man. The fact that an overwhelming majority of stories throughout time build to a climax tends to disagree with you. Not to gloss over your point however, just because they could fall back on making bigger and bigger bads doesn't mean that is what would have happened.

What I'm saying is that this storyline should have come before season 2's. The series should have lead to the fight with Avatar's antithesis.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Stumpus posted:

I don't know man. The fact that an overwhelming majority of stories throughout time build to a climax tends to disagree with you. Not to gloss over your point however, just because they could fall back on making bigger and bigger bads doesn't mean that is what would have happened.

What I'm saying is that this storyline should have come before season 2's. The series should have lead to the fight with Avatar's antithesis.

Just because a lot of things do it, does not make it a good idea

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stumpus posted:

The story couldn't have come before Season 2 because a major point of the story is that the major events in Season 2 caused a shift in the entire world and that the giant fight at the end of Season 2 had serious long-reaching consequences.

And yes, stories build up to climaxes within the context of their own story but there are plenty of examples of stories that don't feel the need for the next story to be a giant ramping up of the stakes but rather to deal with the fallout and consequences of the previous story.

To use a pretty recent example: Iron Man 3 is a direct sequel to the Avengers, with one of the major plot points being Tony Stark dealing with the aftereffect and consequences of fighting an alien army headed by a literal god. However the actual plot is a smaller-key story involving Tony Stark's own development and his battle against an rear end in a top hat scientist and a terrorist. This is a better plot both from a storytelling perspective and a character perspective than "Tony Stark fights double-aliens."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To use a pretty recent example: Iron Man 3 is a direct sequel to the Avengers, with one of the major plot points being Tony Stark dealing with the aftereffect and consequences of fighting an alien army headed by a literal god. However the actual plot is a smaller-key story involving Tony Stark's own development and his battle against an rear end in a top hat scientist and a terrorist. This is a better plot both from a storytelling perspective and a character perspective than "Tony Stark fights double-aliens."

Or to use a less recent example, Empire Strikes Back is considered by a lot of people to be the best Star Wars movie, but it's largely about Luke saving his friends and his struggle to become a Jedi after a movie about destroying the Death Star.

A lot of ongoing story arcs will have a more personal journey for the protagonist after a larger-scale conflict, it's a perfectly reasonable type of story beat.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The story couldn't have come before Season 2 because a major point of the story is that the major events in Season 2 caused a shift in the entire world and that the giant fight at the end of Season 2 had serious long-reaching consequences.

And yes, stories build up to climaxes within the context of their own story but there are plenty of examples of stories that don't feel the need for the next story to be a giant ramping up of the stakes but rather to deal with the fallout and consequences of the previous story.

The fact that this season build off the harmonic convergence is purely ancillary.

1. New air benders isn't critical to the plot, other than Zaheer. But see 2.

2. Zaheer could have just been an air bender from the start. His motivations didn't change from before he got air ending. Yes, he says air ending was a sign but that isn't critical either. It's all just filler and he can simply be an air bender from the start.

3. There may be some later tie in things, but it doesn't effect the overall plot which is to destabilize society, and for Korra to save it.

In essence, season 2 was season 3 but on a larger scale. Season 3 builds better into season 2 than vice versa for the following reason:

By seeing that Zaheer fails, Korra's uncle doesn't give up, he escalates it. He decides to become the Avatar and carry on what Zaheer started, better than Zaheer could do.

The way it is now feels like watching Luke kill the emperor and then seeing a movie about Vader trying to turn Luke to their side.

Free your mind bro.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

Or to use a less recent example, Empire Strikes Back is considered by a lot of people to be the best Star Wars movie, but it's largely about Luke saving his friends and his struggle to become a Jedi after a movie about destroying the Death Star.

A lot of ongoing story arcs will have a more personal journey for the protagonist after a larger-scale conflict, it's a perfectly reasonable type of story beat.

But this doesn't really fit here, as Empire was the second part of a three part story. Lots of stories have a more personal arc in the second act before the climactic 3rd act.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stumpus posted:

The fact that this season build off the harmonic convergence is purely ancillary.

1. New air benders isn't critical to the plot, other than Zaheer. But see 2.

2. Zaheer could have just been an air bender from the start. His motivations didn't change from before he got air ending. Yes, he says air ending was a sign but that isn't critical either. It's all just filler and he can simply be an air bender from the start.

