Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I'm stoked to play it and I am overjoyed with all the advice, truly I can't stress that enough.

Hopefully I can wrangle up some practice games before I ship myself ~1,000 miles north, but I just don't get enough opportunities sadly with my unusual weekends and work hours. Either way it will get me off my rear end and finally get those seekers painted, probably my plague drones too.

Back in 6th when I did manage to play it was a lot of 1-3 FMC with 9 screamer/15 hounds and a grinder or two so this shouldn't be much different. I always deployed everything and marched up the table into assault while horrors were surprisingly hard to remove thanks to great defensive abilities and my midfield aegis.

This list looks like it'll be very similar but less reliant on FMC, which I might have been leaning on too much as the 3+ knights started showing up. I think you are right that I was too pessimistic about the codex, I guess it was just a bit of a hobby funk that layered on top of my pet units (psykers, FMC, scout-assault) drastically changing which soured me to my daemons. The field is just so full or a wide variety of lists and killy units that I was having a disappointing time making a true "all comers list" that felt solid. Everything dies to thunderfire/wyvern/knights/serpents, except FMCreatures, but they don't punch with the same power anymore. But time has passed, the money has been paid and I'm feeling the itch to play again. This feels surprisingly good, and my expectations are probably a bit more reasonable now as well.

As far as tactics go, I assume I should deploy everything and go for broke early? That is normally my auto pilot anyway. I was never very good at FMCircus since I would charge headlong into battle instead of flying off the table for 5 turns. I assume I roll Divination over Malefic with my herald. Nova has a unique interpretation of Psyker focus and Chaos focus:
The min/max-er inside wants to only pick one tree to get 5 powers for the price of 3. Either way I don't have a poo poo-ton of dice so I expect to maybe cast one or two defensive powers and try summoning something cool from my horrors (Holy poo poo, 3-power horrors!). Hopefully something like shrouding for 2+ jink screamers, any combo of Invis/Grimoire to Seekers/Hounds and maybe some 4++ in-between if others fail. Although 2+ cover has been my Achilles heel in the past once ignore cover and assault got involved, but 2+ (cover)reroll is so easy to get and oh so sweet for my simple brain to overlook!

But to say again, thanks a bunch for the conversation and all the help. Hopefully one day I will meet you at NoVA or I will become bold enough to branch out to some other event more centrally located.

Yeah that Nova Rule for gett chaos focus and primaris focus is loving retarded. I dontdiagree but still that's crazy.

their psycic rules are kind of crazy. Someone cna take a Daemon summon a runn the tournament over. Not to mention Grey KNights ever eveyone else.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh hai guys howz it goi

...ing

:downs:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
It's going 6" backwards every turn because that giant piece of turd won't be able to catch me before it's dead.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That sculpt always gives me a chuckle.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is that crazy Mechanicus mech?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that Nova Rule for gett chaos focus and primaris focus is loving retarded. I dontdiagree but still that's crazy.

their psycic rules are kind of crazy. Someone cna take a Daemon summon a runn the tournament over. Not to mention Grey KNights ever eveyone else.

Are...are you okay?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I'm stoked to play it and I am overjoyed with all the advice, truly I can't stress that enough.

Hopefully I can wrangle up some practice games before I ship myself ~1,000 miles north, but I just don't get enough opportunities sadly with my unusual weekends and work hours. Either way it will get me off my rear end and finally get those seekers painted, probably my plague drones too.

If you're ever up for a test game shoot me a PM. I have a pretty flexible schedule and would make a drive to Tampa if you're interested.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

zeal posted:

Its an Admech monstrous robit with a 48" ignores cover large blast ordinance plasma cannon for a shoulder, 2+ 5++, T8, and 4 wounds

Come play 30k my lord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

zeal posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/THANATAR_SIEGE-AUTOMATA.html

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Its an Admech monstrous robit with a 48" ignores cover large blast ordinance plasma cannon for a shoulder, 2+ 5++, T8, and 4 wounds

Come play 30k my lord

Its more than just a plasma cannon, its a plasma MORTAR. That barrage kicks rear end, its also disgusting with a cyber occularus giving the unit interceptor. It outright deleted a plasmagun toting support squad last game of 30k I played the second they touched the ground.
Also its re-roll cover, not ignore it.

E: that model is growing on me like a fungus, I dont know how or why, but at this point I wouldn't be upset if one showed up on my doorstep. Just shave down the cowl to something reasonable.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 9, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good call. Barrage ignores some kinds of cover, but the re-roll ontop is nice. At 240pts its a mean machine.

