Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hooman posted:

Jesus gently caress those corporate datamining stories are loving scary. I'm cutting up my loyalty card and buying everything with cash from now on. loving hell.

Too late, the facial recognition algorithms already have you marked :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Top and centre:
Our biggest competitor sucks and its their own fault!

loving shameful journalism

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

open24hours posted:

There's no reason you can't build a deep fryer or a grille or whatever into one of those machines, and making a burger or chips is really not that complicated. Lights out manufacturing might have seemed impossible fifty years ago, but it's commonplace now.

Great if you are a franchisee of a multinational fast food empire which fits that sort of food, less so if you are a restaurant that wants to provide at least the illusion of higher quality to justify the higher prices you have to charge. In which case you would prefer to just hire Filipinos at minimum wage *cough cough* and hide them in the back.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

SynthOrange posted:

Robots dont form unions.

Yet.

Voltron, any of the Megazords, Devastator(He's even made up of construction workers)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Other posted:

Voltron, any of the Megazords, Devastator(He's even made up of construction workers)

I thought we weren't allowed to use the Milkysignal in D&D? :confused:

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Sanguine posted:

Just wow. The only way we can hire people on the other side of town is to hire other people. From another country.

This is truly a work of art. :golfclap:

The solution is clear. Implement more public housing in Vaucluse and Mosman. Sure, all the captains of industry would have to share with some of us regular plebs, but on the other hand, their staffing problems disappear overnight. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Anyone go to Swineburne?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pcb.941604209200687&type=1

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

sidviscous posted:

The solution is clear. Implement more public housing in Vaucluse and Mosman. Sure, all the captains of industry would have to share with some of us regular plebs, but on the other hand, their staffing problems disappear overnight. Seems like a fair trade to me.

How about instead you allow the captains of industry to bring in a dozen low paid employees from India who will sleep in two shifts of 6, each packed into a shoebox one bedroom apartment near work, who will accept these conditions because at least the pay is way better than where they come from and they might get residency. Also they are a lot easier to bully when they actually demand getting paid.

Luckily Restaurant & Catering Australia is here to help small business owners in cutting government red tape and pushing forward needed reform to create a sustainable industry.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guys, stop vilifying me by taking a screenshots of my sexist, racist bullshit.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

The similarity of this poo poo to so much of what I see from people I went to school with, students I teach, people in line at the bloody Woolworths, it makes me wonder if the Liberals aren't the party of the people after all.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

In the face of mounting allegations against the LNP in ICAC, perhaps the Greens and other parties might try a strategy of pointing out that they've never been investigated for corruption in their entire history.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Saw one of those (different brand, same function) at Chatswood Westfield on Sunday...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

In the face of mounting allegations against the LNP in ICAC, perhaps the Greens and other parties might try a strategy of pointing out that they've never been investigated for corruption in their entire history.

Proof of their irrelevance. Not even worth bribing.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

These have been around since before video stores stopped being relevant because that's where I saw one. They actually really stink up the joint.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

open24hours posted:

Yeah - that's pretty much what my in-laws said when I pointed this out

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Les Affaires posted:

This actually doesn't work well; it comes across as bragging or, yes, a sign of our irrelevance. What's best is to emphasise our positive qualities in a way that only implies we aren't corrupt rather than outright saying "we aren't corrupt:" emphasising that we don't take corporate donations, for example.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/the-economy/unsustainable-labour-costs-crippling-restaurant-industry-20140811-102n9d.html

Captains of Industry are mad that the greedy plebs are costing nearly half of their business expenses.

Behold the future of Job Creation:

I actually kind of welcome it. It means that I can go to a restaurant and not have to worry about a racist waiter going into the kitchen and telling them that "a dirty mussrat is at our restaurant. Poison him/undercook his food/spit in his food".

On another topic, I was looking for Auspol's opinion on an initiative I came up with. I expect to be absolutely lambasted for it and torn to shreds, because this is after all Auspol.

Basically, what if social media were used in an anti-name-and-shame campaign, for good purposes. Instead of focussing on outing racists, a social media page could be used to identify non-racist employers for the benefit of Aboriginal people. That means they don't have to waste as much time applying for jobs they won't get, and it's a step towards breaking intergenerational unemployment in those communities. Employers could identify themselves, or they could be recommended by other employers, job-seekers, current employees, etc. Cartoon? You'd love something like this, wouldn't you? If you could afford to have employees, I mean. Sorry.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

open24hours posted:

I tried with some mung beans and a couple of grams of weed, but they wouldn't take it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

#yesallyoungliberals

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Swinburne has a big focus on IT too so I am really not surprised in the least.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I actually kind of welcome it. It means that I can go to a restaurant and not have to worry about a racist waiter going into the kitchen and telling them that "a dirty mussrat is at our restaurant. Poison him/undercook his food/spit in his food".

On another topic, I was looking for Auspol's opinion on an initiative I came up with. I expect to be absolutely lambasted for it and torn to shreds, because this is after all Auspol.

Basically, what if social media were used in an anti-name-and-shame campaign, for good purposes. Instead of focussing on outing racists, a social media page could be used to identify non-racist employers for the benefit of Aboriginal people. That means they don't have to waste as much time applying for jobs they won't get, and it's a step towards breaking intergenerational unemployment in those communities. Employers could identify themselves, or they could be recommended by other employers, job-seekers, current employees, etc. Cartoon? You'd love something like this, wouldn't you? If you could afford to have employees, I mean. Sorry.

This is a pretty good idea, but could be expanded to any non discriminatory employer. Are you not poo poo to women? Aboriginals? Foreigners? Don't even think "Foreigner" is really a thing? We want you!

The only problem would be a bunch of people going, OH SURE WE DON'T DISCRIMINATE because most terrible racists don't think of themselves as terrible racists and hate being called out on the fact that they're terrible racists *cough*Bolt*cough*.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Yeah. Don't think anyone cares about the young liberals, they didn't even have a stall for recruiting at the start of the semester so they probably have a smaller presence than the powerlifting club.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

That would hinge on the media giving them even the thinnest sliver of airtime.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

hooman posted:

This is a pretty good idea, but could be expanded to any non discriminatory employer. Are you not poo poo to women? Aboriginals? Foreigners? Don't even think "Foreigner" is really a thing? We want you!

The only problem would be a bunch of people going, OH SURE WE DON'T DISCRIMINATE because most terrible racists don't think of themselves as terrible racists and hate being called out on the fact that they're terrible racists *cough*Bolt*cough*.

I'm hoping the threat of having actual indigenous people show up for job interviews will be enough to deter such people. You could even rate workplaces through the website. Higher scores for actually having indigenous people in your workplace, for being recommended by your employees, for being recommended by your indigenous employees, etc, etc. Trip reports from applicants could be a thing also.

I think the main challenges are in moderation, assessment, and administration. Also funding, lawyering, recruitment and retention. But it should be easy to steer clear of defamation and such by submit not publicly posting anything negative.

e: Seriously, Auspol, tear my idea to shreds already. You're all like the ultimate black hat, and I need your input.

BlitzkriegOfColour fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 11, 2014

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://singularityhub.com/2014/08/10/burger-robot-poised-to-disrupt-fast-food-industry/

Topical

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Went on a resume run today, tried handing one in to a local bottle shop and the old fucker who ran the place simply pointed to the door and told me to :getout:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I'm hoping the threat of having actual indigenous people show up for job interviews will be enough to deter such people. You could even rate workplaces through the website. Higher scores for actually having indigenous people in your workplace, for being recommended by your employees, for being recommended by your indigenous employees, etc, etc. Trip reports from applicants could be a thing also.

I think the main challenges are in moderation, assessment, and administration. Also funding, lawyering, recruitment and retention. But it should be easy to steer clear of defamation and such by submit not publicly posting anything negative.

e: Seriously, Auspol, tear my idea to shreds already. You're all like the ultimate black hat, and I need your input.

Internet literacy among australian employees:Internet literacy among aboriginal australians.

you'd need to get people online and using the web service to give it enough actual data to be relevant, are some of these people likely to do that?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Every time someone posts a YL Facebook page I take it upon myself to find the most gooberish photo of one of them I can.

I mean,

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

On the other hand

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

that's a young liberal goku. He is powering up to go full on super-saiyan (racist).
:goku:

Holy poo poo, install one in my house. Also I want an auto deep fryer that will cook chips and other hot foods.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 11, 2014

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Anidav posted:

Went on a resume run today, tried handing one in to a local bottle shop and the old fucker who ran the place simply pointed to the door and told me to :getout:

What bottle shop was it? I'm in Brisbane and I'd rather not give them the business if I can avoid it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

Still curious what your appearance is like.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Laserface posted:

I was going to say he looks pretty drat normal, but it has been a long time since that goonmeet so maybe he's gone feral in the meantime.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Anidav is probably the spitting image of NTATA.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Bompacho posted:

What bottle shop was it? I'm in Brisbane and I'd rather not give them the business if I can avoid it.

Windsor Liquor Land

Laserface posted:

Hunchback, blind in one eye and a pirate flag cape.

Actually, I look pretty normal but if I were playing Rogue Trader, I would look like that.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Anidav posted:

When are you finishing your degree?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It gets a bit reaching by the end, but this http://marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm has a good take on where mass automation would be easier to get a toehold. The tldr is that it'd be much easier to automate the middle managers out of a job. Whether that happens or not though is another question.

These captains of industry have a hard time getting a website built so if they think they're gonna automate customer facing service as a response I think they're a bit deluded anyway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sisgmund posted:

When are you finishing your degree?

A year and a half or so, Advertising major :L

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think its time for another brisgoon meet at the Stokehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Bompacho posted:

Yeah, name and shame. Esp if it's in the Toowong/St Lucia area. We could always try getting a student boycott going.

• Locked thread