Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
At some point in a civil trial, Tony will be on the stand and will be asked, under oath, what he was thinking about at the time of the accident.

In my awful heart of hearts, I know the answer I hope for him to give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

AsInHowe posted:

...head on back to reddit, buddy. Or identify where you're copy/pasting this stuff from.

Reddit...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

At some point in a civil trial, Tony will be on the stand and will be asked, under oath, what he was thinking about at the time of the accident.

In my awful heart of hearts, I know the answer I hope for him to give.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

I feel like anyone who says Stewart shouldn't race today "out of respect" or "because it's only right" is an idiot. Downvote me if you want, but there is literally ZERO logical reason why Stewart shouldn't race today. Ward obviously loved racing; would he really want Stewart to not be able to race all because of an accident? I doubt it. And there is absolutely nothing disrespectful in my book about running after something like this. If anything, it makes me more of a fan of Tony to see that he has the mental strength to do so.

Downvoted!

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I don't think that kid should have gotten out of his car and I also don't think Tony Stewart should have done his best Carmagedon impression.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Something Awful Gold to you goon sire.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I don't think that kid should have gotten out of his car and I also don't think Tony Stewart should have done his best Carmagedon impression.

Agreed. Not a mutually exclusive viewpoint.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Saw this on the news today and thought it sucked. Got an email from my dad this afternoon and found out Ward was a local kid from one town over and is racing buddies with my cousin that races late model and it sucks even more. I am really torn by this. I am sure Stewart did not intend to hit the kid, but it does look like he at least contributed to making it worse.

I guess at the end of the day the brunt of the responsibility lays with Ward. Racing rule #1 is that if you crash out and your car isn't on fire you don't get out. From the looks of it both of them were flexing nuts (Ward with the gesturing and tantrum and Stewart with the dirt slinging) and it cost the guy who was out of his car. Is Stewart criminally liable? I highly doubt it. Will there be some civil action? Probably. It is jut loving depressing either way and I hope the next time someone puts my cousin into the wall and he boils over he remembers this and stays in his loving car :smith:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a symptom of the over macho ness of car racing in America. Its good television when a driver gets out their car and goes bananas on the side of the track so it gets on tv. Good tv means they wont sanction drivers that do it so it becomes ingrained in the culture. Until you end up with a situation like this of course.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
At the very least, if Tony Stewart is completely blame-free as far as his actions behind the wheel (not saying he is), he is totally responsible (and probably, in fact, Exhibit A) for perpetuating the stupid bullshit macho getting out of your car on the track childish poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I wish NASCAR was like other sports and never had fights

e- also note that all of NASCAR fandom and most of the NASCAR thread here gets really mad when drivers get penalized for fighting

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Its tough to tell for sure from the video, but it looks like Kevin Ward Jr got smushed between both Stewart's and his own vehicle.

At the very least it looks like he bounced off his own tire. gently caress.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

serious gaylord posted:

Its a symptom of the over macho ness of car racing in America. Its good television when a driver gets out their car and goes bananas on the side of the track so it gets on tv. Good tv means they wont sanction drivers that do it so it becomes ingrained in the culture. Until you end up with a situation like this of course.

What is this post.

Herv posted:

Its tough to tell for sure from the video, but it looks like Kevin Ward Jr got smushed between both Stewart's and his own vehicle.

At the very least it looks like he bounced off his own tire. gently caress.

Also what is this post.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eFoOaNKSo

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Rip Dale

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah, rip,

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tony Stewart: Because NASCAR needed a murderer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Stupid question from a member of the public who doesn't pay attention to racing: Aren't drivers supposed to get out of their car after a crash if they can, due to the 0.000001% chance the car might burst into flames?

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Stupid question from a member of the public who doesn't pay attention to racing: Aren't drivers supposed to get out of their car after a crash if they can, due to the 0.000001% chance the car might burst into flames?

If it is on fire they should get out. But getting out of the car wasn't the problem here. It was running at another vehicle that's the issue.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thread needs more happy Tony

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mad Mafioso posted:

If it is on fire they should get out. But getting out of the car wasn't the problem here. It was running at another vehicle that's the issue.

Right, but it was the several mentions of a possible Kevin Ward Rule forbidding drivers from exiting their cars after a crash until medical personnel arrive that got me thinking about this.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I don't see an inherent problem with fights after the race, but don't bring it on to the track while the race is still going on. How hard is that?

