Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Hopefully Hearts of Iron IV will be a throwback to HOI2 and not HOI3. Just a graphically updated version of Darkest Hour would be amazing.

I'd say its 30% DH, 30% HOI3 and 40% totally new stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Similarly will I be able to select that I want to build my aircraft carrier out of ice? If I build it in Iceland do I get a construction speed bonus? Will it take attrition damage in tropical climates?

I assume you're referring to this?

Because you totally should be able to do that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

podcat posted:

I'd say its 30% DH, 30% HOI3 and 40% totally new stuff

Is the CGM one of the hoi3 things being kept? Because that owned.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

podcat posted:

I think the utterly bat-poo poo insane stuff will have to wait for an expansion. We are trying to keep focused on the actual war first ;D

I know that one person's opinion doesn't mean much, but I would absolutely support an expansion that focused on prototypes and other stupid silly poo poo like that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nah they're keeping the fun bits from HOI3, like, um...

PS. No I will never stop being bitter about that pre-order.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darksaber posted:

I know that one person's opinion doesn't mean much, but I would absolutely support an expansion that focused on prototypes and other stupid silly poo poo like that.

It was good enough for BF1942. :colbert:

(Besides, a weird prototypes expansion would a legit thing to consider for situations where the war runs on longer than OTL; especially considering how the Horten flying wing had early stealth technology in a practical implementation. In an extended (or delayed) Battle of Britain, it would have been a motherfucker.)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DStecks posted:

(Besides, a weird prototypes expansion would a legit thing to consider for situations where the war runs on longer than OTL; especially considering how the Horten flying wing had early stealth technology in a practical implementation. In an extended (or delayed) Battle of Britain, it would have been a motherfucker.)

Id be down for a bunch of alt history scenarios. Be nice to have some different setups while waiting for Kaiserriech to get converted over

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I was pretty bored with nothing interesting to do today, so I decided to try and boot up that Victoria 2 random world mod. Decided to start in a Culturally slavic-like absolute monarchy in the Caribbean, and I started to check out the state of everything in my country. I opened the population screen and Holy poo poo. I think I know what I should be doing for the first couple decades.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

VerdantSquire posted:

I was pretty bored with nothing interesting to do today, so I decided to try and boot up that Victoria 2 random world mod. Decided to start in a Culturally slavic-like absolute monarchy in the Caribbean, and I started to check out the state of everything in my country. I opened the population screen and Holy poo poo. I think I know what I should be doing for the first couple decades.

Coming off of a game with Abyssinia where my conquests were constantly limited by a lack of Jingoism, this makes me incredibly jealous.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Don't be so jealous; despite the absurd support for Jingoism, I don't actually have access to a political party with the ideology. I only have two military ideologies available to me, in fact: Pro-military by the Conservatives and Reactionaries, and Pacifism by the Liberals and the OTHER conservatives. The random nation mod can create some ... interesting scenarios, it seems.

Edit: As a sidenote, what are the best choices for Military tech at the start of the game? I haven't played Victoria 2 in a long time, and even back then I didn't really have much of a clue as to what I was doing. I only have Flintlock rifles in Army tech and Post-Nelsonian Thought in Naval tech.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 10, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VerdantSquire posted:

Wiping out those Yarvastoiya fuckers? :argh:

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Unfortunatly not. The one we did for hoi3 was too limited and would take too much time to completely reimplement for hoi4 release even with the basic functionality we had in TFH. If there is interest we got a lot of ideas for how to make a better one at some point after release. Particularly as a great tool for setting up MP and such.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Mister Adequate posted:

Wiping out those Yarvastoiya fuckers? :argh:

The superior Perkoivoyia race has already conquered half of the vile and disgusting Yarvastoiyans. All they have left is a handful of rump island nations that are prime for the taking! :hist101:

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I just hope the diplomacy system from Hoi3 was torn down and rebuilt from scratch. The triangle system wasn't a terrible idea but didn't work in practice because everyone went to allies no matter what you did, plus the whole "every country in the world can influence your politics but you can't do anything about your own". If I want to turn the USA into a fascist dictatorship, give me the means to do so.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Palleon posted:

I just hope the diplomacy system from Hoi3 was torn down and rebuilt from scratch. The triangle system wasn't a terrible idea but didn't work in practice because everyone went to allies no matter what you did, plus the whole "every country in the world can influence your politics but you can't do anything about your own". If I want to turn the USA into a fascist dictatorship, give me the means to do so.

It's a wonderful prototype for a Cold War game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Eh, I'd rather they just cut the whole "influence politics" thing, it didn't really strike me as realistic or necessary. Government change can be done by event if it makes sense, but for the most part countries should probably just stay the same government type throughout. It was one of the things I didn't like about Kaiserreich - since the strength of the various political alliances is fairly random depennding on what choices are made in events, you can often end up with a WW2 that's over in moments.

