Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

manyleeks posted:

Compare this to (what I have seen so far) of Mass Effect 3. Shepard is well-recognised as a war hero, and while I'm assuming Lt. Danger is making the combat look easier than it actually is, it's pretty clear that Shepard is in their element. It's kind of interesting that despite their puissance as a soldier, the circumstances driving the plot are almost totally external to the character. A couple of posts earlier, someone described the action so far as, well, kind of dicking around with no clear goal. How good Shepard is at killing things has no tangible bearing on the plot, and it lessens the storytelling pretty considerably, at least from my perspective.
I disagree. Admittedly, there may be less of an emphasis on Shepard being good at wreaking bloody havoc on anything within their path in ME3 than in the previous two games, which notably ended with Shepard saving everyone by shooting Reaper avatars. ME3 doesn't quite end like that. However, it is made obvious already in ME2 that Shepard's combat prowess isn't the real reason for their importance to the galaxy's fate. What really sets Shepard apart from the rest, and what makes Shepard so crucial to finding a way to defeating the Reapers, is that Shepard is - as Miranda puts it in ME2's intro - "a hero, a bloody icon." Much like Revan and the Exile in the KotOR games, Shepard is cast into the role of a natural-born leader, effortlessly inspiring loyalty and able to unite psychologically disparate people under their command. It's Shepard's leadership qualities that prove essential to surviving ME2's suicide mission. In ME3, it's Shepard's task to unite the galaxy. This involves a considerable amount of shooting, which is convenient since Shepard's exceptional at that, but that's just gameplay; storywise, ME3 is a quest to garner support and resources for the war. Part of this is ending old conflicts. Curing the genophage, for instance, so that the krogan will aid the turians, so the turians can divert forces to fight elsewhere, so the Reapers' progress will be delayed, so there will be more time to complete the Crucible, and so on and so on. These conflicts specifically call for Shepard's intervention, if only because nobody else is really in any position or willing to act as an effective bridge or arbiter between the opposing sides. Moreover, resolving a matter such as the genophage is meaningful independently of its effects on the war. You could even argue that the act itself is far more important than its effects. As such, there is no need for Shepard to be directly involved in the Crucible's construction (although Shepard can accumulate various resources that should aid the construction process and the Crucible's eventual efficacy).

Regardless, Shepard's efforts in ME3 very much do matter, both for the resolution of the overarching plot and for smaller-scale issues and themes running throughout the series. It's just that, arguably, less depends purely on Shepard putting a bullet into someone or something than it did in ME1 and ME2.

quote:

In short, from what I've seen of the game so far, there's just not much scope for the characters to actually do anything to avert their fate.
Minor spoiler: without Shepard's interference, the Reapers will most definitely win.

EDIT: I apologise for relegating your post to the unnoticed bottom of the previous page, so to make up:

Arglebargle III posted:

It's totally unfair to criticize Mass Effect for being BioWare RPG Epic #6. Criticize BioWare all you want for that, but ME is ME. There was a huge audience of new adopters for the XBOX 360 console generation, and aside from KOTOR everything on that list is small potatoes compared to Mass Effect. And I defy you to find anyone who played Jade Empire. Are you going to criticize Rembrandt for painting all those drat faces? Or Michaelangelo for not branching out from all those muscly forms?

But seriously though, you can't try to distance Mass Effect 3 from comparison the other installments in the trilogy and then turn around and criticize Mass Effect for being too similar to BioWare's previous outings. I think the formula is understandable; Mass Effect was by far the most ambitious project BioWare had ever worked on, it made sense to work within a familiar structure.

That said, I think I'd agree that Mass Effect's writing is unexceptional with two major exceptions. First, setting. I know I just talked about it but seriously, just open up the encyclopedia or take a look around at your crewmates and ship in the game. They had a clear vision and put a ton of effort into it, and you really can't deny that Mass Effect is a great pastiche of pulpy retro-futuristic 60s and 70s space opera. How many original space opera franchises pop up every decade anyway, and how many actually succeed? I was mostly talking about areas within the game when I talked about setting, I didn't even get into the species or the art design, but it all works together to make something greater than the sum of its parts. Everything just screams 70s future. Somebody wrote that vision down before the art team got their hands on it.