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

Eric the Mauve posted:

No, the driver is much safer inside a wrecked car than he or she is outside of it. The only reason to leave a car before the safety crew shows up is if it's on fire or there is some other immediate danger to the driver that can be avoided by getting out. Once the race officials get the field under control the driver can get out and head back to the pits, but before that happens a race track is not a safe place to be as a pedestrian.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

soggybagel posted:

To be clear, I wasn't using the bicycle analogy as reasoning into this case. Merely that there are a lot of factors that go into bringing charges forward and that this is going to be a very complicated situation.

Oh I know, I just didn't want anyone to accuse me of that either, hahah.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mahoning posted:

At the very least, if Tony Stewart is completely blame-free as far as his actions behind the wheel (not saying he is), he is totally responsible (and probably, in fact, Exhibit A) for perpetuating the stupid bullshit macho getting out of your car on the track childish poo poo.

Just because Tony Stewart had done it previously doesn't mean he's at fault because another adult made the conscious decision to do it themselves. While it's very tragic that Kevin Ward, Jr was killed, this never would have happened if he would have just stayed in his drat car. Even the guys racing on dirt tracks at county fairs or whatever have been around long enough to know that running on a racetrack with cars whizzing by is a bad loving idea. He is at least 95% responsible for his own death.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Retail Slave posted:

Just because Tony Stewart had done it previously doesn't mean he's at fault because another adult made the conscious decision to do it themselves. While it's very tragic that Kevin Ward, Jr was killed, this never would have happened if he would have just stayed in his drat car. Even the guys racing on dirt tracks at county fairs or whatever have been around long enough to know that running on a racetrack with cars whizzing by is a bad loving idea. He is at least 95% responsible for his own death.

Seriously. Running into the street with traffic is one of those life lessons you are supposed to know by the time you are a few years old. Much less into a loving race track.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Lorini posted:

I don't see an inherent problem with fights after the race, but don't bring it on to the track while the race is still going on. How hard is that?

Adrenaline doesn't lend to calm through..

I've witnessed so many fights at local soccer fields that I just think it's a package, competition. Not encouraging it by ignoring it is all you do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Right, but it was the several mentions of a possible Kevin Ward Rule forbidding drivers from exiting their cars after a crash until medical personnel arrive that got me thinking about this.

The getting out of the car is just a symptom of the larger problem, which is drivers thinking it's ok to act like childish twats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwc8obMmv7o

Imagine if he had tripped and ended up in front of that car. He didn't even get a slap on the wrist for this.

If he had been banned from the tracks for 3 months for bullshit like this. and it was understood that doing poo poo like this would lead to a ban from participating race tracks, ward probably wouldn't have gotten out of the car like that. Instead, the most popular and most visible racing organization almost encourages and glorifies this poo poo.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Retail Slave posted:

He is at least 95% responsible for his own death.

Where'd you copy that from?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

You read something into my post that wasn't there. I'm not saying that Stewart would be at fault for his death because he's done that poo poo before, just that he's one of the dumber driver who has continually done that Dumb Thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think we can agree that all race car drivers are stupid and should be locked into their cars until someone lets them out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Powershift posted:

If he had been banned from the tracks for 3 months for bullshit like this. and it was understood that doing poo poo like this would lead to a ban from participating race tracks, ward probably wouldn't have gotten out of the car like that. Instead, the most popular and most visible racing organization almost encourages and glorifies this poo poo.

Link to the deadspin comment section you c/p'd this from please.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Eric the Mauve posted:

No they're supposed to die in their car as the lord intended. *holds up 3 fingers in the air*

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Peanut President posted:

Where'd you copy that from?

Nowhere, why?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Retail Slave posted:

Nowhere, why?

Oh I thought we were posting idiot opinions from website for stupid people. I--I didn't realize.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
The dude who died was a fag and Smoke is cool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

They DO encourage it openly saying "have at it boys" so you really can't fault the drivers for doing something they're encouraged to do. It's nothing new really, has been going on for decades, and has never been an issue until now.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mRY79mat34

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

leica posted:

They DO encourage it openly saying "have at it boys" so you really can't fault the drivers for doing something they're encouraged to do. It's nothing new really, has been going on for decades, and has never been an issue until now.

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mRY79mat34

I really doubt they are "encouraged" to run in front of vehicles driving at 120km/h

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Peanut President posted:

Oh I thought we were posting idiot opinions from website for stupid people. I--I didn't realize.

Ok, so tell me exactly where and why you disagree with my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Retail Slave posted:

Ok, so tell me exactly where and why you disagree with my post.

No.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread