Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

glowing-fish posted:

According to Ballotpedia, the one opinion poll on Oregon Measure 91 (Cannabis legalization) has the measure being ahead 51-41%, with 8% undecided.

http://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Legalized_Marijuana_Initiative,_Measure_91_%282014%29

Since the last measure failed by only 7% of the vote, and voters in Oregon have had two years to see that marijuana legalization in Washington and Colorado went off fairly smoothly, it seems pretty likely that it will pass. The one poll done didn't have a large sample size, and there was a lot of undecideds, but it seems there is a good change this measure will pass. Right now I would probably give it about a 75% chance of success.

The last measure was horribly written, and would've created a nepotistic hugbox to oversee the legal marijuana industry. I need to read this one through, but as long as it doesn't pander to cronyism in terms of oversight then it should probably pass comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The last measure was horribly written, and would've created a nepotistic hugbox to oversee the legal marijuana industry. I need to read this one through, but as long as it doesn't pander to cronyism in terms of oversight then it should probably pass comfortably.

Yeah, I just read Measure 80 and it just didn't have an adequate system for marijuana legalization but this new measure looks to fix that and I will be shocked if it doesn't pass.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The guys behind 2012's Measure 80 were in the news a few months ago when they didn't pay the canvassers they hired for this year's attempt at a marijuana legalization initiative. Which also happened in 2012.

Measure 80 was really bad, I just looked up an old post and the original site is now a parked domain but in Japanese. That's okay because here's another one (the ones from the State are in pdfs and aren't ocr'd). Here's some sentences they wanted to put into the Oregon Constitution:

quote:

George Washington grew cannabis for more than 30 years and, while he was President, said, “the artificial preparation of hemp is really a curiosity” and told his Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, that he was, “suggesting the policy of encouraging the growth of Hemp”

quote:

Thomas Jefferson invented a device to process cannabis, and cannabis fiber was used for most clothing and paper production until the invention of the cotton gin

quote:

Gouverneur Morris of Pennsylvania, who spoke at the U.S. Constitutional Convention in 1787 more than any other delegate and of whom James Madison said, “the style and finish of the Constitution properly belongs to the pen of Gouverneur Morris,” wrote a paper he sent to Thomas Jefferson called, “Notes Respecting Tobacco” that compared cannabis and tobacco and concluded that cannabis “is to be preferred”

quote:

Whereas the people hold that cannabis prohibition is a sumptuary law of a nature repugnant to our constitution’s framers and which is so unreasonable and liberticidal as to:

(c) Unnecessarily proscribe consumption of a “herb bearing seed” given to humanity in Genesis 1:29, thereby violating their unqualified religious rights under Article 1, Section 3 and their Natural Rights under Article 1, Section 33 of the Oregon Constitution
I'm looking at the text of Measure 91 and I don't see any references to George Washington or the bible, so I'm hopeful about this one.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

anthonypants posted:

The guys behind 2012's Measure 80 were in the news a few months ago when they didn't pay the canvassers they hired for this year's attempt at a marijuana legalization initiative. Which also happened in 2012.

Measure 80 was really bad, I just looked up an old post and the original site is now a parked domain but in Japanese. That's okay because here's another one (the ones from the State are in pdfs and aren't ocr'd). Here's some sentences they wanted to put into the Oregon Constitution:

I'm looking at the text of Measure 91 and I don't see any references to George Washington or the bible, so I'm hopeful about this one.

Didn't the guy who ended up fronting the measure also have a fairly extensive criminal history? I remember there being a pretty reasonable 'smear' campaign behind Measure 80 simply because it was so terribly written.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schwack posted:

Didn't the guy who ended up fronting the measure also have a fairly extensive criminal history? I remember there being a pretty reasonable 'smear' campaign behind Measure 80 simply because it was so terribly written.
You're probably thinking of Douglas Paul Stanford, one of the chief petitioners for what became Measure 80. He founded The Hemp and Cannabis Foundation (get it?????????????????) and this is the first hit on Google with his name; he was arrested in 2011 for failing to pay income taxes in 2008 and 2009, to which he pled guilty, and in 2010 the IRS revoked his organization's tax-exempt status. Here's a 2007 bio from the Willamette Week in 2007, which is really long but it covers a lot.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Oregon's ACA healthcare exchange was a massive clusterfuck after it was rolled out, and we eventually dropped it this year in favor of using the federal exchange instead. If you haven't seen the video yet, John Oliver covered it on his HBO show. One of the things he made fun of was the twee garbage ads they made for Cover Oregon, and the advertising company hired to do those ads got really upset and responded in an open letter on their blog.

