Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How do I not die to the Ancient Dragon? I'm trying the max fire resist strategy and his claw stomp attack still one shots me (even with health bar hax active wtf)

If fire doesn't do any damage to you, just hit him with bow shots. Or, if he's doing the horizontal fire breath sweep, poke his head while he's doing that. The hardest part of the fight by far is that his fire attacks can kill you easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Tae posted:

If fire doesn't do any damage to you, just hit him with bow shots. Or, if he's doing the horizontal fire breath sweep, poke his head while he's doing that. The hardest part of the fight by far is that his fire attacks can kill you easily.

Alright, I'll give a ranged strategy a go. Poison arrows I guess? Or maybe Lightning.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He has really high lightning resistance.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Really not sure how to deal with buffed spears and rapiers these days in PVP, they seem to do obscene amounts of damage, like enough to kill in 3-4 hits yet they have no aiming disadvantage or downtime between swings.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Daynab posted:

Really not sure how to deal with buffed spears and rapiers these days in PVP, they seem to do obscene amounts of damage, like enough to kill in 3-4 hits yet they have no aiming disadvantage or downtime between swings.

Parry or get your own spear.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Daynab posted:

I use a spear primarily in pvp and I'm not really that great so I found that I get wrecked by people who can parry or who can poise through a 2 handed spear hit and trade.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't really engage in PvP but I'm getting invaded fairly regularly about once an hour, and so far all of the invaders except for two people were guys who lagged so much that I was just standing, looking for them only to get backstabbed by someone who teleported behind me. And I thought I left that behind when I disabled the cross-region play. I wish you could only get matched to someone with a similar latency because holy poo poo. Luckily I'm wearing the Ring of Life Protection 24/7 now so it only sets me back a little.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

lordfrikk posted:

And I thought I left that behind when I disabled the cross-region play.

That's probably making it worse, actually, since that option is actually 'Japan' or 'Not Japan'.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How do I not die to the Ancient Dragon? I'm trying the max fire resist strategy and his claw stomp attack still one shots me (even with health bar hax active wtf)
Walk to his left foot (your right), stand between his toes on the right hand side (your left) and whack him.
If he raises his foot dodge the stomp and get back into position, if he flies just try to stay under his tail's shadow and get back into position. If he breaths fire below/beside him laugh because it shouldn't hit you.

Might take 1-2 tries to get the rhythm down.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

I use a spear primarily in pvp and I'm not really that great so I found that I get wrecked by people who can parry or who can poise through a 2 handed spear hit and trade.

2 handed spears aren't poisable you're dealing with animation hyperarmor or just plain old lag there.

Daynab posted:

In my experience Spear/Rapier builds ever only spam one attack, occasionally a combo. If you can figure out parry,roll bs, or backstep attack timings they die pretty easy. Alternatively you can play for time to either run their buff out or to make them aggressive and careless so they run into your standard attacks.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Daynab posted:

You should be able to roll to your opponent's left side to evade his attacks. Spears have poor tracking so they can't combo if you can get to their off-hand side after they attack

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, boss soul weapons. I want to make a character based around one, because they're awesome and I didn't get to use any of them in my first runthrough (pure sorceror; my equivalent DS1 character had the Moonlight Butterfly Horn as a sidearm, but since DS2 doesn't have an equivalent I went for the Enchanted Falchion).

What weapons would people suggest? I was probably going to go for a predominantly Strength-based build, but I'm not necessarily married to the idea. Are there any weapons people especially like, or think would be an interesting playstyle for someone who hasn't really experimented with anything DS2's introduced that isn't in sorcery?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 11, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Cleretic posted:

So, boss soul weapons. I want to make a character based around one, because they're awesome and I didn't get to use any of them in my first runthrough (pure sorceror; my equivalent DS1 character had the Moonlight Butterfly Horn as a sidearm, but since DS2 doesn't have an equivalent I went for the Enchanted Falchion).

What weapons would people suggest? I was probably going to go for a predominantly Strength-based build, but I'm not necessarily married to the idea. Are there any weapons people especially like, or think would be an interesting playstyle for someone who hasn't really experimented with anything DS2's introduced that isn't magic?

Well, the Iron Keep boss souls make STR weapons.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think Veldstat's hammer is cool, but you don't get that until way late. Dragonslayer spear is petty cool too, although the damage isn't particularly good.

The Gargoyle Bident has good AR and is str based, and you can get it pretty quickly, maybe that?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've actually been messing around with the Curved Dragon Greatsword, and I like it a lot. I wanted to try a dex build that wasn't just fast weapons like katanas or daggers, so I started out with the Murakumo, which I like, but the scaling on that sucks. CDG requires a lot of strength, but has B/S scaling at +5, so it works out in the end.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
What is the best place for super high SM co-op in NG? I want to get the Sun Sword but obviously the Ruin Sentinels aren't going to get any bites at 20 million SM.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

How the hell did you manage 20 million in regular NG. :v:
I guess your best bet is going to be throne of want.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I doupt anyone is in NG anymore at 20 mil SM. At least in NG+ and above you can co-op with anyone.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Minorkos posted:

You should be able to roll to your opponent's left side to evade his attacks. Spears have poor tracking so they can't combo if you can get to their off-hand side after they attack

Be careful of lovely lag hotboxes when this happens since I've gotten poked right next to their side. Rapiers are the same way without lag bullshit so the best defense is roll around them like an idiot forever then occasionally attack.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Cleretic posted:

What weapons would people suggest? I was probably going to go for a predominantly Strength-based build, but I'm not necessarily married to the idea. Are there any weapons people especially like, or think would be an interesting playstyle for someone who hasn't really experimented with anything DS2's introduced that isn't in sorcery?

Yorgh's spear and the butcher knife aren't particularly good but they're pretty different from any normal weapon so fun to use. Yorgh's spear is in the DLC, butcher knife is from the Rotten so you can get is pretty early.

Most boss weapons are just normal weapons but bigger or normal weapons that shoot laser beams.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I fell in love with the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword this playthrough. It has a unique moveset for it's one-handed R1- if you land the overhead, you can keep mashing R1 and keep them stunlocked until you run out of stamina. Also if you're powerstancing Ultra Greatswords, you can combo the Pursuer's R1 into the powerstance L1. At like 8.5 mil soul memory if I land that on somebody in PvP, odds are like 50/50 that they're just going to drop right there. :madmax:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Yorgh's spear and the butcher knife aren't particularly good but they're pretty different from any normal weapon so fun to use. Yorgh's spear is in the DLC, butcher knife is from the Rotten so you can get is pretty early.

Most boss weapons are just normal weapons but bigger or normal weapons that shoot laser beams.

So wrong :toughguy:
It kinda sorta sucks for a bunch of enemies (if it doesn't stagger the enemy, you're wide open) but it's almost as if it's made specifically to murder bosses. As I said earlier in this thread, I managed to kill the Smelter Demon in seconds with it. The two-hand R1 combo does an absolute ton of damage to large enemies like bosses.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Someone write up a tier list of weapons tia

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's only two tiers, trident dance and lame bullshit. I hope the DLC adds more dance party options.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's only two tiers, trident dance and lame bullshit. I hope the DLC adds more dance party options.

They need to add an actual bell ringing sound to the Sacred Chime Hammer so that you can form a rudimentary song-and-dance traveling show. Maybe the people of Drangleic just want to be entertained :shobon:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I retooled my stats in ng+ and I'm having a rough time. I have 50 int, I'm using the 50 int staff and none of my magic is doing anything but laughable damage. I could probably use every offensive spell I have and MAYBE kill one of the first dlc dudes. Is there a trick to this?

Also, the graverobber three boss - I'd I do it without summons do they have less life like with the Queen boss? Should I just solo them? Because fuuuuuuucking hell.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Someone write up a tier list of weapons tia

Somebody on the internet did that already, though aimed at PvP. It's not perfect, but from my experience it's fairly accurate for the most part. I certainly tend to see the higher tier weapons a lot more, and I get wrecked by them more often.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I retooled my stats in ng+ and I'm having a rough time. I have 50 int, I'm using the 50 int staff and none of my magic is doing anything but laughable damage. I could probably use every offensive spell I have and MAYBE kill one of the first dlc dudes. Is there a trick to this?

Also, the graverobber three boss - I'd I do it without summons do they have less life like with the Queen boss? Should I just solo them? Because fuuuuuuucking hell.

