Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
well, relative to VASSAL, which is probably the worst piece of usability I've seen in a long while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Asymmetrikon posted:

well, relative to VASSAL, which is probably the worst piece of usability I've seen in a long while

depends on the module

the fire in the lake module is really good btw and tabletop simulator can't replicate its features

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

no, I mean, the stuff outside the modules is just loving garbage (UI-wise). The best option would be for someone to make a VASSAL but not poo poo, really.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

cool. who wants to play this this weekend

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConorT posted:

I probably will

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Asymmetrikon posted:

no, I mean, the stuff outside the modules is just loving garbage (UI-wise). The best option would be for someone to make a VASSAL but not poo poo, really.

clicking load module is too hard ugh

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

VASSAL isnt a wonderful piece of software by any measure but it's definitely better than tabletop simulator for stuff like this

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Panzeh posted:

clicking load module is too hard ugh

i'm glad you don't work in UX

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
mapgames

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Scyther posted:

VASSAL isnt a wonderful piece of software by any measure but it's definitely better than tabletop simulator for stuff like this

yeah this is true

vassal, much like pimping, ain't easy but it's necessary

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

UberJew posted:

you're hosed, just buy fire in the lake (like right now, before it comes out and immediately goes out of stock everywhere)

fields of fire hit p500 for a reprint in 2012 and isn't going to be out until next year at the earliest

cuba libre hasn't even hit p500 yet

:( but i'm never gonna get people to play a full game of fire lake, while cuba libre is shorter/easier. time to suck dicks behind the game preserve for 100bux or just convince people to play vassal in person i guess

ConorT posted:

don't have a ton of experience with coin (see above) but i'd prob play on sunday afternoon

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

StashAugustine posted:

:( but i'm never gonna get people to play a full game of fire lake, while cuba libre is shorter/easier. time to suck dicks behind the game preserve for 100bux or just convince people to play vassal in person i guess

don't have a ton of experience with coin (see above) but i'd prob play on sunday afternoon
the short scenario in Fire in the Lake is even shorter than the short scenario in Cuba Libre

the full scenario is just as long as the extended scenario in ADP

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
How can posts be so terrible in the bad thread? How many variations of the bad "FFG GOAN TAKE ALL MY MONE :saddowns:" joke do we need?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fellis posted:

How can posts be so terrible in the bad thread? How many variations of the bad "FFG GOAN TAKE ALL MY MONE :saddowns:" joke do we need?

Are you familiar with the Arthur C. Clarke short story "The Nine Billion Names of God"?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Fellis posted:

it looks pretty much like "x-wing but zoomed out", and i guess x-wing is pretty popular or something? idk.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Effectronica posted:

Are you familiar with the Arthur C. Clarke short story "The Nine Billion Names of God"?

I am now, very apt

Scyther posted:

it looks pretty much like "x-wing but zoomed out", and i guess x-wing is pretty popular or something? idk.

Its pretty much battlefleet gothic scale, which from what I understand was another one of the GW properties that was good but didn't pull in the bux and was dropped

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

FFG is pretty much a minis/CCG/RPG company now. The new xcom game is probably a cynical experiment to see if that license can carry a poo poo product before they greenlight a lovely xcom minis game, mark my words.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

so bgg is still designed like poo poo intentionally right? They could have upgraded but there was backlash from the community because nerds are the worst people?

I've heard people defend the layout and other stuff and lmao "you get used to it after awhile" is an argument that can be applied to venereal disease also!!!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
nerds like bad games and get very uncomfortable around good ones.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
i saw a thread today titled 'Hanabi - A great game, but is it fun?' on BGG

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

i saw a thread today titled 'Hanabi - A great game, but is it fun?' on BGG

uh this is actually kind of true, hanabi is well-designed mechanically but has a lot of mechanics that restrict players in psychologically negative ways

i know that you're trying to make a joke here but the real joke is that "fun" can be identified as a series of positive psychological responses; it's just that 99% of activities provoke them

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
i actually cringed when i listened to angercast #2 when i described mage knight as "incredibly well-made but not fun" as if the audience was supposed to understand what i meant by that last word

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Broken Loose posted:

uh this is actually kind of true, hanabi is well-designed mechanically but has a lot of mechanics that restrict players in psychologically negative ways

i know that you're trying to make a joke here but the real joke is that "fun" can be identified as a series of positive psychological responses; it's just that 99% of activities provoke them

Good response, but was it fun?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

the real joke is that "fun" can be identified as a series of positive psychological responses; it's just that 99% of activities provoke them

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Good response, but was it fun?

I just had a flashback to those "will it blend?!" Videos from 2007 We spent 14 hours playing twilight imperium...but was it fun???

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Someone photoshop king phil on blendco guy grinding up cards against humanity with the subtitles "this game is garbage, but will it fun?"

Tia

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

For instance?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Servoret posted:

For instance?

"I can't do anything useful on my turn, giving you a hint is a waste, so I guess I'll discard and pray and oh god it was the other yellow four we're hosed"

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
That's actually cool

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Is it fascism yet posted:

That's actually cool

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

silvergoose posted:

"I can't do anything useful on my turn, giving you a hint is a waste, so I guess I'll discard and pray and oh god it was the other yellow four we're hosed"

I don't know if I would call that a psychologically traumatizing experience. I also don't really see that situation that much as far as not having anything useful to do; the problem I see more often is the wrong people having to discard, like "I really need to give you a hint, but I can't, so instead you're going to waste the hint I just gave you on something really dumb instead of playing the yellow four".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, I find it cool, but it's certainly stressful and can make some people react in negative ways, I was just providing an example.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

It's mostly restrictive in the way you're allowed to communicate with people throughout the game, you're really discouraged from talking very much otherwise you might accidentally cheat or forget some critical information.

But again, that's kinda cool.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
um, i play boardgames for fun why would such a game even exist? i guess some people love being toxic and ruining the hobby with their bad games

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
wow only goons could insert the word "psychologically traumatizing" into what i said

basically hanabi discourages creativity and socializing while encouraging frustrating random situations where you have to gamble on whether or not you gently caress the group over

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

it's mechanically interesting but in practice it seems like it usually turns out at best ho-hum and at worst really frustrating

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Scyther posted:

it's mechanically interesting but in practice it seems like it usually turns out at best ho-hum and at worst really frustrating
There's not much variation across each game, which will kill it for me pretty soon. But it was also ten bucks, so who cares.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i think hanabi is really good card game to play while chilling, drinking and hanging out with friends

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bobby The Rookie posted:

There's not much variation across each game, which will kill it for me pretty soon. But it was also ten bucks, so who cares.

yeah this is pretty much me on hanabi. it's a quick game that's easy to teach, pretty good, and i got it for like ten bucks. it's only seen play three or four times but i feel like i got my money's worth

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th22kn-wsxg&t=19m0s :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

"..and the mechanics, yes they are there, but they are secondary to the fun"

• Locked thread