Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

You haven't provided any evidence showing otherwise you loving shitbag

He has. That's the problem. The evidence he's shown is completely and utterly drenched in libertarian doublespeak, backpedaling, and self-assurances however. He does not appear to have any readily available means of translating out of this half-assed not-English into English though, which is why a number of us are becoming increasingly agitated at him. He either cannot or will not stop talking from a single super-heavily biased perspective where everything is always right and the possibility of being wrong is so non-existent that to invite the notion is a blasphemy against the Moneygod.

But within the confines of that self-serving tongue he has justified and explained everything perfectly. Whether or not this makes everything several orders of magnitude worse is up for debate but for my part, I think it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

I've engaged in discussions with people on different forums and SomethingAwful is frustrating. Am I the one and only libertarian that posts here? I don't mind discussions where I am the minority. As you can probably guess, I prefer it that way. But I'd prefer the ratio was a little more equal. I'd rather it be 10 against 1 rather than 100 against 1. People simultaneously criticize me for ignoring certain posts ("he only responds to the easy questions) and if I try to reply to everyone, I get banned and chastised for getting way behind and losing the discussion.

Sorry Jrod, but you don't get to whine about how we're all a bunch of meany-head leftists who are unfairly ganging up on you and that the mods are out to get you. You didn't take the time to lurk here and see how we operate, you didn't read the rules that specifically state not to make a thread like this, you failed to see a thread that was for arguing the pros and cons of libertarianism that already existed, and you came here to Something Awful and asked for this. We didn't track you down and start privately emailing you ridiculing you about your beliefs. You're the one that willingly put out your idiotic ideas for everyone to see, critique, and ridicule.

In short, you made the bed and preceded to poo poo in it yourself, so it's not our fault that you have to lie in it now.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

jrodefeld posted:

But there were plenty of people who heavily criticized the Chick fil a CEO also. There was a lot of outrage in the other direction. And it's not as if he did anything other than express his political opinion. He didn't refuse to serve gays.

Protip: Chick-fil-a serves gays because it's illegal not to. Before the CRA, businesses would openly and happily refuse to serve black people, and faced zero backlash for it.

But seeing how you can see my posts, care you explain why you'd enforce such a statist requirement on my bank as making me back up my currency with precious metals? Why should you dictate to my customers what money they can accept?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Reverend Catharsis posted:

But within the confines of that self-serving tongue he has justified and explained everything perfectly. Whether or not this makes everything several orders of magnitude worse is up for debate but for my part, I think it does.

It's not like there are better defenses as you go up the chain. The standard libertarian response to getting called out on racism, from Kinsella on down to the lowliest open carry wolfshirt, is "he's not a racist because I would never associate with a racist." It's circular like everything they do, everything comes down to A is A.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."
I've always been surprised by most Goons' vehement hatred for libertarianism, especially considering that the SA forums are a great representation of what people can do when they're allowed to freely organize themselves. I don't know how many of you are gamers, but if you are, think about how idiotic politicians are when it comes to videogames. They're totally uneducated about the issue, yet they make policy based off the emotions of voters who are also ignorant. What you need to realize is that they're doing the same thing for every single issue. They're uneducated and belligerent, and playing off of your emotions.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

In short, you made the bed and preceded to poo poo in it yourself, so it's not our fault that you have to lie in it now.

Hey, that's not fair.

He doesn't need to come back.

But it'd be better if he did.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So if we refuse to let him just handwave away the fact that the Libertarian "intellectuals" he cites are racist because "he's totally read more of their works than any of you and with his perfect rational mind come to the conclusion that these are all perfectly rational beings, totally not racists", will he just shut up and let himself get banned, go into factory default mode and just repeat Libertarian talking points like a FOX pundit, or finally try to seriously read and understand the things people are saying to him and take a radically critical look at his though processes and beliefs?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Protip: Chick-fil-a serves gays because it's illegal not to. Before the CRA, businesses would openly and happily refuse to serve black people, and faced zero backlash for it.

But seeing how you can see my posts, care you explain why you'd enforce such a statist requirement on my bank as making me back up my currency with precious metals? Why should you dictate to my customers what money they can accept?

There's also a thread full of stories about businesses either refusing service to gay people or firing a person for being LGBT. So I don't know what pretend world he's living in where public outcry will prevent discrimination.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Socrates16 posted:

I've always been surprised by most Goons' vehement hatred for libertarianism, especially considering that the SA forums are a great representation of what people can do when they're allowed to freely organize themselves. I don't know how many of you are gamers, but if you are, think about how idiotic politicians are when it comes to videogames. They're totally uneducated about the issue, yet they make policy based off the emotions of voters who are also ignorant. What you need to realize is that they're doing the same thing for every single issue. They're uneducated and belligerent, and playing off of your emotions.

A lot of it is that we have a lot of ex-libertarians around.

No one here is particularly naive about how politicians work. It does strike me as naive to think that the same people who are politicians now would not be able to exploit a given libertarian society.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Socrates16 posted:

Source your quotes.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

Wanamingo posted:

Source your quotes.

What quotes?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

SA essentially runs as a dictatorship though. If it wasn't it'd be even more like reddit, with even more pedophiles than the ones we had(have). Seriously how stupid can you be. Goons are not a good blueprint for society Jesus Christ.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Socrates16 posted:

We still have mods that keep us from straying too far out of line with bans, probations, and what have you. We are not some sort of purely free society that can do whatever. If you want that by all means, head for /b/ circa about 5-10 years back. See what a clusterfuck THAT was.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
Actually just double-taking on the idea that SA would translate from a message board to an actual government.

We'd be killing each other in the streets within hours.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Socrates16 posted:

What quotes?

It's a sarcastic way of telling you that you just made a really lovely post.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Little Blackfly posted:

SA essentially runs as a dictatorship though. If it wasn't it'd be even more like reddit, with even more pedophiles than the ones we had(have). Seriously how stupid can you be. Goons are not a good blueprint for society Jesus Christ.

SA forums are an example of what free people in a free society are capable of doing without force. Not a blueprint for how a society should be run.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Socrates16 posted:

SA forums are an example of what free people in a free society are capable of doing without force. Not a blueprint for how a society should be run.

Yes, but we're still all happily obeying societal laws and obligations- we pay taxes, we pay our bills, etc. We occasionally rail against unfair practices and individuals who are massive dicks but we aren't seriously proposing to destroy the establishment entirely so we can set up some kind of insane utopia based on complete nonsense and pixie dust.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Socrates16 posted:

So your saying that free people in a free society would band together for the express reason of making the lives of the other communities around them absolutely miserable?

Sounds about right, yeah.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Socrates16 posted:

Free to regulate via the use of force, yes. You are a Good Poster.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Reverend Catharsis posted:

Yes, but we're still all happily obeying societal laws and obligations- we pay taxes, we pay our bills, etc. We occasionally rail against unfair practices and individuals who are massive dicks but we aren't seriously proposing to destroy the establishment entirely so we can set up some kind of insane utopia based on complete nonsense and pixie dust.

This is a non-sequitur to my statement.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Socrates16 posted:

pssssssshaahahahahaahahahaa

SA is an example of what a bunch of bored nerds with :10bux: and a credit card will talk about while lightly moderated. Anything else is grasping at straws.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
While I'm interested in them, video games are not at all my pet issue so I don't really see politicians any better or worse because of them. Frankly, it's a medium that still has plenty of growing up to do.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

While I'm interested in them, video games are not at all my pet issue so I don't really see politicians any better or worse because of them. Frankly, it's a medium that still has plenty of growing up to do.

What about SOPA? CISPA?

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010

Socrates16 posted:

This is a non-sequitur to my statement.

No based on your prior statements it sounded like you were going to go on and try to take the slow route to trying to convince us that maybe Jrod has a point besides the one on top of his head, so I made my statement based on that notion.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

First Bass posted:

pssssssshaahahahahaahahahaa

SA is an example of what a bunch of bored nerds with :10bux: and a credit card will talk about while lightly moderated. Anything else is grasping at straws.

"Now to revel in true culture," he said as he loaded the latest Friendship Is Magic on netflix.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Socrates16 posted:

What about SOPA? CISPA?

What about them? No one here is under the impression that politicians are anything less than highly flawed and often under-educated. But that does not invalidate the system itself.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

What about SOPA? CISPA?

They were/are poor legislation.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Cercadelmar posted:

"Now to revel in true culture," he said as he loaded the latest Friendship Is Magic on netflix.

I was also wearing my fedora and posting on my MRA and atheism focused youtube channel.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Socrates16 posted:

No mods, no masters. From ev'ry monitor, let freedom ring!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Socrates16 posted:

What quotes?

*man with fake nose and glasses comes into room*

"I agree with jrodefeld."

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Who What Now posted:

What about them? No one here is under the impression that politicians are anything less than highly flawed and often under-educated. But that does not invalidate the system itself.

They're examples to a broader point I was making about how politicians make terrible laws about everything.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

They're examples to a broader point I was making about how politicians make terrible laws about everything.

I don't consider that sentiment meaningful enough to constitute a point. Is our system completely hosed and broken? Probably. Would I trust a Libertarian within 50 miles of any effort to reform or replace it? Heavens no.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Socrates16 posted:

Things would be so much better without government, then we wouldn't have to worry about losing things like net neutrality.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Everything else aside, SedanChair, you're alright in my book.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
SA is a good example of a highly centralized and hierarchal authority that attempts to find balance between enforcement of law while still allowing for people to post whatever within those laws, I agree SA is a good example of a state.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

DrProsek posted:

SA is a good example of a highly centralized and hierarchal authority that attempts to find balance between enforcement of law while still allowing for people to post whatever within those laws, I agree SA is a good example of a state.

It is literally impossible for you all to be that dense. SA was not an example of a society, but of what individuals within a society are capable of doing without force.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Socrates16 posted:

And libertarians totally won't make terrible policy because

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SedanChair posted:

He comes from... someplace far away. Yes, that'll do.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

And libertarians totally won't make terrible policy because

Less government would mean they'd be making less decisions about policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Socrates16 posted:

It is literally impossible for you all to be that dense. SA was not an example of a society, but of what individuals within a society are capable of doing without force.

Your posts are an act of aggression on me

• Locked thread