Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you don't mind paying all the 30k forgeworld bolters come with them

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_BOLTER_-_UMBRA_PATTERN_X10.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think those might be too big for what I need them for, which is denoting which Sisters of Battle are the Celestians.

Their proportions are much more in line with the older stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
moths - I sent you an email.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
To whoever was maintaining the Goon painting RSS site - I sort of have a painting Tumblr now:

http://irisofether.tumblr.com/

My figures primarily get used for tabletop RPGs, and since I don't have a good display solution right now, it makes it kind of difficult to remember what all I have to choose from for our various one-shots and what not. So I'm slowly uploading all my existing photos and tagging them by type to be more searchable.

One entertaining fringe consequence is that, since I'm uploading these things in reverse chronological order from my Google account, the next hundred or so photos are going to have gradually shittier paint jobs as I go. It's like Benjamin Button or Merlin, but for thinning my drat paints. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Who was the dude that posted the weathering powder tutorial? I've got some urban and rust weathering to do but I'm terrified of messing something up.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

ijyt posted:

Who was the dude that posted the weathering powder tutorial? I've got some urban and rust weathering to do but I'm terrified of messing something up.

Weathering powder doesn't stick until you deliberately glue it down with a fixer. Go hog wild and you can take it off just by wetting it :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

Maybe this post?

Its hard to screw up weathering pigments. Just remember that it will look MUCH less vibrant after you fix it. Over apply a tiny bit.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
:woop:

:doh:

...and yes, it's poly-cemented like that. Welp.

It looked fine when I initially stuck him together but I must have flexed the cloak while pressing down, causing it to sproing apart a few minutes after I wandered off. I'll come back to him at some point to attempt a fix, but he's going on the back-burner for now.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Gonna crosspost what I've been working on from the scale thread (these are actually sold as wargame pieces and are pretty drat miniature so....) I took a little break from the warhams and have been making some zvezda early wwii 1:100 soviet armor.

Finished/based T-26 Mod 1939 (I threw together the base with green stuff, its not perfect but i think not an awful first sculpt)

Work in progress T-34/76 mod 1940 (still need to finish up weathering, maybe tone back the rust a little bit and varnish, maybe not I do sort of like it as is, then I need to figure out how to make decent snow to base it). I've never gone for the wintery look before, but I kinda dig it.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

John Denver Hoxha posted:

Gonna crosspost what I've been working on from the scale thread (these are actually sold as wargame pieces and are pretty drat miniature so....) I took a little break from the warhams and have been making some zvezda early wwii 1:100 soviet armor.

Finished/based T-26 Mod 1939 (I threw together the base with green stuff, its not perfect but i think not an awful first sculpt)

Work in progress T-34/76 mod 1940 (still need to finish up weathering, maybe tone back the rust a little bit and varnish, maybe not I do sort of like it as is, then I need to figure out how to make decent snow to base it). I've never gone for the wintery look before, but I kinda dig it.

I was like, yeah those are pretty good, then I saw the loving coin. Great work!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Crossposting my Gnarlhorn - pretty pleased overall with how he came out.

Partway through I realized his trunks (or whatever) should have been a different colour since they really blend in too much with the rest of him but I didn't want to risk loving things up by repainting them. I'm not sure what colour would work well anyway.

Having seen these photos though it now bugs me how you can see where his feet are glued down. I don't know about trying to get some flock or something jammed in under his hooves to try to hide it or not.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Finally getting back to painting, just wanted to say 2 things: 1) you guys paint really gorgeous models and this thread is the only thing pushing me to work on my stuff, and 2) gently caress painting CSM backpacks

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Also been out of touch for a while, so I kind of lost track of the model ranges . I'm starting a GK army an need suggestions for henchmen psyker models (or good base models for conversion).