Second, the 3rd act. Which may start at the beginning of Virmire but really kicks into gear with that conversation with Sovereign. I don't know who was in charge of plotting out ME's 3rd act but the game leaps into focus right around the Sovereign conversation and doesn't lose that focus until the credits roll. Mass Effect's third act is like a better game embedded in Mass Effect. Except the combat AI is still garbage, and no matter how good Sovereign's writing is, enemy is still everywhere. At least from Ilos on you fight Geth. Seriously, though, you could make a little diagram of just the third act. It introduces new conflicts by revealing that Sovereign is a character and that he's a super scary badguy. It plots its own rising action across Ilos, which starts with a locked door and a spooky empty graveyard and accelerates until Shepard is literally firing his car across the galaxy at ludicrous speed. And then, to somehow keep ramping up the intensity after that, the game helpfully blows itself up, turns itself sideways, and turns off the gravity. Everything from the conversation with Sovereign until his claw comes crashing down into the Citadel Tower is glorious.

I didn't say end credits because of the part where killing the Council has any impact on galactic politics. That's retarded. Killing the President doesn't let you pick the new President.

But anyway, somebody wrote the third act. Somebody made sure to set up the Citadel in the first act so that it would pay off at the end. Seems pretty good to me.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow sombrerotron way to post at exactly the same time as me and ruin my post for the new page.

The Crucible is an intentional choice and a last resort.

In a perfect world Leviathan would have been an ME2 DLC

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, why is Javik African?

Because they wanted to mark him out as different than the Amero-British accented characters that we've run into before.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Fair point on ME being a general sci-fi homage - I suppose I see that as a series-wide thing, but ME1 definitely carves out its own particular niche on that one. But in terms of writing, I don't think there's enough there to mark it out as best in the series - a lot is interchangeable with any of Bioware's other RPGs. Virmire onwards is solid but there's not much great about Czerka Corp. dicking around with colonists on Feros again.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

Fair point on ME being a general sci-fi homage - I suppose I see that as a series-wide thing, but ME1 definitely carves out its own particular niche on that one. But in terms of writing, I don't think there's enough there to mark it out as best in the series - a lot is interchangeable with any of Bioware's other RPGs. Virmire onwards is solid but there's not much great about Czerka Corp. dicking around with colonists on Feros again.
As Argle said, insisting ME3 be taken on it's own merits on one hand and taking ME1 as a set with every other Bioware game on the other hand seems unfair. How does it stand on it's own? I've never played a Bioware game outside of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series and the first game in both series seemed exciting and new when I played them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I guess no one commenting on the stupidity of Cerberus in From Ashes is a tacit agreement that the writing is, in fact, bad.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zeroisanumber posted:

Because they wanted to mark him out as different than the Amero-British accented characters that we've run into before.

It does help that the oldest human civilizations existed in Africa, and I mean real civilizations. There have been genuine empires of significant size and power in Africa but we know very little about them because the Africans weren't big on keeping written records so all we have are the oral histories recorded in songs and chants.

It's actually rather subtle and clever, many things in Mass Effect are despite the primary storyline being about as subtle as being hit by a star.

Waltzing Along posted:

I guess no one commenting on the stupidity of Cerberus in From Ashes is a tacit agreement that the writing is, in fact, bad.

Is anything to do with Cerberus ever written well? Cerberus are the most consistantly poorly written part of Mass Effect; even back in the first one they were incredibly stupid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes but for every throwaway like that there's a Rachni Wars or a Shadow Broker that's going to keep paying off down into Mass Effect 3. Sure, Lava Planet doesn't achieve any great narrative accomplishments, but you do rescue a blue space babe from evil robots inside an exploding volcano. Surely that's worth something.

Feros had some interesting concepts and mostly fumbled them. The only things that really worked were the skyway and the decision to kill the Asari commando. The Thorian was a neat idea but never amounted to anything, and his level being such a slog didn't do him any favors. The Geth worshiping was another interesting idea that gets fumbled and turned into a tell-don't-show thing in Mass Effect 2. To its credit I think Feros is the only mandatory section that you can point to and say that it doesn't really work. I'd say Mass Effect 2 also has only one mandatory section that doesn't really work, and ME3 has more than one.

Mass Effect's third act is really, really good though, good enough that it deserves to be separated out from "BioWare RPGs." KOTOR's third act is stodgy crap in comparison, and who knows what Jade Empire's third act was like? No really, I don't know anyone who made it to Jade Empire's third act.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I was actually going to comment on how Cerberus was comically evil and hilariously incompetent in ME, and that ME2 and ME3 did us a service by rehabilitating them, but then I thought... no.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Arglebargle III posted:

who knows what Jade Empire's third act was like? No really, I don't know anyone who made it to Jade Empire's third act.

