Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

Next time just ask literally anyone else in the room because that's a really basic rule.

AbusePuppy posted:

Sort of. 7E changed the terminology and stuff somewhat; also, I got it slightly wrong above because the Barrage rules are confusing and keep changing. If you can see your target, you get to subtract your BS from the scatter roll- i.e. the old "direct fire" mode. However, cover (and casualty removal) still happens from the center of the blast marker in this case. If you can't see your target and they are not within your minimum range, you are still allowed to fire, but you don't subtract your BS in this case.

So inside your minimum range, you can only "direct fire" barrage weapons.

And no, barrage weapons don't always scatter. The person may have either been thinking of certain specific weapons (Orbital Bombardments, for example, which are barrage weapons but have additional rules about scattering) or some of the older-edition rules. Or they were just a cheater.

Phew, that clears things up nicely thanks! I was positive that he had it confused with orbital bombardment or an MoO or something. But him being the one at the table with the rulebook I just conceded the point. It's not worth arguing with hams that are desperate to win, and it's highly unlikely I'll ever have to play him again. So whatever, water off my back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What about not going with a Major heavy hitter? for a Daemon army? Relying on summoning through Possession? Like a Nurgle Palaquin w/ Biomancy, in a squad?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

What do you mean, summoning heralds or daemonettes ?

I think he has been drunk for like three days straight. That or he has given up actually reading his posts.

He said before that he liked to use Sacrifice to plop a Herald of Slaanesh and use the free 30pt upgrade to buy a Mastery level which gets psychic shriek guaranteed. But with the outflank mention I suppose he is making Slaanesh lists that use this method to deploy with their fancy steeds who then also summon Slaanesh units?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

One of the NOVA rulings and the upcming faq as well will usually follow that multiple psykers in the same unit that are different pyskers can cast the same spell which will occur.

So

1 Herald of Slaanesh , Level 1 w/ Steed, Level 2
1 Herald Of Slaanesht, Level 2 w/ Steed , Icon Of Excess

Fast Attack
15 Steeds of Slaanesh w/ Musician, Heart Seeker

Is a unit that can come on board then allow a deep striking demon to deep strike with in range ( Like Soul Grinders)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

WhiteOutMouse posted:

That or he has given up actually reading his posts.

I know I have.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

theironjef posted:

Looks like it just dropped a sick burn on the Thanatar and is moonwalking away.

HiveCommander posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how a Dima could drop a sick burn on a model that looks a hell of a lot better than itself and probably has better rules.

"Yo momma so fat she choked up a digestion pool!"

"Yo momma so ugly she got the Fear USR!"

"Yo momma so fat, when she wears a X shirt, Vendettas try to land on her!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's pretty simple, you take Heralds of Slaanesh in a huge squad outflank them and fire off 4 to Pschic Screams and 2D6 Lash Whips each. Then Summon Deamons.

Ally

Herald of Slaanesh, Lash, Level 2, Grimoire , Steed 145
Herald of Slanesh, Lash , Level 1, 90
Herald of Slaanesh , Lash , Level 2, ,steed 110
Heral Of Slaanesh , Level 1 120 Excesss
Troops

17 (Icon ) Daemonettes 150

H. Support
Soul Grinder Tzeeentch, Bale 160

Main Chaos Space Marines

Chaos Space Marine Sorcerer Level 3, Terminator Armour, Spell Familiar 150
Chaos Space Marine Sorceror Level 2, Terminator Amrmour Spell Familiar 125

Troops
10 Cultist 50
10 Cultist 50

Fast Attack

H. Support
Forge Fiend 125
Oblierator x 2 Mark of Nurgle

Aegis w/ Com Relay

Formation Murder Pack

Troops

Comes out to exactly 1997 ( i think)

Formation

Murder Pack 500

First Death Star

4 Heralds of Slaanesh , 2 Rolling Telepathy and Malefic, 2 Rolling exclusive Telepathy, 3 Have Lashes, 1 have Grimoire, 17 Daemonettes, w/ Icon of Excess to reroll

So 4 Psych Schrieks, 2 Rolls on Malifc to Summon, 3 2d6 Shots they can shoot elswhere.

