Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

There's a human kid in the strip for some reason now, so I'm willing to bet he'll do an omnivore story soon. Knowing his track record, it'll be a bisexuality metaphor.

There was already an omnivore thing with the bear, kind of. Apparently he was vegetarian and then started eating meat.

Bonus I found while looking for that strip:

What a hosed up society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I was going to edit the answer to have Bob actually be the killer, but you know, I like this better.

Defense has the letter evidence thrown out on so many legal reasons I'm sure and Viv writes her own best selling mystery novel about the murder she was suspected in and retires in luxury.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, the more I see of Kevin and Kell, the more I think Holbrook should seek help.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I think we should just take him to the zoo and feed him to something bigger than he is. I'm sure he'd approve.

Pickles has forgotten as many as ten impossible things before breakfast!

Bleeker implies Skip doesn't always smell like that.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Serves them right for using AOL dialup to get their mail.

Judge Parker

How convenient! A fresh crop of sweatshop workers for the new clothes factory.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

The actor playing Romeo must have just seen an early copy of the play's reviews.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoubleDonut posted:

Man, the more I see of Kevin and Kell, the more I think Holbrook should seek help.

I think a lot of K&K's weirdness come from Holbrook not thinking about what he's writing beyond the surface level (or a really shallow metaphor like "diet = race/sexuality/whatever"); he doesn't look at how things like children playing with entrails or the kid eating the piss-bush are really hosed up, he just writes whatever comes to mind.

Personally, I'm more disturbed by the themes of domination and powerlessness that are present in all three of his comics. It doesn't even fit in On the Fastrack, since it lacks the superscience of SH and the everything of K&K, but he manages to shoehorn it in anyway with the computer bug stuff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

A professional skier "would never make such a mistake" but a professional writer naturally would. Further proof of Inspector Danger's antiintellectualist bias.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic

Tunicate posted:

Wizards! No sense of right and wrong.

I know this is an old post, but this recently came up in a D&D game, and we established that, in fact, wizards have an extremely detailed sense of right and wrong. In fact, they have a book listing all the things which are known to be right, and every level they add at least two more things to that book.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Foxtrot

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

I was going to edit the answer to have Bob actually be the killer, but you know, I like this better.

And here I thought it was going to be something convoluted like the woman with a bobbed hairstyle. Inspector Danger does weird things to my sense of deductive reasoning.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A professional skier "would never make such a mistake" but a professional writer naturally would. Further proof of Inspector Danger's antiintellectualist bias.

A man who was allegedly just angry would not likely grab the wrong skis, but a man that was shot to death might reasonably be expected to make a typo.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

cobalt impurity posted:

A man who was allegedly just angry would not likely grab the wrong skis, but a man that was shot to death might reasonably be expected to make a typo.

Perhaps, but the ski murder occurred at midnight and the solution said that the murderers didn't realize that they had grabbed mismatched skis specifically due to the darkness - a fact that would actually make the murderers' cover story of "oh dear, how could this have happened? He was a professional," all the more plausible.

Wanamingo posted:

Can't have it both ways, Inspector. <:mad:>

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 10, 2014

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Gilchrist's finger is so far off the pulse of pop culture that I guess he assumes it just stopped.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cobalt impurity posted:

You're getting dangerously close to highlighting a more general problem with these "[profession] gives clue using [tools of trade] in his death throes" setups.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The guy actually skied away. He'd probably notice the mismatch right away and fix it. Mr writer didn't exactly have time to proofread.

Oh no, my children are having fun playing with the things I allowed them to have!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Trent posted:

The guy actually skied away. He'd probably notice the mismatch right away and fix it. Mr writer didn't exactly have time to proofread.

I can imagine the argument went like:

"Yeah? Well, gently caress you!" *Slams door*
"Aw man: grabbed the wrong skis. But I can't go back in there." :sigh: "Oh well, I'll just roll with it. Hopefully I won't fall off a cliff or something."

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Roland Jones posted:

I think a lot of K&K's weirdness come from Holbrook not thinking about what he's writing beyond the surface level (or a really shallow metaphor like "diet = race/sexuality/whatever"); he doesn't look at how things like children playing with entrails or the kid eating the piss-bush are really hosed up, he just writes whatever comes to mind.

Personally, I'm more disturbed by the themes of domination and powerlessness that are present in all three of his comics. It doesn't even fit in On the Fastrack, since it lacks the superscience of SH and the everything of K&K, but he manages to shoehorn it in anyway with the computer bug stuff.

Eh, its weird. But animals eat gross poo poo all the time without giving a gently caress.
Can't really say it bothers me too much. Aside from not being funny.

You guys are looking too deep into this stuff. It's just a cartoon where everyone's happy and cannibal murder is legal and completely cool.
Unless they try that poo poo on the good guys, then they're savage monsters who are usually naked despite everyone else is wearing clothes.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

That was sort of cute, I guess, Wiley. Trolling Danae is Kate's favorite pastime I think.

Heavenly Nostrils

Sue needs some medication.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/10/2003

BrookeMaw™

Zits

I'm afraid to imagine what his name would've been if they were at a Zappa concert from that time.

No tendon slashing today?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

I'm afraid to imagine what his name would've been if they were at a Zappa concert from that time.