I did. It was alright.

It was easily the shortest part of the game as well.

Also, getting that golem form at the end of Act 2 made the rest of the game stupidly easy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From Ashes would have made more sense if:

Cerberus had taken control of a number of pods.
They are killing the Protheans because they can't open the pods properly.
You have to infiltrate and are able to open the last pod because Shepard has the cypher.

Wandering around a compound and finding the key codes in Alliance computers is moronic.

I like Javik, mind you. I just think this whole thing is stupid.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I beat the end boss in Jade Empire by having a thing equipped that hurt an enemy whenever they hit you, and he basically punched me until he died.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

quote:

As Argle said, insisting ME3 be taken on it's own merits on one hand and taking ME1 as a set with every other Bioware game on the other hand seems unfair.

When I moan about people not taking ME3 on its own merits, it's largely a call for people to analyse what's in the game, not what they'd imagined it to be in all the pre-release hype. Yet again a topic to be covered in, uh, two videos' time?

Waltzing Along posted:

Agreed. And why doesn't Cerberus just shoot down Shepard's shuttle while they're at it? Lame.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

Agreed. And why doesn't Cerberus just shoot down Shepard's shuttle while they're at it? Lame.

Yep. That would make a much more exciting start to the mission. You get shot down. Then have to fight your way to and infiltrate the base. And then fight your way out on a hijacked Atlas with a groggy Javik stumbling along behind, held up by your two squadmates.

It's not really hard to improve the writing in ME3. You just have to think for a moment.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing I've noticed in your vids is you shoot the turrets on the side, rather than the barrel. Doesn't it do more damage if you hit the barrel?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
ME3 should be written my way

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Double post because editing is only for losers who like ME3

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I'm actually a terrible shot.

e: and I don't think turrets even have weakspots

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm actually a terrible shot.

You seem fine to me, but I've only got myself as a reference. I see a lot of headshots and it looks like you are playing on Insanity, too. It's just the turret shots that I always wonder if I was just stupidly upping the difficulty for myself by aiming for the barrel.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

From Ashes is undeniably weird. Javik's interactions with the rest of the game are weird, the level's execution is weird, his lack of impact on the story is weird. DLC characters are always weird, cut content DLC characters are weirder I guess. I like Javik though.

The level is an obvious slapdash job. Cerberus isn't an obvious enemy type for this outing. Collectors would have been cool although I guess we canonically blew them all up? When has that every stopped anyone from bringing back an enemy? The whole level is reused Mass Effect 2 assets. Might explain why they didn't bring back the Collectors because they would have recreated Horizon. If I'm not mistaken the enemies just spawn inside/behind buildings too. Very rushed stuff. If they'd had time I bet we would have gone spelunking in a Prothean tomb and had an encounter that made a lot more sense both in terms of encounter design and the overall story.

I thought the African accent was a nice subversion of the rule that the Old Lofty Imperial High Ancient Imperial Empire always have British accents, but the connection to ancient history works too. I hadn't thought of that before seeing it in this thread.

Lt. Danger posted:

Waltzing's may be approaching the question from the wrong direction, but he's right that the level doesn't make any sense. They probably should have rebuilt it from the ground up after the decision was made to cut Javik; not sure why they decided it was ready for release with the base game.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 10, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Jade Empire is the best post-BG2 Bioware game and I will White Demon Bitchslap anyone who disagrees.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

On a different topic: while it is true that BioWare has traditionally opted for an ancient evil/secret (perhaps not quite ancient in the case of the BG games, but still), I'd posit that it's primarily a convenient device. It provides the initial raison d'etre for the PC, and adds a basic structure to the game. That does not mean this world-threatening evil is what the game is ultimately about in any other than a causal sense. I believe the true focus of most of BioWare's RPGs is on choice, especially within the context of betrayal and redemption.

