Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know if cloth can be masterfully dyed? Even with a Legendary Dyer I'm only seeing exceptional dye jobs.

Yes, it can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Rather than having three masons, it's better to have one Mason's workshop that only your best mason can use. This is solely to make quality furniture on demand.

Then you have 5-10 Mason's workshops that your best guy isn't allowed to touch, all set to produce rock blocks on repeat. Any dwarf without a useful profession is sent to the sweatshop. It gets rid off all the loose rock lying around, produces tons of blocks for constructions and megaprojects, helps boost the workers' attributes, and makes it more likely your next artifact will be a useful piece of furniture instead of a wooden scepter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Remember when masterpiece clothes used to cause the "art destruction" bad mood when they rotted? That was a great bug. Had to watch your clothiers like a hawk, and fire them as soon as they started making masterpieces.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Since Small Frozen Thing asked (like four weeks ago, my bad!) I've compiled my ludicrous fire-shooting slade colossus raws. Just put them into your raws folder, generate a new world and fly around setting poo poo on fire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g20aqliitdbi2vv/slade_colossus.zip

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Alright so I see people assigning jobs based on dwarf preferences and traits, how does this work? And is it worthwhile?

Similarly, I've seen people talk about assigning skill points on embark based on same, but how can you even see the details about the dwarfs before you've embarked?

Assigning jobs based on their preferences isn't usually necessary. Their stats can sometimes be a good idea, particularly with miners. I like to make sure my miners are slow to tire, at least. Very slow or indefatigable is best though. By the time you get your first few migrant waves, though, it's completely unnecessary unless you really like to micromanage your dwarves and make a nifty society. This page on the wiki has some information about what attributes govern what skills and what descriptions they come with: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Attribute

On the embark screen, you can highlight your dwarves and press v to view their status and see all their preferences and stuff.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

man, hallucinating bugs crawling all over you? not a nice way to wake up

Toady One posted:

Quite a bit of time burned chasing a (hopefully rare) save corruption, with not much to show for it, but I managed some other changes:
  • Made unretired forts unhide fully, flowing from surface and all units
  • Required animal hauling labor for various jobs
  • Added new labors for hauling trade goods, pulling levers, removing constructions and hauling water
  • Made laborless building construct/destroy jobs take furniture hauling
  • Attached trap cleaning to clean labor
  • Added another adjustment to designation jobs to help them vs. paths that became bad

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Since Small Frozen Thing asked (like four weeks ago, my bad!) I've compiled my ludicrous fire-shooting slade colossus raws. Just put them into your raws folder, generate a new world and fly around setting poo poo on fire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g20aqliitdbi2vv/slade_colossus.zip

Is this the one where you just replaced bronze colossi instead of making a new race? Meaning that if you forget and start a fort on these raws, you might have a slade colossus invade you?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Oooh, new labours!

Today One the Great and Powerful posted:

-Added new labors for hauling trade goods, pulling levers, removing constructions and hauling water
-Attached trap cleaning to clean labor

So, as we discuss labour micromanagement, we shall soon have an update that shall improve our abilities in that area! How wondrous, that designated lever-puller dwarf is so much simpler now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

scamtank posted:

man, hallucinating bugs crawling all over you? not a nice way to wake up

Aww, looks like kids will be even more useless soon.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Made unretired forts unhide fully, flowing from surface and all units

Cool, I think this is what was causing unretired player forts to die immediate FPS deaths.

Zomborgon posted:

Oooh, new labours!

I'm excited to have dedicated lever teams and removal teams.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hum..I'm not sure I like trap cleaning being tied to general cleaning, given the latter's ridiculously low priority.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

You really don't need the hens at all, turkeys are better in every way. Turkeys produce 10-14 eggs, hens produce 4-15 eggs. The rare times that hens produce 15 eggs and therefore more than possible for a turkey, will be more than offset by the many times they produce 4-9 eggs. On average a turkey produce 12 eggs, and a hen produces 9.5.

