Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Annath posted:

OH! It's a separate compartment! I thought it meant that the bottom element just heated up...

You mean that drawer isn't just for storing pans?! ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Am I alone in thinking honey mustard is absolutely foul?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Am I alone in thinking honey mustard is absolutely foul?

Definitely not alone.

Anyone have a recipe for carne de chinameca? I saw a blog post about veracruz cuisine and this looks amazing:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Anyone have a good recipie for something with dumplings and a heady sauce? Something similar to Chicken Parikash?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

nwin posted:

So are you putting the pizza on the tiles or using them to maintain the heat in the oven?

If it's the former, I have a 3/8" baking steel im using for that and it's on the top rack. If it's the latter, I keep my 12" cast iron on the bottom rack for that purpose.

I do have a separate oven thermometer and it was pegged at 550.

With my oven, when I put the desired temp on the digital control, it gives me a preheat time and counts down (for 550 it took 15 minutes). Then it beeps to tell me it's up to temp. I then verified this with the standalone and let it heat up about 20-30 more minutes. I took an infrared thermometer to the steel and it registered about 420 degrees, which I figured was good. I turned the broiler on and it didn't start for a while...I figured it might be too hot in the oven so I propped the door open but it still took a bit to come on.

During that time, it's possible a bit of heat escaped until the broiler came on, but the steel should have been more than hot enough to aptly cook the pizza quickly. The bottom looked decent about 6 minutes in but the cheese wasn't browned like I normally prefer-just melted. So that's when I moved it closer to the broiler with my peel.

Here's one thing I just thought of. I let my pizza rest for 5 minutes on my steel. Could that cause moisture? Maybe let it rest on one of those cooking grates that you see big restaurants use for bacon or something ( a raised grate that has a bunch of 1/4" grids on em).

Rats, you are already doing most of the important stuff. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

nwin posted:

So are you putting the pizza on the tiles or using them to maintain the heat in the oven?

Yes and yes. The tiles live in the oven for the purposes of heat ballast (also because I'm lazy and don't bother taking them out), and I bake pizza directly on them. Makes great pizza.

Edit: I always let the pizza cool on a bamboo cutting board, that probably absorbs some moisture that steel would not. If you are really having trouble with that, maybe you could try cooling it on a wire cooling rack?

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 12, 2014

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Travelling next week so I'll only have a microwave, mini fridge, and a nearby grocery store for 6 days. What are some cool ideas? So far I have

Breakfasts - Instant oatmeal w/ fruit
Lunches - Meat sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches
Dinners - Grocery-cooked chicken and salad, microwavable rice
Snacks - Bananas

I can bring a small number of kitchen things with me (salad spinner, etc.), and I'd like to avoid eating out or eating ready-made grocery store things.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

reflex posted:

Travelling next week so I'll only have a microwave, mini fridge, and a nearby grocery store for 6 days. What are some cool ideas? So far I have

Breakfasts - Instant oatmeal w/ fruit
Lunches - Meat sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches
Dinners - Grocery-cooked chicken and salad, microwavable rice
Snacks - Bananas

I can bring a small number of kitchen things with me (salad spinner, etc.), and I'd like to avoid eating out or eating ready-made grocery store things.

If you have a salad spinner that could double as a colander you could probably cook some sort of pasta in the microwave for lunch/dinner.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just subsist on bread, cheese, olives, and wine.

Edit: Coffee and yogurt in the morning.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah definitely work some yogurt into that. Also bagels.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Does anybody grow their own foodstuffs to use in their cooking? Recently got an allotment & wondering what the most useful/easy fruit or veg to grow would be although after having a wander through the neighbouring allotments it seems that rhubarb is up there at the top.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BisonDollah posted:

Does anybody grow their own foodstuffs to use in their cooking? Recently got an allotment & wondering what the most useful/easy fruit or veg to grow would be although after having a wander through the neighbouring allotments it seems that rhubarb is up there at the top.

yeah, there's a gardening thread, too. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376974

I mostly grow peppers, tomatoes, chard, basil, mint, and squash.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just subsist on bread, cheese, olives, and wine.

Edit: Coffee and yogurt cigarette in the morning.

Let's do this properly, please.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BisonDollah posted:

This time of year, it's basically all we eat. Greens of all sorts, peppers, tomatoes, all of our herbs, green beans, squash, cucumbers, radish, eggplants, potatoes, carrots, onions, melons, etc. Pears are coming in, and we just finished plum season. We always have excess that we trade for things like eggs and whatnot. All fall/winter/spring we eat the produce of our garden that we've preserved by canning or fermenting (kimchi/kraut/etc). We also raise pigs, goats, and sheep for meat (may not be doable in your situation but is great if you can), and we keep bees for honey. We also occasionally mess with chickens and turkeys.

If you have even a little space, you can grow an amazing amount of your own food. Your spelling and use of the word "allotment" leads me to believe you're in the UK. If so, your soil is perfect for growing the most beautiful cabbages, kales, carrots, peas, and other traditional British vegetables with next to zero effort.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Is rhubarb naturally sweet or do you have to cook it with sugar?

What does it taste like normally?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Drifter posted:

It's kind of tangy/bitter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

I'm pretty sure it's quite sour.