3. There may be some later tie in things, but it doesn't effect the overall plot which is to destabilize society, and for Korra to save it.

In essence, season 2 was season 3 but on a larger scale. Season 3 builds better into season 2 than vice versa for the following reason:

By seeing that Zaheer fails, Korra's uncle doesn't give up, he escalates it. He decides to become the Avatar and carry on what Zaheer started, better than Zaheer could do.

The way it is now feels like watching Luke kill the emperor and then seeing a movie about Vader trying to turn Luke to their side.

Free your mind bro.

Uh, considering that so far the season has largely dealt with the new Airbenders, and that the villain is a new airbender, saying that the new airbenders are unimportant to the plot is pretty drat disingenuous.

Zaheer being an airbender from the start would be kinda weird in a series where "there are no other Airbenders" has been a major plot point on several occasions!

Stumpus posted:

But this doesn't really fit here, as Empire was the second part of a three part story. Lots of stories have a more personal arc in the second act before the climactic 3rd act.

Boy, if only there was another season of Korra coming after this one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What, monarchy ending in Ba Sing Se isn't a big enough story for you?

Like "Oh no, the entire existence of the world isn't being threatened by an apocalyptic evil, this is so low-key!" come the gently caress on.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Stumpus posted:

So, it makes sense for part 2 of a three part story, but if it's part 3 of a 4 part story, then it would be a terrible idea!

What makes you think that this isn't the more personal arc before the climactic final book?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I don't really care about the exact scale of whatever 'cuz this season's been giving me a whole lot of what I've been wanting from the series. The best franchises are the ones that have been able to deal with both big and small threats and have them feel like necessary, riveting stories.

Moreover, there's a lot of finer bits of characterization here that only work because they grew out of events that have already transpired. It's not as simple as switching the places of two big threats and just calling it a day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fun thing to remember:

If this season was Season 2, instead of Mako becoming a non-poo poo character, he'd still be in a relationship with Korra.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
It's a moot point because it's just my opinion, but all of these criticisms, like how story beats have grown from one season the other makes my opinion implausible doesn't really hold.

All if the minor character progression that happened in the previous seasons could have happened regardless of who the villain was.

All of these arguments assume that the previous stories were already written in stone and could not have been told another way.

I have to address Zaheer's lack of bending. Yeah, I forgot that there was a lack of air benders.

So what? Why not have Zaheer a non bender. That makes him more interesting as a villain anyway, especially if after him the next big bad is the ultimate bender.

And before someone chimes in with saying : but without air bending he couldn't have escaped prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will simply refer you to above.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stumpus posted:

It's a moot point because it's just my opinion, but all of these criticisms, like how story beats have grown from one season the other makes my opinion implausible doesn't really hold.

All if the minor character progression that happened in the previous seasons could have happened regardless of who the villain was.

All of these arguments assume that the previous stories were already written in stone and could not have been told another way.

I have to address Zaheer's lack of bending. Yeah, I forgot that there was a lack of air benders.

So what? Why not have Zaheer a non bender. That makes him more interesting as a villain anyway, especially if after him the next big bad is the ultimate bender.

And before someone chimes in with saying : but without air bending he couldn't have escaped prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will simply refer you to above.

Because Zaheer's airbending seems to be a fairly important plot point and from a writing perspective has been used multiple times due to his ability to enter the spirit world as a high-level airbender. Zaheer being an airbender is fairly central to who he has been for the entirety of the plot so far and is self-justification for his ideals.

Your argument is basically "Well, if they ignored setting elements, changed huge chunks of the plot, rewrote characterization, altered the storyline, and so-on, they could have put this season first!!" At that point you're not wrong but it applies to literally every form of media ever.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I wonder if Zaheer could've astrally projected himself while he was in prison. Would've made his stay less boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

You know, I wonder if Zaheer could've astrally projected himself while he was in prison. Would've made his stay less boring.

It looks like the reason he went to Republic City as a fake-acolyte in the first place was to steal some information on how to do it, so he probably couldn't do it until he was an Airbender. Jinora also mentions that it is a high-level airbender technique.

• Locked thread