Oregon placed the blame on Oracle, the organization the state health authority hired to build our exchange, and our governor told everyone a few months ago that we were probably going to sue them. Except today, Oracle sued Oregon. It doesn't help that Oregon was extremely loving stupid about this contract, but Oracle is a pretty incompetent organization so I'm having a really tough time picking a side here.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

anthonypants posted:

Oregon's ACA healthcare exchange was a massive clusterfuck after it was rolled out, and we eventually dropped it this year in favor of using the federal exchange instead. If you haven't seen the video yet, John Oliver covered it on his HBO show. One of the things he made fun of was the twee garbage ads they made for Cover Oregon, and the advertising company hired to do those ads got really upset and responded in an open letter on their blog.

John Oliver's rant really shows how none of the rest of the US really has any idea what Oregon actually is like, and just takes the usual half-assed route like Portlandia does.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 9, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ardennes posted:

John Oliver's rant really shows how none of the rest of the US really has any idea what Oregon actually is like, and just takes the usual half-assed route like Portlandia does.
To be fair, like 90% of the people in Portland have no idea what Oregon actually is like.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

There's a whole lot of butthurt in that open letter. The ad was twee bullshit asking for a parody.

Edit: "But guuuuuys! We're spreading awaaaareness!!!"

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 9, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Oregon: it's like Vermont, but warmer.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

anthonypants posted:

Oregon placed the blame on Oracle, the organization the state health authority hired to build our exchange, and our governor told everyone a few months ago that we were probably going to sue them. Except today, Oracle sued Oregon. It doesn't help that Oregon was extremely loving stupid about this contract, but Oracle is a pretty incompetent organization so I'm having a really tough time picking a side here.

The side that isn't loving Oracle.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ernie Muppari posted:

The side that isn't loving Oracle.
You'd think so, but their complaint raises some valid concerns, like this one courtesy of the ACA thread:

cowtown posted:

Oracle Chief Corporate Architect Edward Screven posted:

Garrett,
Oracle employees on site in Durham report that in a meeting today you stated that you now have Siebel Administrator privilege, and you have used that privilege to directly make environment and application changes to the production environment. Is this correct?
Following established change control procedures is essential. Making any change to production without following proper procedure puts the system at risk, both at the time of the change and later, during upgrades. If you have made such changes, please send a written description of each change, including when you made it. Also, please do not make any more changes.

Cover Oregon Chief Technology Officer Garrett Reynolds posted:

On 1/16/2014 6:28 PM, Reynolds Garrett wrote:
I thought Cover Oregon paid for and owned the system....
Thanks
Or this one:

paragraph 16 posted:

On September 18, 2013—mere days before the October 1 deadline—Cover Oregon’s Executive Director still had not grasped the deep substantive challenges to going live that his organization had created in the development process. He repeatedly conveyed concern about the "sizzle not the steak" of the massive IT project, as evidenced by a lengthy email he wrote to an Oracle consultant in which he described his desire to make the website look good, and apparently assumed the ongoing functional challenges would resolve themselves:

quote:

Probably everyone will disagree with me[,] my staff, yours, consultants actually [sic] I know they would disagree with me – but step back and have a discussion with Aaron [Karjala]. Take a customer perspective rather than an IT perspective. Again, I do not want to detract from the priority 1’s that must be done to go live 10/1 but drat, if the road is going to be be [sic] bumpy, let me at least be driving a good looking car.
Emphasis in original.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 9, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Is this going to affect people who are already enrolled?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Thanatosian posted:

Oregon: it's like Vermont, but warmer.

and with fewer Massholes

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Hedera Helix posted:

Is this going to affect people who are already enrolled?
No. The exchange is just a marketplace; if you got insurance through Cover Oregon, your involvement with Cover Oregon is over. If you want to get new insurance through the exchange, you'll have to go to Healthcare.gov.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Oregon: Baja Washington.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

anthonypants posted:

God drat I loving hated those commercials. All I got from them was "LOOK HOW loving WHITE WE ARE".

