Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Thorpe posted:

I run a baritone 8 string tuned down to as low as low C# below bass E.

Holy poo poo man, what sort of music are you playing? If you're in a band, what is the bassist tuned to (if you have one)? My bass cab, admittedly only a 4x12, barely handles my five string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Well I got me self a new fancy thing.

A Simon and Patrick Songsmith Folk, at $320 CAD it's a steal for how good it sounds. Plus the way it's voiced makes it perfect for singing on top of, and it looks so drat beautiful with that perfect sunburst and satin finish*.

Only problem with it is that it doesn't fit dreadnought cases so I need to wait until my local shop gets classical cases back in stock.

*Cue Sax.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

I'd be curious to know your impression of this once you've put it through its paces. I own a Traveler mkII and 8pre mkII — both firewire — with the 8pre's ADAT-out feeding the Traveler. 16 channels, never had any problems. Then as I was sourcing interfaces for my workplace I discovered that the 8pre went USB only, and I was like, wtf? I ended up going well out of my way to find two old firewire versions because of my irrational hate-on for USB interfaces.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

NonzeroCircle posted:

Holy poo poo man, what sort of music are you playing? If you're in a band, what is the bassist tuned to (if you have one)? My bass cab, admittedly only a 4x12, barely handles my five string.

Mostly chuggy stupid metal, but I like to use the extended lows for two handed tapping and slapping it. Sort of a guitar bass hybrid. I'm not in a band at the moment (newish job who coincidentally forgot to tell me they regularly like to work 60+ hour weeks during the interview) but I like to crank up when I can.

When I have played with bassists we'd generally tune in unison, I'd cut out a lot of the lows from my tone and let the bassist bring the bass. Meshuggah does it that way and it works pretty well for them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Noise Machine posted:

Depends what kinda sound you're going for. I know a local band that has a guitarist using a VI on two songs, he plugs into his musicman head and matching 2x12 and he runs that really hot. That's if you want a more mid-heavy sound.

Probably a Robert Smith kind of thing, so that'd be pretty reasonable, but holy hell that is about fifty times more amp than I own right now, I've just got a scavenged 1x12" Crate combo from the mid-80s that I had to replace the speaker on. I'm probably the kind of bad player who'd try and play chords on it, since my usual gig is rhythm guitar.

Thorpe posted:

I run a baritone 8 string tuned down to as low as low C# below bass E. I play loud a decent amount and haven't blown out a speaker yet. Using Century Vintage speakers and just EQ out the sub lows.

I had not thought of outside EQing, and an EQ box is probably not that expensive to get ahold of...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

:raise: is that not just everyone's go-to thing regardless of tuning? Sure, in the studio you can dick around all you want with fancy stuff to get it just so, but live, if you're not cutting bass heavily on your guitar channel in the first place, you can just about bet the audience won't hear somebody else.

edit: I thought this was the guitar thread, whoops! obv. if you're still new, you don't really have standards n' practices yet, but that's one to keep in mind. I don't like hard/fast rules but a highpass at 100-125 for guitar is pretty much necessary, often higher (I like the way a very heavy guitar sound turns out when highpassed pretty aggressively at 250hz personally, but that doesn't work very well at all for non-distorted guitar).

Back to extended range bass talk, I've been chewing on the idea of getting a Schecter Hellcat. Anyone have any experience with one? I have a MIK Schecter from 2007 that's the tits but I'm fairly certain that their quality control (or something) took a massive nosedive with the move to China, based on experience with the MIC Schecters from 2009 onward anyway. Or maybe it was growing pains and things are better now, a lot of poo poo can change in seven years.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 8, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Agreed posted:

:raise: is that not just everyone's go-to thing regardless of tuning? Sure, in the studio you can dick around all you want with fancy stuff to get it just so, but live, if you're not cutting bass heavily on your guitar channel in the first place, you can just about bet the audience won't hear somebody else.

edit: I thought this was the guitar thread, whoops! obv. if you're still new, you don't really have standards n' practices yet, but that's one to keep in mind. I don't like hard/fast rules but a highpass at 100-125 for guitar is pretty much necessary, often higher (I like the way a very heavy guitar sound turns out when highpassed pretty aggressively at 250hz personally, but that doesn't work very well at all for non-distorted guitar).

