Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Well gently caress, my Kindle touch just decided to not turn on with the power button, instead flashing the green light on then off. Now it's in a boot loop. Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a very simple, bare basic eReader out there with a decent battery? I honestly just need it to hold me over until September or whenever Amazon announces a new Paperwhite. I don't want to spend $50 on one since that's pretty much half the price of the Paperwhite I'd end up buying. Am I being cheap? Probably. But honestly, I just need something for a month or so.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a very simple, bare basic eReader out there with a decent battery? I honestly just need it to hold me over until September or whenever Amazon announces a new Paperwhite. I don't want to spend $50 on one since that's pretty much half the price of the Paperwhite I'd end up buying. Am I being cheap? Probably. But honestly, I just need something for a month or so.

A used plain Kindle.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A used plain Kindle goes for about $50 without everything else.

What I'm looking for is the "my grandma's fliphone" of ereaders. Not a replacement smartphone or an 80s cellphone.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

noirstronaut posted:

What I'm looking for is the "my grandma's fliphone" of ereaders. Not a replacement smartphone or an 80s cellphone.

Paperbacks from the library. $0

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Seriously, go to the library, haha. This generation of e-readers are the cheapest they've ever been, so a refurb is really the lowest you can go, unless you manage to snag one of the old Kobos that Borders heavily discounted when they were closing up shop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

noirstronaut posted:

None exist, ever since that company that promised super cheap e ink readers turned out to require it to be paired with a bluetooth phone to send over images it would display as the book. Try searching on craigslist or ebay for used current low end kindles as well as used older model kindles.

You can get this one for $41 shipped right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/kindle-d00701-/321487744405?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item4ada29ad95

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
What about a Kobo Touch or Nook Simple Touch?

Both are decent and maybe ebay has them cheap.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

noirstronaut posted:

Why not just cope with a reading app on your phone (or tablet if you have one)? Not eink, but should tide you over and if you're invested in the Amazon ecosystem it'll keep you synced for your eventual Kindle purchase.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

What about a Kobo Touch or Nook Simple Touch?

Both are decent and maybe ebay has them cheap.

He's planning to buy a new Kindle in the near future, so getting a Kindle now would be easier - and the prices are about the same.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

He's planning to buy a new Kindle in the near future, so getting a Kindle now would be easier - and the prices are about the same.

Yeah, I don't get the problem. Buy a used Kindle for $50ish, sell it on eBay for slightly less when he buys a new one in a couple months. It'll be cheaper than buying a crappier ereader.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, I don't get the problem. Buy a used Kindle for $50ish, sell it on eBay for slightly less when he buys a new one in a couple months. It'll be cheaper than buying a crappier ereader.
Or read Lord of the rings from the library. That'll tide him over until the new kindle comes out. Or the complete malazan book of the fallen. That'll tide him over until the next new kindle comes out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

Or read Lord of the rings from the library. That'll tide him over until the new kindle comes out. Or the complete malazan book of the fallen. That'll tide him over until the next new kindle comes out.

Eww, paper books? No point in stooping so low when he can "rent" a Kindle from eBay for maybe $10-15, after depreciation and seller fees.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Surprisingly, I just bought the books I was going to read. Thanks for the recommendations, though~

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Barnes & Noble teases their new Samsung Nook tablet,includes reactions by people who didn't get to read on it + a cat meme.

This message brought to you by Barnes & Noble: Someone's Gotta Buy It, Right?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cat meme probably has the most accurate reaction.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently amazon doubled the storage of the paperwhite to 4gb without telling anyone.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/15/amazon-doubles-paperwhite-storage/?ncid=rss_truncated

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, loving hell.

I was all set to try and find a new Kobo Aura HD (which apparently is really hard to do now), and the main reason was the storage space plus the screen (the micro sd card didn't hurt), and now Amazon has to offer me an upgrade on the space anyway.

DAMMIT. Anyone wanna buy a slightly used paperwhite?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
August-ish is the yearly refresh for the kindle line, right? So maybe the 2 - 4GB is the yearly bone they're throwing out.

No hope for my paperwhite with side buttons. :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Civil posted:

August-ish is the yearly refresh for the kindle line, right? So maybe the 2 - 4GB is the yearly bone they're throwing out.

Statement from Amazon is that it's "not a new model, just updated storage" and a 4gb Kindle Paperwhite has apparently be available in Japan for quite some time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Maybe the 4GB didn't sell well enough in Japan alone so they're trying to offload remaining stock (before the next) by expanding to all markets.

Also is that Galaxy Tab Nook just a Tab with Nook's OS? Like, nothing apart form that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

noirstronaut posted:

Maybe the 4GB didn't sell well enough in Japan alone so they're trying to offload remaining stock (before the next) by expanding to all markets.

Either that or 4gb is going to be standard for the next model so they already updated their supply chain for the parts ahead of the new model.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Civil posted:

That's the one thing I want to happen so I can upgrade from my Kindle 3.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Huh, loving hell.