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Irradiation posted:

God drat I loving hated those commercials. All I got from them was "LOOK HOW loving WHITE WE ARE".

Well Oregonians are kinda racist...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

effectual posted:

You ban black people from the state for 13 measly years and you never hear the end of it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

effectual posted:

Hey they took all African jigaboo-related imagery off of the Sambo's in Lincoln City. I mean it's still called Sambo's, but.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ardennes posted:

the usual half-assed route like Portlandia does.
I thought that until I spent some time there and constantly thought I was standing in the middle of some kind of Portlandia candid-camera poo poo.

"The skinny hipster on a fixie eating at a food cart with a giant mustachio and one leg missing from his cool-guy jeans to permanently adjust for his bike chain is just paying dress-up right? ... RIGHT?" (That was Hawthorne.)

quote:

please send a written description of each change, including when you made it.
This always reeks of rear end-covering. HAHA! Your fault, our contract says so! No matter how we poo poo our pants its your fault!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FRINGE posted:

This always reeks of rear end-covering. HAHA! Your fault, our contract says so! No matter how we poo poo our pants its your fault!
That part's not, at least. If your job is to work on and maintain a thing, it makes your job incredibly difficult when someone comes in and fucks with it without telling you what they did. Keeping a record of the things you've done and the things you're planning to do is just good documentation.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

anthonypants posted:

That part's not, at least. If your job is to work on and maintain a thing, it makes your job incredibly difficult when someone comes in and fucks with it without telling you what they did. Keeping a record of the things you've done and the things you're planning to do is just good documentation.
We deal with it all the time, but our stance is generally "we'll fix it for you" not HA HA GOTCHA!

Documentation? Lol. Customers dont do that. :p

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FRINGE posted:

I thought that until I spent some time there and constantly thought I was standing in the middle of some kind of Portlandia candid-camera poo poo.

"The skinny hipster on a fixie eating at a food cart with a giant mustachio and one leg missing from his cool-guy jeans to permanently adjust for his bike chain is just paying dress-up right? ... RIGHT?" (That was Hawthorne.)

That is pretty much Portland between 10th and 60th ish street south of Burnside and north of Powell with some expections. Go to Beaverton, Gresham, Canby much less Medford or even Lincoln City and you are going to get a very different perspective. The interesting part is why you never hear about the "other Oregon" but the people who live in a confined areas in one city.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ardennes posted:

That is pretty much Portland between 10th and 60th ish street south of Burnside and north of Powell with some expections. Go to Beaverton, Gresham, Canby much less Medford or even Lincoln City and you are going to get a very different perspective. The interesting part is why you never hear about the "other Oregon" but the people who live in a confined areas in one city.
Ive been to Beaverton. The first word that comes to mind is banal. Like it was fine, and nothing distinct comes to mind.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

FRINGE posted:

Ive been to Beaverton. The first word that comes to mind is banal. Like it was fine, and nothing distinct comes to mind.

Agreed. Those are some bizarrely specific choices for a bunch of places that aren't really all that distinctive or memorable, at least not in a way that would be worth defining them as the "other Oregon."

I mean, Christ, Medford?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I finally got around to applying for OHP a couple of days ago. Just so you know, the current system in place, for which we paid a quarter of a billion dollars, is a pdf form you have to print out and mail in.

FRINGE posted:

"Man, that San Francisco is such a caricature, all I saw was hippie oogles in raver pants all over the place! (on lower Haight)"

TheBalor posted:

Agreed. Those are some bizarrely specific choices for a bunch of places that aren't really all that distinctive or memorable, at least not in a way that would be worth defining them as the "other Oregon."

I mean, Christ, Medford?

Gresham/Eastern Portland is fair, its still within the metro area but its got a vastly different feel and is much more culturally diverse. If you want really good Pho, you've got to go out past 60th. Medford though, gently caress I don't even know. Like, at least talk about Grants Pass or Hood River or Burns or something. Medford is like all of the worst places in the California central valley.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

That is pretty much Portland between 10th and 60th ish street south of Burnside and north of Powell with some expections.

