Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SynthOrange posted:

I know Guard would be the better first pick for my tomb guardians, but gently caress it, YOU'RE ALL GETTING MIGHTY BLOW.

A TG with MB is way more likely to level up a second time in a tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I know Guard would be the better first pick for my tomb guardians, but gently caress it, YOU'RE ALL GETTING MIGHTY BLOW.

I would give 2 mighty blow and 2 guard. If they level up again and don't get doubles I would give the two with mighty blow break tackle. Other then that always take block if you ever get doubles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh absolutely. I've yet to see any doubles though. :smith:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Does anyone have advice for leagues and matchmaking online? I just bought Blood Bowl on iPad.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I have two teams in the Auld league, and Orc and a Lizardman team. But whenever I try to queue up as my lizardman team I end up in-game as my Orc team. What gives?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

dhamster posted:

I have two teams in the Auld league, and Orc and a Lizardman team. But whenever I try to queue up as my lizardman team I end up in-game as my Orc team. What gives?

You've got both checked in the team select box.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dhamster posted:

When you queue up you don't only queue up one team, but all teams. If you want to only play a certain team you have to disable all the others right before starting the search.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Thanks for the tip about matchmaking, I figured I was just doing something wrong. It was just frustrating committing to long matches as a team I didn't feel like playing as

Do people "smurf" the lower TVs? My first match as Lizardmen earlier today I faced a guy with a level 6 Wight, a Ghoul with 5 agility and at least 6 or 7 journeymen. I felt pretty good about injuring his stacked Wight early on but I just couldn't pin down the Ghoul and lost by about 2-0.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

dhamster posted:

Thanks for the tip about matchmaking, I figured I was just doing something wrong. It was just frustrating committing to long matches as a team I didn't feel like playing as

Do people "smurf" the lower TVs? My first match as Lizardmen earlier today I faced a guy with a level 6 Wight, a Ghoul with 5 agility and at least 6 or 7 journeymen. I felt pretty good about injuring his stacked Wight early on but I just couldn't pin down the Ghoul and lost by about 2-0.

They definitely do. Sometimes it's legit, like if the team lost a bunch of players in their previous game, but that one sounds pretty suspicious.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

dhamster posted:

I once played a Necromantic team with my Bloodlines (~1700 TV Undead) that had like four level 6~7 players and just journeymen and garbage Zombies otherwise. That was my first run-in with players at that kind of level, and I nearly poo poo myself after seeing a guy with more than 200 SPP and all sorts of murder stats. I think one of them was a Werewolf with +ST, +MA, Mighty Blow, Piling On and some other poo poo. Good lord, that's terrifying. And I thought MacGruff was a murderwolf just because of his +MA.

Luckily for my team, after I started trying to eliminate key players through coordinated tackling and gangfouling with zombies/skeletons, he abandoned the game on turn 4. Guess he was scared I was going to kill somebody.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Yeah the match making is broken, so journeymen don't count towards your tv when finding an opponent. That along with the menu abuse has basically killed of the mm leagues.
The only big moderated league is FOL where you get banned for theese things.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
There's also no bash(ahahahah don't go to no bash) and Mister Hadwick invitational which is tied to cknoor's bloodbowl streams. MHI you need to mainly challenge through their stream group though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

TheMcD posted:

I once played a Necromantic team with my Bloodlines (~1700 TV Undead) that had like four level 6~7 players and just journeymen and garbage Zombies otherwise. That was my first run-in with players at that kind of level, and I nearly poo poo myself after seeing a guy with more than 200 SPP and all sorts of murder stats. I think one of them was a Werewolf with +ST, +MA, Mighty Blow, Piling On and some other poo poo. Good lord, that's terrifying. And I thought MacGruff was a murderwolf just because of his +MA.

Luckily for my team, after I started trying to eliminate key players through coordinated tackling and gangfouling with zombies/skeletons, he abandoned the game on turn 4. Guess he was scared I was going to kill somebody.

I had figured something unusual was going on. I had actually wounded the first one with gang tackle/fouls but the second stacked player was just too well-protected for me to get to. To be fair I just didn't know much about the undead matchup to begin with so my odds of winning might have been low even if his team were at my level. That was the only experience like that I had after about 9 or 10 games so I haven't lost too much faith in the matchmaking yet

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've just finished a match against a human team that came with 0 rerols an 14-15 players, and insisted on throwing 1DBs. Then the jerk gets upset and insulting when I explain why rerolls are important.

