Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Exactly what effects? There's that Vandal issue where you can tell sickest possible story at really low and keep the blood going...

But I also tend to keep it high, just in case I never frenzy. And Torries with the double gain/loss make it pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

Exactly what effects? There's that Vandal issue where you can tell sickest possible story at really low and keep the blood going...

But I also tend to keep it high, just in case I never frenzy. And Torries with the double gain/loss make it pretty easy.

your dialogue options change if you have low humanity or very high humanity. For example, the thinblood Lily you rescue from the blood bank, if you have low (iirc 5 or so) humanity your character will blackmail her for sucking the blood out of that nurse. You do not get the option not to. Also quite a few of your dialogue options change to be more bloodthristy and violent.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So nobody ever tells the thin-bloods anything? They're just left to screw up and nearly expose vampires and get killed for it?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glazius posted:

So nobody ever tells the thin-bloods anything? They're just left to screw up and nearly expose vampires and get killed for it?

Nobody ever tells anybody anything.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

No one cares. Without a sire around to teach them how to live in Kindred society, they're completely hosed. And even beyond that, they're weaker than the weakest freshly rolled-up PC. The best that they can hope for is to barely scrape by on the fringes until a stronger vampire gets annoyed or just feels like winning some sadistic brownie points with the Prince and kills them.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

They're not powerful enough to be useful, they still have all of the vampiric weaknesses which makes them a masquerade threat, and they freak out the Elders because of prophecies about the Time of Thin Blood which will usher in the end of the world. Accurate prophecies, as it turns out.

The biggest reason they move around so much is because a lot of the older vampires will kill them as a matter of principle if they're caught hanging around being all thin blooded. And a lot of younger vampires will kill them because it's an easy way to get the Elders in a good mood.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The more you guys talk about it, the more I can't think of anything worse to be in any iteration of this game's universe than a thinblood. At least if you're a regular person or Something Else, you can either defend yourself with whatever power suite you have, or blend into the background and hope simple probability protects you from being a night-time snack.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Go thin enough and those are about as much as irritations. It's something like 15th or so, where you barely qualify as a vampire anyway.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
At 15th, you can get knocked up or knock up a chick, resulting in a dhampir. Also, sunlight only does Lethal damage instead of Aggravated. But you're severely limited in how much vitae you have available to use for disciplines and ghouling. Only X-amount of BP can be spent on that out of the 10 (max) you have available. The rest is only for waking up at night.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

But seriously, yeah, being a Thin-Blood is the cosmic equivalent of a "kick me" sign.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Stroth posted:

They're not powerful enough to be useful, they still have all of the vampiric weaknesses which makes them a masquerade threat, and they freak out the Elders because of prophecies about the Time of Thin Blood which will usher in the end of the world. Accurate prophecies, as it turns out.

The biggest reason they move around so much is because a lot of the older vampires will kill them as a matter of principle if they're caught hanging around being all thin blooded. And a lot of younger vampires will kill them because it's an easy way to get the Elders in a good mood.

Why the "what are thin bloods and why are they showing up" freak out? None of the vampire kings in the dark ages threw a debauched embrace> embrace> embrace party/experiment?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shugojin posted:

But seriously, yeah, being a Thin-Blood is the cosmic equivalent of a "kick me" sign.

Until you start spontaneously generating your own Disciplines and seeing three moves ahead in the Jyhad.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Why the "what are thin bloods and why are they showing up" freak out? None of the vampire kings in the dark ages threw a debauched embrace> embrace> embrace party/experiment?

One of the signs of the end times, when the blood of caine turns as thin as that of a human.

There was a similar freak out in the Dark Ages when you ended up with 13th gen running about.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Actually, some Tzimisce did exactly that. I think they surprisingly kept the results around as servants of a sort, basically ghouls but slightly more self sufficient since they don't need periodic vitae donations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Revenants(?) are are just result of breeding ghouls for generations until the traits stick, as I recall. But generalizing Sabbat precursors and shovelheads, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled something like that.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

citybeatnik posted:

There was a similar freak out in the Dark Ages when you ended up with 13th gen running about.