Back to extended range bass talk, I've been chewing on the idea of getting a Schecter Hellcat. Anyone have any experience with one? I have a MIK Schecter from 2007 that's the tits but I'm fairly certain that their quality control (or something) took a massive nosedive with the move to China, based on experience with the MIC Schecters from 2009 onward anyway. Or maybe it was growing pains and things are better now, a lot of poo poo can change in seven years.

I'm not cool enough or good enough to gig, and what band I had is basically a non-extant thing, so even though I'm not new (sucking for seven straight years now), I'm basically trash with bad opinions so whatever. I just get to play in my apartment.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Handen posted:

I'd be curious to know your impression of this once you've put it through its paces. I own a Traveler mkII and 8pre mkII — both firewire — with the 8pre's ADAT-out feeding the Traveler. 16 channels, never had any problems. Then as I was sourcing interfaces for my workplace I discovered that the 8pre went USB only, and I was like, wtf? I ended up going well out of my way to find two old firewire versions because of my irrational hate-on for USB interfaces.

Will do:patriot:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Allen Wren posted:

I'm not cool enough or good enough to gig
I don't know a thing about you, your post history or your skill level, but bullshit.

I hear this so often from so many people and barring a physical or mental issue, there's absolutely no truth to it, EVER.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

I don't know a thing about you, your post history or your skill level, but bullshit.

I hear this so often from so many people and barring a physical or mental issue, there's absolutely no truth to it, EVER.

Since we don't emptyquote here, I'd like to note that I arrived at this same conclusion independently but just felt sad and didn't say anything, which is why iostream is cool, you see.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thorpe, that sounds pretty cool, guess anything that low is gonna be heavy, and it sounds interesting that you are approaching it with bass techniques.

Although not strictly 'new' my last guitar was a very cheap Harley Benton 7 string off eBay, the neck feels nice and solid but the intonation is out by the third fret when tuned any lower than B Standard, probably due to the dreadful floating trem, which I've now blocked. My advice to anyone looking at extended range instruments is spend that bit more, and for the love of god get a hardtail! I've had numerous cheap sixes that have all played ok, and sold my first cheap 7 years ago for the exact issues I'm having with this one. Maybe this time I've learnt my lesson!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thorpe, that sounds pretty cool, guess anything that low is gonna be heavy, and it sounds interesting that you are approaching it with bass techniques.

Although not strictly 'new' my last guitar was a very cheap Harley Benton 7 string off eBay, the neck feels nice and solid but the intonation is out by the third fret when tuned any lower than B Standard, probably due to the dreadful floating trem, which I've now blocked. My advice to anyone looking at extended range instruments is spend that bit more, and for the love of god get a hardtail! I've had numerous cheap sixes that have all played ok, and sold my first cheap 7 years ago for the exact issues I'm having with this one. Maybe this time I've learnt my lesson!

Hardtail supremacy! Here's a video of a recording I did awhile ago (over a year god drat) of some of the clean stuff I play. Having an 8 string opens up a lot of interesting things, but it is really hard to not just crank up the gain and chug the lowest string with a stupid grin. Maybe thats just me though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTl5Y7RCFwI

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Think I'll be making this my next guitar:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Mmm music men.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

I'm not cool enough or good enough to gig, and what band I had is basically a non-extant thing, so even though I'm not new (sucking for seven straight years now), I'm basically trash with bad opinions so whatever. I just get to play in my apartment.

Shut the gently caress up and get on a stage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

For a while I was really kicking myself for never playing a show ever, even had iostream kicking my butt about it and giving me some much appreciated support. In the end I've realized right now I just don't want to, and that's cool. When I do feel like it I'll go for it. I don't know what my point is really but if you'd like to gig, go do it! If not, who cares? The thing is there will be tons of people much shittier than you out playing every night so it's not something worth worrying about. Do what you want to do with music with all the confidence you have and realize that critics only matter if you want them to. Have fun with your hobbies.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I go through phases of playing live in bands, then moving exclusively to studio stuff. At the moment I'm amassing a huge collection of songs which may or may not ever be played live, but like a lot of "bedroom" players I'm doing it for my own entertainment. Making songs I want to hear, variations on music I listen to that I think could be better.

I think the experience of playing live is not to be underrated though. There's nothing like getting lost in a song on stage and coming out of it at a random point to see a bunch of people either staring in rapt attention or dancing or moshing. First couple of times I got self conscious, but the band was playing shows and I wasn't going to halt that because I didn't want people staring at me.

Side note for Agreed: I don't think anyone answered your Schecter quality question. From everything I've heard, their 2013-2014 models are high quality for the price. It surprises me every time I hear it, since my only Schecter experience came during their crap years. But that's what people have been saying now!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It's not like the second run on Squiers was exactly top notch.

The two that finally arrived at the local shop were both slightly hosed. Both were damaged inside SEALED AND UNDAMAGED boxes - so Squier was likely just flying them out the door to catch up. Most reported brutally cut nuts made out of the softest plastic known to man (mine as well).

Mine has a finish scratch by the neck pocket on the body, but that's it. Didn't notice until a few weeks later and got a "tough poo poo" approach from the store I picked it up from. The other one had a huge ugly brown knot right behind the fret marker and kind of ruined that nice maple neck look. Clearly wood choice was low on priority when you're 8months behind schedule.

From the get go, you'll need to "fix" the bridge issues for intonation, replace the nut, and order the heavier LaBella strings to reduce some rattle. The tuners could stand to be a little higher in ratio too as tuning the E and A strings edges on "pretty close" for achieving tuned playing. It gets there, but it'd probably be a lot nicer with 18:1 ratio instead of the standard VM Kluson style tuners. The three pickups switches are kind of sharp if you catch your right hand on them while playing.

That aside, it's comfortable as all gently caress to play. I love the big block inlays and binding (minus that the nut is bound and will have to be cut for nut replacement). I jacked the poo poo out of the string height to reduce a lot of the "clack" when playing a little too hard in the stock strings.

The stock pickups are also like 10K (in the bridge for sure). I put in a Neovin 5K Strat pickup for the bridge to see what it would be like with a thinner sound. Cool to experiment since you don't have to pull the strings like a Strat.

If you have the tone rolled all the way off and you hit the "strangle switch" it becomes a "kill switch".

Open chords involving the A and E strings are too muddy and useless, so bottom four only for strumming (D, F, etc).

I was debating selling mine as I don't have a bass rig and rarely use it - but then I play it and I'm all "hell no, you ain't going anywhere".

Edit: phone ramble :words:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 9, 2014

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

The Gasmask posted:

I go through phases of playing live in bands, then moving exclusively to studio stuff. At the moment I'm amassing a huge collection of songs which may or may not ever be played live, but like a lot of "bedroom" players I'm doing it for my own entertainment. Making songs I want to hear, variations on music I listen to that I think could be better.

I think the experience of playing live is not to be underrated though. There's nothing like getting lost in a song on stage and coming out of it at a random point to see a bunch of people either staring in rapt attention or dancing or moshing. First couple of times I got self conscious, but the band was playing shows and I wasn't going to halt that because I didn't want people staring at me.

Side note for Agreed: I don't think anyone answered your Schecter quality question. From everything I've heard, their 2013-2014 models are high quality for the price. It surprises me every time I hear it, since my only Schecter experience came during their crap years. But that's what people have been saying now!

I think MIK guitars in general have been getting steadily better, to the point that they're pretty much the MIJ of the day. Personally I still steer clear of Chinese stuff though.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Thorpe posted:

Mostly chuggy stupid metal, but I like to use the extended lows for two handed tapping and slapping it. Sort of a guitar bass hybrid. I'm not in a band at the moment (newish job who coincidentally forgot to tell me they regularly like to work 60+ hour weeks during the interview) but I like to crank up when I can.

