Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Stay safe Let's Play

I hope Lowtax saves the forums for his LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Geop posted:

Yeah, I noticed since Search came up that there's nothing really past early May in the results. Wasn't clear what the cause was, but maybe this is somehow tied to it?

Thanks for the heads-up, jawbroken. I'll make a sticky thread/warning for now.

Thanks, a sticky thread would be good. Feel free to quote my post in there; I spent literally minutes photoshopping flame text and rehosting animated gifs. And yes, search and “who posted” are broken in an identical way.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

jawbroken posted:

I spent literally minutes photoshopping flame text and rehosting animated gifs.
You now have to LP Emergency. :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Thank you for legalising bumping, Geop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pierzak posted:

You now have to LP Emergency. :v:

Or State of Emergency.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Could the archives be renamed to the langoliers for the time being?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey since my last LP died I figured it's time to start looking at the next one I want to start. Since it's summer vacation for me right now, I thought it would be appropriate to play My Summer Vacation 4 (Boku no Natsu Yasumi 4) for the PSP. I want to do a super-informative LP of it with tons of information on Japanese culture (especially from the perspective of 1985 when the game takes place), as well as all the natural stuff like the insects, fish and other things that show up in the game.

Now for the wildlife and certain things I figure I can do my own research, but what I'd really like is a co-commentator (it's going to be a screenshot LP so what I mean is someone to help contribute to the thread) that has a lot of knowledge of Japanese culture and maybe also of the time period if that's possible. If you also know a lot about fish and bugs that'll be a nice bonus.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Batman thread is up, thanks for the feedback.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20166

Test post for Cosmology of Kyoto SSLP.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Game looks interesting. Your update's a little vanilla and left me with questions like "what happens if you say no?" or "what if you don't take the clothes?"

If you don't want to go a comprehensive route (it's your rodeo), I think your updates could stand to be a little longer/meatier.

But the game looks cool and I appreciate the effort you put in with GIFs, etc.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

slowbeef posted:

Game looks interesting. Your update's a little vanilla and left me with questions like "what happens if you say no?" or "what if you don't take the clothes?"

If you don't want to go a comprehensive route (it's your rodeo), I think your updates could stand to be a little longer/meatier.

But the game looks cool and I appreciate the effort you put in with GIFs, etc.

I'll add in personal notes but the events are really linear. You have to take the clothes to proceed and telling him no gets you basically the same dialog but he doesn't give you the sword. Not getting the sword influences one or two events but nothing major, it's a really straightforward game.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

al-azad posted:

I was hoping someone would LP this game. It's really one-of-a-kind.

Your test post looks fine to me.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

al-azad posted:

Your test post is a little bland in my opinion, it's pretty much a description of events with little in the way of substantial commentary. Everything's technically sound though.

If this is what you're going for, then fair enough, I'd read this LP anyway because this sort of game is totally my jam.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Hey since my last LP died I figured it's time to start looking at the next one I want to start. Since it's summer vacation for me right now, I thought it would be appropriate to play My Summer Vacation 4 (Boku no Natsu Yasumi 4) for the PSP. I want to do a super-informative LP of it with tons of information on Japanese culture (especially from the perspective of 1985 when the game takes place), as well as all the natural stuff like the insects, fish and other things that show up in the game.

Now for the wildlife and certain things I figure I can do my own research, but what I'd really like is a co-commentator (it's going to be a screenshot LP so what I mean is someone to help contribute to the thread) that has a lot of knowledge of Japanese culture and maybe also of the time period if that's possible. If you also know a lot about fish and bugs that'll be a nice bonus.

The entire series is somewhere down my list of Games to LP Someday, and I would certainly love to help any way you'd want me to as they're favorites of mine. My own idea was to do the entire series from the beginning (well, PSP remakes of 1 and 2 because they add material and tweak stuff), but since they're not really connected going straight to 4 can work just as well.

The strategy guides for the games have a lot of good material in them and can be bought cheaply if you scour Book Offs in Japan. I just saw the one for 4 at my local store this past weekend, but couldn't remember if I had it already or not so I left it on the shelf...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Your test post is a little bland in my opinion, it's pretty much a description of events with little in the way of substantial commentary. Everything's technically sound though.

If this is what you're going for, then fair enough, I'd read this LP anyway because this sort of game is totally my jam.

Here's the thing, the game has no real gameplay beyond watching the animated events so most of my posts will be image heavy and text light.

I wanted to save all the reference documents and commentary as a separate post but would it be better to combine them from the get go?

Example: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=20169

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

al-azad posted:

Here's the thing, the game has no real gameplay beyond watching the animated events so most of my posts will be image heavy and text light.

So make jokes, observations, etc. Read other lps and are what makes their commentary good outside of telling you what's happening and why.

quote:

I wanted to save all the reference documents and commentary as a separate post but would it be better to combine them from the get go?

Not really working. It doesn't help that you mechanically insert them with text like "train concept art".

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

al-azad posted:

I've always wanted to do an LP of this game, but never really found a good way of doing it.

You can't really plow through it like an adventure game cause you lose all neat nuances within the game.