The Dark Ages? Given how easy it is to Embrace someone, why does it take so freaking long for new generations to become widespread? You think they would have hit the cap in a couple centuries, not several millennia.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Well, there was a big cull in the Dark Ages or so when mortals caught on to the whole vampire thing, which led to the general "let's not call attention to ourselves" attitude becoming prevalent. That's how you end up with complicated rules regarding siring in the Camarilla.

Also, takes most vampires a while to find anybody they actually want to sire. Caine was a vampire for loving ever before he decided to sire the Second Generation.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Added Space posted:

The Dark Ages? Given how easy it is to Embrace someone, why does it take so freaking long for new generations to become widespread? You think they would have hit the cap in a couple centuries, not several millennia.

Vampires rarely if ever sire, really. Plus, as Loomer would point out, there is a HILARIOUS about of soul drinking going on.

Also, any attempts to sire someone who was 13th Gen up until that time failed outright, I believe. Coupled with folks not wanting to run the risk of starting the end times accidentally.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Hey guys! It's been a while, I've been a little busy, can anybody tell me a bit more about the Dark Age's in general, barring that, Can we get some info on Caine?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

JackNapier posted:

Hey guys! It's been a while, I've been a little busy, can anybody tell me a bit more about the Dark Age's in general, barring that, Can we get some info on Caine?

Well, the Dark Ages was pretty much the period just before the Inquisition and the Burning Times, in the Vampire timeline. So basically, you had a bit more freedom to act as the undead lord of all you surveyed. While you had to have a bit of secrecy, you could do okay with being a secretive noble who only appeared at night. As long as you gave fealty to the church you were probably good to go.

As far as Caine goes, what were you looking for specifically. Outside the Book of Nod and non-canon Gehenna scenarios, there's not all that much.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Vicissitude posted:

As far as Caine goes, what were you looking for specifically. Outside the Book of Nod and non-canon Gehenna scenarios, there's not all that much.
Um, I've heard it mentioned a few times, so let's go with the Book of Nod

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

JackNapier posted:

Um, I've heard it mentioned a few times, so let's go with the Book of Nod

Alright, simple enough.

First off, The Book of Nod paints Caine's murder of Abel as a sacrifice. God told them to offer up that which was most precious to them. Abel offered a sacrifice (of blood, for the record) of his best animals. Caine's gift of crops was rejected, and so he instead offered the life of his only beloved brother. For this, it's Adam, not God, who casts him out to go east into the land of Nod. There, he gets visited by the archangels who offer him the opportunity to seek God's forgiveness and return to Eden. Each time he refuses them, he is cursed with what become the key traits of vampires. Fear of fire and sun, a thirst for blood, and his progeny would always be at each other's throats (literally sometimes). The fourth archangel comes and tells him about Golconda, a way to overcome his new nature.

In Nod, he comes upon Adam's first wife Lilith, who had learned powerful magic from her dealings with demons after being cast out herself. She taught him the first of the vampiric Disciplines. He leaves Lilith and becomes enamored with a mortal. Caine tries to woo her, but he can't. One night, he comes upon a withered old crone who gives him more insight into his nature, including teaching him how to Embrace a childe. She tricks him into being blood bound to her and makes him Embrace her, too. Caine slips from the blood bond after a year and a day, staking the Crone and leaving her for the sun but her fate is not certain (she may have actually been Baba Yaga, a supposed Nosferatu methuselah). During this time, Caine sired three other childer, who sired a total of 13 others. They all formed the city of Enoch, a vampire paradise.