When I have played with bassists we'd generally tune in unison, I'd cut out a lot of the lows from my tone and let the bassist bring the bass. Meshuggah does it that way and it works pretty well for them.

Meshuggah's bassist actually tunes up a full step.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Argali posted:

Meshuggah's bassist actually tunes up a full step.

I assume you know this, but for people who don't: Meshuggah uses F standard tuning on their guitars (a half-step down from normal F# on an 8), leaving their bassist in an interesting situation. He could tune down an octave, but that requires huge strings or an extended scale bass. Instead he tunes his up from E.

Great resource for fans: http://avhguitarrepair.com/the-meshuggah-guitar-archive/. Their tech guy Allen has a blog where he goes into great detail on pretty much every instrument the band uses.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

The Gasmask posted:

He could tune down an octave

This would be pretty loving dumb for metal band that wants to play live.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Argali posted:

I think MIK guitars in general have been getting steadily better, to the point that they're pretty much the MIJ of the day. Personally I still steer clear of Chinese stuff though.

I've said the phrase "MIK is the new MIJ for import quality" before, back when Agiles first started getting big, PRS' QC for the SE series MIK was kicking rear end at the time (they still have really good quality control), Schecters back in like 2005-2008 (when I first started seeing Made in China pop up was 2009 iirc), but I am not /totally/ confident that it's true. Mainly because MIJ instruments tend to be so nice, and Korean manufacturing facilities are closer to Mexican ones in terms of working conditions, especially in the instrument world. Cort is the go-to example here: controlled 30%+ of the guitar market coming up to 2007, but put workers in conditions with exceptionally poor ventilation (yes, even around that fuckin' poly spray). Cort shut them down the moment they unionized looking for better wages and/or conditions (seriously, or). Then they were in a position of really needing the work so they begged that lovely company to reopen their closed facilities. Not a universal problem in Korean manufacturing, but enough that it got to be too pricy for a lot of manufacturers who were ostensibly trying to use a "good" country to make their poo poo super cheap (because nationalism, imo - people have very "gut" reactions to Made in China).

There are some excellent factories in China in terms of quality control, they tend to have very new factories compared to the U.S. (lol I worked in a factory from the '60s and that poo poo was nightmarish, got so hot it'd throw the robots completely off and we'd have to fix a shitload of welds) - I see it as a problem of having generally great working stations but sometimes very frightening working conditions, and expectations from the folks paying the wage. People still line up in the Southern province factories anyway if there's an opening, but that's not especially optional from their perspective.

Wait nobody comes to the gear thread for that :smith: poo poo. Apologies! I'm glad that Schecter have improved the quality of their instruments again, because they had great guitars for a little while there, then suddenly didn't and it hosed up my whole perception of the brand. Pick up several adjacent $700-$1000 instruments made in China and they ALL want your blood (lol what is fret crowning) and looked like they'd been set up by somebody who had only ever heard of the concept of a guitar, never actually seen one... I mean the new locking tuners on the higher end models were cool but I've never had issues with my tuners, whereas that poo poo was unplayable and inexcusable at the time as far as I'm concerned.

The Bass VI has such a weird loadout hardware-wise... I'm factoring in a nut replacement for it as necessary if I go down that route, but I don't like the idea of that style bridge for a bass. I dunno, though, I need to find one local-ish and try it so I can quit talking poo poo and make a decision one way or another. I want an extended range bass very badly, or a Hellcat. I kinda think I ought to get a Hellcat just to know for sure whether I like it, since my whole thought process seems to be running "well I could get either a Hellcat or some other extended range bass idk" and I probably wouldn't be able to call out the Squier VI by name if it weren't pretty big lately. Hm.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 9, 2014

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Allen Wren posted:

Playing with other musicians is the best time, as well as the best way to learn and improve, so even if you don't feel comfortable gigging, you should at least try to jam with other people.

I've noticed that musicians who lack confidence like to apologize for their perceived lack of skill, and I always respond by reminding them that I'm not very good either. No one can feel ashamed if we all suck equally.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Agreed posted:

I've said the phrase "MIK is the new MIJ for import quality" before, back when Agiles first started getting big, PRS' QC for the SE series MIK was kicking rear end at the time (they still have really good quality control), Schecters back in like 2005-2008 (when I first started seeing Made in China pop up was 2009 iirc), but I am not /totally/ confident that it's true. Mainly because MIJ instruments tend to be so nice, and Korean manufacturing facilities are closer to Mexican ones in terms of working conditions, especially in the instrument world. Cort is the go-to example here: controlled 30%+ of the guitar market coming up to 2007, but put workers in conditions with exceptionally poor ventilation (yes, even around that fuckin' poly spray). Cort shut them down the moment they unionized looking for better wages and/or conditions (seriously, or). Then they were in a position of really needing the work so they begged that lovely company to reopen their closed facilities. Not a universal problem in Korean manufacturing, but enough that it got to be too pricy for a lot of manufacturers who were ostensibly trying to use a "good" country to make their poo poo super cheap (because nationalism, imo - people have very "gut" reactions to Made in China).

There are some excellent factories in China in terms of quality control, they tend to have very new factories compared to the U.S. (lol I worked in a factory from the '60s and that poo poo was nightmarish, got so hot it'd throw the robots completely off and we'd have to fix a shitload of welds) - I see it as a problem of having generally great working stations but sometimes very frightening working conditions, and expectations from the folks paying the wage. People still line up in the Southern province factories anyway if there's an opening, but that's not especially optional from their perspective.

Wait nobody comes to the gear thread for that :smith: poo poo. Apologies! I'm glad that Schecter have improved the quality of their instruments again, because they had great guitars for a little while there, then suddenly didn't and it hosed up my whole perception of the brand. Pick up several adjacent $700-$1000 instruments made in China and they ALL want your blood (lol what is fret crowning) and looked like they'd been set up by somebody who had only ever heard of the concept of a guitar, never actually seen one... I mean the new locking tuners on the higher end models were cool but I've never had issues with my tuners, whereas that poo poo was unplayable and inexcusable at the time as far as I'm concerned.

The Bass VI has such a weird loadout hardware-wise... I'm factoring in a nut replacement for it as necessary if I go down that route, but I don't like the idea of that style bridge for a bass. I dunno, though, I need to find one local-ish and try it so I can quit talking poo poo and make a decision one way or another. I want an extended range bass very badly, or a Hellcat. I kinda think I ought to get a Hellcat just to know for sure whether I like it, since my whole thought process seems to be running "well I could get either a Hellcat or some other extended range bass idk" and I probably wouldn't be able to call out the Squier VI by name if it weren't pretty big lately. Hm.

I feel kinda iffy on buying import guitars new other than from South Korean places since their collective bargaining thing

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

muike posted:

I feel kinda iffy on buying import guitars new other than from South Korean places since their collective bargaining thing

Same here (and I consider SK and Japan to be a substantially higher tier vs. China, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc,) although I have an easier time rationalizing purchasing cheaper stuff from China. The conditions for the worker on the $250 guitar and $1000 guitar are probably identical, but I can sympathize more with a company moving a product overseas and cutting costs substantially vs. moving it overseas, keeping the price the same and pocketing the difference.

At least any guitar no matter where it was made or what it is can ostensibly be used to create art. Why the gently caress do people pay $500 for the exact same mass market, commodity Made In China Coach handbag everyone else has?

FrankenVader
Sep 12, 2004
Polymer Records
Just bought EastWest Hollywood strings Gold.

hell...yes

(not me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQeRXbAwV4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVyoR5osoAk

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey look!

It's a Soul Food!

I bought it on saturday, but I only got time to actually play it on my rig today so I'll probably be back later to give some actual words regarding it.

