Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Them's spergin' words, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Is there a real not-tvtropes sociological name for a large group of people who identify as an interest group yet know nothing about what members of the interest group actually do or how they behave? Something that encompasses libertarians/bitcoiners/etc who think they're financial captains of industry, tropers that think they're academics, social justice warriors, that sort of thing? Charlatanism sort of comes close but doesn't really carry the hive-mind mass-delusion-echo-chamber connotation and calling them cults or quacks doesn't quite fit either.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Cargo cult. It's a specific term that describes exactly that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bucketmouse posted:

Is there a real not-tvtropes sociological name for a large group of people who identify as an interest group yet know nothing about what members of the interest group actually do or how they behave? Something that encompasses libertarians/bitcoiners/etc who think they're financial captains of industry, tropers that think they're academics, social justice warriors, that sort of thing? Charlatanism sort of comes close but doesn't really carry the hive-mind mass-delusion-echo-chamber connotation and calling them cults or quacks doesn't quite fit either.

Stupidity. Incompetence.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

bucketmouse posted:

Cargo cult, or, in the corporate world, middle management.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Annointed posted:

Oh hell where the gently caress do I start?
By clicking the little X at the top of your browser window and going outside for a bit?

I mean, even setting aside that people did point how half-assed it was (in the two posts total between the medal and your post about it), who needs a detail-by-detail dissection of every single element to get that it's stupid and ugly? It's friggin' self-evident.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

By clicking the little X at the top of your browser window and going outside for a bit?

I mean, even setting aside that people did point how half-assed it was (in the two posts total between the medal and your post about it), who needs a detail-by-detail dissection of every single element to get that it's stupid and ugly? It's friggin' self-evident.

Yeah I overreacted, my apologies. It's just that this sort of thing is something I'm really passionate about. Logos that cover the ideals of a group fascinate me and Tropers not seeing why there is so much they could do with this is disheartening. When I typed "no one" I meant to say "tropers", well that's what I get for not reading over my posts twice.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 10, 2014

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

FrozenVent posted:

Please link a source :allears:

Christ, Reddit, could you at least leave Fallout alone? Please? I mean, I know that there are probably dozens of neckbeards downloading mods where you can rape Cook-Cook, but do you have to call attention] to it?

And then that loving SMUG "perhaps it is you who are in the wrong" :smug::smug::smug: Jesus CHRIST.

Reddit is literally the worst guys.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Byde posted:

This post is not from TvTropes specifically, but the site has nearly 9000 words (not including the intro text) on bad fanfic which manages to have an ebook and Deviantart-level "cover" art (which won't show here and I don't feel like converting them to Imgur) made by this chucklefuck.

The site is definitely worth looking at if you love really long lists of boring-rear end tropes. The intro text makes it obvious just why Tropers love it:

quote:

Just to give prospective readers an idea of how long it is, the first 100K words alone cover just the first 24 hours of the story. Despite its length, To the Stars will capture your interest if you're at all interested in realistic assessment of how would the existence and eventual public acceptance of Puella Magi affect mankind for the next few centuries, and what would it look like if magical girls were starring in rather hard Military Science-Fiction set in an elaborate, massively detailed world of the 25th century.

Hugely long, and it's all HARD MILITARY SF that can convince sad dudes that this derivative of a genre intended for 5-year-old girls is really for them? Yep, that's troper bait.

(Fun fact: checking the included fanfiction.net link indicates the story is 413,798 words long, in 33 chapters, and doesn't look to be done. It's been worked on for almost three years at this point. Christ on a loving cracker, how basically empty does your life have to be for you to spend three years producing 3/4-of-War-and-Peace-worth of fanfiction about DARK EDGY MAGICAL GIRLS, NOW WITH SPACE MILITARIES? Is this Major Tom?)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It can't be Major Tom's work, that would imply he actually writes things rather than just sperging out about details that literally no one else, not even :tvtropes: cares about. I doubt that Major Tom has even written two-thousand words of his abomination, just the few snippets he posts on the forums every once in a while.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Don Gato posted:

It can't be Major Tom's work, that would imply he actually writes things rather than just sperging out about details that literally no one else, not even :tvtropes: cares about. I doubt that Major Tom has even written two-thousand words of his abomination, just the few snippets he posts on the forums every once in a while.