Only 3 CAS, but at least I've managed to foul his ogre into uselessness.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Is single player ok for learning the game or should I just jump in to MP? Thinking about trying out the Snotling Soda Championship but I want to have some sort of grasp on the game before I jump in.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Single player can help you learn the basic mechanics of dodging and blocking and the like.

But the AI is really loving stupid. You won't learn effective strategy by playing against the computer.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
So is now a good time for people who know basic strategy and like winning to log in and play a few games? Seems like a lot of new people are playing.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Use single player to learn the basics like setting up 2 dice blocks and how to move the cage, but the AI is so bad that you are not going to learn to anything apart from game mechanics. My advice would be to just jump into the SSC as soon as you understand the rules and the basics like setting up 2db's and keeping the corners of the cage free.

IMO just jump into mp as soon as you think you got the basics down, you will learn much faster and playng mp in a friendly setting like the SSC is a lot of fun compared to random match making.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've just finished a match against a human team that came with 0 rerols an 14-15 players, and insisted on throwing 1DBs. Then the jerk gets upset and insulting when I explain why rerolls are important.

Only 3 CAS, but at least I've managed to foul his ogre into uselessness.

Man, I can't even imagine playing with 0 rerolls. My Undead team now has 5 rerolls because god damnit, if I'm going to try an Undead passing game, I need a fuckton of rerolls.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Is single player ok for learning the game or should I just jump in to MP? Thinking about trying out the Snotling Soda Championship but I want to have some sort of grasp on the game before I jump in.

You can do both. The SSC will not start for a few weeks so you can sign up for it. In the mean time play some single player to learn the basics.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Most serious players will try to manage their TV to some degree. With Norse I fire all non double linos and drop to two rerolls as soon as my thrower gets leader.

But that may just be because I'm a sperg.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Most serious players will try to manage their TV to some degree. With Norse I fire all non double linos and drop to two rerolls as soon as my thrower gets leader.

But that may just be because I'm a sperg.

There's managing your TV and then there's managing your TV.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

uPen posted:

Just noticed on FUMBBL there's a heading for "Team Wizard." In previous editions, did teams used to be able to have full-time wizards like you can with apothecaries?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think until 3rd they could hire permanent wizards. I know they were game-by-game in 4th anyway.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

uPen posted:

All I see is a shotgun blast of positionals all over the place. This guy sucks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

If anyone cares, here is the link to the rule book since neither link in the OP is good anymore:

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/files/BB_LRB6.pdf

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..

uPen posted:

This team is bloated, you could easily cut 200tv of it without losing anyting,3rr is insane if you got a sure hands player. That the team cant win matches is a pretty clear indication that it suck.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I seem to be running into gimmicky teams with my Dave Ryder Fan Club. A 15 player, all-lineman human team. Of course, we had a pitch invasion which knocked up half my team, so the first half was kind of a mess. This was the match where I almost became part of the BB elite, rerolling triple skulls into double skulls and both down against a player with block.

Anyway, what's the recommended skillup for a first roll doubles Beastman? I have a smatering of block, no skillups on the Chaos Warriors and I lack Sure Hands because I'm an idiot.

I'm guessing that basically everyone in the team should get dodge on doubles, no matter what, because it's a relatively though team and most of the players should be around for long (I know, BB). In this case, I'l use the Beastman as ball carrier, because dodge is the same as block in defense, and hope to raise a level quickly to give him Sure Hands.

Ok, maybe pass if I eventually get a Sure Hands beastman and don't get distracted by whaetever shiny thing I see on the skill list (block. It will always be block)

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyway, what's the recommended skillup for a first roll doubles Beastman? I have a smatering of block, no skillups on the Chaos Warriors and I lack Sure Hands because I'm an idiot.

Dodge is the universal first skill doubles choice. It doesn't confine the player to any one role, just makes them better at staying on the pitch/scoring/blitzing.

Although the case can be made for Leader since Chaos doesn't have P access, but that's really only if you're trying to sperg-out in a lower TV bracket for as long as possible.

