Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

iLonie and grobbendonk, my awful arena warrior is ready to join you, and I took the liberty of giving our team a name that I thought was funny for about two seconds. Please hit me up on PMs if you want to discuss builds, and feel free to change the name to something you feel would be more fitting for our team. I have no idea what I am doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man I'm so excited, Monday can't come soon enough :black101:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

VladTheEater posted:

Aww, drat it! I forgot about this and missed out on registration. I'm eager to start new bloodshed. :black101:

Thanks for all the hard work, Jazzimus!

Welcome back! I'll invite back some of the others who had been here from the start but have recently disappeared, here's hoping they're all as enthusiastic as you! :black101:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Oh, what the hell. Fine, it's done.

Can you change every other team's name to "SPERMY SUCKS n" where n is the original team number?

tia

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Also...

Maugrim made it clear that he'd be out of town for the weekend, but would update his fighter as soon as he got back. That's cool, we'll wait.

But fluppet, ZeeToo, and Goodchild, please update your fighters! If they aren't ready in the next 24 hours, we may have to give the fighters to another player. But I'm sure it won't come to that. Or if your current build is by design, let me know via my e-mail address in the Private Game Servers thread!

And lurkers, get ready to claim a fighter just in case I'm wrong about all this being unnecessary. We've given the players fair warning.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

Can you change every other team's name to "SPERMY SUCKS n" where n is the original team number?

tia

np, i'll get right on that when i have the time

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
I just got home and in front of the computer, I'll be updating my fighter shortly, Hello Team 4!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Maugrim posted:

Team 11, that's ZeeToo and perpetulance, I have limited net access until Sunday night but will try and keep an eye on this thread on my dodgy old phone. If you come up with a kickass strategy and want me to build my fighter a certain way I will do so, I suspect the main feasible builds for a dark gnome are either ranged expert or the default small-melee-fighter build of minimal armour and maximal dodge.

I have ideas, but I'm not completely sure if my ideas are still valid in a new build of DF. Any which way for us to all discuss this? Or should I just share it all here? We're deep in testing phase, after all, so trade secrets probably shouldn't be.

perpetulance posted:

Kinda happy we have our own meatshield Minotaur to help us out. Go, team!

Also this is fantastic.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Cool, it looks like we're just waiting on fluppet now. Get off the schneid, man! :argh:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What does it matter if we're waiting all weekend?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
e: Misread, removed.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ignite Memories posted:

What does it matter if we're waiting all weekend?

I was hoping to instill a sense of urgency, so that we might have the opportunity to get started sooner. But now that I've had to go and tell everyone my motivations, that dream is as good as dead, isn't it? :smith:

edit: okay, we're waiting on Maugrim too, this was nothing more than a cheap attempt to lay a guilt trip on you

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 9, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

ZeeToo posted:

Did Maugrim already decide not to spend any points, Jazzimus? Because I'm looking at Gnomelette's page and it looks like no points spent.

No, he decided to go on vacation with his fambly over the weekend, and said that he would update when he got back.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'd like to encourage everyone to also bet all their hard earned cash on the fights. I ensure you, team Nonindicative Name is by far the jokiest and weakest team around and everyone should bet on the other guys. Why, I will be surprised if we don't trip and comically kill ourselves in every round.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a bunch of people that would set up a fighter right away...

edit: jazzimus, you can see all the fighters, right? Is my fighter build really stupid? It's my first one, and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything crucial, or don't have enough armor skill or something. It looks a lot different from the other two on my team, and I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong. Is level 1 kicking a waste of points? Should I go for skills before toys, or?

edit: [it's harold bird]

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 9, 2014

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ignite Memories posted:

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a bunch of people that would set up a fighter right away...

Probably so. But Maugrim promised some of that good old dry British Monty Python humor, and I'm looking forward to it.

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: jazzimus, you can see all the fighters, right?

Yes.

Ignite Memories posted:

Is my fighter build really stupid? It's my first one, and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything crucial, or don't have enough armor skill or something. It looks a lot different from the other two on my team, and I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong.

It's hard to say exactly how effective it is, since Vox Nihili did most of the work to balance the fights and I've mostly just been running the fights... and I don't want to announce your build strategy to everyone reading the thread... but if I recall correctly how the last team arena thread went, the approach you've taken is somewhat better than average if you plan on doing the (missile? melee? wrestling? I'm pretty sure I can tell) approach I assume you're taking. Which is very promising for this particular tournament, since a lot of players seem to have submitted somewhat experimental builds.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 9, 2014

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Oh well its not like ive ever bothered testing a build before. Does this mean we're good to go now?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Testing is for wimps! :black101:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

HerpicleOmicron5:
-I would suggest losing a good deal of that armor, let your small stature do most of the work. (drop the extra body armor at least, but keep the helm)
-Invest in fighting, it's one of the most important skills here.
-Invest in the appropriate skill for your weapons.

I've made adjustments. It'll still be heavy on the avoidance.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've made adjustments. It'll still be heavy on the avoidance.

Yeah, that build looks excellent!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, that build looks excellent!

I've tested it, and it consistently loses to you. However, when I take control, it immediately beats anything easily. I think the Kobold AI is baaaad...

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

How does the armor skill work? Is there some way to gauge how effective it is and how encumbered your fighter is?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Afriscipio posted:

How does the armor skill work? Is there some way to gauge how effective it is and how encumbered your fighter is?

As far as I could determine in the 2010 version, the answer is "negligibly". Haven't tested 2014 yet.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Since you're all impatient buggers, I've set up my fighter laboriously on my phone. No need to wait on my account! I'm liking our team comp too. Let's do this!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Huzzah! Let the blood bath begin.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm hyped, but a few hours of testing hasn't found me a useful Kobold build. I just hope I die in the most glorious and drawn out ways possible!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

See, that's why you're all fools: I was able to find a useless build without any testing at all.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I am completely confident in the ability of my strangler to kill everyone!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

tia

I hope I get to run one of your fights.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I entertain no illusions about my team's chances in the first round.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I think our team is reasonably okay! I'm ready whenever myself. It's time for Compost Day to take out the trash.

e: (After carefully sorting through it for recyclables.)

Ramc fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 9, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

See, that's why you're all fools: I was able to find a useless build without any testing at all.

I love your build, it's so wildcard. It will either fail spectacularly or succeed spectacularly.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I hope everyone's builds are finalized, because they'll be locked in later tonight when I run the first few matches.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rock and roll!

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

The Wild Animals are ready!

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Cave Pals Friend Squad are eager to find out just how much blood our bodies are required to retain before total system failure.

Gangsta Boogie
Jan 16, 2006
Bet's placed on Wild Animals, Minotaur Mites, and Lucky Team 13. Good luck nerds!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Meat and Two Veg are very much looking forward to doing the business, if you know what I mean.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Platinum Helms* are ready to rumble.

*helms made of platinum not included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Side bet, my ant stabs Bene Elim in the neck.

Any takers?

• Locked thread