Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

qbert posted:

The Mono-B player wasn't the best. He tried to Hero's Downfall my Frostburn one turn, I Mizzium Skin-ed in response, then end of the same turn he tries to Hero's Downfall it again. I point out the Frostburn still has hexproof and that he can take it back, but he was just like, "My mistake!" and scooped.

He doesn't get to take it back, you rewind the game because he never gets to cast it. You can say "I doom blade Thrun" all day and the card will never leave your hand. Declaring valid targets is a required step in casting a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You could have a lot of fun with Electrickery and Jest. But yeah, I think its just a card waiting to be broken in some format because its very good all on its own.

When it's powerful, it's powerful, but I think the card is a tad too constrictive at the moment. You need to already have a board presence in order to use it well as it's either a tempo card or a pseudo boardwipe.

However, when you think about it, Electrickery and Jest don't look that impressive when you compare them to Ætherspouts, which does much of the same thing but much more easily in the sort of deck that wants that kind of thing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Legacy owns. Just 5-0'd the last Legacy side event at GP Portland with a deck that is the epitome of what people who don't like Legacy hate (BUG Delver). Single Jitte in the side was quite good- a major reason I was able to beat Merfolk (an awful matchup), and helped me close out the final match against R/u Burn (like UR Delver but with Eidolon and PoP). I played decently, but I also definitely got lucky in my last two matches.

Really odd set of decks in the final side event though- we had multiple people playing Enchantress and I faced OmniTell for both of my first two rounds.

Really fun GP and I'm glad I was able to play at least a few side events. :)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

LGD posted:

R/u Burn (like UR Delver but with Eidolon and PoP).

this is just what UR Delver is btw. It has always been a burn (sligh, whatever, gently caress you) deck with counterspells and cantrips

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

this is just what UR Delver is btw. It has always been a burn (sligh, whatever, gently caress you) deck with counterspells and cantrips

No, you're quite right. It still felt more burn-y and less cantrip-Delver-y than previous lists I've played against, but a lot of that was probably just down to hand composition. I hadn't seen a U/R list running Eidolon before though, and it seemed to have served him well in previous matches (it essentially blew out Aluren on its own for example). Still a better matchup for me than straight burn though.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Quick GP Portland tournament report:

Day one, we opened up a very good pool: bombs in Hornet Queen, Scuttling Doom Engine, Liliana, Soul of Shandalar, and Avacyn.

Ended up with the following three decks:
  • mono-white, with 1 Raise the Alarm, 1 Triplicate Spirits, 2 Sanctified Charge, lots of two-drops.
  • GB grindy ramp with a red splash for Nightfire Giant
  • RU tempo and bombs (this deck got the Engine)

The red deck was definitely the worst. Had some early aggro, but that doesn't synergize that well with six-drop bombs... however, those cards are often so powerful it doesn't matter.

I piloted the white deck, because I like synergistic strategies. Sanctified Charge is completely absurd, and there's no way in hell it should have been a common. Every time I would play my fifth land and turn all my guys sideways, my opponent would practically sink into their playmat in despair. They had to block in order to not be instantly dead, but that meant losing all their creatures for one card.

We finished 7-2, which is also my record in matches (one match I lost while team won; one match I won while team lost). The GB deck went something like 6-1 in matches completed, the other times we just went "we won" or "we lost."

There's a couple bad plays I made, but only one that really cost me. I tried to get too cute holding Devouring Light for too long and took too much damage so that, even when I finally drew my fifth land to alpha strike with Charge, I died on the crack back.

Our day two pool was, by comparison, complete garbage. It was the toughest build, including all the practice ones we did the day before (I think we did three complete sets of decks that day). The best cards were Goblin Rabblemaster, Jace, and Ob Nixilis. Black had essentially no removal, blue had zero bounce spells, white had zero Raises or Spirits (though four Charges, which seemed like it was mocking me personally for riding that card so hard the previous day). Red had some removal, and we made a good mono-red deck. Green had a solid base, though nothing incredibly exciting. The tough part was that red was by far our best, and we had two Kird Chieftain: do we make the best deck better and splash green for the off-color in Chieftain, or make the can't-cast-it-at-all-without-fixing splash in the green deck, thus needing to find another place for black? We ended up putting them into the red deck, because green didn't have the cards to go three colors (zero Evolving Wilds in the pool).

