Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
For that matter, what ever happened to kumamiko?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DrSunshine posted:

Haha. A detail that I like is that she's got the Daredevil "DD" symbol on her eyepatch. Nice!

Yayness! I'm glad, that's what this thread is for!

But really, there's something that the latest chapter of ZaiX10 that caught my eye...

Apparently, there's a manga out there with a schoolgirl dressed in a horse mask. What is this manga, and how do I get a hold of it? :stare:

It's called Afo Guard. The premise is that there is a law prohibiting relationships between students, so girls have to go to school wearing masks of some sort. Since it's online like Nozaki-kun, you could read the latest chapters and the first two chapters online here if you know Japanese.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 1, 2014

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Blhue posted:

For that matter, what ever happened to kumamiko?

It's not my fault, honest :ohdear:

The group who offered to help me out wanted to go back and redo the first chapters in a better quality before continuing on. I agreed thinking that it would be done pretty quickly, but obviously I was wrong. There's at least two or three more chapters I've translated but at this point your guess is as good as mine as to when they might get released.

To tide you over until whenever that is I grabbed this picture from an upcoming chapter:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Here's Tonari no Seki-kun 56!

Seki-kun eat the dumplings :douche:

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 1, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Joshlemagne posted:

It's not my fault, honest :ohdear:

The group who offered to help me out wanted to go back and redo the first chapters in a better quality before continuing on. I agreed thinking that it would be done pretty quickly, but obviously I was wrong. There's at least two or three more chapters I've translated but at this point your guess is as good as mine as to when they might get released.

To tide you over until whenever that is I grabbed this picture from an upcoming chapter:

That bear has good taste in tablets.

And you do scanlations? I don't like to pester folks who do that stuff normally, but one of my favorite series has been dropped by all the groups translating it, and if you give it a read and like it, if you could take a stab at it(or suggest it to a group you know of) it's the only series I ever ask people about completing, since only a quarter of it's been scanned, and it's a fantastic series.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

And you do scanlations? I don't like to pester folks who do that stuff normally, but one of my favorite series has been dropped by all the groups translating it, and if you give it a read and like it, if you could take a stab at it(or suggest it to a group you know of) it's the only series I ever ask people about completing, since only a quarter of it's been scanned, and it's a fantastic series.

I'll try try and check it out later. But I'm having trouble just getting people to do the stuff I'm already working on so to be honest I probably won't be able to do it. And it seems like while the raws were all uploaded at one point, getting a working link to them now is kind of tough. Good luck getting someone to do it though. I know it's rough when you get into a story and can't get to the ending. At least the end is actually out there, though, and it's not one of those series that got cancelled in the middle or something.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
God, I'm sometimes amazed by how good Saiki Kusuo is.

new chapter here

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I should really post this extra chapter of Uwagaki in the Romance thread instead, but here's where we've been discussing them, so.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Terper posted:

I should really post this extra chapter of Uwagaki in the Romance thread instead, but here's where we've been discussing them, so.

The younger sister continues to be the best character. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
More My Neighbor Shogi-Kun. It is amazing how much creativity Morishige can milk out of the simple game of shogi! :allears:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
But wait! there's even more. Someone needs to teach this boy the Three Laws. For his own protection.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's a new fashion-minded Seki-kun!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

tonberrytoby posted:

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

The hero we deserve

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allarion posted:

I can't decide whether that counts as Seki's victory or Yokoi's.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

I love the title page illustration. Truly, Seki is a genius for the ages.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think that Yokoi's face really sells that intro pic. Heheh, oh Seki-kun. :allears:

Zai X 10 updated

v- Yes, it's pretty much the perfect embodiment of the ideal manga chapter in this thread. Oh god that machine, does it even matter if you tell the truth or not?? -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 16, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was pretty absurd and surreal.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There's a new chapter of Voynich Hotel out. At last we know what the Snark was keeping in her garden.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Ryuushika Ryuushika chapter 45 in which Pa is troubled and a blah-worlder is encountered

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 17, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Squidster posted:

There's a new chapter of Voynich Hotel out. At last we know what the Snark was keeping in her garden.

Tenebrarum is so happy, living her weird forgotten life in the basement.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New Seki-kun! It's Parent Visitation Day! :neckbeard:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Allarion posted:

At least now we know what kind of person married Seki's dad. Yokoi's future is looking less and less uncertain.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They've been starting to get hit or miss, but that one was a pretty big hit.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nice to see that Yokoi got off to a great start with her future mom-in-law.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Nice to see that Yokoi got off to a great start with her future mom-in-law.