Yeah, I posted that and then realized "poo poo, it can't be Major Tom, that would imply Major Tom was capable of writing, not just daydreaming about having written." As pitiful as these mega-wordcount fanfics inevitably are, at least they involve some form of attempted creative endeavor.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

From the Older Than They Think index of "Settings":

quote:

Many people think that eating international cuisine is something that came about in the 1980's.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

tacodaemon posted:

To be fair there are people who are astounded that there was civilization three thousand years ago, then again they're fools but who's counting?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Remember that really fun arcade game, Golden Axe? It has a page!

quote:

Amazonian Beauty: Tyris Flare, the Zuburokas and of course Sarah Barn. If you squint, Dora the Centaur in Death Adder's Revenge (more so when she gets on a beast and morphs into a human).

It takes two tropes before they want to gently caress a centaur.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Annointed posted:

To be fair there are people who are astounded that there was civilization three thousand years ago, then again they're fools but who's counting?
Wait, what? That's the later days of ancient Egypt, isn't it? Who's surprised by that?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Wait, what? That's the later days of ancient Egypt, isn't it? Who's surprised by that?

The same sort of people who think eating foreign food was invented more recently than the Atari 2600, I'd guess.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

bucketmouse posted:

I think of them as granfalloons, but I read Kurt Vonnegut way too young.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

tacodaemon posted:

I love that there are apparently hotel autists just like there are for trains and planes, and this one is ready to denounce the insidious urban legend that the first Holiday Inn Express was built in 1991.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
The Hypocrite page has this for its picture:

It's kind of funny and it illustrates the meaning well, but then there's the caption:

quote:

Can't You Read the Sign? It says "No Signs Allowed"...oh, wait...

Thanks, :tvtropes:, for over-explaining the joke despite having a trope specifically about not doing this.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Runcible Cat posted:

I think of them as granfalloons, but I read Kurt Vonnegut way too young.

That fits really well and it makes me rather happy to find out that Wikipedia's entry for it links to a handful of social psychology research papers where it's been adopted as an academic term.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Antivehicular posted:

The site is definitely worth looking at if you love really long lists of boring-rear end tropes. The intro text makes it obvious just why Tropers love it:

Hugely long, and it's all HARD MILITARY SF that can convince sad dudes that this derivative of a genre intended for 5-year-old girls is really for them? Yep, that's troper bait.

(Fun fact: checking the included fanfiction.net link indicates the story is 413,798 words long, in 33 chapters, and doesn't look to be done. It's been worked on for almost three years at this point. Christ on a loving cracker, how basically empty does your life have to be for you to spend three years producing 3/4-of-War-and-Peace-worth of fanfiction about DARK EDGY MAGICAL GIRLS, NOW WITH SPACE MILITARIES? Is this Major Tom?)

That is absolutely nothing compared to a wrestling story that's been going on for a decade and still updated weekly. It's over a million words long.

projecthalaxy posted:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2094087/1/Hugs-and-Kisses

Currently 3,658,319 words or, if you prefer, the King James Bible plus Atlas Shrugged plus the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy plus a bit more words.

Currently, Steph and Jericho's kid is being menaced by the Wyatts while Steph also deals with the Brie situation. It's a strange blend of current storylines and her own work.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BlueDude posted:

It's kind of funny and it illustrates the meaning well, but then there's the caption:

Thanks, :tvtropes:, for over-explaining the joke despite having a trope specifically about not doing this.

This has already been removed. Within minutes of your post, in fact. :allears:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

SerialKilldeer posted:

There's a subsection of "criminals" on a subpage called "Other Pencilnecks":

I thought the "trope" (using that term very loosely) was about taking pride in the fact that actual noteworthy and successful people like the same things you do. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that criminals are included.

Maybe this troper is LF as gently caress and proud to be associated with assassinating Ronald Reagan.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

There's a trope called Eagleland Osmosis that refers to people outside the United States expecting things to work they way they do on American TV shows, such as referring to judges as "your honor" or expecting to be read their rights when arrested. The end of the introduction says, "Please note that while this trope is common in Real Life, examples here should only be from the media," but nonetheless there is a section of "Real Life" examples anyway.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/RealityIsUnrealistic/RealLife

quote:

An audience member at a late showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show was asked to leave the theater for being a Tim Curry impersonator. The member? Tim Curry.