2nd Death Star, Soul Grinder /w Mark of Tzeentch w/ Grimoire or Invisibility

Portable Death Start
2 Sorcerers in Term armour rolling for Gate of Infinity ot Acmmompany the Oblitearors and can bounce around with them

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 9, 2014

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Tequila Ranger posted:

"Yo momma so fat she choked up a digestion pool!"

"Yo momma so ugly she got the Fear USR!"

"Yo momma so fat, when she wears a X shirt, Vendettas try to land on her!"

This post made me laugh, but it really shouldn't have made me laugh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think it's a pretty good army

Plenty of Anti Tank, not a of anti flyer unless you get possession.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

What is my best option to build a 200pt killteam out of these guys?

Should I buy an old Rhino to transport them?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Greyish Orange posted:

I hope you're painting them in bright 1ed color schemes.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Pierzak posted:

I will if you can convince me!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Pierzak posted:

Rogue Trader was generally fairly subdued in its color schemes, bizarre camo patterns notwithstanding. The general color palette of 40k didn't become cartoonishly bright til the early 90s and 2nd edition.

That being said, painting that squad up in a retro color scheme would be awesome. You could really easily put together a tactical squad and a rhino, but that would take you a little over 200 points if you gave them upgrades. It looks like you've got the power fist captain, two lasgun/boltgun guys, and two lascannon guys. Those are great old models though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That's exactly what I meant. I mean, just look at these:

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Pierzak posted:

That's exactly what I meant. I mean, just look at these:

Raptor legion may be the best bet, these are making me cry with my current painting skill.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The best part is that the old camo schemes were so garish it's impossible to imagine anything they'd blend into. There were some pretty legit paintjobs back then though:

Also, still trying to sell these roboskeletons:

SRM posted:

Does anyone want some Necrons? Because I'm selling some Necrons:

1 Necron Lord
2 Immortals
2 Flayed ones
2 Wraithers
1 Tomb Spyder
3 Destroyers
20 Warriors
5 bases of Scarabs
1 Monolith

They're mostly all painted, albeit pretty simply. Spyder, Flayed Ones, Immortals and Lord are all metal models. Looking for $150 for the lot of em.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
His power fist says BAM BAM. Amazing

AgentF
May 11, 2009
That Chaos Squat looks like a garbage can. It doesn't look even remotely threatening in battle.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SRM posted:

The best part is that the old camo schemes were so garish it's impossible to imagine anything they'd blend into. There were some pretty legit paintjobs back then though:

Love the random Atlanta Falcons logo on the Eldar jetbike.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm toying around with rebasing my warboss in a more substantial way, because the bases I won in the oath thread don't work with the crackle paint i've decided to use with my army. How would something like this be?

I'm going to try and paint it exactly like the boarding plank from the trukk he's usually riding, but far more distressed and scorched. I like scenic debris bases, but it sometimes seems unusual for two armies to be fighting over the debris from an unrelated army. So I figured, most of the time he's going to be charging out of an exploding trukk, so I may as well address that! I'm even thinking about doing some more greenstuff fire attempts to further drive the point home.

Too busy? Too tall? Too far out from the base? What are your thoughts? I thought it might look nice with some tiny washers and screws strewn about, and scorch marks on the ground. I could base my meganobz in a similar but more subtle way... Might be fun!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AgentF posted:

That Chaos Squat looks like a garbage can. It doesn't look even remotely threatening in battle.
Squat exo-armor tends to look like an egg with legs and choppy bits.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Greyish Orange posted:

What is my best option to build a 200pt killteam out of these guys?

Those are clearly Traveller Marines in Battle-Dress with FGMP-14's

They where also the very first 'Space Marines' - troll the gently caress out of your local GW - I wish I still had mine !