When you slaughter the useless males for meat/leather, turkeys are vastly superior. A full grown chicken produces 13 edibles and 4 bones, to a turkey's 19 edibles and 6 bones. Both take 2 years to reach full grown. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Domestic_animal#Comparison_of_domestic_poultry

I'd suggest keeping a cage in/near your hen houses, and lock up all the juveniles to save some FPS drain. If FPS isn't an issue yet, keeping the surplus male juveniles in a pasture near your entrance can provide a valuable hostile distraction and passive thief detection. Big things have trouble hitting tiny things, so they can buy you a surprising amount of time to get your military formed up. You'll lose some meat since tame creatures killed by hostiles can't be butchered, but better that they fill your poults than your dwarfs full of arrows.

Can i lock multiple chickens in a single cage?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Angela Christine posted:

Aww, looks like kids will be even more useless soon.

He didn't say anything about all dwarves harvesting crops, so presumably they'll still do that.

quote:

Required animal hauling labor for various jobs

I got really excited for a second cause I read this as beasts of burden being implemented, but I guess maybe it refers to pasturing no longer being a laborless job?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also on the topic of poultry, eggs and breeding, will they lay eggs in forbidden nest boxes? Will dwarves collect eggs from forbidden nest boxes?
(Forbidden nest boxes i.e. constructed as nest box buildings and the nest box item forbidden through the 't' menu afterwards.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah, cages are infinitely big.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, cages are infinitely big.

Dwarven mastery of applied quantum mechanics is a wondrous thing.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

GreyPowerVan posted:

You can lock anything and everything in a single cage and they only thing you have to worry about is if the animal can starve or die of dehydration.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

nielsm posted:

Also on the topic of poultry, eggs and breeding, will they lay eggs in forbidden nest boxes? Will dwarves collect eggs from forbidden nest boxes?
(Forbidden nest boxes i.e. constructed as nest box buildings and the nest box item forbidden through the 't' menu afterwards.)

Don't forbid the box itself, forbid the eggs inside of it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Don't forbid the box itself, forbid the eggs inside of it.

What I was hoping for was a way to dedicate e.g. a third of my nest boxes for breeding and the remaining for egg collection without having to micromanage.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Not gonna be easy. What you could do is pasture some chickens or whatever in a room and then lock the doors behind them. That way none of the eggs will be collected from that particular nest. Unlock the door when the chicks hatch so you can butcher anything that needs to be butchered, or just leave them there. As far as I know, birds need no care from dwarves and will just survive forever.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Not gonna be easy. What you could do is pasture some chickens or whatever in a room and then lock the doors behind them. That way none of the eggs will be collected from that particular nest. Unlock the door when the chicks hatch so you can butcher anything that needs to be butchered, or just leave them there. As far as I know, birds need no care from dwarves and will just survive forever.

This is how I do it, you just lock them in there for a couple weeks or months or however long it takes for them to fill up the boxes with eggs. Then you manually forbid the eggs you want to hatch, unlock the doors, and it's business as usual. True, it stops food egg gathering for the duration, but it's still the least labor intensive way to handle the breeding, I think.

Birds require no upkeep so you can just keep them locked in there without any worries. Unless you've got something like elk birds, which are grazers, but then you just need to put the room somewhere with grass or fungus.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I need some help re-learning Dwarf Fortress after a break of about 7 years. When last I played and had DF down, there was only one layer, every time you started off there was just, simply, a giant mountain you dig into eastward. So I am trying to figure out what the best way to go about doing this is, I would really, really like for it to be as graphically advanced as possible with Stonesense and all, so I'm thinking that means to use something based on 34.11, I have Mastework 5.10 and PeridexisErrant Lazy Newb Pack r67 downloaded, but they're quite a bit more complex than I'd imagined they'd be. All the utilities and such I have zero clue about. Any ideas on how I simply get up and running so I can learn the game playing with either of these?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah, don't use Masterwork. It's a mod pack that adds all kinds of complicated poo poo.