I too am familiar with the "NO TIM CURRY IMPERSONATORS" sign that is a fixture of American movie theater entrances.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

This has already been removed. Within minutes of your post, in fact. :allears:

Strange, I could have sworn the paywall was still up.

On a related note, I do recall that captions tend to get added and deleted without much fanfare.

(And, as of this writing, there's still a single right bracket left on that page. Whoever deleted it was clearly half-assing it.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BlueDude posted:

Strange, I could have sworn the paywall was still up.
I just checked. It is. :ohdear:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

What if Fast Eddie was actually one of the largest contributors to this thread

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Fast Eddie is a master hackinator, obviously he hacked SA HQ to bring down the paywall to read this thread.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The page's edit history says the caption was removed by "LoonShia".

LoonShia posted:

I haven't read any of the bullshit you guys have quoted, for my sanity's sake. Does that make me a bad person?

:ms:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

sweeperbravo posted:

What if Fast Eddie was actually one of the largest contributors to this thread

I know you are probably joking, but he seems too egotistical for that. I don't think anyone who's been extensively featured here would want to hang out in the the thread that mocked them so much, without rushing to their own defense.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I know you are probably joking, but he seems too egotistical for that. I don't think anyone who's been extensively featured here would want to hang out in the the thread that mocked them so much, without rushing to their own defense.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely kidding. Unless he was more brilliant than I can imagine and the entire "Fast Eddie" is just a persona he's maintained in order to run that site, deliberately making bad code and bad decisions while chugging along happily at a day job under his real name and coming here to laugh with us at his own fake self. :wom:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

sweeperbravo posted:

Oh yeah, I'm definitely kidding. Unless he was more brilliant than I can imagine and the entire "Fast Eddie" is just a persona he's maintained in order to run that site, deliberately making bad code and bad decisions while chugging along happily at a day job under his real name and coming here to laugh with us at his own fake self. :wom:

stop spoiling my fanfiction pls

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The page's edit history says the caption was removed by "LoonShia".

:ms:

Smoking Crow posted:

THE RULES
1) Look but don't touch.
Anyone that posts in this thread will not post on TvTropes.

Um...

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BlueDude posted:

No see it's lampshading the show, don't tell trope and

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.
Tropers will just revert the caption on the Hypocrite page because for them a page having more words means that it is inherently better.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Speaking of :regd08:, there's another "Just for Fun" page that suffers heavily from this problem: "Trope Name Injokes", purportedly a page where tropers mock themselves.

Some choice quotes:

quote:

Discussion of how the trope relates to anime or manga, even if it doesn't.

quote:

* Example after example about Obscure Anime That Was Never Released Outside Japan.
** One of which is so laden with fanspeak as to be practically in Japanese itself.

quote:

An example which bugs you because you wanted to be the one to add it.

This one sums up a part of the troper mentality unintentionally well, methinks.

quote:

Robin Williams example, probably added by Lurkerbunny.

Remember her? It's been a while.

quote:

Fan Fiction example of this trope, supposedly not one written by the editor writing this example.

quote:

Snarky example from Snark Bait: The Series that would be heavily edited if it weren't for the fact that most tropers agree.

Here we get to see one of the side effects of the "ALWAYS BE POSITIVE GODDAMNIT" mentality, and how the only way to escape it is to be bad by popular consensus. (See also: the So Bad, It's Horrible pages)

quote:

* Obligatory example with My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
** At least eight further examples plus one from My Little Pony Equestria Girls.

I honestly kinda like this one.

quote:

Example from Super Mario 64 using a quote specific to the DS remake with a link to Updated Re-release or Super Title 64 Advance.

This one, however, is slightly baffling. Is this really a problem that needed to be documented?

Even when tropers try to make fun of themselves, they still can't escape their :spergin: nature.

I'll leave you one more quote to cap off this long as hell post:

quote:

Semi-shoehorned example from Calvin & Hobbes: The Series.

"semi-shoehorned"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I knew reusing the same username on different sites would come back to haunt me.

Well, see ya!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

LoonShia posted:

I knew reusing the same username on different sites would come back to haunt me.

Well, see ya!
No.

Stop.

Don't go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

LoonShia posted:

Well, see ya!

It's okay, no one really cares

And if they do they should relax and go outside for a while, take a nice walk around the block or something

edit: That rule is basically there to stop people from deliberately going over there to stir up new poop as if there isn't already easily accessible poop just waiting to be ladled into our mouths

• Locked thread