(edit a couple might have PGMP-15s)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I also love the vacuum cleaner looking thing on the captain's arm.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I'm going through C:SW and...145 points for a 3++ save Dreadnought that re-rolls pens and has 5 S10 attacks on the charge. In the Great Wolf detachment, these can be your mandatory choices. 180 points gives them deep strike.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So I'm going through C:SW and...145 points for a 3++ save Dreadnought that re-rolls pens and has 5 S10 attacks on the charge. In the Great Wolf detachment, these can be your mandatory choices. 180 points gives them deep strike.
Close combat Dreads, even in Drop Pods, have to stand around with their dicks in hand for a full turn before then can really do work. Even with a 3++ (which I think is just on the front arc?) there are plenty of things that ruin your day - all it takes is one failed save, and you can get stuck in place or cook off. Certain armies can just bog you down for multiple turns through Fearless troops as well. Would work best, I think, if paired with other Dreads or some troops to clear space, screen, and help the Dreads pick their own targets.

Actually, that would be a hilarious gimmick - Great Wolf Detachment, 8 Dreads in Drop Pods, your choice of HQ, 3 empty Drop Pods from FA, and then, say, two units of Grey Hunters/Blood Claws with Drop Pods. Total of 13 pods, and you have 6 Dreads of your choice hit the table turn 1. Napkin math says it clocks in under 1850 as well.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just finished a squad of six Swooping Hawks. These models are loving terrible with very little detail and awkward 2nd edition designs. That said, I think they turned out alright and I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

gently caress those mini's.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Von Humboldt posted:

Actually, that would be a hilarious gimmick - Great Wolf Detachment, 8 Dreads in Drop Pods, your choice of HQ, 3 empty Drop Pods from FA, and then, say, two units of Grey Hunters/Blood Claws with Drop Pods. Total of 13 pods, and you have 6 Dreads of your choice hit the table turn 1. Napkin math says it clocks in under 1850 as well.

Bjorn as the HQ. All dread battleforged army. Takes what the all terminator army tries to do and turns it up to 11.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Bjorn as the HQ. All dread battleforged army. Takes what the all terminator army tries to do and turns it up to 11.

This would actually max out at a pretty small army.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

I don't remember which one of you classy gentlemen it was who uploaded their work on converting a Hornet from bits of the basic tank chassis and Vyper, but thank you. It's taken a fair amount of sawing, but the project is progressing nicely and I'm quite happy with how it's going so far- I even managed to cram the crewman into the itty-bitty little cockpit space and get an engine strapped onto the back of it to match up with the FW version.

Pulse Lasers, here I come!

Boon posted:

Just finished a squad of six Swooping Hawks. These models are loving terrible with very little detail and awkward 2nd edition designs. That said, I think they turned out alright and I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

gently caress those mini's.

All of my Eldar aspect warriors are converted from other stuff (mostly DE) because I loathe the old 2E sculpts at this point. Not because they are atrocious per se- because for the era they were pretty good and even now they are at least sorta passable- but because I played Eldar back in the day as well and it depresses me every time I remember that most of them haven't gotten any significant updates since I was in junior high.

Von Humboldt posted:

Close combat Dreads, even in Drop Pods, have to stand around with their dicks in hand for a full turn before then can really do work. Even with a 3++ (which I think is just on the front arc?) there are plenty of things that ruin your day - all it takes is one failed save, and you can get stuck in place or cook off. Certain armies can just bog you down for multiple turns through Fearless troops as well. Would work best, I think, if paired with other Dreads or some troops to clear space, screen, and help the Dreads pick their own targets.

Yeah, having to sit for a turn is a big limiter, and faster armies will just jet away from you and leave you with 8"+ charges to make. I think the Storm Shield Dread also only has one weapon and I know its thing only applies in the front arc, so a single Weapon Destroyed or Immobilized result on the chart leaves you as a complete derp.

I definitely appreciate what GW is trying to do with Dreadnoughts- they've realized that ever since HP and Krak Grenades were introduced they've been loving terrible, but I still don't think they have a handle on it yet.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AbusePuppy posted:

All of my Eldar aspect warriors are converted from other stuff (mostly DE) because I loathe the old 2E sculpts at this point. Not because they are atrocious per se- because for the era they were pretty good and even now they are at least sorta passable- but because I played Eldar back in the day as well and it depresses me every time I remember that most of them haven't gotten any significant updates since I was in junior high.