I love how most Legion/Admech lists have tons of interceptor tricks. It's nice to be able to cancel out drop pods and deep striker suicide units as your army lumbers forward.

e: I can remove the image and replace it with dickbutt if it helps you not buy it

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 9, 2014

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

BULBASAUR posted:

Come play 30k my lord

good heavens keep that monstrosity away from my precious eldar

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So can someone explain to me how exactly barrage works?

It ignores cover from LoS objects correct? Area terrain is no longer a thing in 7th edition, correct?

So only Stealth/Shroud/Jink still gets cover saves from barrage, correct?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Good call. Barrage ignores some kinds of cover, but the re-roll ontop is nice. At 240pts its a mean machine.

I love how most Legion/Admech lists have tons of interceptor tricks. It's nice to be able to cancel out drop pods and deep striker suicide units as your army lumbers forward.

e: I can remove the image and replace it with dickbutt if it helps you not buy it

I wouldn't buy it unless I came into a ton of money to burn, people could buy it for me. I would rather buy Stonecrushers with flails and another malanthrope. Tried them out in a game a few days ago, they killed everything they touched, including each other (gently caress CCB's with mindshackle scarabs, took control of one and it just caved in the faces of the other two in the brood)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Boon posted:

It ignores cover from LoS objects correct? Area terrain is no longer a thing in 7th edition, correct?

You treat LoS as coming from the direction of the template. With some luck on the scatter, it generally means that targets can't claim cover saves for being obscured. There are still some area-type terrain pieces though.

In unrelated news, I love using my four Biovores.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh hai guys howz it goi

Reminder that this... thing... is a Jump Monstrous Creature with a 6" move for all intents and purposes. Also, what's the size of that base? Looks to be about a 5" diameter which makes leaping in the movement phase laughably pointless. At least Stonecrushers and Malanthropes are good now!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

HiveCommander posted:

Reminder that this... thing... is a Jump Monstrous Creature with a 6" move for all intents and purposes. Also, what's the size of that base? Looks to be about a 5" diameter which makes leaping in the movement phase laughably pointless. At least Stonecrushers and Malanthropes are good now!

It's a good thing that it has poo poo rules, because now there's no reason to buy the terrible model.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Posing it on those little bits of terrain makes me think that its wearing heels or platform shoes.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Spotted the Scything Testicles.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's a good thing that it has poo poo rules, because now there's no reason to buy the terrible model.

Good point, but I'd still like to see some large-scale Forgeworld Tyranids that aren't poo poo. This was their change to give us something that could be a good foil to IKs and it's got a great statline, it's just hampered by slow-rear end movement, a special rule that is almost literally there only for a slight improvement to HoW (HoW attacks are still lovely and AP- anyway, at least Forgeworld got it right with the Stonecrusher) and it's long chain of special rules that grant it FnP are useless for the 3 turns it spends stumbling across the board.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 9, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Good point, but I'd still like to see some large-scale Forgeworld Tyranids that aren't poo poo. This was their change to give us something that could be a good foil to IKs and it's got a great statline, it's just hampered by slow-rear end movement, a special rule that is almost literally there only for a slight improvement to HoW (HoW attacks are still lovely and AP- anyway, at least Forgeworld got it right with the Stonecrusher) and it's long chain of special rules that grant it FnP are useless for the 3 turns it spends stumbling across the board.

I bought one. SUCK IT.

... And blew all my model budget on malethropes and carnifex. Luckily I still have plenty left in my liquor budget! I am a sad person.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

As far as tactics go, I assume I should deploy everything and go for broke early? That is normally my auto pilot anyway. I was never very good at FMCircus since I would charge headlong into battle instead of flying off the table for 5 turns. I assume I roll Divination over Malefic with my herald. Nova has a unique interpretation of Psyker focus and Chaos focus:
The min/max-er inside wants to only pick one tree to get 5 powers for the price of 3. Either way I don't have a poo poo-ton of dice so I expect to maybe cast one or two defensive powers and try summoning something cool from my horrors (Holy poo poo, 3-power horrors!). Hopefully something like shrouding for 2+ jink screamers, any combo of Invis/Grimoire to Seekers/Hounds and maybe some 4++ in-between if others fail. Although 2+ cover has been my Achilles heel in the past once ignore cover and assault got involved, but 2+ (cover)reroll is so easy to get and oh so sweet for my simple brain to overlook!

But to say again, thanks a bunch for the conversation and all the help. Hopefully one day I will meet you at NoVA or I will become bold enough to branch out to some other event more centrally located.

OK, cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't steering you into an army you weren't interested in.