Fat Samurai posted:

we had a pitch invasion which knocked up half my team

Never a boring game playing on Slaanesh's homefield.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

The two safe choices for BM doubles are dodge for obvious reasons or jump up if want to build a super murderer who also has piling on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Anyway, what's the recommended skillup for a first roll doubles Beastman?
You can get a lot out of Pass, Diving Catch, Dodge, or Jump Up just to pick the obvious ones.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
The first beastman to roll a double gets dodge and is now the ball dude. I would not use any more doubles until late in the teams development since you already have acces to everything you need on a normal roll and you need all the basic block and kill skills asap.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Signups for Season 24 closes August 13th 1600 GMT.

OCC will accept applications for all 23 races.

Ingame Name:
Race:
Team Name:
Timezone:

Please fill in your timezone using GMT + or -. Doing it in any other format means your application might be ignored.

http://www.orca-cola.com/beta/index.php/topic/18819-occ-signups-for-s24/

For any one that is interested you have a couple more days to sign up.

Doubles are always dodge/block or if you are lucky 6+6 strength. Both dodge and block reduce the chance of injury by reducing the chance you get knocked to the pitch. I am also a fan of dirty player as well. You may not get spp for a injury caused by a foul but taking out key players is sometimes easier when you have 4 or 5 players stomping on them.

NiknudStunod fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 11, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Played against a Vampire team around 150TV above mine. 3 Journeyman, 2 lvl 6 Vampire Counts with Dodge, Block, Side Step, Tackle and Mighty Blow. Start pushing his Thralls around, with some success. I have a bribe, so I put the boot in as much as possible, focusing on the single lvl 1 Count but also the Thralls.

First dive, they receive, we end up like this.

He gets out of there.

And scores.

Highlight of the second half. At this point he has three players in the field, the other Vampire has the ball and he's being pursued by two Beastmen and a Chaos Warrior. The tactic has changed to "win by forcing him to only field 2 dudes". I doubt that Cyanyde has programmed it, but I want to try.

The foul fails to do anything noticeable.

On the other side, I've managed to knock down the ballcarrier but miss the pickup. That's after he gets up and picks the ball. Then he dodges out, of course. No matter, I stil have a chance to stop him!

gently caress you, game.

I hate Vampires.

At least everyone on my team is lvl2 now. I still call this a victory. :colbert:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So I'm slowly getting the hang of the game as far as mechanics and stuff goes. I've been using Orcs in the single player campaign just for getting the mechanics down. I'm sort of at a loss as to the best way to utilize my troll. Is he just a big body I keep try to put in people's way? I don't have any gobs right now for throwing either.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

vulturesrow posted:

So I'm slowly getting the hang of the game as far as mechanics and stuff goes. I've been using Orcs in the single player campaign just for getting the mechanics down. I'm sort of at a loss as to the best way to utilize my troll. Is he just a big body I keep try to put in people's way? I don't have any gobs right now for throwing either.

Don't buy a troll on Orcs, he doesn't bring enough to a team that's already huge burly dudes to justify his cost and negatrait.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

uPen posted:

Don't buy a troll on Orcs, he doesn't bring enough to a team that's already huge burly dudes to justify his cost and negatrait.

I thought Troll was pretty standard for Orcs?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Primarily a roadblock, yes.
Try not to move him unless you absolutely have to, and only punch with him when you can afford to lose his tacklezones (ie it's not going to take him out of the rest of the drive because you don't have anyone near him and/or it's going to allow a cage to advance and/or allow a score or a hit on your ball carrier by your opponent).

When you do use him to punch, try to set up a 3die block, as it decreases the chances of a turnover and increases the chance of using mighty blow to take an opposing player off the field.

Never attempt to do anything with him if you don't have a guy standing in an adjacent square. Really stupid's unassisted 4+ roll is rough.

tl;dr: Trolls are bad. Use responsibly.

edit: Also, gob tossing is over-rated. It's a 40k investment in something you'll almost never use and even when you do, will almost never work. Gobs have a role on the Orc team, in my opinion, especially early on, but don't carry one just for the 1 turn td chance.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 12, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

vulturesrow posted:

I don't like it, he's unreliable and expensive on a team that honestly doesn't need that extra muscle. If you want to use him avoid activating him when losing his tackle zones would be catastrophic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Big Guys in general tend to be newb/funhaver bait. They look cool, but in practice, you're better off fielding more reliable players.

• Locked thread