Unless you're really young (or talking about Warp Spiders) this isn't true. Fire Dragons, Dire Avengers, Howling Banshees, Dark Reapers, and Striking Scorpions all were updated in the previous book (4th ed?) and also received updates with the 3rd edition book. You're two versions past the 2nd ed models. Shining Spears only have a single version (which is from the 3rd ed book) along with Warp Spiders (from the 2nd ed book) The only stuff left otherwise from 2nd is the jetbike, Falcon, and some Warlocks. And of those only the jetbikes are really bad figures by modern standards.

I'm currently trying to add some figures to my older 2nd and 3rd ed units right now, which is a pain now since there are three versions of these figures going around on ebay. But I'm apparently a bit broken, since I rather like the older asthetic for the eldar, especially the Dire Avengers. In general a more modern paint job makes a lot of the huge difference between the better 2nd and 3rd ed models and current stuff not very big at all.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
They did technically get new sculpts, but their new sculpts look just like their old sculpts. Also, the ones I'm using (Warp Spiders, Swooping Hawks) I don't believe have gotten an update at all.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

Unless you're really young (or talking about Warp Spiders) this isn't true. Fire Dragons, Dire Avengers, Howling Banshees, Dark Reapers, and Striking Scorpions all were updated in the previous book (4th ed?) and also received updates with the 3rd edition book. You're two versions past the 2nd ed models. Shining Spears only have a single version (which is from the 3rd ed book) along with Warp Spiders (from the 2nd ed book) The only stuff left otherwise from 2nd is the jetbike, Falcon, and some Warlocks. And of those only the jetbikes are really bad figures by modern standards.

I'm currently trying to add some figures to my older 2nd and 3rd ed units right now, which is a pain now since there are three versions of these figures going around on ebay. But I'm apparently a bit broken, since I rather like the older asthetic for the eldar, especially the Dire Avengers. In general a more modern paint job makes a lot of the huge difference between the better 2nd and 3rd ed models and current stuff not very big at all.

My take on the Eldar line:

2nd Edition:
- Warp Spiders (terrible - resin/metal)
- Swooping Hawks (terrible - resin/metal)
- Warlocks (mediocre at best)
- Jetbikes (good if you add modern Guardians, otherwise terrible)
- Phoenix Lords (mediocre - resin/metal)
- Falcon (good)
- Vypers (mediocre)

3rd Edition:
- Shining Spears (terrible - resin/metal, bad design)
- Guardians (great)

4th Edition:
- Wave Serpents (great)
- Dire Avengers (great)
- Rangers (great)
- Howling Banshees (mediocre - prefer 3rd edition version better, resin/metal)
- Fire Dragons (poor - resin/metal and static poses)
- Dark Reapers (poor - resin/metal and static poses)
- Striking Scorpions (mediocre - resin/metal)
- Wraithlord (good)
- Fire Prism/Nightspinner (great)
- War Walker (mediocre)
- Support Weapons (great)
- Harlequins (mediocre - resin/metal)

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 10, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Look I'm trapped in the hospital and borde making up lists here is the final one I promise

Ally
Herald of Slaanesh w/ Steed, Level 2 , Exalted 140
Herald w/ Level 2, Excess 120
Herald w/ Level 2 90
Herald w/ Level 2 90

Troops
15 Daemonettes w/ ICON

H. Support
Soul Grinder /w Mark of Tzeentch, bale160

Capablitites
3 Rolls on Telepathy , 4 Psychich Shriek , 4 Slaanesh Beam ST 6 , 4D6 Lash , Plus Objective Obscured

Soul Grinder can be invisbile, Likely , or Shrouded, for 3++

PRIMARY
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Terminator Armour w/ Spell Familiar (Malefic, telepathy )
Chaos Sorcerer w/ Terminator Armour w/ Spell Familiar Level 3 ( Sanctic, Telepathy )

Troops
10 Cultists 50
10 Cultist 50

H.
Support
3 Obliterators w/ Mark of Nurgle 234
Maulerfiend 125

Formation

Murder Pack

5 Chaos Helbrutes

500 Points

TOTAL 2000 points.