Remember that curse about Caine's progeny being at each other's throats? Yeah, that didn't really help their cause in Enoch. They basically turned the place into a shitstorm and Caine had to step in and lay down the law after his own childer had been killed and ate. Caine cursed each of the bloodlines with something that befit their crime. He dropped the mic, said "I'm out!", and pretty much disappeared from history.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Vicissitude posted:

In Nod, he comes upon Adam's first wife Lilith, who had learned powerful magic from her dealings with demons after being cast out herself.

Ok, from what I've heard and read about the two of them, Caine and Lilith kind of have this hate/hate relationship? Also, Baba Yaga is another Vampire I'm interested in, I've seen some poo poo with her and Russia?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

It's more of an indifference/hate relationship. After all that Lilith did for Caine, he left her. Basically, she's once again the spurned lover. And since Adam and God are out of her reach, she focuses mostly on Caine.

Baba Yaga was a VERY powerful sorceress. Hideous to behold, she was thought to be a 4th generation Nosferatu who had learned Blood Sorcery at some point. However, there's also speculation that she was the Crone of myth. In any event, she was crazy powerful in ways that nobody had seen before. She put up the Iron Curtain, a magical barrier that kept most supernatural creatures the gently caress out of Russia. It wasn't until her death that the barrier came down and the power vacuum made the country a viable target for the Jyhad.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Russian folklore is full of supernatural creatures, so she must not have done a very good job :colbert: Also I thought if they made anyone a vampire, they'd pick Koschei the Deathless.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ensign Expendable posted:

Russian folklore is full of supernatural creatures, so she must not have done a very good job :colbert: Also I thought if they made anyone a vampire, they'd pick Koschei the Deathless.
The Iron Curtain didn't keep Russia free of supernatural creatures. It kept any Russian supernatural creatures in and non-Russian creatures out.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Exactly. Baba Yaga kept poo poo inside the barrier in line, while stuff outside couldn't get in and she didn't have to bother. But then she died and welp :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Then what? I want to know how WoD handles Russian folklore.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

That I don't know. All I know is that Russia became a hotbed of activity as all sorts of factions began to rush in for the valuable real estate.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Knowing White Wolf, after the fall of the Iron Curtain, it's probably "They're like werewolves and vampires, but wearing tracksuits instead of capes and wielding wildly overpriced abilities."

What's up with Adam? Is he anything more than just "Cain's dad, Lilith's ex (and progenitor?)"?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

According to Demon: the Fallen, Adam and Eve were whisked away to a small farm where they lived along under the protection of God. They were hidden from all the rebel angels until they eventually died and went to heaven.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rockopolis posted:

Knowing White Wolf, after the fall of the Iron Curtain, it's probably "They're like werewolves and vampires, but wearing tracksuits instead of capes and wielding wildly overpriced abilities."

Nah, most of the vampires in Russia were a group of Brujah who'd been running things since they kicked out the Ventrue during the Red Revolution. They kept control with an iron hand until Baba Yaga awoke fully in 1990. Then she enacted the Shadow Curtain and ate (literally ate) almost every vampire in Russia. She was an awesomely powerful 4th generation vampire who was eight feet tall and possessed iron teeth and claws, a literal monster out of legend.

She was killed in 2000 when the Nosferatu Antediluvian sent another of his children to wipe out any Nosferatu who weren't under his direct control.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

She was killed in 2000 when the Nosferatu Antediluvian sent another of his children to wipe out any Nosferatu who weren't under his direct control.

The Niktuku. After Caine's curse turned the Nosferatu bloodline hideous, Absimiliard went into hiding. The clan we know today, even the antitribu, are all descended from the brood that remained active in the world. But the going theory is that Absimiliard sired a new brood. All 4th generation, all totally loyal to him by blood bond or other methods, and they act as his enforcers in the world. Whenever one of his clan gets too powerful and uppity, they come in and put a stop to it.