It'd be cool if there was a file you could easily edit that sets the USA to "Fascist Dictatorship" if that floats your boat. Or a DLC with alt-history events you could pick through or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TBH I keep shifting back and forth between Darkest Hour and HOI3 because while DH's larger provinces/smaller province count and simpler division design makes it easier to play the war, HOI3 lets you assign all the non-war stuff to the AI so you can just focus on pushing counters around.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My problem with that is the non-war stuff is the whole point. There's games that do pushing counters around way, way better than HoI does so having fun with the production/research/diplomacy/espionage is what sets that series apart from other wargames.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

uPen posted:

My problem with that is the non-war stuff is the whole point. There's games that do pushing counters around way, way better than HoI does so having fun with the production/research/diplomacy/espionage is what sets that series apart from other wargames.

I actually disagree. I think HoI is at its best when it's a wargame through and through. When the political systems/espionage/diplomacy gets involved, the game is much much weaker. All I really want in terms of politics is, Axis, Allied, Comintern, Pro-Axis, Pro-Allied, Pro-Comintern, neutral. That's it. We don't need to make sure every ideology from 1936 is around.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DStecks posted:

I would love a weird prototypes expansion where the prototypes were exactly as terrible an idea as they would be in real life.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hearts of Iron IV's first expansion, Stupid Weapons of World War II.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Hearts of Iron IV's first expansion, Stupid Weapons of World War II.
:downs: I just spent a year and 200 IC building a Landkreuzer P-1000, but the allies just keep bombing where it is and it moves so slowly that by the time it gets to the front lines it's already out of supplies, low on organization and almost dead.

Gort posted:

It'd be cool if there was a file you could easily edit that sets the USA to "Fascist Dictatorship" if that floats your boat. Or a DLC with alt-history events you could pick through or something.

Crosstime Invasion DLC for HoI IV, can you fight off a horde of alternate dimension Aztecs while still keeping the Germans from landing on the Home Islands?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Don Gato posted:

:downs: I just spent a year and 200 IC building a Landkreuzer P-1000, but the allies just keep bombing where it is and it moves so slowly that by the time it gets to the front lines it's already out of supplies, low on organization and almost dead.

Curved Barrel
Upgrade for StG 44-equipped units
+1.00 Shock
+3.00 Defense
500% Supply Usage

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Don Gato posted:

You gotto think bigger: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2302786/The-secret-Nazi-plan-blow-cities-giant-mile-wide-SUN-GUN.html

In the game of crazy you play big or you die.

podcat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 10, 2014

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Agean90 posted:

Id be down for a bunch of alt history scenarios. Be nice to have some different setups while waiting for Kaiserriech to get converted over

You know, I'd pay money if Paradox did some DLCs that were straight up fleshed out and officially-supported alt-fiction scenarios for all of their games. From smaller changes like "England wins the 100 Year War," to "China took the lead in modernization" to Kaiserreich to crazier crap like a fantasy/historical take on Europe or the premise to the 1632 novels. Actual history is fun and all, but I've played it through so often I can curse France in my sleep and it'd be neat to see what happens if the Paradox devs let their minds run wild for a bit.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mexican invasion of Wilhemshaven scenario (semi-historical)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Decrepus posted:

You don't need a scenario for that in HOI3, it happens fairly reliably anyway.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

StashAugustine posted:

I would love a weird prototypes expansion where the prototypes were exactly as terrible an idea as they would be in real life.
It would make an amusing handicap for human players against the AI. Think of the achievements.

"Defeat Russia after building at least 10 Maus divisions."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there any idea what the "big expansion" for CK2 that's being announced at Gamescom is going to be? It's kind of sad how excited I am about that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

COOL CORN posted:

Is there any idea what the "big expansion" for CK2 that's being announced at Gamescom is going to be? It's kind of sad how excited I am about that.

It's gotta be China, surely.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gort posted:

The timeline has been extended backward to 476.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gort posted:

That would actually be really rad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Decrepus posted:

In real life, you had Brazilian divisions fighting in Italy and stuff.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gort posted:

China & Mongolia expac would be cool as all hell.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

COOL CORN posted:

Didn't paradox say they wanted more roleplaying or story telling in CK2? If I had to guess it would be something that improves on that.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I would love something that expands the depth of CK2 rather than expands the map. New map areas are fun but that's so many more characters and I'd love something more to do with some of the areas around already.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Gort posted:

Oh God, I don't know if my lovely laptop can handle yet more CK2 characters - India already makes her chug.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

That would actually be really rad.

Not really, unless it was stand alone. The map is already drat big, it doesn't need to be any larger.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Fully fleshed out Mesoamerica, only works if you have Sunset Invasion installed :getin:

Or China, I guess. That would be interesting but only if it was a separate map because holy poo poo there are a lot of cultures in between China and India and I think it would bring even my computer to it's knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

China expansion would be awesome because it means we can do a proper Mongol Empire.

• Locked thread