I was all set to try and find a new Kobo Aura HD (which apparently is really hard to do now), and the main reason was the storage space plus the screen (the micro sd card didn't hurt), and now Amazon has to offer me an upgrade on the space anyway.

If you want a better screen than the Paperwhite, look at the Onyx Boox T68. It's the best DPI ereader that I know of.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you want a better screen than the Paperwhite, look at the Onyx Boox T68. It's the best DPI ereader that I know of.

Kobo Aura HD has about the same DPI I believe.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hope and vaseline posted:

Kobo Aura HD has about the same DPI I believe.

I meant in lieu of the Aura HD, which is apparently difficult to find.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Huh, loving hell.

The Kobo Aura HD was supposed to be a limited-time product according to Kobo, which is why they're ahrd to find new now. i don't think they've been manufactured in months.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any newer e-ink devices that don't require accounts with a particular service to activate or use? I've had a good run out of my original Kobo Reader, but the poor thing is starting to show it's age.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Considering getting a Kobo Aura HD again (assuming I can find one for sale). Does it come with a case? How does a case work with it, considering it has a wonky back that's meant to be more comfortable for gripping (read: wonky ridges)? Is a case recommended? If not, is the screen going to get scratched easily?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xik posted:

Are there any newer e-ink devices that don't require accounts with a particular service to activate or use?

All Kindles.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

All Kindles.

Yeah, I was just gonna chime in and say this. I do all my management via Calibre instead of Amazon. My Kindle's always in aeroplane mode (i.e. no WiFi), so I don't really need to charge it that much.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Melraidin posted:

Considering getting a Kobo Aura HD again (assuming I can find one for sale). Does it come with a case? How does a case work with it, considering it has a wonky back that's meant to be more comfortable for gripping (read: wonky ridges)? Is a case recommended? If not, is the screen going to get scratched easily?

The Aura HD seems to be pretty much the same as the 6" Kobo Aura but bigger, so yes, a case/cover is recommended but you can get cheap ones on eBay. No case is included with the reader.

I have the non-HD Aura version of this one and it is awesome: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201010661068
(BTW, the blue-colored thing you see on the edge there is actually silver-colored; some of those photos are taken with the removable blue protective film still on.)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Melraidin posted:

Depends on if you like cases - a friend and I both have the Aura HD. She prefers how the device feels so she keeps it in a sleeve when not in use. I prefer not to keep it in a sleeve, so I got a coverup case. Same company sells screen protectors.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Nintendo Kid posted:

All Kindles.

Odette posted:

Yeah, I was just gonna chime in and say this. I do all my management via Calibre instead of Amazon. My Kindle's always in aeroplane mode (i.e. no WiFi), so I don't really need to charge it that much.

I didn't know this.

Suppose I did add a Amazon account and purchased from the Amazon store, can you buy books from Amazon and load up DRM-Free mobi's from other sources via Calibre without it messing with whatever DRM Amazon uses?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xik posted:

I didn't know this.

Suppose I did add a Amazon account and purchased from the Amazon store, can you buy books from Amazon and load up DRM-Free mobi's from other sources via Calibre without it messing with whatever DRM Amazon uses?

Yes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can shove whatever on it via USB and if it can read it, it will.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xik posted:

I didn't know this.

Absolutely. If they're already mobi or one of the formats Amazon will convert, you can even email them to your kindle and have them in Amazon's cloud storage.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So I'm looking at replacing the wife's 4'ish year old Sony e-reader for her birthday later this month.

I'm debating between the Kindle and a Kobo. I know we can move her old books over onto the Kobo without an issue, since Sony switched all of their E-Readers onto Kobo's store. Going to Kindle seems like we'll need to dink around with removing DRM first, which I'm okay with but if I can avoid it, all the better.

Is there any compelling reason to grab a Kindle Paperwhite vs. a Kobo Aura? She reads a ton, and if there's another option to consider, I'm not too worried about price.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's actually incredibly easy to remove DRM.

The kobo aura HD seems to be the "go to" reader for epubs and a lot of other formats, and while it has 4 gigs of space it also has a micro sd card slot. For someone with a lot of books, that's pretty awesome.

The kindle is awesome because the newer ones also have 4 gigs of space (no card slot though :() but I love the fact I can just pick a book from calibre and have it wirelessly delivered via email instead of having to side load everything via USB. Amazon's got a pretty great storefront as well, even on the reader.

What I need is a reader that combines the kindle's email ability and cloud storage, the Kobo's micro sd card slot, and the Sony's catalog/collection ability. That would be my perfect reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The 6" Kobo Aura (not HD) is equivalent to the Paperwhite, both size-wise and price-wise and has a more advanced E-Ink display with a lot less ghosting than at least the 1st-Gen Paperwhite; I have nothing but good things to say about the device. Since Siochain's wife already has books in the Kobo store, the transition will be seamless, you just log in and get synced. The HD model is a great choice if you want a bigger screen, though.

That said, converting files and stripping DRM with Calibre is completely effortless, so I'm sure switching to a Kindle wouldn't be a problem either.