I think the game would work best in a hybrid format. The creepy atmosphere and VO adds a lot.
The encyclopedia entries would need to be woven in as well, and summarized where applicable.

To me Cosmology of Kyoto was more about just immersing myself in the world and trying to absorb it bit by bit through exploration and browsing the huge encyclopedia that comes with it.

What you posted mostly looks OK in a technical sense and I appreciate the work put into the gifs, but I don't feel really captures what the game is trying to show you. It's too by the numbers.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 13, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

al-azad posted:

I like this better, don't know why you'd withhold this sort of information from the reader for a separate post instead of just putting it where it's relevant in the LP to help with the otherwise text-light presentation and potentially confusing subject matter.

Combine from get go definitely seems to be the way forward.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hello thread, I have a question about video splitting. I am starting a Dead Space LP soon, and for those who haven't played it: The game is broken up into titled chapters; the chapters vary in length, the shortest being about 20 minutes and the longest being upward of 45 minutes, close to an hour. My question is, simply, would it be better to split the longer chapters into parts or just keep them as one single video? The multiple-part chapters would be contained in a single post and would not be split up into multiple updates.

Here's a quick MSpaint diagram to show what I mean:

I'm apprehensive about posting a video that's almost an hour long but do we live in a technological age where people don't care about video length anymore? Opinions, please.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think we're at the point where 30-45 minute videos for a good LP aren't really a problem for most viewers. It's not like a 2 hour epic thing.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Either one works. I have seen both as often as the other and I have no preference, and I don't think anyone will care too strongly one way or the other. Just stay consistent and try not to cut the videos in jarring places, obviously.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
So I know

a) I don't do LPs anymore
b) We don't reserve LPs

But John Romero just announced his first new FPS in 14 years and if any of you motherfuckers even think about LPing it I will loving cut you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Proteus4994 posted:

But John Romero just announced his first new FPS in 14 years and if any of you motherfuckers even think about LPing it I will loving cut you.

This makes me want to do it even more. Your plan has backfired.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Proteus4994 posted:

So I know

a) I don't do LPs anymore
b) We don't reserve LPs

Finish Bulletstorm you jerk

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Tin Tim posted:

Finish Bulletstorm you jerk

I'll finish it when Romero's game comes out.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Hello thread, I have a question about video splitting. I am starting a Dead Space LP soon, and for those who haven't played it: The game is broken up into titled chapters; the chapters vary in length, the shortest being about 20 minutes and the longest being upward of 45 minutes, close to an hour. My question is, simply, would it be better to split the longer chapters into parts or just keep them as one single video? The multiple-part chapters would be contained in a single post and would not be split up into multiple updates.

Here's a quick MSpaint diagram to show what I mean:

I'm apprehensive about posting a video that's almost an hour long but do we live in a technological age where people don't care about video length anymore? Opinions, please.

If there's a natural place in the middle of the chapter to cut, then that's fine. It's easier to find time to watch a shorter video than a long one. Just don't stress out about it too much. If there's no good spot to cut without interrupting the flow, then just have a long video, no one will care.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Proteus4994 posted:

I'll finish it when Romero's game comes out.
It did.....back in 2005! Starring David Duchovny and Marilyn Manson.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
It is I who will be the one to Let Us Play the new John Romero game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Putty posted:

It is I who will be the one to Let Us Play the new John Romero game.

Need any co-commentators?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I love Jim Rome and will be playing his video game too.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

judge reinhold posted:

I love Jim Rome and will be playing his video game too.

I heard if you screw up the broadcasting mini-game and say something inappropriate they'll ban you from X-Box Live for a week :ohdear:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

Holy gently caress Daikatana 2 is finally coming? :aaaaa:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Romero, Romero, wherefore art thou Romero?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Need any co-commentators?

John Romero and only John Romero

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Putty posted:

John Romero and only John Romero

Actually getting John Romero and having him do an LP of Daikatana and just asking him why would actually be a pretty interesting LP.

Anyways Is there anywhere we can go to find other goons to do commentary with? Also would a sort of LP commentator "Matchmaker" thread be a good idea?

I want to do an LP of a game but I'm not confident in myself enough to do solo commentary.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

David D. Davidson posted:

Actually getting John Romero and having him do an LP of Daikatana and just asking him why would actually be a pretty interesting LP.

Anyways Is there anywhere we can go to find other goons to do commentary with? Also would a sort of LP commentator "Matchmaker" thread be a good idea?

I want to do an LP of a game but I'm not confident in myself enough to do solo commentary.

Either ask in your thread (if you have one up), here or pm people.

I'm always up to commentate on stuff, the hard part is coordinating schedules.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

David D. Davidson posted:

Well, what game is it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
John Romero Continues To Reinforce Your Status As His Bitch - Let's Play John Romero's New Game

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

John Romero Continues To Reinforce Your Status As His Bitch - Let's Play John Romero's New Game

I can't believe it's not Daikatana 2! A LP by John Romero, by John Romero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Thanks for the feedback guys. I took a second pass at the Soul Reaver video I posted earlier. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/i6MglSPAHvg

Also if anyone might be interested in co-commentating on the LP let me know as well. Looking for someone who maybe hasn't played/seen the series but is interested in finding out about it.

• Locked thread