Have you never been to NE or NoPo?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Man. I kind of hate Portlandia for that reason. It gets annoying when I go visit people in SC and they act like I've been living in a foreign culture. Or when people visit they see somebody who fits the stereotype and go "oh, that's so Portland." As if there aren't people like that everywhere to some degree. I mean, maybe it's because of the university, but I saw ironic mustaches and hipsters in Columbia, SC too. Even if you go to hawthorn 95% of the people you see aren't some stereotype.

That said, I work out in McMinnville and it's night and day different than Portland. Like others said, Beaverton is just a generic American suburb, but once you get a bit into the willamette valley the character changes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

xrunner posted:

Man. I kind of hate Portlandia for that reason. It gets annoying when I go visit people in SC and they act like I've been living in a foreign culture. Or when people visit they see somebody who fits the stereotype and go "oh, that's so Portland." As if there aren't people like that everywhere to some degree. I mean, maybe it's because of the university, but I saw ironic mustaches and hipsters in Columbia, SC too. Even if you go to hawthorn 95% of the people you see aren't some stereotype.

That said, I work out in McMinnville and it's night and day different than Portland. Like others said, Beaverton is just a generic American suburb, but once you get a bit into the willamette valley the character changes.

Friend of mine moved from PDX to NOLA and had people ask her "but why would you ever want to leave Portland?!" and tell her they were moving there as soon as they could.

(there are actually jobs in Louisiana)

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Chantilly Say posted:

Friend of mine moved from PDX to NOLA and had people ask her "but why would you ever want to leave Portland?!" and tell her they were moving there as soon as they could.

Yeah, I've lived in Oregon all my life and always thought Portland would be a beautiful place to live when I visit. But out of well over a dozen friends and acquaintances who made the pilgrimage up there after high school/college, only one has managed to get a decent job and not leave in debt-riddled disgrace. :shepicide:

Oh, and the guy who has millionaire power couple parents in Lake Oswego, but he was gonna "succeed" no matter where he went.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

Don't get me wrong. I love living in this town, but for reasons unrelated to "Oh my god, wacky crazy people doing weird stuff all the time." I don't know, I've been here for 5 years or so and there's a lot to like, especially if you have a good job and enjoy being outside between May and October. I mean, there are interesting differences between the south and out here, but for the most part people are still culturally the same as other parts of the country. Although, maybe if I ran with the 22 year old crowd my perspective would be different. Or maybe I'm just indoctrinated.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm a native of Eugene, and am quite happy with it down here. Over the course of my life I've seen Portland get big and traffic-strangled to the point I'm no longer sure I'd want to live there. In the 1990s it seemed to be around a sweet-spot in terms of livability, at least in my perception of it, and it appears to have gone downhill from there.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

TheBalor posted:

Yeah, I've lived in Oregon all my life and always thought Portland would be a beautiful place to live when I visit. But out of well over a dozen friends and acquaintances who made the pilgrimage up there after high school/college, only one has managed to get a decent job and not leave in debt-riddled disgrace. :shepicide:

Oh, and the guy who has millionaire power couple parents in Lake Oswego, but he was gonna "succeed" no matter where he went.

Jobs are a little harder to come by here than in other major cities but the flip side of that is that its a lot easier to get by with less. Its not like a sink or swim, hustle or die city like SF or NYC. One of the stereotypes about Portland that I've found to be true is that there are a lot of slackers working part time, under the table, or seasonal work just to cruise through (I'm one of these). Its pretty easy to do for the most part if you have any skills and/or contacts, although it is getting harder, at least if you want to live west of 40th

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Jobs are a little harder to come by here than in other major cities but the flip side of that is that its a lot easier to get by with less. Its not like a sink or swim, hustle or die city like SF or NYC. One of the stereotypes about Portland that I've found to be true is that there are a lot of slackers working part time, under the table, or seasonal work just to cruise through (I'm one of these). Its pretty easy to do for the most part if you have any skills and/or contacts, although it is getting harder, at least if you want to live west of 40th

Although, I'm pretty sure that's going to change in the next ~10 years if the rapid gentrification of areas like SE and North continue. Portland's going to be a lot less attractive without a bunch of relatively cheap housing along major bus/train lines available for rent by groups of 20-somethings.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

Although, I'm pretty sure that's going to change in the next ~10 years if the rapid gentrification of areas like SE and North continue. Portland's going to be a lot less attractive without a bunch of relatively cheap housing along major bus/train lines available for rent by groups of 20-somethings.