Edit: Here's what I wrote about it on OSG:

quote:

In any case, I spent a good deal of time with it today and I must say I really enjoy the Soul Food.

To disclaim for clarity, the overdrive and overdrive-esque effects that I have spent the most time with are the Boss SD-1, EHX Hot Tubes Nano, Catalinbread Naga Viper, Zvex Box of Rock, and a ProCo Rat 2. Out of all of these stompboxes the one I found the most usable was the SD-1, the biggest reason why is that it worked with pretty much everything I had and it did everything I needed it to do gain-wise; but I never really gelled with how extreme the mid-hump was, some days I loved how boxey it sounded and others I needed more treble and bass. Meanwhile, the one I liked the second best was the Hot Tubes, I liked how it sounded different from almost anything else, and it still sounded good when the gain was cranked; but I didn't use it too often because it tended to be muddy depending which amp or guitar was into it.

The reason why I bring up the SD-1 and the Hot Tubes is because it highlights the two kinds of overdrives you can find; one's meant to push an preamp, and one's meant to provide a dirty sound. If you've been reading about the Soul Food or the Klon then you know that the number one claim is that it excels at the former. I can say personally that it is a great clean boost; on the other hand you can get a much cheaper clean boost with EHX's LPB-1, so why the Soul Food?

It's all in the 'Tone'.

I don't mean that in the 'warmth, tube-like, and harmonics' buzzword sense, I mean in the literal 'way it is voiced' sense. If you have one of these and a looper, do an experiment; kick in a muff or other dirt pedal, loop a simple chord progression with it, and then solo over it playing with the Soul Food. You'll find that it's easy to stand out in the mix with the pedal on, that's why a Soul Food is valuable. You can accomplish similar things with a Tubescreamer or other clones, that's part of why I liked the SD-1, but that leads into the second reason to like the Soul Food.

That reason is 'Transparent Overdrive'

With a Tubescreamer, there are two things that help it stand out in a mix; there is the whole extreme mid-hump aspect that everybody and their antediluvian piano teacher is familiar with, the second is the compression which helps keep that guitarist in a particular spot in the mix. This is why it became popular in the first place, and it's also why there are a lot of people looking for alternatives in this day-and-age where people play on things other than Blackface or Silverface Fenders. With the Soul Food, you don't get the boxey sound when playing with a Tubescreamer through a Vox; and you get the dynamics of playing with a naturally overdriven amp again while keeping the volume down (somewhat ;) ).

The most impressive aspect of the transparent overdrive is apparent when you do something dumb and play it through a modelling amp; the Soul Food literally works with every single piece of equipment!

I mean literally, I played it with all of my guitars into all of my amps, and every single one worked; from my Squier JMJM with antiquities to my Fender Pawn Shop '51. And as much as I hate to use this cliche, but it literally did make my normal 'clean' sound just louder and dirtier. Which made me realize something; why do we all clamour for tube amps for that 'beautiful tube overdrive' and then grind them with dirt pedals that change that sound entirely? I mean I understand why we don't crank Plexi's and Twins whenever we want, but it feels a bit silly to use Muffs, Tubescreamers, or Rat's and more-or-less ignore amp overdrive.

But I digress hypocritically, because I have also been experimenting with other dirt pedals with this thing and have found a few interesting things. With a Muff down chain, you can get a bit of the TS+Muff sound if you crank the gain to the point where the mids are pronounced. The Soul Food also works good after the Muff if you crank the gain to about 9 o'clock, it compresses the sound to where it's smooth but not muddy. My favorite use of the Soul Food (somewhat hypocritically) is as a boost into my Hot Tubes, I run my Soul Food as a dirty boost with the tone knob a bit past noon and then the Hot Tubes as a hot overdrive with volume at unity and the tone also a bit past noon. If I kick on the Soul Food on with the Hot Tubes I get an actually great 'not quite distortion, not quite fuzz' sound that still works well with whichever guitar or amp I kick in.