Consider the BG series, and how it asks the PC again and again: do you want to embrace your divine heritage? Considering that the PC's a child of the god of murder (now dead), it's unsurprising that this question is strongly tied in with a rather black-and-white good/evil dichotomy; do you obey your blood and choose evil, or do you reject its imperative and choose good? There's something subversive about betraying yourself/your parents by becoming a force for good, but never mind that. In the end, the question is more far-reaching, more fundamental, than a mere choice between good and evil. Your final action in Throne of Bhaal isn't doing the "right" thing or the "wrong" thing, it's deciding whether you definitively accept your divinity and ascend to godhood, or reject it and remain a mortal. What's great about this, I think, is that rejecting godhood is like refusing to play along any further with the inescapable RPG mechanic of striving to become ever more powerful. Choosing godhood is also the logical thing to do within the context of the plot - it's what the entire series, and Throne of Bhaal especially, has been preparing you for. Being permitted to throw it all away, then, has meaning. It's really up to the PC how their story ends.

In the NWN OC, the PC is just a random adventurer. The PC is presented with the usual moral choices, but how the PC develops morally isn't really the point. What is important is what certain other NPCs do, most notably Fenthick and Aribeth. Fenthick's a good person, but very naive, and he unwittingly supports a scheme to spread a magical plague in Neverwinter, convinced that he is actually helping to combat the plague. When that plot is revealed, Fenthick is crushed by his realisation that he and Neverwinter have been betrayed. Fenthick accepts responsibility for this, and is executed by Neverwinter. Aribeth was Fenthick's lover, and although she's a paladin of Tyr and therefore should be super-ultra-good, she cannot come to terms with what she considers to be a gross injustice. Aribeth eventually turns against Neverwinter, leading an evil army determined to lay waste to the city in order to get to (of course) an ancient artifact hidden within it. The PC confronts Aribeth, and defeats her in single combat, after which she is taken prisoner. It is then that Aribeth, through the PC and depending in part on how the PC has interacted with her earlier in the game, can be redeemed. Although she will have to face the consequences of her actions regardless, the question remains whether she will do so willingly and with contrition - i.e. like Fenthick did. Here, it's all about accepting or rejecting the rule of law and accountability.

Then there's KotOR, which combines elements from the BG games and the NWN OC. First off, there's the fact that the Jedi tried to completely erase Revan's memory and personality, and implant a different one. That raises some difficult moral questions, but in practical terms, it means that the PC must decide: who do they want to be? Darth Revan, or the heroic Revan who (supposedly) existed before? Of course, it may well be argued that the PC actually can't choose and is simply "good" or "evil", either because the Jedi succeeded or failed to adequately implant a new personality. Regardless, the issue at hand is about decided who you want to be. Secondly, Bastila undergoes a transformation that's very similar to Aribeth's. Although Bastila's fall is not related to any specific event, the fact is that Bastila also turns into a champion for the PC's enemy, that the PC will confront her, and that she can be redeemed through the PC. Juhani, of course, is another character who has fallen to the Dark Side, but can return to the Light via the PC. And then there's Jolee Bindo, whose on-ship banter concerns matters of destiny (i.e. the elimination of choice) and accountability. Again, we see the themes of betrayal, redemption, accountability, and the underlying choices - or the illusion thereof.

These themes return in Dragon Age once again. DA contains lots of little betrayal-and-redemption stories, but they are embodied most of all by Loghain: a noble defender of Ferelden, who betrays his king and the Grey Wardens in the belief that that's best for Ferelden, turns into a tyrant, but is eventually defeated and (depending on the PC's actions) given the opportunity to join the Grey Wardens and combat the Blight in lieu of "punishment". On the other hand, DA's treatment of choice is notably different from previous BioWare games. Whereas the basic message of the aforementioned titles is "you always have a choice", DA's basic message appears to be "you don't always have a choice, and having a choice at all is not necessarily best". For example, mages cannot help being mages, but must suffer the Chantry's dominion over (or persecution of) them for their nature. Social mobility for non-surface dwarves is almost non-existent, and the lowest-caste dwarves must forever suffer for their ancestors' crimes. Becoming a Grey Warden either means instant death or an accelerated death through darkspawn corruption, but there must be Grey Wardens to defeat the Blight. And then Sten will argue that the freedom to choose who one wants to be is detrimental to both individual and society. Even so, the question of personal choice is central to the game.

Oh, and let's not forget Saren and TIM at the end of ME3, if we're talking betrayal and redemption.

You might argue that it's all underdeveloped, simplistic, repeating itself, predicated too much on conservative ideas of good and evil, and you may be right. Even so, I'd say it's a mistake to look at BioWare games and define them primarily by overall plot and game structure. These games generally don't really make a point about the source of evil or how to defeat it (the ME series excepted, perhaps, if you agree with Lt. Danger's assessment), but they consistently do try to say something about the choices individuals make and how they respond to the consequences.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

anilEhilated posted:

Jade Empire is the best post-BG2 Bioware game and I will White Demon Bitchslap anyone who disagrees.