This is very true. And anti-development voices are starting to get louder. It's actually a tricky issue, too, because so much of the character around mt tabor is the old craftsman homes and yards. But it's also where people want to live. Expect rents and property values in that area to really go up in the next decade. Same with around Alberta. It's the new NW 21st.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I wonder, would people be more amenable to infill apartments if they used different architectural styles than a lot of the things that were built within the past 10-15 years? Would it be possible for buildings to have more pleasant-looking exteriors without increasing construction costs too much, or is it not much of a factor?

The answer is almost certainly that they wouldn't, because we must preserve the character of this neighborhood for rich people. :downs:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

xrunner posted:

This is very true. And anti-development voices are starting to get louder. It's actually a tricky issue, too, because so much of the character around mt tabor is the old craftsman homes and yards. But it's also where people want to live. Expect rents and property values in that area to really go up in the next decade. Same with around Alberta. It's the new NW 21st.

On the plus side, my place is doing its part to keep those down. :v:

Fer serious though, I'm almost certain that my place is getting sold to a company that'll replace it with an expensive quadruplex the moment my 70-something year old landlords kick the bucket.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

On the plus side, my place is doing its part to keep those down. :v:

Fer serious though, I'm almost certain that my place is getting sold to a company that'll replace it with an expensive quadruplex the moment my 70-something year old landlords kick the bucket.

It's up or out. I hate to see the historic character go, but I don't want to end up like Seattle or SF either. I think there is a way to mix in higher density while keeping flavor. But yeah, rich people with money need things to stay the same. Look at the fit that got thrown over that house in NW a couple months ago (not that I support tearing down historic houses so that a rich person can have a big, modern house with a view, it just demonstrates the point).

I heard something on OPB recently about expanding the urban growth boundary, but screw that. I posted this comment on their website and stand by it. "Cities should be cities, rural/wild places should be rural/wild, and suburbs shouldn't exist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FRINGE posted:

Yeah my point, significant parts (maybe most) of the Portland metro area is a banal and mostly white (especially in Washington county but certainly not only in Washington county).

quote:

I mean, Christ, Medford?

I am sorry but most of the other Oregon is not that memorable, it is a place that is there with limited employment opportunities and trees as long as you live in the western half of the state (limited employment opportunities and no trees in the east). Oregon isn't typified by Portlandia, hell not even Portland is.

Most of Oregon sort of sits there, especially on the coast. I like those areas for what they are but you have to embrace the fact Oregon is really really not about central Portland.

quote:

Have you never been to NE or NoPo?

Mississippi/Vancouver and Alberta are those "few other places" but there are still black residents trying to hold on around are generally invisible to anyone talking about "Portlandia" and have been quickly pushed out the last few years. Most of Northern Portland is in fact very working class especially along Lombard to the Port. Go west of the I-5 and it is going to be pretty working class, go east of 33th on Killingsworth and it is going to looking like an industrial section of Southern California. Hell many people consider 82nd street and Lents" out there". Then there are the immigrant communities no one really talks about, especially around 82nd which there is a big Chinese/Vietnamese community and around Lents where there is a loose Russian/Ukrainian community. So even if you talk about the SE, there is a lot more than the SE that has been "claimed" by those who live on Division. I don't even need to mention East Portland (the forgotten Portland) or Gresham.

quote:

I wonder, would people be more amenable to infill apartments if they used different architectural styles than a lot of the things that were built within the past 10-15 years? Would it be possible for buildings to have more pleasant-looking exteriors without increasing construction costs too much, or is it not much of a factor?

To be honest most of the new apartments/condos I have seen in the NW and the SE look look like they were airdropped from somewhere in Southern California. Also you now have the ridiculous situation of large 4-5 story buildings looming over detached single family homes. It must suck to have lived in a neighborhood decades and then you got a bunch of apartments looking into your house/yard because the city decided to be ridiculous about zoning.

Also the city is allowing them to build an apartment building right on top of that open space around the Burnside bridgehead right after they spent all that effort routing a bunch of traffic through there. Construction is going to probably clog up multiple main arteries and it will be a giant poo poo show for a while.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread