Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

My town's only decent movie theater sucks and I missed the chance of seeing the movie in 3D (They removed the non-dubbed version from all those 3D screens and gave it to the TMNT). So I ended it watching in their oldest screen, where everything looks darker and you get to miss a lot of details. Anyway,lovely picture quality aside,I enjoyed this greatly and I'm already thinking of getting the Blu-ray. This and Planet of the Apes. Both have been the best I've seen this summer.

It was fun,I was laughing, and I don't mind if it didn't have a deep elaborated story. Sometimes I enjoy simple things when they are done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

The movie got lots of laughs, even in a half filled theater in Taiwan. Most of the jokes were big hits, especially everything Groot did.

Yeah, I can imagine Groot being a very 'translatable' character.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

weekly font posted:

I just realized, did this movie had an on-going joke of pronouncing the Nova Corps "Nova Corpse" instead of "Nova Core." I think I only heard the latter once and it was probably from one of them. It's not something I actively picked up on while watching but I guess my brain maybe did. Pretty funny considering what happens to them.

I swear I heard John C. Reilly say 'corpse' on my second viewing.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Just saw the movie last night, I thought GotG (as well as Winter Soldier) was outstanding. Maybe I'm getting old but all the humor worked for me.

One thing occurred to me early on, with Quill's father being described as an alien being composed of light/glowing, and his mom dying relatively young from cancer... was his dad radioactive and did he give her the space-cancer? :ohdear:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Rasczak posted:

Just saw the movie last night, I thought GotG (as well as Winter Soldier) was outstanding. Maybe I'm getting old but all the humor worked for me.

One thing occurred to me early on, with Quill's father being described as an alien being composed of light/glowing, and his mom dying relatively young from cancer... was his dad radioactive and did he give her the space-cancer? :ohdear:

The way I remember it the mother described the father as an angel, so when Yondu compared his looks to an angel immediately followed up by calling Quill son I got the vibe like he meant that literally, he's literally the father. They never took him to his father because Yondu is the father and was keeping that fact from his crew. Then they did that scene about "your father was a supergod spacewizard unknownrace!" and I figured that rules Yondu out right away because I guess he's a relatively mundane species.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011

Rasczak posted:

I thought this as well, as many people did I'd like to believe. I hope we get to see him in the sequel.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

LolitaSama posted:

I thought this as well, as many people did I'd like to believe. I hope we get to see him in the sequel.

And I thought I was a dark-minded bastard. Jeezus.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Pixelante posted:

And I thought I was a dark-minded bastard. Jeezus.

Yeah, I mean....people of all ages DO get cancer.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Did Quill's mom get cancer because she hosed an alien?

e: I posted this without reading the proceeding conversation lol

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 10, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

a cop posted:

Did Quill's mom get cancer because she hosed an alien?

Is that worse than MJ getting cancer from having sex with Spider-Man?

Slowpoke! posted:

Saw the movie last night in IMAX 3D and really enjoyed it. I had read a lot of the critics reviews beforehand though, and I really enjoyed the trailers, so I was somewhat let down by the movie itself because it was hyped up so much, if that makes sense. Enjoyed it, but not as much as I thought I would. Still very solid movie though.

Some tidbits that I thought of after watching the movie and reading about some of the characters.

There were two exposition shouts that were kind of annoying. First, Gamora yelling out that she was betraying Ronan and Thanos. At the very least that one makes sense since she was trying to save her own skin, but at the end when Yondu's crew yells out "Good thing we didn't deliver him to his dad like we were hired to do!" I cringed. That one was definitely heavy-handed.

The movie didn't need the Nova Corps explanation AND Yondu's similar thing at the end. Just one or the other would have sufficed. In fact, the scene Nova Corps explanation felt a little more tacked on than Yondu's, which is making me wonder if they'd intentionally wanted to have left it with Yondu's sort of mysterious statement but thought the audience needed an actual confirmation/statement of what was up.

quote:

Gamora's character development was very lovely in this movie, though people are saying that she could get fleshed out a lot more with a Thanos storyline in the future, and that going into it in this movie might have made it too cluttered. I'm okay with that. Origin stories suck, and I'm glad Quill's got glossed over.

I sort of think all Gamora needed as a 'kid Gamora' scene of a towering giant that is Thanos snatching her up after killing her family and throwing her in with his other 'daughters' to be raised as killers. It'd been able to be a short scene, but it could have done a lot to show right from the start of the film she's been through hell and a plan to betray Thanos has been building in her head for years.

Also, I wasn't surprised Groot died/reborn but I honestly expected it to go down a completely different way. Specifically, sort of like the Adventure Time episode where people were becoming Zombies. I figured Groot would have died snatching up the gem and growing himself out and around it in an attempt to keep it contained and from spreading out to kill anything else organic.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So, wait. Are there four infinity stones?

Look here: Marvel gives James Gunn a gift

- The tesseract
- The aether
- The orb
- Loki's staff?

I thought Loki's staff was just empowered by the Tesseract.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

People have theorized Loki's staff contains the mind gem because it can mind control people.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Red posted:

- The tesseract
- The aether
- The orb
- Loki's staff?

For some reason the internet has decided to forget everything said about the staff in Avengers because of reasons, it's almost certainly not the Mind Gem.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes, we needed the scenes at the end about who was Quill's father, evidenced by all the posters in this thread who were really confused about it, apparently unable to pay attention in the first 10 minutes of the goddam movie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of think all Gamora needed as a 'kid Gamora' scene of a towering giant that is Thanos snatching her up after killing her family and throwing her in with his other 'daughters' to be raised as killers. It'd been able to be a short scene, but it could have done a lot to show right from the start of the film she's been through hell and a plan to betray Thanos has been building in her head for years.

I'm really hoping the sequel will start with this, as a counterpoint to the first movie. It would also parallel Quill's own search for Cosmic Dad or whatever, so you can't say only the female characters are motivated by Daddy Issues.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hra Mormo posted:

The way I remember it the mother described the father as an angel, so when Yondu compared his looks to an angel immediately followed up by calling Quill son I got the vibe like he meant that literally, he's literally the father. They never took him to his father because Yondu is the father and was keeping that fact from his crew. Then they did that scene about "your father was a supergod spacewizard unknownrace!" and I figured that rules Yondu out right away because I guess he's a relatively mundane species.

I literally can't believe multiple people have not only thought this, but actually have accounts on this forum and post about it on here.

Please watch the movie and listen to what people are saying.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fellblade posted:

For some reason the internet has decided to forget everything said about the staff in Avengers because of reasons, it's almost certainly not the Mind Gem.

I don't think it was explicitly confirmed that the staff was powered by the cube. The whole "you can't defend against yourself" bit would still hold true if you took it to mean that various infinity stones can 'attack' each other.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

jivjov posted:

I don't think it was explicitly confirmed that the staff was powered by the cube.

It's why the staff is able to shut the portal down at the end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

It's why the staff is able to shut the portal down at the end.

But it could also be the infinity stones working in tandem.

I can go either way for it, but the staff already seems to be a big deal for the next Avengers film.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I think it would be odd if the staff wasn't the mind gem, if only because it sort of undercuts the mind gem's powers if it's not. 'And this gem grants you the power of mind control!....... Like that staff that was made with the other, supposedly different gem.'

There are convincing arguments against it, but I think it would be a misstep.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I kinda figured it was a "fight fire with fire" thing and that an Infinity Stone could be used to negate the effects of another Infinity Stone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I can't believe people actually think that Loki's staff is a separate gem.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I can't believe people actually think that Loki's staff is a separate gem.

Why not? In the Winter Solider stinger, the staff is given a close-up (to the gem-like part specifically) while a voice over says "what we have is worth more than any of them ever knew. And we have only begun to scratch the surface."

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Nobody at my theater was very impressed by Howard the Duck. :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Captain Mog posted:

I got the vibe that the main draw of The Avengers was "Hey! We have all sorts of badass Marvel superheroes in one movie check it out!" which assumed that its audience knew all there was to know about the characters while this was more focused on developing the characters and the setting as if the audience knew nothing about either.

It was pretty much assumed that even if you've never picked up a dead tree comic book or read one of its digital cousins, that before seeing The Avengers you would have already seen Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America, Thor, and maybe The Incredible Hulk. As such the character development was pretty much focused on the characters without their own movie, hence the whole Hawkeye and Black Widow subplot.

It's kinda revolutionary, and admittedly not for everyone, but the MCU movies actually ask you to do homework (ie see the previous films).

in other words, don't expect a lot of character development for the GotG characters if they appear in Avengers 3 as most of us assume they will. That's what Guardians 1 and 2 are for.

First Bass posted:

Nobody at my theater was very impressed by Howard the Duck. :v:

You have to be of a certain age. And while I got a chuckle out of it because I'm of that age, I'm pretty sure most of the teenagers and twenty somethings in the crowd hadn't a clue who that talking duck was or why they should care.

Red posted:

- The tesseract
- The aether
- The orb
- Loki's staff?

Okay, so here's the deal. There are six Infinity Stones. We haven't seen three of them. Weak sauce spoilers ahoy:

They're changing the colors up. In the original comics it went:

Green - Soul
Orange - Time
Purple - Space
Blue - Mind
Yellow - Reality
Red - Power

However, in the movie reality the following things have been confirmed by people making the movies (Kevin Feige and James Gunn, to be precise):

Blue (Tesseract) - Space (This makes sense, as it was opening portals in space)

Red (Aether) - Reality (This also makes sense, since it was going to be used by Malekith to remake reality into oblivion)

Purple (Orb) - Power (Again, it works because the stone didn't do anything but put out massive amounts of energy that can only be directed by beings (or groups of beings) of great power)

This leaves us with the Mind, Soul, and Time Stones unaccounted for. In that Loki's Staff is also blue and not green, orange, or yellow, it is unlikely to be the Mind Stone. My assumption is that Loki's staff was indeed powered by the Space Stone, much as the HYDRA guns were in Captain America: The First Avenger. In which case Loki designed a mind control staff which fits both with his need to control people and the mental nature of his powers.

We should note too that the broken open cocoon behind The Collector in the Howard the Duck teaser was confirmed to have contained Adam Warlock, who has been the bearer of the Soul Stone for most of his comic book existence...

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I personally loved how they skipped the "show" portion of each character's backstories. In every other one of these obvious trilogies, the first movie is just 60-75 minutes of the hero discovering their new powers and establishing the world, followed by them quickly overcoming the required conflict. I love how they just jumped right into "Ok here's the characters, use context clues and inference to figure out their past so that we can actually get to the story faster."

Overall I thought the movie was great. My only (extremely minor) complaint (which I think I saw somewhere else in the thread) was how the Xandarian's, fresh out of a interstellar war, didn't have an armada or planetary defense capable of blowing up 1 large ship.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 10, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jng2058 posted:

It's kinda revolutionary, and admittedly not for everyone, but the MCU movies actually ask you to do homework (ie see the previous films).

I re-watched Thor for the first time since it came out earlier today, and I was floored when the head SHIELD guy at the impact crater site (well, other than Coulson) was our good friend Jasper Sitwell. There are so many little things in the MCU movies that eventually get callbacks and it's great. They almost never make a big deal of them but spotting them is lots of fun for the viewer.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

WarLocke posted:

I re-watched Thor for the first time since it came out earlier today, and I was floored when the head SHIELD guy at the impact crater site (well, other than Coulson) was our good friend Jasper Sitwell. There are so many little things in the MCU movies that eventually get callbacks and it's great. They almost never make a big deal of them but spotting them is lots of fun for the viewer.

I think the biggest difference between MCU movies and other superhero movies is that they are perfectly ok with not explaining things. If Guardians was made by Fox or someone we would have seen a minute long montage of Ronan filling out the space forms to apply for the job of Accuser. Marvel is ok with showing something and not going into detail on it if it isn't important to the immediate story. At no point in the film does anyone turn to the screen and go "Ah yes Ravagers the roaming band of space pirates lead by Yondu" GotG just assumes that you will probably pick up on this over the course of the film. I think it goes a long way in keeping the pacing tight when you don't pull an Amazing Spiderman 2 and explain every new scene in huge detail.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

randombattle posted:

I think the biggest difference between MCU movies and other superhero movies is that they are perfectly ok with not explaining things. If Guardians was made by Fox or someone we would have seen a minute long montage of Ronan filling out the space forms to apply for the job of Accuser. Marvel is ok with showing something and not going into detail on it if it isn't important to the immediate story. At no point in the film does anyone turn to the screen and go "Ah yes Ravagers the roaming band of space pirates lead by Yondu" GotG just assumes that you will probably pick up on this over the course of the film. I think it goes a long way in keeping the pacing tight when you don't pull an Amazing Spiderman 2 and explain every new scene in huge detail.

Well, except Thor.

"You're part of the six realms of so and so and magic is what we call science!"

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
My only comment was my nerdling excitement when the Collector starts asking where the stone was. It reminded me of a just-as-fun movie.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

CelticPredator posted:

"If you took a black light in here, I'd be like a Jackson Pollack painting."

Saw it this afternoon and we're still cracking up about this line.

We had great fun seeing it with our son (who at age 8 missed all the 80s references and dick jokes, but loved the wisecracks and fighting).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

So are the Kree supposed to be space Native Americans or what's the deal with that? I don't read comics so I don't know the background but Ronan kept talking about getting revenge on Xandar for loving them over for a thousand years and he wears face paint so I kind of got that impression. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Slowpoke! posted:

The movie got lots of laughs, even in a half filled theater in Taiwan. Most of the jokes were big hits, especially everything Groot did.

When I was watching the second time in HK there were like no laughs apart people laughing at Rocket in each scene, even during his breakdown in the bar.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So are the Kree supposed to be space Native Americans or what's the deal with that? I don't read comics so I don't know the background but Ronan kept talking about getting revenge on Xandar for loving them over for a thousand years and he wears face paint so I kind of got that impression. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree

I don't think the guy called Ronin (or Ronan or Rhonynne or whatever) strutting around yelling about the honor of war in his deathmetal samurai armor is meant to be read as indian at all but that's just me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I don't think the guy called Ronin (or Ronan or Rhonynne or whatever) strutting around yelling about the honor of war in his deathmetal samurai armor is meant to be read as indian at all but that's just me.

His costume reminded me of Sphinx from Mystery Men, who was played by Wes Studi, a Native American. Coincidence? Probably.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

From what I can gather from the comics and cartoons, the Kree are actually a high-tech civilization that sees themselves as superior to others.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

Well, except Thor.

"You're part of the six realms of so and so and magic is what we call science!"

I can kinda give it a pass on Thor since it was so weird in relation to most big budget sci-fi.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The MSJ posted:

From what I can gather from the comics and cartoons, the Kree are actually a high-tech civilization that sees themselves as superior to others.

Okay, it's just weird to me to have a fictional civilization whose name is phonetically identical to an actual civilization.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Okay, it's just weird to me to have a fictional civilization whose name is phonetically identical to an actual civilization.

They probably didn't know when they made them up, or if they did they just thought it sounded cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Gotta say I was sorta let down that a place called the Kyln did not have some kind of obvious oven theme, to go with space samurai Ronan and drifting severed head Knowhere

Just an entire galaxy of corny dadjoke wordplay naming conventions

• Locked thread