The best way to think about the new DF is that it's been rotated 90 degrees, with what WAS east now being DOWN. This means that as you dig down you will find caves, potentially with water, then lava, then adamantine and hell, the same way you did in the 2d version. Surprisingly, as long as you don't embark in a terrifying jungle biome with zombie elephants or something, this version tends to be a lot less lethal. For example, finding underground water doesn't mean that one of your miners is probably going to die. Aside from the obvious there have been a few changes for the better, such as being able to dig out areas larger than 6x6 without supports, caravans don't need roads, just a path through the trees for their wagons, farms can be built underground on soil layers like sand or clay without any irrigation, and probably a bunch of other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

The hardest part will PROBABLY be finding a place to start, since you have thousands of potential embark points instead of just a dozen or so. Fortunately there is the site finder now. Your best bet, trying to relearn the game, is to find somewhere without an aquifer. That would be the biggest roadblock, since it would prevent you from digging down without some elaborate setups to drain water away. Also, of course, making sure you don't have zombie elephants.

For utilities, the two most important, but strictly optional, are DFhack and Dwarf Therapist. DFhack is a command line thing that lets you cheat in various ways, and can also automate some fortress functions. It also has the all-important reveal function, letting you see underground. Dwarf Therapist is a utility that lets you keep track of dwarves' happiness and jobs and whatnot much more easily. It isn't super important when you first start out, but when you get some population it's a lifesaver.

The Lazy Newb Pack is probably a good idea, since it comes with those two (and some others, I think, but you can turn them off) and it allows you to install tilepacks very easily and painlessly. I'd recommend just loving around with those. The wiki is also a really good resource for pretty much everything you need to reteach yourself the game.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 10, 2014

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Masterwork 6 is out. It's pretty cool.

In general, You can turn off most of the overlycomplex masterwork stuff and it's not too much worse than regular DF. The basics aren't changed in the new version, so captain duck's old df video tutorials are mostly still valid.

E: And seconding dwarf therapist. DF without it: Not even once. And just turn off aquifers unless you want hardmode or if you want to do silly dickery with the infinite water.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah I would suggest just starting with lazynewbpack and then settling in a good or calm region with flux , shallow metals and soil.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Felime posted:

Masterwork 6 is out. It's pretty cool.

I'm having a bug with mousequery in V6:
If I mousequery track enable then I get weird bugs where the placement preview Xs are offset from the cursor, and hitting ESC to get out of placement or designation mode warps me to the center of the map at Z -4.

Without mousequery-track, of course, life is hateful.

Edit: hmm, I wonder how one could build an autoforbid-N-eggs dfhack plugin. Maybe I'll putter with that, hope it's not too annoying to test.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 10, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Apoplexy posted:

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I need some help re-learning Dwarf Fortress after a break of about 7 years. When last I played and had DF down, there was only one layer, every time you started off there was just, simply, a giant mountain you dig into eastward. So I am trying to figure out what the best way to go about doing this is, I would really, really like for it to be as graphically advanced as possible with Stonesense and all, so I'm thinking that means to use something based on 34.11, I have Mastework 5.10 and PeridexisErrant Lazy Newb Pack r67 downloaded, but they're quite a bit more complex than I'd imagined they'd be. All the utilities and such I have zero clue about. Any ideas on how I simply get up and running so I can learn the game playing with either of these?

It is actually a lot easier to keep the inside of your fort safe now. You know how you had to have bridges over the cave river, the chasm, and the lava river? Maybe with elaborate triple bridge systems to try to catch idiots the were swept off the bridge during the seasonal floods. And you had to constantly be on guard because an infinite number of frogmen, snakemen, antmen, and lava creatures could spawn out of their streams and right into your main hallway. Yeah, all that is gone now. RIP.

Instead you dig down to find those things. Floor (H)atch is a new piece of furniture, basically a door for vertical space. Absolutely nothing, not demons, not dragons, nothing, can break a locked floor hatch from below. So build floor hatches over your stairways and ramps every few levels as you go down, and if you breach something you aren't ready to deal with just lock the hatch and ignore it.