For reals, the creators named Jeremy after "Chad & Jeremy". He has an older brother that we rarely see in the strip. His name is...Chad.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 10, 2014

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (August 13, 1967)

The Continuing Misadventures of the Immaculately Pure Artist (otherwise known as Writer Guy)

It might be different for different directors, but don't they usually discourage actors from asking those types of questions of the writers? I seem to remember a story about Michael J. Fox doing this for one of his movies and it was a pretty covert meeting.

Anyway, it's absolutely lovely how he's winning over his crusty assistant with empty platitudes directed at other people.

Classic Popeye Sunday, in which spinach's favorite son begins doubting his virility. (c. 1942)

Pogo (August 3, 1969)

First-Gen Blondie (c. October 1942-ish)

Out Our Way (June 12-13, 1925)

See? Told you they weren't dead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't get this one. :confused:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

how do you know about my crush on Jeremy Hardy

The Little King

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I don't get this one. :confused:

It is an amazingly British reference.

Short version: That guy is called Jeremy Hardy, he cannot sing.

Long version: There is a BBC radio programme called "I'm sorry I haven't a clue", which is a comedy panel game wherein a bunch of old comedians play nonsensical games and make hideous puns. It's in something like it's 60th series after 40 years with three original members still involved. That man, Jeremy Hardy, has become one of the regulars who fills the empty panel spot left by the late Willie Rushton (who died almost 20 years ago). A few of the staple rounds involve the panel members attempting to sing songs, either with the music fading out for an extended period while they try to stay in time, or the lyrics of one song to the tune of another (in the round called "one song to the tune of another"). Jeremy Hardy really, really cannot sing, so everybody delights in making him do so.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Out Our Way (June 12-13, 1925)

See? Told you they weren't dead.

[/quote]

The stench of skunk spray is an abomination.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Gives us the ballad of Pulpy Joe, lissen heya chillun:

Heathcliff On the other hand, is the best thing going today:

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

SA is the absolute last place I ever expected to see this joke.

e: I'm going to start editing Mary Worth along to the plot of The Archers.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Assorted Sunday Bloom County strips that were missing from the GoComics run.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I kind of like it.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Not to everyone. To me it smells like a little like burnt coffee, and a little like lemon. Not especially pleasant and I wouldn't seek it out, but not bad. Apparently it's some kind of genetic thing.

Wow, she really hates her loving kids.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Oh hey, edit material. Nobody use this, it's too much of a low hanging fruit.

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's actually suspect number 2 because can't nobody hate chicken, it is one of the Basic meats of no offense to anybody

On the last day of the Bubble Boy's life he asked for chicken yakitori

Used the skewer to pop his own bubble

Last thing he said was Awesome thanks for the chicken I loved it so much It was the only pleasure I ever knew

He used sign language to say this to the scientists

Everybody on hand completely cried their hearts out as the plastic bubble drew tightly across his face slowly suffocating him

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 10, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It loving is because #3 has white wine, isn't it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
April, 1987.
Bloom County

Ripley's

In an effort to get Bloom County caught up to Calvin And Hobbes, and then the Sunday comics to the dailies, I'll be posting only Sunday strips this week. :toot:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I was curious, so I looked up Werner Wejp-Olsen, the creator of "Inspector Danger". Turns out he's a Danish cartoonist who has had several strips appear in US newspapers while there. He finally relocated to California in 1989.

His first for the US market was Granny and Slowpoke, running 1976-77. It's about a cigar-smoking grandmother and her dog.

His second was The Maestro and Amalita, running 1978-79. About an opera company. 'Cause average Americans care about opera.

He had three more strips in US papers, "Inspector Danger" being one of them.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

RandomFerret posted:

It's actually suspect number 2 because can't nobody hate chicken, it is one of the Basic meats of no offense to anybody

Last thing he said was Awesome thanks for the chicken I loved it so much It was the only pleasure I ever knew

Everybody on hand completely cried their hearts out as the plastic bubble drew tightly across his face slowly suffocating him

RandomFerret's from Circumstances.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

Anyone that would have ouzo with steak is clearly a cold-blooded murderer. Dude's probably even Italian!

Caecal feces isn't the same as straight-up poo poo! :argh:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RandomFerret posted:

I'm going to be terrible here and say that, just in general, I don't really like chicken all that much. Some dishes are okay, but plain old roast chicken? Don't care for it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It loving is because #3 has white wine, isn't it.

The actual solution is that the second suspect did it, for exactly the reasons I provided. The specific wording on the first suspect was that "she is out, due to her gender".

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mister Beeg posted:

I was curious, so I looked up Werner Wejp-Olsen, the creator of "Inspector Danger". Turns out he's a Danish cartoonist who has had several strips appear in US newspapers while there. He finally relocated to California in 1989.

His first for the US market was Granny and Slowpoke, running 1976-77. It's about a cigar-smoking grandmother and her dog.

His second was The Maestro and Amalita, running 1978-79. About an opera company. 'Cause average Americans care about opera.

He had three more strips in US papers, "Inspector Danger" being one of them.

Man, these are so much more entertaining than Inspector Danger, are any of these running still or is ID the only one he's still inflicting on us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wanamingo posted:

The actual solution is that the second suspect did it, for exactly the reasons I provided. The specific wording on the first suspect was that "she is out, due to her gender".

Wait, what? No way. Post the real one.

• Locked thread