I came here just to post this. They're such an amazing team vs. Seki-kun. :allears:

EDIT: Yokoi's mom seems really fun too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter of Nickelodeon:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/267028/nickelodeon_v3_ch37_by_thetsuuyaku

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Has Batoto been crappy for anyone else recently? I can't read Nickelodeon, and I couldn't read One-Punch Man earlier, either.

edit: But I could read the one before that one and :cry:

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 18, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh, it's a Cold Equations riff. That's... cute?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Yeah, I was dreading him playing the Cold Equation straight, but I was glad to see him give it a more compassionate twist. Hopefully she gets picked up in time to warn the target planet.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Silentman0 posted:

Has Batoto been crappy for anyone else recently? I can't read Nickelodeon, and I couldn't read One-Punch Man earlier, either.

edit: But I could read the one before that one and :cry:
Sometimes the chapter link is up but the pictures for recently uploaded chapters don't seem to have hit the database yet.

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

Allarion posted:

And another one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ahhhh, oh god, Gotoh's love delusion is just going to keep getting worse and worse, isn't it? :ohdear:

We'd better get a new Gotoh chapter soon, just to cover this latest development!

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
Yokoi has a long ways to go before mastering the secrets of disciplinary rubber bands. Next 10 chapters to be a training arc.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I just read through all of the existing translated chapters of Centaur's Worries, and it's gotta be the first manga where the art was good, but the story was not "what the gently caress" but "what the hell is the author doing"?

There was a perfectly good set up for both slice of life, cute kid stories, personal drama, social prejudices, and interpersonal conflict based on remote events. Instead we're seeing plots of aliens bursting through peoples' eye sockets and genetically engineered creatures ripping off peoples' heads.

They also change the characterizations of the characters from chapter to chapter. Is Himeno a klutz or a bow assassin. What the hell was with the hostage chapter early on? The tone of this series makes no sense. I find myself asking, "Why is this here?" at least once every 4 chapters.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
fyi Centaur's Worries is licensed in the US by Seven Seas as "A Centaur's Life"; volume 4 is coming out in September.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

UltraRed posted:

So I just read through all of the existing translated chapters of Centaur's Worries, and it's gotta be the first manga where the art was good, but the story was not "what the gently caress" but "what the hell is the author doing"?

There was a perfectly good set up for both slice of life, cute kid stories, personal drama, social prejudices, and interpersonal conflict based on remote events. Instead we're seeing plots of aliens bursting through peoples' eye sockets and genetically engineered creatures ripping off peoples' heads.

They also change the characterizations of the characters from chapter to chapter. Is Himeno a klutz or a bow assassin. What the hell was with the hostage chapter early on? The tone of this series makes no sense. I find myself asking, "Why is this here?" at least once every 4 chapters.

Pretty sure that was one or two chapters and the rest is adorable slice of life in a very different world? I dunno, I like the change of pace and worldbuilding that the odd chapters provide. Meanwhile in America! White Farmer Angels thinking Black Centaur Presidents aren't that bad after all! Aliens! Guns! Back to Japan!

e: I've been rereading and this is centaur's worries.jpeg

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fellis posted:

Pretty sure that was one or two chapters and the rest is adorable slice of life in a very different world? I dunno, I like the change of pace and worldbuilding that the odd chapters provide. Meanwhile in America! White Farmer Angels thinking Black Centaur Presidents aren't that bad after all! Aliens! Guns! Back to Japan!

e: I've been rereading and this is centaur's worries.jpeg

That was a great chapter! I loved that kinda naivete.

brave nazi aviator posted:

fyi Centaur's Worries is licensed in the US by Seven Seas as "A Centaur's Life"; volume 4 is coming out in September.

What does this mean? No more online manga? Are they paper publishing or do they have a subscription somewhere? ( me == anime clueless)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

UltraRed posted:

That was a great chapter! I loved that kinda naivete.

What does this mean? No more online manga? Are they paper publishing or do they have a subscription somewhere? ( me == anime clueless)

It mainly means that if you like it you can buy it and support the author if you like. Your friendly neighborhood amazon carries it: http://www.amazon.com/A-Centaurs-Life-Vol-1/dp/1937867919

AFAIK Seven Seas doesn't do any e-publishing

I'm wrong they even have a comixology page, but not for A Centaur's Life unfortunately.
https://www.comixology.com/Seven-Seas/comics-publisher/39-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

UltraRed posted:

I think it's more or less appropriate. You said it yourself - interpersonal conflict based on remote events. The story is mostly about Himeno and her friends but events around the world can influence her life in subtle ways. Whether all of those ways are going to be explored or it's just world building, it doesn't take away anything from her story. At worst it's just a break from it.

As to the characterization, I think it's plenty consistent. She can be a klutz and good at a specific physical skill at the same time (in fact I find the one-note "klutz" characters in a lot of works to be tiresome).

The tonal shifts I don't think are as bad as they seem. I mean, yeah, we go from "Himeno models for a magazine" to "Centaur slaves in ballgags staging a bloody revolt," sure, that's pretty jarring. But we also get stuff interspersed like the student council president's family. Sure, cute cat triplet antics are cute (super cute), but the whole time there's this subtle undercurrent of dread with the youngest and her Mysterious Manga Disease, and their father's dubious financial situation and how that's going to affect the president's life and that of her sisters in the future. There's a lot of subtle darkness in this work, and I think it adds some nice depth.

• Locked thread