Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I saw an interview with Burt Ward and said that when he got the script it originally said Kato was going to LOSE and he actually went into hiding for a few days until the script was rewritten and Bruce Lee was no longer angry.

Another interview referencing the incident. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aT_nkTVIA0&t=137s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

chrisf posted:

The blue box is the end of the Reed flashback, the speech balloon is Tony at Cap's funeral.

Shouldn't that be the other way around then? A bubble to indicate the person talking is in the scene and a box to indicate either narration or a transition between scenes.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Lobok posted:

Shouldn't that be the other way around then? A bubble to indicate the person talking is in the scene and a box to indicate either narration or a transition between scenes.
No, I think that last panel is supposed to be at the funeral, hence why she's suddenly wearing sunglasses.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Um, no, you are not Darkseid. You're just influenced by him.

Warlock 11

As much as I love the Infinity Gems, I think the Rings of Vice are cooler.

Warlock 12

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Has this Superman trope ever been addressed in modern comics?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Say Nothing posted:

Is that a trope or just a limitation of the times? You can fake bullets with blanks, but you'd have to physically dodge an object thrown. As much as he's superman he's also an actor on a set with real world physics to contend with.

Is there a comic that does that?

It'd look really bad if the guy threw to miss. And maybe they didn't want to switch-cut to the bad guy holding a spongegun to throw or something. I don't know.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Presumably, the ideal solution would have been to just not have the actor throw the gun at him, since it both looked ridiculous and made no logical sense.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Did anybody else read The Midas Flesh? Because I enjoyed the heck out of The Midas Flesh. Although if you're not already onboard with the Ryan North sense of humour...eh, it's not gonna convert you.

And something out of context/non-spoilery from the last issue

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Or Superman could catch the gun. But I guess throwing it so that Supes can catch it and still have it look convincing is a bitch to figure out. They should have gotten the guy who used to throw Steve Austin his beer cans, he had perfect aim.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
What the hell are the Rings of Vice?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Avarice, Greed, Gluttony, Lust, and Burning Man.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Actually Burning Man has more of a cloverleaf shape.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grognan posted:

Avarice, Greed, Gluttony, Lust, and Burning Man.

Did the Eco-Villains find them and use them to create Captain Pollution?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Fabulous is what they are.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

funtax posted:

Presumably, the ideal solution would have been to just not have the actor throw the gun at him, since it both looked ridiculous and made no logical sense.
I think that's the trope they mean - where people fire until they're out of ammo and then just ineffectually throw the gun at their target for whatever reason.

(the reason is the gun is useless without bullets in it so why not?)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hey, it works in Hotline Miami. And maybe Nethack as well.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

I think that's the trope they mean - where people fire until they're out of ammo and then just ineffectually throw the gun at their target for whatever reason.

I hope later on the gun thrower gets his hands on some bullets and has to throw them at Superman too because he's all out of guns.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, the next panel has them shooting beams of energy with "the force to decimate planets", then the dude has a ton of rocks fall on his head and isn't heard from again.

Edit: The rocks are dropped by Pip the Troll who is trying to free a sex slave from the dude with the Rings of Vice. She gets free, but ends up running away with Eros, who literally stood in the shadows watching the whole time before swooping in for the girl.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 10, 2014

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

The MSJ posted:

Hey, it works in Hotline Miami. And maybe Nethack as well.

Or if you're Chunky Lafunga.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Say Nothing posted:

Do webcomics count?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Say Nothing posted:

I seem to recall on the Animated Superman from Dini and Timm that a crook threw a gun at Supes just to have him catch it and scrunch it into a ball.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Ghostlight posted:

Yes, but because it's a TV show and not a documentary about a real Superman being shot at, it's odd that the director didn't just say "don't throw the gun at him - it looks idiotic". My old guess used to be that the budget for the old serials was so low that they did nearly everything in one take and didn't reshoot unless something catastrophic happened. So when the actor tossed the gun, they kept it in despite the fact that it looks ridiculous. But if you watch closely, there's a splice right before he throws the gun, meaning they probably did at least two takes. I'm trying to imagine how terrible the end of the first take must have been that the decided to go with the "throw and dodge" version in the final cut.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Maybe he just turned around, looked at the camera and shrugged.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I seem to recall on the Animated Superman from Dini and Timm that a crook threw a gun at Supes just to have him catch it and scrunch it into a ball.
There was also the scene from the Justice League cartoon where Wonder Woman deflected a crook's bullets, he made as if to throw the gun, only to have her say, "Oh, yeah, like that's going to work."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

funtax posted:

But if you watch closely, there's a splice right before he throws the gun, meaning they probably did at least two takes. I'm trying to imagine how terrible the end of the first take must have been that the decided to go with the "throw and dodge" version in the final cut.