Indoor farming is generally easier. If the site you are embarking on has Soil or Clay layers, you can farm without needing to rig mud. Which is good, because without the cave river seasonal floods mud is kind of a bother to engineer. If you do get some underground stone wet it will remain muddy forever though, so that's a plus. It is generally a good idea to just dig into a soil layer, set up your farms, basic workshops, stockpiles, a dormitory and dining room right away as a temporary home base.

A big change is Aquifers. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer They are a hassle to get through, so just don't use a site that has an aquifer for now. The Lazy Newb Pack has an option to turn off aquifers entirely. Or the site finder can help you find a good site without an aquifer.

A very nice new feature is constructions. You can now build new walls and floors. Nice. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Construction

You can make things a little easier for yourself by using the "Design New World with Advanced Parameters" to make your world. First choose a Medium or Small Region.

Change the end year. The way the world is generated now, the default of 1050 is way too long. 100 years will give everyone plenty of time to get established, 200 if you want all your dwarfs to be born rather than poofed into existence.

Set Mineral Scarcity to 500-1000 so you will have lots of minerals for your first game. You are no longer guaranteed to find every metal in every site. If minerals are set too low it is possible that no one in the entire world will have iron.
On that same screen set Vampire curse types, werebeast curse types, and secret types to None. Those are all fun things that can show up any time, even the first year when you have no military to speak of an nothing but a locked door to hide behind. You don't want to have to deal with it while you figure out the new mechanics.

Finally, if you want to be able to do any hunting at all, change Z levels above ground to a low number, I like 3. The default is 15, and the problem with that is it allows birds to sit in the sky way out of crossbow range of your dwarves. No other animals will spawn as long as a flock of birds is chilling on the map, so they can shut down hunting entirely. Depending on the species of the flock they may come down to harass dwarfs and livestock, then fly back up into the high sky whenever they get hurt or scared. It is just a nuisance. Unless you plan to build the Tower of Babel you don't need all that sky space.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Angela Christine posted:

Set Mineral Scarcity to 500-1000 so you will have lots of minerals for your first game. You are no longer guaranteed to find every metal in every site. If minerals are set too low it is possible that no one in the entire world will have iron.

Just want to emphasize that this parameter operates backwards of how someone might assume as the higher it is, the more scarce minerals are. Higher numbers = less minerals.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You can turn off aquifers by removing all [AQUIFER] tags from the inorganic_stone_soil, inorganic_stone_layer and inorganic_stone_mineral files in the raws. You need to generate a whole new world before it'll take effect though, but then you don't have to deal with piece of poo poo aquifers ruining like 90% of your good sites again.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

:siren: New version! Point-oh-seven was a fairly major stop before some wild new features during the v34 arc. How about now?

Toady One posted:

Enjoy another set of bug fixes!

Major bug fixes
  • Fixed crash that involved promoting certain stops above their route
  • Removed some stale invasion data preventing further invasions
  • Stopped dwarves from breeding like animals, technically speaking
  • Made diplomats search for civ-level land-holders properly
  • Fixed some path buffering problems that could screw up neighbor list etc.
  • Fixed a few problems with undead AI
  • Stopped sleeping/incapacitated dwarves from doing things
  • Fixed problem with squad leader assignment in military screen
  • Made sparring people use their weapons properly
  • Made unretired forts unhide fully, flowing from surface and all units

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Made masterpiece announcements wait for all item info to be decided before trying to print item name
  • Eliminated an OSX key conflict for text deletion
  • Made install colony jobs respect each other's targets
  • Made install colony jobs react to missing hive at gather destination
  • Added another adjustment to designation jobs to help them vs. paths that became bad
  • Required animal hauling labor for various jobs
  • Added new labors for hauling trade goods, pulling levers, removing constructions and hauling water
  • Attached trap cleaning to clean labor
  • Made laborless building construct/destroy jobs take furniture hauling
  • Allowed burrows to restrict workshop item search or not (default off)
  • Added assigned citizen number to burrow list
  • Stopped paralyzed injured dwarves from spamming rest cancellation messages
  • Stopped some CPU-intensive temperature wobble (ag)
  • Cleaned up the creature pressure plate interface
  • Made paved roads only need as much material as required by the road tiles (rather than the whole rectangle)
  • Made translated name appear properly at the top of the screen when viewing creature
  • Stopped dwarves from liking special items
  • Fixed a problem with unnamed historical figure statue/figurine item names and descriptions
  • Fixed color display problem in civ list
  • Gave not-you civs range of 30 path-wise for neighbor status on embark (towers still 10)
  • Allowed use of number in burrow names without moving cursor
  • SDL string question mark should no longer enter as a pipe, and pipe should be enterable
  • Respected question mark entry in several places