This x2, Jade Empire is an excellent game with no significant flaws to note and a genuinely well written and interesting story in which the characters don't act like retarded infants the moment a cutscene camera switches on and the one time you are defeated in a cutscene it is totally legit. The fact that it is so unknown despite straight up being one of the best RPGs Bioware have ever made and the best they have ever made using modern 3D graphics is super sad.

I might even go so far as to say that Jade Empire is the best story Bioware have ever written; the Baldurs Gate stories are more expansive and complex but Jade Empire's story is by no means simple and it is incredibly tight and well written.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 10, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

SirSamVimes posted:

Edit: The scene at the end of the video is a perfect example of how Liara has improved as a character from the first game. Back in Mass Effect 1, it felt like her only real character trait was her naivety and getting swept up in things. It wasn't until the second game that she started to get depth in her hunt for the Shadow Broker, and I wouldn't say she is an outright good character until the Shadow Broker DLC.

Since most of the stuff I'd want to say in regards to Javik and his "recruitment" mission have already been said (and I probably shouldn't write three paragraphs drooling over the Particle Rifle), I'd like to reiterate this point. That scene was probably one of the better ones in the whole game, showing Liara's development as a character. She has, using her own resources and archaeological knowledge, taken the initiative to guarantee some sort of hope for the next cycle, so that even if they fail here they'll be able to make some difference in breaking it. I'd also say that her showing it to Shepard is more than just making sure the player knows about it, it's showing how close she is to Shep and how much she values Shep's judgement, if not as a LI then at least as a close friend. I'd say she's come quite far from the naive little alien girl rescued back in ME1, and that scene is what cements it.

Then again maybe I'm just a bit biased and overplaying its significance in the grand scheme of things. Ah well. :liara:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

An alternative playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2jBep8NKvA

heavily trends towards Accentuate The Negative, but they substantuate their complaints. For people who are disappointed with the ME series. It's quite ... satisfying to hear the games get nitpicked to hell and back.

edit: whooops. That's the second episode, here's the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quiGpSh02yA

So those who want a more critical playthough, here's for you and now the OP can have a little more breathing room.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Feel free to drool over the particle rifle StrifeHira, it is so much better than all the other assault rifle options that it is basically in a league all of its own.

Ironically this actually makes sense since by all accounts the Protheans had significantly more advanced weapons technology and a larger industrial base than any of the current galactic powers so their weapons being just straight up superior to normal weapons is actually justifiable! Even if it is kind of a lovely move from a gameplay perspective.

e: Heyy there Spoiler Warning! Yeah if you want to hear people tear the poo poo out of the Mass Effect series the Spoiler Warning crew will be right up your alley.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

StrifeHira posted:

Since most of the stuff I'd want to say in regards to Javik and his "recruitment" mission have already been said (and I probably shouldn't write three paragraphs drooling over the Particle Rifle), I'd like to reiterate this point. That scene was probably one of the better ones in the whole game, showing Liara's development as a character. She has, using her own resources and archaeological knowledge, taken the initiative to guarantee some sort of hope for the next cycle, so that even if they fail here they'll be able to make some difference in breaking it.
Yes. Although Liara's very attached to Shepard, practically speaking, she's become independent by the time ME3 rolls around. First, she demonstrated that she no longer requires Shepard to physically protect her, deftly dispatching the Cerberus troops following her through the air vents. Now, she shows that she can fight the Reapers in her own way, on her own terms, using the knowledge and skills that she possesses but which Shepard does not. And if, at the end of ME3, the player elects to do nothing, we find out that Liara's plan does work out. In the end, Liara has become the closest thing Shepard has to an equal. Makes sense that she should be Shepard's canon love interest (if there is such a thing).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is kind of tacky to post someone elses vids in a LP.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I think it is kind of tacky to post someone elses vids in a LP.

I feel like a lot of the comments are <<why aren't you LPing this the way I want you to>> so I just want to toss that link their way so that it might stop. no tackiness meant.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

I believe the true focus of most of BioWare's RPGs is on choice, especially within the context of betrayal and redemption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEwsfZbO7KU

Even Mass Effect as well!

quote:

I feel like a lot of the comments are <<why aren't you LPing this the way I want you to>> so I just want to toss that link their way so that it might stop. no tackiness meant.