The list is pretty much gonna wanna just "gotta go fast" straight at the enemy, to be sure, but the important decision will be where you aim each of your living missiles at. Different squads are gonna do better or worse against different targets, and deciding when you can afford to multicharge is a really big deal. Read the multiple assaults rules! They're not actually insanely complicated, but it's something very few players understand correctly and it's something you will probably end up doing pretty often.

Unfortunately the list doesn't start with a ton of dice, so you're basically going to be focusing on casting 2-3 "good" powers each turn. However, one of the big tricks is that your Portalglyph can summon up lovely little units of Horrors, each of which generate you an extra WC die on appearance- so chances are you go up in power generation over the course of a game, not down. Don't be afraid to use Summoning for additional units of Horrors for the same reason, although Bloodletters and Daemonettes are also very useful.

In an ideal world, Be'lakor flies in between the Screamers and Flesh Hounds; he casts Shrouding on himself (giving the bonus to both of them) and Invisibility on the Seekers; Grimoire gets used on whichever of the three units you consider most important at the time, or alternately one of the Soul Grinders or something. Remember that FMCs run 2d6", which should help a lot in keeping up with the other models in the army.

Sadly, I have not gotten to go over to NOVA yet because I'm a Pacific Northwester; as much as I love this game, shelling out $2,000+ for a tournament (airfare, hotels, food, entry fee, etc) is a bit outside of my price range. But if you're ever coming to anything west coast-y, definitely look me up.

Dulkor posted:

Quick question. If I felt compelled to get a Nephilim kit just because I think it looks cool, what would be the least useless load-out to give it for the tabletop?

I go back and forth on this one; the Darktalon is actually pretty horrifying when you combine it with a Banner of Devastation because suddenly you're dropping a ton of Bolter shots for not very many points, but that basically requires building an extremely niche list. If you aren't doing that, go for the Nephelim and the Mega-Bolter version- it's not terribly impressive, but eight BS5 shots per turn, plus random missiles, is at least sorta okay.

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh hai guys howz it goi

...ing

Urgh. The legs on this thing still really, really bother me. I mean, none of it really looks "good," but the legs and posing on it are horribly off.

Saw a guy using one at BAO, was not at all impressed. It did exactly what you would expect, got shot to pieces before reaching combat. Malanthropes, on the other hand, are badass and open up entirely new strategies for the Tyranid codex.

Boon posted:

So if you fire a Barrage weapon, once the final position of the blast marker is determined you essentially treat the center of the blast as the position where the shot originated for determining cover and removing casualties. This means that, generally speaking, units won't have cover against it- although this is not always the case. Area terrain as a rule technically no longer exists, but many pieces of terrain (ruins, forests, craters) still function pretty much the same way, so really it's still there.

Remember that if a barrage weapon can't see its target or is inside its minimum range, you won't get to subtract your Ballistic Skill from the scatter distance.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh hai guys howz it goi

...ing

Is it just me or does the Dimacheron look like it's out of scale? To me it doesn't look like a very large model made for a 28mm Heroic game. It looks more like they took a small 28mm Heroic scale model and blew it up which makes it look like some kind of "limited edition" display model.

Thanatar Siege Automata owns though.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Deanut Pancer posted:

edit: ^^ Why doesn't wolf-dolph have a red nose?

You can't post awesome results like that without linking to the tutorial that you used :stare:

I return many moons hence from teacher training and whatnot.

I used the regular GW ork skin tutorial for the skin (TL;DR: base coat WAAAGH! Flesh, green wash, then highlight with a lighter green).

The lightning effects I did by using a light purple to draw the lightning streaks with broad strokes; I then added pink lines in the centers of those lines; finally, I added even thinner white lines at vertices where the lightning forks, or in places it seemed especially "strong." The end-game was dry-brushing the purple-white glow effect with purple, then white around all the warp-glowing spheres. This tutorial covered essentially the same method.

I'm working on a Mek Gun now; I have one built as-is, and am pumped to begin converting more from the Trukk kit as outlined here.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Remember that if a barrage weapon can't see its target or is inside its minimum range, you won't get to subtract your Ballistic Skill from the scatter distance.

Whoa, whoa! You can't direct fire anymore?

Also I was playing in a tournament, despite not being very competitive or having a competitive list, and my opponents insisted that barrage weapons always scatter. There's no direct hit for them.

I conceded the point because the guy was adamant and I don't have a 7th ed rule book. I just wanted to play four games of forty kay in a day to see if I could maintain my sanity.

E: Preemptive yeah the guy was kind of a douche. He's not in my regular gaming group so it ain't no thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sir Teabag posted:

Also I was playing in a tournament, despite not being very competitive or having a competitive list, and my opponents insisted that barrage weapons always scatter. There's no direct hit for them.

