Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

L-O-N posted:

Are there any romance manga/anime where the main character ends up with someone other than the first guy/girl(aka "destiny person") they see?

Destiny is cool, but I'd rather read something that breaks the mold as well.

It's kind of a spoiler that that description applies in this case so:

Kokoro Connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
EDIT:^^^ I was about to mention Ichigo 100% but beaten. I liked it even though it's stock shonen, but yeah, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece by any means.

Actually give NG Life a shot. It plays around with the destiny angle even if you can figure out who he ends up with at the end fairly easily.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 8, 2014

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

L-O-N posted:

Are there any romance manga/anime where the main character ends up with someone other than the first guy/girl(aka "destiny person") they see?

Does Hana Yori Dango count?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

L-O-N posted:

Honey and Clover. Paradise Kiss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

L-O-N posted:

Er, does the original Macross series count? :v:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

pandabear posted:

Does Hana Yori Dango count?

I think so. So does Cat Street by the same author.

I've actually thought about this before.

The World God Only Knows
Negima (probably, we don't know who he ends up with but it's not Asuna)
Onani Master Kurosawa

Tonari no Atashi
My Barbaric Girlfriend (Boku to Kanojo no XXX, Body Switch manga)

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Molester Man also does this, by the same guy who did Onani Master Kurosawa.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You know I didn't really find anything particularly annoying about season one of Kimi ni Todoke, then I hit episode one of season two and OH MY GOD WOULD YOU JUST loving GIVE HIM THE loving CHOCOLATES gently caress gently caress FUUUUUUCK. Valentines rage.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Shoujo is pretty hard to rewatch, I find. I cannot rewatch Love Com because that middle arc where short guy is futzing around trying to decide if he can see the female lead as a love interest or not just drives me up a loving wall whenever I try.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks everyone. I've read some of those, but the others look great!

Time to go on a binge.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

You know I didn't really find anything particularly annoying about season one of Kimi ni Todoke, then I hit episode one of season two and OH MY GOD WOULD YOU JUST loving GIVE HIM THE loving CHOCOLATES gently caress gently caress FUUUUUUCK. Valentines rage.

She's shy OK! :mad:

I can totally see how that's frustrating, you just gotta roll with it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She gave him the chocolates like five months later, so everything was okay. I hope she kept them in the fridge.

Edit: What chapter of the manga carries on from where the anime ended? Though to be honest it had a pretty okay ending and I'd only be reading the manga to find out what's going on with Ryu and Chizuru and I'm guessing there's like another 50 chapters of frustrating drama about to happen, so I might leave it for a bit.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 9, 2014

SennyYak
May 10, 2010
We finally got a new chapter of Haru x Kiyo! I actually had to go back and re-read the previous chapters because I didn't remember it when it showed up in my feed.

I don't remember if this manga was referenced in this thread before or not, but it reminds me a lot of Kuragehime in the comedy style, the art, and the adorably geeky main character.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

She gave him the chocolates like five months later, so everything was okay. I hope she kept them in the fridge.

Edit: What chapter of the manga carries on from where the anime ended? Though to be honest it had a pretty okay ending and I'd only be reading the manga to find out what's going on with Ryu and Chizuru and I'm guessing there's like another 50 chapters of frustrating drama about to happen, so I might leave it for a bit.

43ish? I think, definitely around there.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 9, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks! drat, the manga has a unique style, I never realised, almost like an ink wash effect.

Whoops, I guess she was just using it in that chapter for flashbacks. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 9, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

a kitten posted:

43ish? I think, definitely around there.

46 according to mangaupdates.com

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A lot more happens after the KNT anime ending, so you're in for a good bunch of stuff yet, Saku.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Does anyone here read March Comes in Like a Lion by Chica Umino? Haven't seen it mentioned here, but decided to bring it up again if it's been a while. While I loved Honey & Clover (the ending felt unsatisfying though), there's something about this manga I like a little better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Compendium posted:

Does anyone here read March Comes in Like a Lion by Chica Umino? Haven't seen it mentioned here, but decided to bring it up again if it's been a while. While I loved Honey & Clover (the ending felt unsatisfying though), there's something about this manga I like a little better.

Unlike H&C, it seems like most of the cast might end up doing okay eventually. The sister is obviously going to gently caress up everything she can on her way down, but the root of her issues are so incredibly clear that I can't quite hate her.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

SennyYak posted:

We finally got a new chapter of Haru x Kiyo! I actually had to go back and re-read the previous chapters because I didn't remember it when it showed up in my feed.

I don't remember if this manga was referenced in this thread before or not, but it reminds me a lot of Kuragehime in the comedy style, the art, and the adorably geeky main character.

Also her friends, they are very similar to the Amars. I just put this in my follow list today when the new chapter popped up and it looks pretty cute. I hope it isn't another 6 months for another update though :ohdear:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Compendium posted:

I watched H&C but yeah, I really love this one more

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Compendium posted:

Sangatsu is more sports/tragedy than shoujo/romance but it's close enough. It's my favorite series hands-down, the characters, art and story are all top-notch. No superfluous crap or character bloat, none of the wacky over-the-top stuff that haunted H&C and the way the backstory slowly unfolds is great. It's a shame that it doesn't have a localization yet even though it's sold well in Japan by any standards and H&C did well in North America. Luckily the scans group who did a killer job on volumes 1-3 are coming back to it after a year and half hiatus so there'll be more of it to read again even if we don't get to throw our money at Umino.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Some new yuri thing by Takemiya Jin. I'd kinda prefer to have Fragments be on a sane release schedule, but whatevs. This works too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I stopped reading Jin's stuff because I realized I hate the artstyle he/she has. Everyone looks like noseless or all-nose fishpeople. Although that new one looks like they've been working to improve their artistic skills for sure.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I stopped reading Jin's stuff because I realized I hate the artstyle he/she has. Everyone looks like noseless or all-nose fishpeople. Although that new one looks like they've been working to improve their artistic skills for sure.

I like the artist's style myself, but you're right that they definitely have a problem with really only being able to draw ~2 characters with a couple different hair styles. This new one does seem to be an improvement in that regard. Let's hope that it doesn't have what I assume to be is practically the trademark depressing character back stories.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 10, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Takeymiya Jin is a woman. In fact, she's one of the only three or four manga artists I've heard of that are openly lesbian.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like her stuff in general but yeah, I have even more trouble than usual working out who is who because they all look the same with slightly different hair.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Compendium posted:

I need to get around to reading that, I liked the anime for Honey and Clover a lot, haven't read the manga.

Speaking of the author, the other day I found this 80s-ified version of the H&C cast she did.

and this: which is apparently in the style of Takahashi Macoto

e: timg'd 'cause they're kinda big.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 11, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New Kakukaku Shikajika. I really enjoy her present day spontaneous moments.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Allarion posted:

Wow, I didn't actually know she ran stuff in the same magazine as Ai Yazawa's Nana.

I could also use a time machine like that.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

a kitten posted:

I need to get around to reading that, I liked the anime for Honey and Clover a lot, haven't read the manga.

Speaking of the author, the other day I found this 80s-ified version of the H&C cast she did.

and this: which is apparently in the style of Takahashi Macoto

e: timg'd 'cause they're kinda big.

My god, I forgot about that devil dog from H&C. :gonk:

But yeah, I would recommend March Comes in Like a Lion since the drama is fairly sincere and well balanced by the more down to earth lighthearted scenes. H&C was more imbalanced and barely anything was solved so I'm looking forward to the direction this current series goes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Allarion posted:

Ahh, that was perfect.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm not sure who makes scarier first impressions. The Sensei in Kakukaku Shikajika, or the dad in Silver Spoon.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Blhue posted:

Some new yuri thing by Takemiya Jin. I'd kinda prefer to have Fragments be on a sane release schedule, but whatevs. This works too.

Isn't Fragments a webcomic? If so, it's probably a side project for her. And, yes, she does have a problem with samey faces. It's pretty much the only serious flaw I can think of in her works, though. She's also one of the mangaka I like for having more of a GLBT take than many yuri manga, including actual adult lesbians.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New chapter of House of the Sun. Looks like a giant mom-shaped wrench has just been chucked into the works.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Ch-045--Withdrawal?id=204864

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK that just made me exceptionally angry. It's the worst type of drama because it could be resolved so quickly and never is because the character(s) in question are stubborn and/or don't want to "worry" others. Well good job on that last point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caught up with Kimi ni Todoke, jeeze Pin, give the kids a break, all they want to do is go to the same Uni, let them make their stupid life choices. When did he get responsible anyway? :v:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

OK that just made me exceptionally angry. It's the worst type of drama because it could be resolved so quickly and never is because the character(s) in question are stubborn and/or don't want to "worry" others. Well good job on that last point.

She probably just doesn't want to say out loud that she doesn't want to live with her mom

That's why she says "give me time to think about it" and isn't telling anyone because she knows the answer already but she doesn't like it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Allarion posted:

I'm curious about how her uni boyfriend made the transition from sculpture student to salaryman. Most sculptors I know (ok, most art students) ended up working in retail/catering or decided to get a different degree (which I imagine is what he did).

The page with the time machine sums this whole manga up perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chas McGill posted:

I'm curious about how her uni boyfriend made the transition from sculpture student to salaryman. Most sculptors I know (ok, most art students) ended up working in retail/catering or decided to get a different degree (which I imagine is what he did).

The page with the time machine sums this whole manga up perfectly.

The same way she ended up working in a call center? I don't think there's any degree that makes you better suited to being a generic office worker.