What magic are you using? I recently went through to NG++ with a similar build, and NG+ felt like a joke to me, while using mainly Soul Spears, Soul Greatsword, some Great Heavy Soul Arrows for trash. Then I mixed Crystal or Great Magic Weapon buffed fast melee weapons, using Crystal for bosses or PvP and Great for trash. Bosses were generally really easy, though no idea about the Ganksquad boss. Only done that as 3v3.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
(edit) Reply is not edit

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Attestant posted:

Somebody on the internet did that already, though aimed at PvP. It's not perfect, but from my experience it's fairly accurate for the most part. I certainly tend to see the higher tier weapons a lot more, and I get wrecked by them more often.

No wonder I did so well with just that Fire Longsword I picked up in the first area, I eventually changed it to Lightning but despite using a bunch of different weapons occasionally, in the end I always went back to that trusty ol' thing. :3:

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

THE loving MOON posted:

I fell in love with the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword this playthrough. It has a unique moveset for it's one-handed R1- if you land the overhead, you can keep mashing R1 and keep them stunlocked until you run out of stamina. Also if you're powerstancing Ultra Greatswords, you can combo the Pursuer's R1 into the powerstance L1. At like 8.5 mil soul memory if I land that on somebody in PvP, odds are like 50/50 that they're just going to drop right there. :madmax:

I want to do this. How much strength is needed for that sort of build? Also, what's the best off hand ultra great sword? Been enjoying poison cestuses and lightning maces lately so this would be a nice change of pace.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Those tier lists are retarded fyi.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Genocyber posted:

Those tier lists are retarded fyi.

I think it's pretty reasonable to some degree but trying to nail it down to anything other than "this weapon is always statistically better than this one" and very broad generalisations such as some weapon classes typically being better suited to PvP than others is really silly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I think it's pretty reasonable to some degree but trying to nail it down to anything other than "this weapon is always statistically better than this one" and very broad generalisations such as some weapon classes typically being better suited to PvP than others is really silly.

It has a lot of stupid placements like MLGS and the Key to the Embedded being "low tier." I do like the text overlayed on the Pick-Axe tho.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

nohopeindope posted:

I want to do this. How much strength is needed for that sort of build? Also, what's the best off hand ultra great sword? Been enjoying poison cestuses and lightning maces lately so this would be a nice change of pace.

I'm not sure offhand how much you need since I'm out on my phone, but it's a lot. You'd might as well go whole hog and take 50 str and ~30 dex. I use the big (Ultra)Greatsword offhand uninfused, dark on the pursuers. Catching someone with the L1 as they come out of a roll gets me so hard.

Take a lot of vigor and vitality as well, you're gonna have to trade a lot. Both of mine are at 50.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Speaking of tiers. Does anyone have any good builds to use the Black Knight Greatsword (Weird to call it that) or the Dragon Slayer's Spear? For old time's sake.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Genocyber posted:

It has a lot of stupid placements like MLGS and the Key to the Embedded being "low tier." I do like the text overlayed on the Pick-Axe tho.

Isn't Key to the Embedded strictly worse than Drangleic/Mirrah/whatever GS that has the same moveset?

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm not sure offhand how much you need since I'm out on my phone, but it's a lot. You'd might as well go whole hog and take 50 str and ~30 dex. I use the big (Ultra)Greatsword offhand uninfused, dark on the pursuers. Catching someone with the L1 as they come out of a roll gets me so hard.

Take a lot of vigor and vitality as well, you're gonna have to trade a lot. Both of mine are at 50.

Oh ok. I'm only at 40 str, 25 Dex, 20 vigor, and 15 vit. Got a long way to go. Time to farm iron king

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

verybad posted:

Isn't Key to the Embedded strictly worse than Drangleic/Mirrah/whatever GS that has the same moveset?

So impossibly wrong

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verybad posted:

Nope. ~60 less damage at 40/40, but 150 Counter bonus compared to 120 (or less for other greatswords). Especially deadly when combined with the Old Leo Ring and its 1handed r2 (which is a thrust). Plus it's really light, being only 4 units heavy. It's a shame it's not available earlier in the game, would make a fantastic PVE weapon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

nohopeindope posted:

Oh ok. I'm only at 40 str, 25 Dex, 20 vigor, and 15 vit. Got a long way to go. Time to farm iron king

You can do it with less vigor (I still recommend high vigor though), but yeah you're definitely going to need a lot more vit. Ultras are heavy as balls, if you want to use them effectively and still wear good armor without fatrolling, you're gonna need at least like 40, along with royal soldiers ring and third dragon ring.