I conceded the point because the guy was adamant and I don't have a 7th ed rule book. I just wanted to play four games of forty kay in a day to see if I could maintain my sanity.

E: Preemptive yeah the guy was kind of a douche. He's not in my regular gaming group so it ain't no thing.

Next time just ask literally anyone else in the room because that's a really basic rule.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sir Teabag posted:

Sort of. 7E changed the terminology and stuff somewhat; also, I got it slightly wrong above because the Barrage rules are confusing and keep changing. If you can see your target, you get to subtract your BS from the scatter roll- i.e. the old "direct fire" mode. However, cover (and casualty removal) still happens from the center of the blast marker in this case. If you can't see your target and they are not within your minimum range, you are still allowed to fire, but you don't subtract your BS in this case.

So inside your minimum range, you can only "direct fire" barrage weapons.

And no, barrage weapons don't always scatter. The person may have either been thinking of certain specific weapons (Orbital Bombardments, for example, which are barrage weapons but have additional rules about scattering) or some of the older-edition rules. Or they were just a cheater.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So inside minimum range you can't indirect fire basically with a barrage

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Looks like it just dropped a sick burn on the Thanatar and is moonwalking away.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I can't even begin to imagine how a Dima could drop a sick burn on a model that looks a hell of a lot better than itself and probably has better rules.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Humor is his only worthwhile defense stat.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Dimachaeron description amuses me:

quote:

able to leap a Leman Russ battle tank without breaking stride

...except that's not true, because the width of the base plus the width of a Russ is more than the 6" movement the Dima has. It can barely jump over a bike, assuming it's facing the right way.

At least the other FW beasties are decent. Just made my first two stonecrushers, still waiting on the Malanthropes to arrive :(

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Opinion on my amry Idea and help

Okay is starts w/

Belakor
3 Flamer Soul Grinders
5 Murder Packs

= 1360

I want to add

Heralds of Slaanesh Level 2
Herald of Slaanesh Level 2 w/ Steed and Grimoire
Herald w/ Portaglpyh Level 1

Seekers of Slaanesh

Daemonettes

Can't seem to work out the points though on it. Any help? It's all about gettiign invisbility off .

Maybe just get rid of Belakor? And go for

Keeper Of Seekers
Daemon Lash PRince
2 Soul Grinders
5 Murder Pakcks

What's waaaay less points.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Hey, it looks like the space wolf supplement has leaked as well...

Warlords

Relics

Finally, some weildy AP2 for wolves!

Some old terminator armor that has +10pt for 4++. It sounds like people are already saying that a wolf-lord can wear it, then buy a wolf-mount and then deepstrike as well. Wolf-mound and terminator armor are mutually exclusive, but this upgrade only mentions it's terminator in the italics so who cares. Does he actually have terminator armor? Impossible to say!?

And poo poo, a 10pt belt that will make my daemons fail fear. They are going to make fear matter if it kills them.

Detachment (I hope you like elites)

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 9, 2014

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
35 pts for what is a essentially a master crafted power axe that swings at initiative? Not bad.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The image of a Riptide pilot seeing that cloak and then just flipping poo poo is hilarious to me.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hey, it looks like the space wolf supplement has leaked as well...

Warlords

Relics

Finally, some weildy AP2 for wolves!

Some old terminator armor that has +10pt for 4++. It sounds like people are already saying that a wolf-lord can wear it, then buy a wolf-mount and then deepstrike as well. Wolf-mound and terminator armor are mutually exclusive, but this upgrade only mentions it's terminator in the italics so who cares. Does he actually have terminator armor? Impossible to say!?

Weird, that armor is just armor. It doesn't include weapons like normal terminator armor. So it's 50 points for armor with a 4+ invulnerable and It Will Not Die.

Some of the relics look pretty fun, but that armor raises a few questions. Though I'll admit that the idea of a dude teleporting in on a giant wolf is kind of hilarious to me. Do the supplements not include the typical wargear chart that says what replaces what and what's mutually exclusive? For example, the claws specifically mention that they replace all of a model's weapons while the others don't mention it at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The more I play with them I think I like SLaanesh summoning stuff more just so I can get Psychic Scream and Outflank , but don't get the exter Warp Charge as Tzeetch. I just can't figure it out Grrrrr.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 9, 2014

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

The more I play with them I think I like SLaanesh summoning stuff more just so I can get Psychic Scream and Outflank , but don't get the exter Warp Charge as Tzeetch.

What do you mean, summoning heralds or daemonettes ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like that every codex now gets day one DLC lol

• Locked thread