Our first build was GU and WB for the non-red decks. The former deck just seemed like it stalled with Hornet Nest into absolute zilch; there's no point stalling a game if your opponent's cards are going to be so much better. The latter had something like 40 playables, very few of which were better or worse than any others. After about 25 minutes of deckbuilding (out of an hour) and each of the decks having 23 cards laid out and ready to register, we decided to try mixing up the colors. This worked out much better: WU fliers had an actual plan of playing small guys into a couple Charges, then Jace and Master of Predicaments as the high-end. GB was basically a bad version of the previous day's deck. I ended up 3-1 with the WU while GB went 1-3, and we ended up 2-2 on day 2 going into the final round. We drew, going to 9-4-1 and 31st place for $250 each. We played it our for fun with the last team, and it seems like we we probably have won (I lost, red deck won, GB deck was up a game when we abandoned the table) but it raised the collective money earned by both teams to take the draw there.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Oh, so I mention I went 3-1. My one loss was against Yuuya Watanabe. On camera. I lost in two, with my opponent having a combined 70 life and the end of the games. Each game would have been by far the worst blowout loss I received all weekend. Even my mull to 5, where I kept 4 plains 1 Sanctified Charge, was way closer than either of those by a mile.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Ramos posted:

It's comments like this that makes playing white blue control year in and year out that much more enjoyable.
But it's true? Playing UW Control is easy. I took it to a couple FNMs for a buddy, and it easily made top 4. Although I did hilariously misplay against a RW Burn that boarded in Spirit of the Labyrinth, of all things. A Revelation for 5 that only gets one card is such a wonderful feel-bad (feel-good?).

Granted, I don't dislike UW control this year, it's just that Revelation is such a no-brainer. How am I supposed to feel smart when a monkey could pilot my deck and win?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I actually brought a shoebox to a GP and it t8'd just by playing Sphinx's Rev, so this is legit.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

:circlefap:

Ramos fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 11, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
response, I chord for this:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

jassi007 posted:

Until affinity or infect demands you stop them on the spot because they give very few/no fucks about blood moon basically.

Actually, infect folds to Blood Moon. Vines costs GG when kicked so you basically need at least GGG to go off in most cases. This, along with the need to devote 4 land slots to Inkmoth Nexus, means you have to run almost all nonbasics in a multicolor infect deck.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Actually, infect folds to Blood Moon. Vines costs GG when kicked so you basically need at least GGG to go off in most cases. This, along with the need to devote 4 land slots to Inkmoth Nexus, means you have to run almost all nonbasics in a multicolor infect deck.

Mon-black Infect. Boom, no need to worry about Blood Moon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ramos posted:

When it's powerful, it's powerful, but I think the card is a tad too constrictive at the moment. You need to already have a board presence in order to use it well as it's either a tempo card or a pseudo boardwipe.

However, when you think about it, Electrickery and Jest don't look that impressive when you compare them to Ætherspouts, which does much of the same thing but much more easily in the sort of deck that wants that kind of thing.

I play it in my own RU brew for the sideboard. But then, I went 1-4 on Game Day with that, and it never showed up in any game post-sideboard. In testing it worked very well, in terms of giving me another turn or getting rid of their super troublesome creatures.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

rabidsquid posted:

I actually brought a shoebox to a GP and it t8'd just by playing Sphinx's Rev, so this is legit.
Was it a shoebox full of cards or just a literal shoebox?

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
Just caught a guy drawing two loving cards during his draw step. Was not sure if it was an accident or not, since the Sunday events are casual. The guy he was playing against though told me after he did it twice during the round, so he was probably cheating. The next time I play against that fat gently caress I'm going to ask how many loving cards he has in his hand every loving turn.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Monsieur Mango posted:

Just caught a guy drawing two loving cards during his draw step. Was not sure if it was an accident or not, since the Sunday events are casual. The guy he was playing against though told me after he did it twice during the round, so he was probably cheating. The next time I play against that fat gently caress I'm going to ask how many loving cards he has in his hand every loving turn.

"Judge!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Meh. Rev decks can be beaten and are beaten all the time. In fact if you look at the SCG Open results, they hardly ever even make top 8.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

mcmagic posted:

Meh. Rev decks can be beaten and are beaten all the time. In fact if you look at the SCG Open results, they hardly ever even make top 8.

There were two in the top 8 this week, but the commentators pointed out that it had been a while, and this time it's coming off of Ivan Floch's PT win, so a lot more people were probably trying it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CellBlock posted:

There were two in the top 8 this week, but the commentators pointed out that it had been a while, and this time it's coming off of Ivan Floch's PT win, so a lot more people were probably trying it.