Although instead of the Obliterators I could go with a Termniator Squad
A combat beast squad but it's rather expensive at 234 Idon't know what I would give them.

There's two death stars in the unit, the Daemonettes , and the Obliterators bouncing around plust all the invisiblity and possible summoning of daemons.

I can cast Grimoire and such on the Soul Grinder for a 3++ rerollablbe.

I only 1 GoI Although I though of doing a kitted out 5 man Terminator Squad to go with the Sorcerers just incase they get Hammer Hand that makes them great in HtH.

Ten Psychic Shrieks

All I need is 1 Gate of Infinity and I could get hat on 6 rolls with the Sorcerers, Plus hammerhand but hammer hand is kind of wasted on

Terminator Squad would be cheaeper too but not have as much diversity as the Obliterators.

Or I could go 10 Chose with 5 Melta Plasma, give them mark of SLaanesh and say suck it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 10, 2014

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

They did technically get new sculpts, but their new sculpts look just like their old sculpts. Also, the ones I'm using (Warp Spiders, Swooping Hawks) I don't believe have gotten an update at all.

The 2nd ed Hawks had one piece wings. They look like this:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SRM posted:

Why does the Orgyn in the bottom left bear such a smashing resemblance to Nigel Thornberry?

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 10, 2014

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

SRM posted:

Lewdgrip Whiparm.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boon posted:

My take on the Eldar line:

2nd Edition:
- Warp Spiders (terrible - resin/metal)
- Swooping Hawks (terrible - resin/metal)
- Warlocks (mediocre at best)
- Jetbikes (good if you add modern Guardians, otherwise terrible)
- Phoenix Lords (mediocre - resin/metal)
- Falcon (good)
- Vypers (mediocre)

3rd Edition:
- Shining Spears (terrible - resin/metal, bad design)
- Guardians (great)

4th Edition:
- Wave Serpents (great)
- Dire Avengers (great)
- Rangers (great)
- Howling Banshees (mediocre - prefer 3rd edition version better, resin/metal)
- Fire Dragons (poor - resin/metal and static poses)
- Dark Reapers (poor - resin/metal and static poses)
- Striking Scorpions (mediocre - resin/metal)
- Wraithlord (good)
- Fire Prism/Nightspinner (great)
- War Walker (mediocre)
- Support Weapons (great)
- Harlequins (mediocre - resin/metal)

The current Hawks are at least from 3rd edition. The ones with two separate wings are much newer-- the older models had the pair of wings as a single piece. Gaurdians are also 4th ed-- the 3rd ed kit didn't have a weapon platform in box, and were a little worse looking. I also agree with you on all the current resin aspects being subpar. The Warp Spiders were ones of the worst looking aspects, and for some reason they've never been altered since they were introduced. Not sure what the issue with the warlocks and avatar are, but I'm guess I like the older style of figures a bit more than most. I also use the older war walkers and wraithlords, since they fit with an army that uses a lot more of the 2nd ed looking aspects.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, you're right about the Swooping Hawks (still terrible), but the only thing that changed about the Guardians from 3rd to 4th is the platform and crews.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boon posted:

Yeah, you're right about the Swooping Hawks (still terrible), but the only thing that changed about the Guardians from 3rd to 4th is the platform and crews.

The new hawks are awful. I know it's an attempt to make them less static (I come from playing mostly WFB where static is an advantage) but otherwise they are worse than the 2nd ed ones. Only aspects that actually got better in 3rd edition were Banshees and Reapers IMO.

Didn't realize the Guardians weren't changed at all. They are awful, which is yet another reason to go with Dire Avengers instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The falcon got updated too. Some of the random weather vanes and twin linked shuriken cats got better sculpts but the body stayed the same. If you don't believe I can take a picture of two side by side.

• Locked thread