Nah, it's cool. I know I'm kinda mean to people in this thread but I actually really like arguing with people. Appreciate the thought though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

double nine posted:

There is a difference between advertising a different LP and debating the LP itself. This LP is about why ME3 is a good game. This is contentious. Hence the debate.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Well yes, but that trailer seems to emphasise the moral dilemma. I feel it's more about the personal aspects of choices than the morality or physical effects of those choices. In that sense, the ME series' Paragon/Renegade system is perhaps the best example of this kind of "who do you want to be?" philosophy in BioWare's games, encouraging players to shape Shepard's character as they see fit and be less concerned about traditional good vs. evil roleplaying or good vs. bad results.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sombrerotron posted:

Well yes, but that trailer seems to emphasise the moral dilemma. I feel it's more about the personal aspects of choices than the morality or physical effects of those choices. In that sense, the ME series' Paragon/Renegade system is perhaps the best example of this kind of "who do you want to be?" philosophy in BioWare's games, encouraging players to shape Shepard's character as they see fit and be less concerned about traditional good vs. evil roleplaying or good vs. bad results.

idk, renegade shep sure seems to love their cold, merciless executions of people that are unarmed and have surrendered. I mean, most of them aren't nice people, but still.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

idk, renegade shep sure seems to love their cold, merciless executions of people that are unarmed and have surrendered. I mean, most of them aren't nice people, but still.
Usually, though, that doesn't have much if any effect on the rest of the game(s). Maybe one particular NPC won't make a brief reappearance later on, yeah, but I don't think that's significant enough to decide against an execution if you think that's appropriate to the Shepard you're playing. And if you think "well that's a little too psycho for my Shepard", there's no obligation whatsoever to pick the Renegade option. ME1 and ME2 admittedly do penalise you a little for not always sticking with Paragon or Renegade, though, so ME3's implementation is the optimal one for the purpose of roleplaying freedom.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Renegade Shepard is all about taking minimum possible risks and maximising effectiveness, so it makes sense that they are unwilling to take the risk that sparing an enemy's life might bite them in the rear end later.

Paragon Shepard on the other hand has hope that by sparing their enemies said enemies may become allies down the line.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey I have an alternative explanation for the kid holding the ship at the opening. The kid the catalyst. The kid is playing with a ship, a toy for children. Then the real ship flies over. The real ship is a toy, the game is a puppet play by and for the benefit of the Catalyst.

The plot of Mass Effect 3 now makes perfect sense. Shepard exists only as an adjunct to the Catalyst, the player is playing the Catalyst's game, and is only allowed to play around the edges because it's not the player's game. In the end, the Catalyst lets the player play. The option for the player to reject Mass Effect 3 and stop playing was only added after a huge backlash.

Casey Hudson is the Catalyst.

Okay, I reinstalled this game and I'm at the part where you have to chase the kid in slow-motion. It's excruciating. Why did you leave this out Lt. Danger?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 11, 2014

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Neruz posted:

This x2, Jade Empire is an excellent game with no significant flaws to note and a genuinely well written and interesting story in which the characters don't act like retarded infants the moment a cutscene camera switches on and the one time you are defeated in a cutscene it is totally legit. The fact that it is so unknown despite straight up being one of the best RPGs Bioware have ever made and the best they have ever made using modern 3D graphics is super sad.

I might even go so far as to say that Jade Empire is the best story Bioware have ever written; the Baldurs Gate stories are more expansive and complex but Jade Empire's story is by no means simple and it is incredibly tight and well written.

Jade Empire's only flaw is that its enemy AI is kind of boring. Not even that it's combat is boring, because it has a fantastic set of combat mechanics, but that the enemies don't live up to the same standards. It's easily one of the best games Bioware has put out.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Red Bones posted:

Jade Empire's only flaw is that its enemy AI is kind of boring. Not even that it's combat is boring, because it has a fantastic set of combat mechanics, but that the enemies don't live up to the same standards. It's easily one of the best games Bioware has put out.

That and they kinda gave up on a sprawling storyline midway through and made the game a bit more linear. I probably wouldn't have minded flying around to another village and such.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Might be a bit late to bring this up, but I felt like Mordin becoming consumed by guilt and looking to undo his questionable legacy was a natural progression for his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cryohazard posted:

Might be a bit late to bring this up, but I felt like Mordin becoming consumed by guilt and looking to undo his questionable legacy was a natural progression for his character.

I agree.

• Locked thread