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Oh god I've been dicking around with human fortress. It's fun and surprisingly stable. I was being all thematic and digging out a quarry and OH GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING WAGONS I AM DIGGING THE-OH gently caress!

They aren't moving. They have caravan guards stuck underneath them, which I think is the problem, but I'm not sure. Should I maybe try killing the guards with cheating to get them going again?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Felime posted:

Oh god I've been dicking around with human fortress. It's fun and surprisingly stable. I was being all thematic and digging out a quarry and OH GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING WAGONS I AM DIGGING THE-OH gently caress!

They aren't moving. They have caravan guards stuck underneath them, which I think is the problem, but I'm not sure. Should I maybe try killing the guards with cheating to get them going again?

No idea but I can't play DF without Multi-Zlevel rendering anymore. so pretty.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Anyone check if evil biomes are any more feasible with pulping? Do or can War hammers or maces reliably finish off undead parts to make it less tedious? And is fortress mode playable yet?

Velius fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 10, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

scamtank posted:

:siren: New version! Point-oh-seven was a fairly major stop before some wild new features during the v34 arc. How about now?

Awww yeah gonna pick this up again finally when I get home tonight.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Velius posted:

Anyone check if evil biomes are any more feasible with pulping? Do or can War hammers or maces reliably finish off undead parts to make it less tedious? And is fortress mode playable yet?

Zombies still can and will punch you across the map (without modifying the .exe anyway), but you absolutely can put them down for good with enough hurt. They don't need to be explicitly bludgeoning weapons either, just hacking away at a dude's head long enough with a sword is enough to reduce it to side pork.

If "playable" includes DFHack, no. The most destructive corruption bugs have been rooted out already, now it's just the AI that's still kinda wonky.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't care about DFHack but I'm not thinking of fortress mode as playable until everyone stops weeping and vomiting the second a cat friend gets a scraped knee. (It's still like that, right?)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That should be easily fixed with [NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:1] added to what- and whoever you want to hold its lunch.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Toady One posted:

Made paved roads only need as much material as required by the road tiles (rather than the whole rectangle)
I think this might not work entirely as intended.

When I build constructions, e.g. a wall, I now only get asked for a single material. In this case, I picked "dolomite blocks" for building a section of wall.
One dwarf runs down, picks up a "blocks" (huh? blocks? that's what it said in his inventory, but no stack size or anything), then runs up and builds several tiles of wall in one go.
Inspecting the wall afterwards, a few tiles of it are built from dolomite blocks, but I also have some Unknown Material Wall, and even Unknown Frozen Creature Substance Wall tiles.

Edit: Wonderful. I can order barrels of Gremlin Tears from the dwarven trade liaison, in addition to the usual blood, venom, ichor etc.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 10, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is there an easy way to say something like "I want a flattish world with just a brook in it? I want to build like a 25x25 fort near a brook like that one tutorial video but I keep getting lots of hills in world-gen even though the altitude map says everything is the same height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Angela Christine posted:

Absolutely nothing, not demons, not dragons, nothing, can break a locked floor hatch from below.

This is incorrect, at least as of the 40.whatever updates. I had a Forgotten Beast bust into my fortress through floor hatches from below. It might be the case in 34.xx though.

GreyPowerVan posted:

No idea but I can't play DF without Multi-Zlevel rendering anymore. so pretty.

Wait, is THAT what's going on in that picture?

:stare:

I did not know this existed. Please, tell me what package or whatever this is a part of, so that I might bask in its glory.