Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Bloodnose posted:

The tallest building in Kowloon is The International Commerce Center. It has 118 floors and tops out at about 1600 feet.

It's also home to some of the tallest residential buildings in the world and has the highest skyscraper density in the world.

Pictured: Kowloon being more like 10 dozen stories high.

Wow, it's like a real life version of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm cackling and falling out of my seat here, I never noticed that before. The hilarious thing is that that cluster of buildings was built as part of a complex called the West Kowloon Cultural District that has basically turned into Norman Foster & Partners Draining Billions of Taxpayer Dollars for No Reason. They've had to request like three times the initial estimate from the government since the project began and yeah at a certain angle they're giving the finger to Central. Hilarious.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Muscle Tracer posted:

Space: where Earth, renowned for never having had an ice age even once, is located.

Earth: renowned for the ease with which its climate can be controlled, unlike man-made structures.

Run away temperatures on space stations because the heat shield came off a little bit has never happened in the hundreds of space stations we've built. :v

Man, we wouldn't even be here without the ice ages, we flourished in that clime.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Run away temperatures on space stations because the heat shield came off a little bit has never happened in the hundreds of space stations we've built. :v

Man, we wouldn't even be here without the ice ages, we flourished in that clime.

Yeah I remember building like 40000 snow men :kiddo:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What is it?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The migrations of well known people during their lives, video included.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/an-infographic-that-maps-2600-years-of-cultural-history-in-5-minutes/

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

kalstrams posted:

What is it?

It was an e-mail forward that went around a lot right after 9/11 saying that we should rebuild the WTC to look like a big middle finger.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CellBlock posted:

It was an e-mail forward that went around a lot right after 9/11 saying that we should rebuild the WTC to look like a big middle finger.
Huh.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

2002-2003 were some very odd times. We weren't at our best.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This looks like a sprinkler system.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

CellBlock posted:

Also note the Flak batteries on top of the buildings, a nice touch in my opinion.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Guess the commodity!

Consumers:

Producers:

(This commodity is produced from two plants: yellow is where one of them is grown, dark green is the other, light green is both.)

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Coffee.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
Chocolate?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mikl posted:

Guess the commodity!

Consumers:

Producers:

(This commodity is produced from two plants: yellow is where one of them is grown, dark green is the other, light green is both.)

Mocha

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's got to be coffee. I know for a fact (from having been there) that Vietnam grows a lot of coffee, but not chocolate. Those West African countries grow lots of chocolate, but coffee as well. By inclusion, therefore, it's got to be coffee.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Mikl posted:

Guess the commodity!

Consumers:

Producers:

Ebola

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

DrSunshine posted:

It's got to be coffee. I know for a fact (from having been there) that Vietnam grows a lot of coffee, but not chocolate. Those West African countries grow lots of chocolate, but coffee as well. By inclusion, therefore, it's got to be coffee.

Definitely coffee then, and yellow is arabica and dark green is robusta.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

It is coffee, but the consumption map clearly excludes several countries in the 1-2 kg/person range (e.g. Mexico).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Knew it was coffee from the consumer map :smuggo: (Scandinavia drinks a metric fuckton of coffee, which makes sense since it's black half the year there.)

Does it irrationally piss off anyone else that Hawaii is absent from many of these maps?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Albino Squirrel posted:

Knew it was coffee from the consumer map :smuggo: (Scandinavia drinks a metric fuckton of coffee, which makes sense since it's black half the year there.)

Does it irrationally piss off anyone else that Hawaii is absent from many of these maps?

Hawaii's at least in the consumption map, it's just very tiny.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Definitely coffee then, and yellow is arabica and dark green is robusta.

100% correct, congrats! :)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Truly the epidemic has reached apocalyptic propotions here in Finland.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Albino Squirrel posted:

Half the time the Great Lakes are completely filled in, then if you actually have to talk about or present a map like that, most people assume the Hudson Bay is now the Great Lakes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Half the time the Great Lakes are completely filled in, then if you actually have to talk about or present a map like that, most people assume the Hudson Bay is now the Great Lakes.

If the Lakes are filled in and Hawaii is missing, can we just assume they filled the Lakes with Hawaii?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

If the Lakes are filled in and Hawaii is missing, can we just assume they filled the Lakes with Hawaii?

Hawaii's land area would barely cover 10% of the Great Lakes.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Soviet Commubot posted:

Hawaii's land area would barely cover 10% of the Great Lakes.

The mountain Hawaii sits on could probably fill a few holes though.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Interesting Kashmir solution there.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Why do they have "Data not available" and "Not applicable" both be grey, and then make "Wine" a darker grey?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Because the author didn't give a poo poo about the color-blind.

Or not misleading people with the legend. Wine is brown on that map. Beer is purple. :what:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah if you think wine is grey you might want to have your eyes checked :smith:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Poizen Jam posted:

Yeah if you think wine is grey you might want to have your eyes checked :smith:
I dunno, my screen/browser renders it as kind of an olive-grey.

Unless you mean actual wine, in which case yes, it should definitely not be grey.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Albino Squirrel posted:

I dunno, my screen/browser renders it as kind of an olive-grey.

Unless you mean actual wine, in which case yes, it should definitely not be grey.

Wine is brown in the legend.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It looks like a kind of dark greenish-brown to me, though pretty unsaturated. I guess "olive" is the word for it. I could see how it might look gray on certain monitors.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Wine is brown in the legend.

It only appears brown on my screen if I tilt it at an odd angle. Regardless, terrible color choice as people typically associate purple with wine and brown with beer.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
It's #7E725A, which clearly brown, plebs.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

AKP are the Republicans of Turkey. Coastal Turkey is chill (except the Black Sea part).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kurds.png