Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nimby posted:

Novacek makes a good point. Why would the Sawmill have 3 big brutish guys working the night shift all by themselves? Especially when the 3 guys had no problem fighting huge demon-like bats.
What do you think the "night shift" is about, hm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Planchett's got three red knucklemarks :ohdear:

plus a fourth perpendicular but that's less fun

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The old lady is no doubt evil somehow or whatever but I like how she can just poo poo all over the more annoying characters' gimmicks.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'm worried that someday, Planchett is going to be right--and nobody listens. (Or they listen but eat him alive for opposing the Broodhollow hivemind)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Isquith seems to know more than she's letting on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How else would you think you get to grow old in Broodhollow :unsmigghh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The snowflake blocking the exact year he died is a nice touch.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Well that's interesting.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
hooooly poo poo.

Well this particular rabbit hole just keeps going deeper huh. Does anyone remember the page when Iris's hem was introduced? Can't find it.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Holy poo poo, even by grizzled sage standards Granny Isquith is loving hardcore.

I guess the men's club acts as a similar coping mechanism, then? Although they seem unconcerned about remembering. Hell, even their symbol, crossed spades over a skull, suggests the burying of secrets.

Also, have fun being the latest cog in Broodhollow's insane workings, Mr. Author-man.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Now we have a name for it! Wonder if this means Angstrom and Wadsworth can act as the "hem" for each other, or maybe Iris and Wadsworth.

Speaking of Angstrom, the second panel reminds me of this panel here. The difference seems to be that Angstrom is basically talking to himself.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man that town is hosed up

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, why don't they just move to that nice, pleasant nearby town of Ichor Falls?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Took a chance on this, and have spent all night catching up (good thing I wasn't planning on sleeping anyways, because oh boy this webcomic). Happy to say I have discovered my new favorite thing: disarmingly twee, dipping into a sickly sweetness, and then at any moment the bottom falls out for those :tviv: moments.

Topical to the newest page: Mrs. Isquith just went from "awesome as hell" status to "jesus christ :stare:".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

First Bass posted:

Topical to the newest page: Mrs. Isquith just went from "awesome as hell" status to "jesus christ :stare:".

Did this not already convince you?

If anything I think the latest strip absolves her. Before it seemed like she might be behind things, but now she's just an old woman in a nightmarish situation doing what she can.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

WickedHate posted:

Did this not already convince you?

If anything I think the latest strip absolves her. Before it seemed like she might be behind things, but now she's just an old woman in a nightmarish situation doing what she can.

I'm really glad she's turning out as she is - at the start it was so heavy-handed that she was a mysterious, suspicious character that it would have been a let down for her to turn out to be a baddy. It's so much better for her to not really be the all-knowing guru, but rather someone who has lived a long, long time in a twisted town, and learned to see things in that kind of elderly pragmatic "poo poo happens, poo poo has always happened, if you think it's bad now you should have seen how it was" way.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's rather "how it's been at times"

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Whoa what

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
:staredog:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I think he needs a new back massager.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:ese: let's go

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So I think this could still be a red herring, partly because otherwise the dream sequences would be a red herring--unless they're metaphorical, I guess--but mostly because Zane's going through all this terror and he still hasn't recovered any additional memories. Unless that's what the next comic's about.

But whether it is or not, Dr. Angstrom was just sent to check in on Zane. Maybe his "I'm sure there's a perfectly rational explanation" attitude will apply to walking in on him clutching a blood-soaked instrument, or maybe it won't matter and Zane will panic and stab him either way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The font colours in panel 4 disturb me greatly.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm still not getting how violently assaulting someone for no reason would be the conclusion you'd jump to for "I need to be really really scared".

And this is with me willfully ignoring the fact that he's already revealed the stupid 3-fanged worm things that obviously did it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fabricated posted:

I'm still not getting how violently assaulting someone for no reason would be the conclusion you'd jump to for "I need to be really really scared".

And this is with me willfully ignoring the fact that he's already revealed the stupid 3-fanged worm things that obviously did it.

Have those ever been shown to be anything more than scribbles on paper? Because you're doing some serious conclusion jumping if not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Based on the imagery I'm pretty sure the angleworm is hiding in somebody; possibly Wadsworth, possibly somebody else.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Rand Brittain posted:

Based on the imagery I'm pretty sure the angleworm is hiding in somebody; possibly Wadsworth, possibly somebody else.

and he used the cork puller to try and get it out? makes sense

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

RickoniX posted:

Ooooh that's going to be an unpleasant memory if it's ever shown. How many holes were on the bodies?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Have you tried reading the red text in thought-bubbles as Not Zane? They've always seemed to me like intruding thoughts from some hitchhiking entity. Such as the one that bursts out of his body in that most recent dream, using Zane himself as bait.

Even if those red-colored thoughts aren't literally from some monster, they've always had the pattern of butting into Zane's thought process while he's trying to reassure himself that he didn't do the murder. Every time he starts to realize the common-sense stuff you're saying, that line of thought interrupts and keeps him freaked out.

In this most recent comic, the red-text and the normal-text thoughts start to blend together, but that's part of what made it so unnerving to me.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

Have you tried reading the red text in thought-bubbles as Not Zane? They've always seemed to me like intruding thoughts from some hitchhiking entity. Such as the one that bursts out of his body in that most recent dream, using Zane himself as bait.

That's how I've been reading it too, although it could be either in this comic. I think the thing is, if you read it that way, you also have to accept that the entity has also forgotten exactly what happened. Which would be a pretty cool wrinkle, admittedly, but Harker seemed to have his memory totally intact. The other problem is that one gag where Zane shouted "what did I do in the woods" and thought "what am I doing this afternoon", which suggests that they're both his voice.

RickoniX posted:

Except his wound is a laceration--a slice, rather than a stab.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe everyone in Broodhollow has one of these things? Zane just happened to get a slightly different one. Or his body is rejecting it since he got it later in life. And so it's terrified.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It's interesting to me that Zane discovered that fear can bring the memories back, but then immediately afterward, he seemed to become infected with this worm. Since acquiring it, every time he's afraid, instead of memories, he gets more of this sinister worm. It's like whatever causes the memory loss is countered by fear, and the worm feeds on fear. By having the two predatory entities working together, they keep the town in a perpetual state of forgetful bliss. One eating the memories, and the other feeding on the fear.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm reading it as "the red voice is the stuff that Zane is suppressing, and the two fonts merge when it finally emerges into his conscious mind."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Before someone gets hurt.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Zane is just a huge wino who has blackouts and confabulates memories of his friends with bottle openers. This will all work ou-*gets stabbed by Zane*

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Who could have ever seen that coming?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

For a minute I thought it was Zane lying there. Which would have been a nice twist.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Good news! Zane now know's he's not the killer.

Right?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh no Kris killed off Mikey. I knew it was only a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why would that guy walk off into the forest again instead of directly back to town?

• Locked thread