He probably hit Superman in the first take.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It looks like they just cut a couple of extra gunshots out of it. Like, Superman's already turned around, the guy's already fired four shots, the rest is just redundant and wasting air time.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I know I've seen a page on BSS before (can't find via google at the moment) where Spider-Man takes a gun to the face.

Was his spidey sense too tough to protect Parker from such a wimpy move?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think it was the Venture Bros where the bad guys empty their clips at a plane flying away, then one throws the gun after the plane. The other goon goes, "Why did you do that? We have more bullets! Go get it," and sends the first guy into the jungle after the gun.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Space Fish posted:

I know I've seen a page on BSS before (can't find via google at the moment) where Spider-Man takes a gun to the face.

Was his spidey sense too tough to protect Parker from such a wimpy move?

That sounds like newspaper Spider-Man, who has the proportional incompetence of a drunken spider trying to tap-dance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure which issue of Adam Warlock this is from but it's amazing unnerving none the less.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Uthor posted:

I think it was the Venture Bros where the bad guys empty their clips at a plane flying away, then one throws the gun after the plane. The other goon goes, "Why did you do that? We have more bullets! Go get it," and sends the first guy into the jungle after the gun.
Escape from the house or mummies, pt. 2. It's part of the "Last time on The Venture Brothers" opening highlight reel.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FredMSloniker posted:

There was also the scene from the Justice League cartoon where Wonder Woman deflected a crook's bullets, he made as if to throw the gun, only to have her say, "Oh, yeah, like that's going to work."

Sometimes it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr2GeWiDrdY

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure which issue of Adam Warlock this is from but it's amazing unnerving none the less.

Here he is trying to gently caress the sun in #15.

theflyingorc posted:

Escape from the house or mummies, pt. 2. It's part of the "Last time on The Venture Brothers" opening highlight reel.

Thanks! I'll see how long this lasts on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVeZGl5xGYk

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Read right to left to see goon.jpg

Dead Dead Demons DedededeDestruction by Inio Asano

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh my god, "I have a duty to tenaciously follow them around, posting spooky pictures and other things until they finally delete their account" is just... It's the perfect thing to say, ever!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Obviously sourced from a still of Dynamo's taint from The Running Man.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

a kitten posted:

Read right to left to see goon.jpg

Dead Dead Demons DedededeDestruction by Inio Asano

I like that he's a fat disgusting neckbeard but he still has a gorgeous anime face.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

CzarChasm posted:

What an interesting set of items to compare for size. An extra navel, fine. But a "frozen pot pie" is a very specific and strange item. You get the impression that the writer just drew a blank and started thinking about his sad bachelor dinner that night?

John Wraith uses the phrase 'exit wound like a chicken pot pie' to describe (I think) some kind of mercury-enriched bullet in a late-80s Wolverine book. Wonder if it was the same writer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pimpmust posted:

Oh that's one of the GOOD art-quality pages from that issue (not the bad-art thread, but these are pretty funny).

Behold:

Because for some reason this is a "Beach" issue.

I think one of those are supposed to be Kitty Pride? Or possibly Bombshell (they all have the same face).

Are these two consecutive panels? Because unless I'm reading it wrong, that dialogue exchange between the two panels doesn't make sense?

Filboid Studge posted:

John Wraith uses the phrase 'exit wound like a chicken pot pie' to describe (I think) some kind of mercury-enriched bullet in a late-80s Wolverine book. Wonder if it was the same writer.

Larry Hama also wrote Wolverine for a while, so probably.

Also, edit:

Larry Hama's wikipedia page posted:

[Hama] then served in the United States Army from 1969 to 1971, during the Vietnam War, where he became a firearms and explosive ordnance expert

So if Hama says it leaves an opening the size of a frozen pot pie, I'm going to guess that he has a pretty good idea what he's talking about.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Amazing X-Men #10: Rockslide continues his campaign for best X-Man ever

• Locked thread