I don't get the people who bitch about standard. I've pretty much played every deck in this standard at one point or another or just messing around and it's an extremely balanced format. If you are losing to rev all the time then switch to a deck with a better matchup against rev, but then you'll just lose to some of the decks you were beating previously.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Rev isn't bad in that it's actually broken. It's bad in that the decks that run it make the process of play incredibly tedious, boring, and un-fun.

If I went to an Open of PT I'd probably slam 2 Stain the Mind straight into my maindeck because gently caress that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

Rev isn't bad in that it's actually broken. It's bad in that the decks that run it make the process of play incredibly tedious, boring, and un-fun.

If I went to an Open of PT I'd probably slam 2 Stain the Mind straight into my maindeck because gently caress that.

It's unfun if you're losing to it... But you can always just scoop and move to the next game. In my experience, losing isn't fun. There isn't really a more fun way to lose.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
People think Rev decks are un-fun because they haven't learned to recognize that they don't actually have any outs at the point where they're top-decking against a 7-card hand and should just concede instead of making every lost game extra-miserable for themselves.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's unfun if you're losing to it... But you can always just scoop and move to the next game. In my experience, losing isn't fun. There isn't really a more fun way to lose.

I was playing a game of EDH and a guy had nearly milled himself due to some green druid card. He then cast Rise of the Dark Realms and brings back nearly 20 dragons. That was a fun way to lose.

Entropic posted:

People think Rev decks are un-fun because they haven't learned to recognize that they don't actually have any outs at the point where they're top-decking against a 7-card hand and should just concede instead of making every lost game extra-miserable for themselves.

I think when people have to scoop after the opponent plays a single card that's un-fun by itself.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 11, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

This makes me feel better that I play Green.

Because that was my topdecks mean I can be slamming them in the mouth with a 10/10 Mistcutter Hydra :getin:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

Stain the Mind?

Slaughter Games is still in standard :getin:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

UberJew posted:

Stain the Mind?

Slaughter Games is still in standard :getin:

I forgot Slaughter Games can't be countered. Yeah I'd run that instead until rotation.

Stain is easier to splash for but I do have a Minotaurs deck that could have fun with some Slaughter Games. :unsmigghh:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Hint: if your advice is to just scoop against a card, perhaps that is why people consider it to be a bad card?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bhsman posted:

Hint: if your advice is to just scoop against a card, perhaps that is why people consider it to be a bad card?

My advice is actually to play correctly against it and choose a deck that has a good matchup against it. Also scoop when you've lost a game, just like you should do against any other deck.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Why scoop when you can frontline medic

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

My advice is actually to play correctly against it and choose a deck that has a good matchup against it. Also scoop when you've lost a game, just like you should do against any other deck.

I already play a deck with lots of hand disruption meant to deal with Rev decks, and I find those games un-fun. Secondly, unless you are playing Red (and not everyone wants to), short of Skullcrack there is little else you can realistically do to stop a huge Rev aside from counters. To just say "Just play correctly against it" is some incredibly dumb advice. Another hint for you: you can still play correctly against that card because it's been haunting Standard for two years and still hate playing against it.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

A reminder that you don't actually scoop to the rev, you're scooping to the bunch of spells that were cast before and now after the rev.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
It's a shame that UB hasn't seemed to be a particularly good option in RtR Standard, because no response to Sphinx's Rev would be better than Notion Thief.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Someone help me understand why someone would consider resetting your life total and getting a new grip of cards at instant speed in a format that the only cards that aren't 1 for 1's are also played in that deck that runs that card, to be unfun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bhsman posted:

I already play a deck with lots of hand disruption meant to deal with Rev decks, and I find those games un-fun. Secondly, unless you are playing Red (and not everyone wants to), short of Skullcrack there is little else you can realistically do to stop a huge Rev aside from counters. To just say "Just play correctly against it" is some incredibly dumb advice. Another hint for you: you can still play correctly against that card because it's been haunting Standard for two years and still hate playing against it.

I don't hate playing against it. I love when I beat it and I hate when I lose to it. Just like any other deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

REVELATION REVELATION REVELATION REVELATION REVELATION REVELATION

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I just had a revelation that maybe this card tilts people pretty bad and I should splash white in mono blue just to tilt people

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The problem with Sphinx's Rev is that it is basically a timewalk,

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
At least it doesn't have Flying.

I hated playing against that card when I played Standard. I preferred aggro decks, so a Rev for more than 3 was pretty back-breaking and usually spelled 'game over'. I'm sure it was a blast to cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gyshall posted:

The problem with Sphinx's Rev is that it is basically a timewalk,

So is any counterspell.

• Locked thread