Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

catlord posted:

Why did the pre-N52 Batgirl collections not have numbers on their spines? I seem to remember other collections didn't either, but Batgirl stood out to me for a few reasons.

ALmost nothing did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Batman and Robin (pre-N52) doesn't either.

On another note, what was the consensus on Zero Year? Worth picking up in trades when it comes out?

Only if you have the rest of Snyder/Capullos run because the stuff in Zero Year is mentioned suprisingly often early on in the run.

gently caress its fantastic, though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah as a huge fan of Year One and all that early years Batman that came out in the 80s and 90s I had held off on zero year for a long time. I finally caved and read it and it might really be better than Year One.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I wouldn't say it's better than Year One, just because I hold up Year One to such a high standard but it was really drat good and this is coming from someone that wasn't feeling either Court of Owls or Death in the Family.

It really does manage to do an interesting, modern, Batman origin story and most importantly makes it feel fresh. The bit with Alfred at the end as well is such a ridiculously well done gut punch.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

As far as I can recall you could do the #0 issue and Zero Year without reading the rest of the series.

edit: Action Comics #25 is worth a look as a tie-in. It contributes nothing really. It's just shirt and jeans Superman helping during a big storm that features in ZY, but it's a great issue and the start of Pak's run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 11, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reading Zero Year made me admit to myself that I'm actually tired of reading about Batman fighting mobsters. It was a hard thing to do. Thanks to this thread for praising it so much, that's what finally got me to read it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Zero Year is fantastic. It's my favorite Batman story Snyder has done.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Chris Sims over at ComicAlliance put it pretty well when he said that Batman Year One is a Batman story written by a Cleveland guy who had just come to New York in the 80's and got mugged. Zero Year is written from a post 9/11 world perspective. While both origin stories, they are like two different time capsules. I loved Zero Year though, even if it was as realistic as Year One, and the Capullo artwork was amazing (ditto for the colouring).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

redbackground posted:

Clarification as to why this happened: The original trade releases left out a bunch of issues because DC. When they were re-relased (first in hardcover, than softcover, both with large yellow titles/credits at the tops and bottoms of the front covers to differentiate them from the original trades) all the issues were finally collected (yay!), so arcs got moved further and further downstream, and the new volumes did not line up with the old versions (since a bunch of issues were added back in). If you order new copies of the trades like from Amazon, you will get the best versions, so that's good--just avoid the old trades.

Thanks for this. My local shop at both versions for some reason so I went by the later publication date. Good to know I made the right choice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

First look of Gotham Academy art

http://karlkerschl.com/post/94447340122/olive-and-maps-in-the-hot-seat-coloured-panel

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
By the way, Gerry Duggan quitting 'Arkham Manor' after only six issues apparently came from Scott Snyder himself. He frequently visits my local comic shop and he told them about it the last time he was there. Story is that he was pissed off at how DC functions compared to Marvel, considering he's been doing Deadpool for three years now without a complaint.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Can't wait to read his five issues and then bug him on twitter about what happened on the issue six that was redone by the new writer without him knowing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
From what I understand, it's now going to be a miniseries of six issues rather than continue with another writer. 'Arkham Manor' was idea to begin with, so I guess the least DC could do is let him end it the way he wants instead of yanking it away from him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Scott Snyder holding a bean spilling comic shop guy in complete confidence over something like that sounds a little fishy to me.

E: Arkham Manor sounds like a short-lived thing anyway. I assume keeping inmates in Batman's house isn't a permanent idea.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 11, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Scott Snyder holding a bean spilling comic shop guy in complete confidence over something like that sounds a little fishy to me.

It sounds fishy to me as well, but everyone including the owner were talking about it, and Snyder is there like once a month.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
EDIT: Sorry wrong thread.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Man by the end of the year the excluding some junk like Red Hood the Bat-line will probably be the best of the big two.

quote:

Gotham By Midnight tells the story of the Gotham City Police Department’s horror beat, the “midnight shift” that deals with monsters, ghosts, and a creepier class of creep. The book is headlined by a familiar name from the Bat-universe, Detective Jim Corrigan — who happens to be host to the vengeful divine force The Spectre. It sounds like Gotham By Midnight has the potential to be a very left-of-center Gotham Central.
In an interview with Blastr, Fawkes described the book’s tone as gothic and melancholy. “There are a lot of stories that will be more supernatural than horror, but when you get down to the core of it, the things these characters face and the decisions they have to make are the kinds of things you’d see in a really great horror story.”
Fawkes also revealed that supernatural elements in Gotham may be a contributing factor to the city’s sinister weirdness. “Gotham City is a pretty sick place, and also a wonderful place; one of the greatest cities in the DC Universe. The tact that some of the characters in this book take is that people like The Joker, Two-Face and Batman may be symptoms of something wrong with Gotham, and that may have a supernatural root. For me, the city is very Gothic, dark and shadowy, and it’s sort of the perfect setting for things that creep in the night.”
The Spectre will make appearances in the series, but only when Corrigan gets things wrong and it’s time to call in the nuclear option. The rest of the cast includes new characters Detective Justine Drake (wears a choker; has a Dracula name) Dr. Szandor Tarr (scientist, probably mad), and religious consultant Sister Justine (nun, definitely scary).

source

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

Man by the end of the year the excluding some junk like Red Hood the Bat-line will probably be the best of the big two.
source

Red Hood is edited by the Superman office for some reason though :v:

I'm a little peeved at the Spectre changes though, they're ignoring everything DeMatties set up on the Dark line just to turn Corrigan into a Constantine lite.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

This sounds like the kind of comic that would be right up my alley, but is this the same writer who wrote Corrigan in Batman Eternal? I didn't much care for his depiction there, what little I read of it, but it does seems like they will be going for a different tone for this comic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

source

Definitely spanning out of Eternal and using Eternal as springboard. Good move. I am rather hit and miss with Fawkes though, so I might give it one or two issues before deciding to commit to it fully.
Seems like the Bat office is going into overdrive with new titles covering different territory. If the Batman titles become there own little corner universe divorced from the rest of DCU I would be quite happy.
As it stands I am already buying Batman and Grayson. Look forward to adding Batgirl, Gotham Academy.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

It's a shame Ray Fawkes had been so boring on jld, Constantine and pandora. This looks like a book I'd love but I've yet to read a good book by Fawkes.

Having said that, Doyle should be in charge of all the lines if he's the reason the Batfamily has gotten this interesting .

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

It's a shame Ray Fawkes had been so boring on jld, Constantine and pandora. This looks like a book I'd love but I've yet to read a good book by Fawkes.

Having said that, Doyle should be in charge of all the lines if he's the reason the Batfamily has gotten this interesting .
Yeah, I haven't read anything by him that's been super interesting. It's a nice concept, but I am not going to be surprised if the execution does not live up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Yeah, I haven't read anything by him that's been super interesting. It's a nice concept, but I am not going to be surprised if the execution does not live up.

Same here, but a DC book getting me to give it a chance is a step in the right direction.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Same here, but a DC book getting me to give it a chance is a step in the right direction.
Agreed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd be really interested in that book if I didn't know DC would ruin anything good about it within less than 12 issues.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
"Rubber lasers. Honest."

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003
Does Batman only have one hand in that picture?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Who's the one on the left? Cullen?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Who's Lark?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

What the gently caress is this? Bat-Dredd?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It looks kind of like Morrison's re-imagining of the Batman of the 31st Century. I can't find a better image than the one below, which is from the "Time and the Batman" trade.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It has to be from the next Batman arc, which jumps forward to take place after Eternal, and in B-Man #28 we already saw Harper as this character on the right with a big ol' electricity rifle, probably similar to what Batman's holding.

Snyder hates contemporary settings and Batman sleeves.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Snyder hates contemporary settings and Batman sleeves.

Mad Max Batman is the best Batman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Surprised that no one's talking about Duggan's Batman issue, it was pretty drat good and the art complemented it perfectly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Surprised that no one's talking about Duggan's Batman issue, it was pretty drat good and the art complemented it perfectly.

I had no idea Duggan did an issue outside of the upcoming 'Arkham Manor'. What was it?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I had no idea Duggan did an issue outside of the upcoming 'Arkham Manor'. What was it?
Batman 34, the new one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Batman 34

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thanks, I appreciate it. While I wait for Zero Year to come out in softcover, I've been catching up on Batman '66 and working my way through Gotham Central and Black & White.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I really enjoyed Batman #34. The ending panel was really freaky though. I also have a quick question for the thread. For the New 52 Batman I've read: Court of Owls, Night of Owls, City of Owls and Death of the Family trades. I read Year Zero on an issue by issue basis. Maybe it's because I didn't start reading individual issues until Year Zero but why is Jim Gordon in jail?

• Locked thread