Or maybe they're just slowly taking out the most powerful Nosferatu in the world so they can just sweep the board when the time is right and start fresh. Absimiliard actually withdrew from the entire world. With Obfuscate 10, he effectively did not exist at all. He hid underneath Antarctica in the belly of a giant ghoul creature (probably some kind of giant lizard) and slept in torpor. He used Animalism to travel outside his own body, possibly Auspex as well, to give orders to his Niktuku. One theory is that he's just wiping out the clan to try and make amends to Caine for their crimes in Enoch, another is that he's playing the Jyhad more masterfully than any other living vampire ever has.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
From what I remember of Nicktuku, it was almost directly based more on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuckelavee Nuckelavee the skinless.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Don't the Malkavian's have something similar to The Niktuku? Umm The Ankou, I think it's called?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JackNapier posted:

Don't the Malkavian's have something similar to The Niktuku? Umm The Ankou, I think it's called?

The Ankou is a fifth generation Malkavian who hunts the other members of his clan for inadequately explained reasons. Or he's just a boogeyman made up to scare Malkavian neonates. Or possibly he's both. The line tends to blur when you deal with Malkavians.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
My pet theory with the Ankou is that yes, he was a boogeyman made up to gently caress with neonates and to use as a talking point. But this is clan Malkavian, so I'm betting that now there are hundreds of "The Ankou" who in reality are just powerful Malkavians who's insanity led them to believe that's what they are.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Vagon posted:

My pet theory with the Ankou is that yes, he was a boogeyman made up to gently caress with neonates and to use as a talking point. But this is clan Malkavian, so I'm betting that now there are hundreds of "The Ankou" who in reality are just powerful Malkavians who's insanity led them to believe that's what they are.

It would make sense, as much as anything does with the Malkavian's, all I've ever heard of Ankou is that when he show's up, the Malk's usually leave that area, which leads me to my next question, who are some big power players in the Malkavian's?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JackNapier posted:

It would make sense, as much as anything does with the Malkavian's, all I've ever heard of Ankou is that when he show's up, the Malk's usually leave that area, which leads me to my next question, who are some big power players in the Malkavian's?
Lets see, who's interesting...

Well, there's Crazy Jane. She shows up sometimes after an embrace if the sire didn't bother to explain anything. Or if the sire was to crazy to explain anything. She helps you understand what's happening to you and stays with you until you start to get a handle on the madness. They only thing is, she was brought to her final death back in the 17th century. And she's still showing up.

The Plague Bride, she tended Malkav when his madness was to much for his body to bear. She's a fourth generation, a Florence Nightingale type. Or so she'd prefer to think. As the name suggests, she's more the Typhoid Mary type. Except that disease she caries is pure unadulterated madness, acquired from Malkav himself. And she thinks that the best thing for your health would be to share it with you.

There's Anatole., he's basically the ur-example of the mad Malkavian prophet. Any time someone starts talking about prophecies of Gehenna? They're usually talking about something he said.

There's the Eater, he's fun. A very long time ago a Malkavian realized a great truth: Blood is power. Therefore, I eat power. There are other things that are power as well. Therefore, I can eat those. And so he resolved to eat something else. Eventually, he decided to eat names, for names are power over what they name. And the first name he ate was his own. However, a name is what makes a thing exist. So he stopped existing. But that hasn't stopped him from eating. So be careful, lest it's your name next.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 11, 2014

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Stroth posted:

Well, there's Crazy Jane. She shows up sometimes after an embrace if the sire didn't bother to explain anything. Or if the sire was to crazy to explain anything. She helps you understand what's happening to you and stays with you until you start to get a handle on the madness. They only thing is, she was brought to her final death back in the 17th century. And she's still showing up.
So, she's just so crazy she's completely ignoring the fact that she should be dead? Or is this one of those White Wolf Logical Anomalies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Stroth posted:

There's Anatole., he's basically the ur-example of the mad Malkavian prophet. Any time someone starts talking about prophecies of Gehenna? They're usually talking about something he said.

Aw, Anatole :(

• Locked thread