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 9, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I read people talking about varnishes before, but mostly spray I think? Could I get something like Vallejos varnishes? Would I still have to use gloss first and then matte for the best effect? How well do they work for brushing on?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sistergodiva posted:

I read people talking about varnishes before, but mostly spray I think? Could I get something like Vallejos varnishes? Would I still have to use gloss first and then matte for the best effect? How well do they work for brushing on?

They work fine for brushing on, it's just tedious and time consuming. The gloss then matte advice is for heavy use gaming minis - it's not that it gives a different effect, just that gloss protects better but people want it to wind up matte in the end.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
What's the best/cheapest place to get me some plasticard? All sorts. I need all sorts of plasticard.

I'm dusting off my Ork army and apparently planes are A Thing now in Warhammer 40,000, so I gots to buy some model ones and make 'em ready for da boyz.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What's the best/cheapest place to get me some plasticard? All sorts. I need all sorts of plasticard.

I'm dusting off my Ork army and apparently planes are A Thing now in Warhammer 40,000, so I gots to buy some model ones and make 'em ready for da boyz.

For Sale signs. They're dirt cheap and can be found anywhere.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OneTrueBru posted:

:woop:

:doh:

...and yes, it's poly-cemented like that. Welp.

It looked fine when I initially stuck him together but I must have flexed the cloak while pressing down, causing it to sproing apart a few minutes after I wandered off. I'll come back to him at some point to attempt a fix, but he's going on the back-burner for now.

at first glance I was sure the mistake was that the cloak was under the backpack. Thinking about it though,the cloak over the backpack would look kinda stupid too. Maybe there shouldnt be cloaks in 40k

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Sistergodiva posted:

I use the Vallejo varnishes, and only brush them on. I live in a really humid area, also airbrushes are expensive. I really like them, and they have a slight blue hue to them when they're wet and pooled so you can easily notice and keep them from frosting.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I had a go at painting this Deadzone guy, Good enough for the table, I think :

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
X-Post from the 40k thread. I'm curious what you think of these. They are somewhat plain due to lack of detail, but I think they turned out alright:

I made a couple of minor modifications to the Exarch.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Those look great to me! I mean they aren't some super spectacular detail poo poo like you said, but they look clean and I dig the colors!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Boon posted:

X-Post from the 40k thread. I'm curious what you think of these. They are somewhat plain due to lack of detail, but I think they turned out alright:

I made a couple of minor modifications to the Exarch.

When the humans invaded, the lunk alarm sounded and the Swooping Hawks of Craftworld Fitness assembled.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
:siren:Paint-rack trip report:

I had some paint storage racks given to me for me birthday and decided that was a good reason to finally get around to tidying up my desk before I set them up. They're from Frontier Wargaming. They come as flat-packed, laser-cut MDF kits. I already had one that I bought last year, and added an extra shelf rack and the two corner racks.

Assembly of the 3 new racks took an hour or so. They're almost entirely held together by the friction of the interlocking parts. I added a few tiny bits of PVA glue to the corners of the base, but this probably isn't necessary in most cases. The racks are nice and sturdy without glue.

They have a nice system for holding the paints that means they can hold most brands. Vallejo dropper bottles can be stored either normally or upside down. There's a bunch of slots for brushes and other tools.

Look at how clean and tidy my desk is! You can see my older rack and the 3 new ones, both empty and loaded up.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I finished a Demolisher:

So after I was done painting, I went on my fake-me-out mini balcony to varnish that thing. I had finished the upper part and the turret, and I was spraying the underside. When I was going back in the door, I carelessly bumped the cardboard I use to varnish the models on and the tank tumbled to the balcony floor, where it bounced and rolled through the bars to land on the concrete below and then bounce into a bush. I was like "OH poo poo" and ran down to see how many pieces it was in. The Emperor must have been watching over me because I discovered that only the hull-mounted flamer had popped off and a tiny bit of damage to the paint on the underside had occurred. I'm still chuckling about it.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Based up my T-34 (another scale model cross-post) , I went with baking soda (made a paste of pva+bicarb+water+white paint with slight blue tinge, then after application sprinkled on more baking soda) for my snow (whipped up a base from green stuff/kneadatite whatever you wanna call it), I've heard that people have had problems with baking soda reacting and turning yellow/goopy, hope that doesn't happen, but if it does it wouldn't be too great of a loss in terms of investment and I like the texture for now.
I'm not totally done, gotta tidy it up a little bit and maybe add some dirty slush effect.
There is no bow mg because they scavenged it for some other purpose and covered it off, and the tank was kept in a shelter during the snowfall (because I don't want to risk the finish which seemed to work out pretty decent lol)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I have heard a million warnings that baking soda will yellow but zero examples. I think it's just a modeler urban legend.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JoshTheStampede posted:

I have heard a million warnings that baking soda will yellow but zero examples. I think it's just a modeler urban legend.

Dunno about the baking soda, but I have an ice golem mini from ~2000 that I based with unsealed Elmer's glue, and it's starting to yellow a bit.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JoshTheStampede posted:

Its not an urban legend, I have a Chaos Giant that was based using it and it has turned a sort of piss yellow/wood glue yellow color over the years. Took about five or so years maybe, but it did happen.

Edit: Here's a lovely cellphone pic, white areas are GW snow flock, yellow is baking soda. Both applied over PVA glue. You can avoid the yellowing if you make a paste with the baking soda using some white paint and other things:

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 11, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I painted a lot of poo poo today. First I did up a Cadian command squad for my retro duders. I love the old plasma gunner, since it looks like the plasma gun is actually a rifle and not a huge heavy weapon. The old paunchy officer is also one of my absolute favorite IG sculpts; his face has tons of character and his shotgun is super cool:

Second, I did some Obliterators from that Russian dude on eBay. I think I switched golds between the last one I did and these ones, since the colors seem really different.Maybe I just didn't shake mine up enough, dunno. Either way, they were fun to paint and painted up quickly:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I had some of the GW snow basing go piss-yellow on me within an hour of application, which led to a prompt end to my motivation to do snow 'Nid bases.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

HiveCommander posted:

I had some of the GW snow basing go piss-yellow on me within an hour of application, which led to a prompt end to my motivation to do snow 'Nid bases.

Woodland Scenics (and Gale Force Nine, which is apparently just repackaged Woodland Scenics) has good snow basing. I got some GF9 snow basing in 2008 and it's still white today.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

SRM posted:

I painted a lot of poo poo today. First I did up a Cadian command squad for my retro duders. I love the old plasma gunner, since it looks like the plasma gun is actually a rifle and not a huge heavy weapon. The old paunchy officer is also one of my absolute favorite IG sculpts; his face has tons of character and his shotgun is super cool:

Those Tyrannids are after his lucky charms!

But seriously, awesome as always, SRM.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I have finally done it, I have managed to not paint pupils that look like poo poo for once:

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

SRM posted:

Woodland Scenics (and Gale Force Nine, which is apparently just repackaged Woodland Scenics) has good snow basing. I got some GF9 snow basing in 2008 and it's still white today.

Seconding this. Plus, the Woodland Scenics version comes in one of those Costco-giant-spice containers, so you can make snow bases foreeeeever.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/aztek/airbrushable-acrylic-paint/bottles

I saw these over at Michaels today. Has anyone had any experience with them?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Why would you use those when you have so many other options that are tried and tested?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why would you use those when you have so many other options that are tried and tested?

Morbid curiosity.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The Aztek is a lovely airbrush. Why would you make a brush that needs to swap heads to adjust paint flow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Aw man. I stopped in at a local game shop for the first time to try and locate a few more Citadel Shades now that the other shop's closed. I found a spacious and nicely air conditioned store, the walls gently filled with everything from all the popular skirmish and army games, Secret Weapon washes and bases, Happy Seppuku base molds, Micro Art Studios products....

I'm just glad that I had to rush to get back before my lunch break was up, because that poo poo is dangerous.

• Locked thread