The only thing I didn't quite love with this pedal is that the pedals onboard dirt sounds are no great shakes, it's hard clipping for better-or-worse. It doesn't work well at all with a traditional solid-state amp because of this, a tube or good modelling amp will cover this up with their own clipping but don't expect it to be your only source of distortion.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Agreed posted:

Korea makes fine instruments but I'm not sure why every one that I touch feels like it has a half inch of poly on it. Even the ridiculously expensive Deusenbergs have that plastic feel to them.

And when MIJ is still relatively cheap and great....

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

umalt posted:

It's a Soul Food!

This is the corniest post I've ever seen in ML. :haw:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Korea makes fine instruments but I'm not sure why every one that I touch feels like it has a half inch of poly on it. Even the ridiculously expensive Deusenbergs have that plastic feel to them.

And when MIJ is still relatively cheap and great....

Yep. Also, it is really really thick, I finally got a look under it on accident (:qq:) when a dropped pedal hit a guitar with that poly. It dinged the guitar without actually making it through all of the finish, just most of it, even though the guitar is ostensibly a "natural" finish guitar, haha.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have pretty big issues with thick poly because of aging and resonance issues but I can't lie, my CV50s Tele is like a tank. I've whacked it so many times and it doesn't even dent. Considering it's soft pine I can't complain too much.

In related awesome Chinese made instrument news I'm charging my DSLR right now to take some photos of a new friend I acquired this morning. It's really something.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I have a Fender MIM FSR that has a surprisingly even and small poly coat. Loaned it to a buddy who has a modded Squier J he uses from time to time. He usually has a host of Warwick's he plays through but those things have necks for days and I can never play them well. Anyway, loaned him my Fender and he's been asking to buy it. Says it sounds way better, acoustically, than the Squier and has better definition as well. We attribute it to both the ash vs basswood and the lack of thick rear end poly.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So it's not particularly exciting, but it's still kinda cool! :shobon:

Never gotten any of my guitars in tune so fast before, I'll say that much. Now I need to build a pedalboard...

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

What does a badass, reliable, durable tuner go for nowadays anyway? $100? I've been toying around with the idea of getting that Tronical Tune system for so long, but $300... ehhhhh. But I guess if you take into account that you don't actually need a tuner anymore, then that kind of helps justify the price. Right?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Polyphonic tuners are in that range, as are most better single-note chromatic tuner pedals. The Korg seems to street for less than most, though, and you can find some listings on Reverb/eBay for under $60! I paid a little more for mine at a local shop, but I like to spend my money locally when possible. :)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I like the look of the new Korg Pitchblack Poly, I may snag one at some point, but I've been using the Polytune since they were released (now using V2) and have zero complaints.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Most tuner pedals will get you more or less in tune so if you're not intonating something why not go with what looks the coolest

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, we've had solid pedal tuners for ages now. A mediocre tuner that works directly on the signal and listens for one note at a time? +/-1 cent. And that's not getting into the cool tech that's emerged since. Even intonation isn't hard with one of those, especially if you use your amazing super power of "being able to hear and also play at the same time WOAH" since you can pretty much tell where it sits with a +/- 1 cent tuner. Of course, if you want to lay down a hundred bucks and get a super badass polyphonic tuner or a .01 cent tuner or something then more power to you! But in general, at least since Planet Waves got into the gig with their Chrome Chromatic back in like 2008, tuner pedals have damned near been a commodity purchase and essentially fungible until you approach them from a different angle

Even then, unless you're literally a robot with extreme precision - and they do actually make those for tuning, which is just cool as heck - you're not gonna convince conventional guitar or bass tuning pegs to land anywhere close to the perfect .01 cent. Even fancy bridges and fully locked up systems will skew out of THAT degree of precision just due to playing the damned thing for ten minutes, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Lil' tuning tip from your uncle Bort (well really Jack Endino): switch to the neck pickup, roll off the tone if you have one, and pluck at the 12th fret. You're welcome.

Also Peterson makes a strobe stompbox that's totally tits.