Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
So what's this fading around the edges of the negative? Is the rodinol off? It's been sitting in a bottle the last 4 months... is it hosed? I thought it had a good shelf life :(
Once I'd developed they looked fine but after about ten minutes the edges started fading away like this...

Other possibility is that it's old fixer/stop? I'm using kodak indicating stop bath and ilford hypofam for fixer. The fixer was a pretty fresh bottle but it has been sitting there a few months...

HP5+ in R09 1:50 11 mins 20c mod 54

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sludge Tank posted:

So what's this fading around the edges of the negative? Is the rodinol off? It's been sitting in a bottle the last 4 months... is it hosed? I thought it had a good shelf life :(
Once I'd developed they looked fine but after about ten minutes the edges started fading away like this...

idk what's up with that but I've seen a bunch of your pictures the last few months and please keep on doing what you're doing because it's rad.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

Other possibility is that it's old fixer/stop? I'm using kodak indicating stop bath and ilford hypofam for fixer. The fixer was a pretty fresh bottle but it has been sitting there a few months...

Looks like uneven water drying to me. How are you hanging your negs to dry? I put mine up by a corner, not level. Also, how much Photo-flo are you using?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah there seems to be a common theme when they're drying this weird fading comes in from the drying corner. Hanging them on a coathanger with film clips. Some just dried now and the fading disapeared, but otehres it didn't.

I'm using 10 drops of photo-flo for 2L water... maybe that stuff is out of date?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah there seems to be a common theme when they're drying this weird fading comes in from the drying corner. Hanging them on a coathanger with film clips. Some just dried now and the fading disapeared, but otehres it didn't.

I'm using 10 drops of photo-flo for 2L water... maybe that stuff is out of date?

That sounds like a lot of photo-flo, but the marks don't look like too much is the problem. Do you have really hard water? It looks like a problem I was having where all the water runs to the bottom of the neg, then dries, leaving mineral or other deposits as it dries. My solution to this problem was to use deionized or at least distilled water for the final rinse.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm on tankwater. I'm not sure... I'm sort of leaning towards how the film stored/handled... plus it got run through a bunch of x rays... and sat in a loving suitcase on a hot deck of a ship for two hours while I was waiting for the helicopter to bring my luggage back to me.
E: the it seems to be fading from the top of the negative, where it's being hung, not the bottom, so it's not like a deposit issue. That main big top right corner was where it was hanging from. Weird.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 31, 2014

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Yeah, no, it's definitely your water.

I only use enough deionized water to completely immerse a sheet of 4x5 - definitely not 2L. More like 600mL for my graduated cylinder. Give it a shot.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

This owns bones.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Black and Gold, Istanbul by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

basch
May 24, 2014

I bought a Pentax ME Super off ebay recently, and what better way to test it than a cat cafe right? :v:

Thing is I didn't expect ISO 400 film to look so noisy. It's lomography film (in my defence, it was on offer) if that makes a difference. Would switching films help or should I just shoot at lower ISOs instead?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

basch posted:

Thing is I didn't expect ISO 400 film to look so noisy. It's lomography film (in my defence, it was on offer) if that makes a difference. Would switching films help or should I just shoot at lower ISOs instead?

Yeah lomo film is poo poo, get a roll of Portra 400 and have yer mind blown.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Granted that that is kind of the point.

basch
May 24, 2014

I splurged and got 5, this better be good :)

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Here's a comparison -

35mm film, cheapo Kodak Ultramax:

Nearly exactly the same scene on medium format Portra:

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
cane by PC-P, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
After using exclusively vintage 35mm cameras for the past couple years, I managed to get a pretty good deal on a Nikon F100, which is compatible with modern AF-S lenses. So now I can use my DSLR lenses interchangeably between digital and film. Granted, they're made for crop sensors so I get a little bit of vignetting, but it's not too bad. Pretty excited about this.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

After using exclusively vintage 35mm cameras for the past couple years, I managed to get a pretty good deal on a Nikon F100, which is compatible with modern AF-S lenses. So now I can use my DSLR lenses interchangeably between digital and film. Granted, they're made for crop sensors so I get a little bit of vignetting, but it's not too bad. Pretty excited about this.

F100s own. I bought two of them in 2003 for like $800 a piece. Worth every penny.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

8th-snype posted:

F100s own. I bought two of them in 2003 for like $800 a piece. Worth every penny.

Concur with this, although I got one last year for a birthday present.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

BANME.sh posted:

You will love it.

The only camera that bests it is the F6, which can use both the old and new TTL strobes among other things, but the simple fact that the F100 uses AA batteries makes it a winner.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah after playing around with it for a night, this thing is a beast. Feels way more expensive than my D5100 and will probably outlive it.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I shoot 35mm film on my ME Super, but lately I've been thinking about picking up another film body, something that I can slap my EF-mount lenses on. Is there a Canon body that just rocks and isn't super expensive? I tend to shoot more medium format than 35mm, but my film classes start up soon and those work (at least at first) in 35mm. It'd be nice to have a wider range of lenses available.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
The Canon EOS 3 is dope.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
EOS 3 if you have the funds ($200-350). It's basically a 5Dmk3 film body (almost).

If you want to save some money, A2, Élan II or Élan 7 should only run you $25-75 or so.

I don't think it's worth it to go any older than those models.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Tony Two Bapes posted:

The Canon EOS 3 is dope.

Oh wow, 45 point eye control? Keh has some in stock, too. Damnit. About to blow money visiting the Pacific Northwest land of the tastemakers. Maybe I'll have to find $200 and change in the budget...

E:

Mightaswell posted:

EOS 3 if you have the funds ($200-350). It's basically a 5Dmk3 film body (almost).

Yeah, think I just convinced myself looking at it. I hate that photography has made $200/$300 seem like not that much.

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 7, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I managed to talk myself out out of an EOS 3 only because I found a mint Élan II with a battery and lens for $25 locally.

I'll still probably buy one eventually.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Shellman posted:

Oh wow, 45 point eye control? Keh has some in stock, too. Damnit. About to blow money visiting the Pacific Northwest land of the tastemakers. Maybe I'll have to find $200 and change in the budget...

E:

Yeah, think I just convinced myself looking at it. I hate that photography has made $200/$300 seem like not that much.

Come to the land of the tastemakers and buy my EOS 3 :shobon: I have it listed in the buy/sell thread somewhere...

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
The EOS 3 is the F100 of canons. If you don't want to spend that much, there's a couple of camera stores in Seattle with a boatload of the cheaper EOS models.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
:siren: I'd strongly advise against buying a cheaper EOS film model :siren: They REALLY weren't built to last like the older FD bodies. I've had two EOS 5s over the years, both have had body problems. A lot of the parts are made of cheap plastic and the years haven't been kind to the dials and stuff. I've also had an EOS 500, which had a shutter issue. I've read from people here that a lot of the older EOS models have the same sticky shutter problem.

If I was getting an EOS film body nowadays, I'd only go for the EOS3 or the 1-V (:worship:)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shellman posted:

Wife has an eos 30 (Elan 7e in the US) and it works pretty brilliantly. Using it with a 35 is what convinced me to get a d800 and 2 primes when I upgraded.

They're quite cheap too, so you can stick a 50 on one and not care too much what happens to it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

:siren: I'd strongly advise against buying a cheaper EOS film model :siren: They REALLY weren't built to last like the older FD bodies. I've had two EOS 5s over the years, both have had body problems. A lot of the parts are made of cheap plastic and the years haven't been kind to the dials and stuff. I've also had an EOS 500, which had a shutter issue. I've read from people here that a lot of the older EOS models have the same sticky shutter problem.

If I was getting an EOS film body nowadays, I'd only go for the EOS3 or the 1-V (:worship:)

Yeah but if you get something like the EOS 33/Elan 7 whatever for $30 that is practically free.

I will be picking up an EOS 3 at some stage though...

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
New camera new lens 420 shoot Portra erry dayyyyyyyyy

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Okay, I was wrong, I'd just been thinking about selling my EOS 3. Go check it out if you want one!

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
a bicep?

V by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

a bicep?

V by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Well this owns.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Aw man I'm going to get into some double exposures over this weekend, those last few have been really cool.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
links by PC-P, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

I love this.

First test roll through my new F100 came out well. A little bit of vignetting using my 35mm 1.8G but not bad.

Expired Kodak Gold 200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

My mate found this in all his poo poo and wants to know if he can get film for it