Speaking of homegrown, I used homemade tomatoes to make a caramelized onion and balsamic ketchup this weekend. Had some heat in it to offset the sweetness a tad. It was baller. The only disappointment was how little I had when all was said and done.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

BisonDollah posted:

Grow a salsa garden.

Jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, habanero, cilantro, etc.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Drifter posted:

Raw, it is mouth-puckeringly sour. Once you cook it, it is still pretty sour. The best thing to do with it is to stew it with a little sugar, and make a rhubarb crumble, and have it with custard. Part of the joy of rhubarb is the sourness, so don't add too much sugar.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BisonDollah posted:

If you PM me your address, I can send you a cutting of my bay tree. That's just about the easiest thing to grow ever, and a source of fresh bay leaves really is the best thing.

Edit: Assuming you're in the UK.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drifter posted:

It's bitter as hell. It gets a little mellower just from being cooked versus raw, but it's still going to be more tart than most people prefer by itself.

You can eat it raw---just pressing the end into some sugar or dipping it in honey or syrup and then munching on it is a thing people do. If you want a better presentation you can take off the ends, pull off any tough strings, chop, then make a compote with a syrup (sugar, water, maybe other poo poo) and just let it sit for awhile. Rhubarb is pretty much a sponge and will take any flavours you soak it in.

Don't eat the leaves, as they're poisonous.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BisonDollah posted:

Yeah check the linked garden thread. Will be easier to answer once we know your growing environment.

Just this year I've started sustenance gardening and it's gone quite well so far but I definitely have things that just don't grow great in my climate that other goons have tons of (mostly peppers).

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm pretty sure it's quite sour.

Speaking of homegrown, I used homemade tomatoes to make a caramelized onion and balsamic ketchup this weekend. Had some heat in it to offset the sweetness a tad. It was baller. The only disappointment was how little I had when all was said and done.

That sounds awesome. Recipe?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I found some locally grown San Marzanos yesterday and I'm pretty pumped. My first thought is to make a ragu bolognese, but does anyone have any other tomato-centric recipes I should do instead? Should I just buy a fuckton and can them?

memento mori
May 4, 2008
Can you guys recommend a jerk chicken recipe? I want a good one but something like this this is really too much

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

memento mori posted:

Can you guys recommend a jerk chicken recipe? I want a good one but something like this this is really too much

Too much heat or too much work?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I found some locally grown San Marzanos yesterday and I'm pretty pumped. My first thought is to make a ragu bolognese, but does anyone have any other tomato-centric recipes I should do instead? Should I just buy a fuckton and can them?
I don't know what your approach to bolognese is, but the traditional version isn't really a showcase application for tomatoes. If I had a bunch of awesome tomatoes I wanted to use in sauce, I'd just do a basic red sauce/pomodoro: concasse, into a pan with a little oil until they're just soft, basil, garlic, whatever the gently caress, some fish sauce if you're not trying to keep vegetarian or whatever, done. Put it on pasta, on a pizza, whatever the gently caress.

Since it's pepper season and I have a fuckload of habaneros in the garden right now I'd probably rock some loving arrabbiata too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

memento mori posted:

Don't use a recipe, just grab spices:

A few scotch bonnets, finely chopped
A handful of spring onions, finely sliced
A bulb of garlic, minced

Lots of ground cinnamon
Slightly less lots of ground ginger
A reasonably big lot of ground paprika
A much smaller lot of ground allspice
A tiny bit of ground nutmeg
A tiny bit of inauthentic turmeric

Quite a lot of dried thyme
Salt and pepper

A healthy glug of white wine vinegar
An unhealthy glug of vegetable oil of some kind

Chicken THIGHS

Mix everything up, smear over and into the thighs, leave for as long as you can bear, barbecue on a warmish grill for about forty minutes
A little char on the spring onions is desirable

Serve with rice and beans, fried plantain, Bell's pepper sauce and Red Stripe

Source: Jamaican grandmother

memento mori
May 4, 2008
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

memento mori fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 13, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do a Bruschetta

Diced Tomatoes
Garlic
Basil
Olive Oil
Scallions
Salt

Serve over toasted slices of Italian bread

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Don't use a recipe, just grab spices:

A few scotch bonnets, finely chopped
A handful of spring onions, finely sliced
A bulb of garlic, minced

Lots of ground cinnamon
Slightly less lots of ground ginger
A reasonably big lot of ground paprika
A much smaller lot of ground allspice
A tiny bit of ground nutmeg
A tiny bit of inauthentic turmeric

Quite a lot of dried thyme
Salt and pepper

A healthy glug of white wine vinegar
An unhealthy glug of vegetable oil of some kind

Chicken THIGHS

Mix everything up, smear over and into the thighs, leave for as long as you can bear, barbecue on a warmish grill for about forty minutes
A little char on the spring onions is desirable

Serve with rice and beans, fried plantain, Bell's pepper sauce and Red Stripe

Source: Jamaican grandmother

What do you call this... set of instructions for making food?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bacon brewed beer posted:

That sounds awesome. Recipe?

I just winged it, but I can give you an idea of what I did.

I split and removed the stems of the tomatoes and roasted them under the broiler until I could slide the skins off. These (tomatoes, not the skins) went into the pot with anchovy paste, L&P, red pepper flake, cayenne, onion powder (because I was caramelizing all my other onions), a little garlic (went light on this), black pepper and a spoonful of brown sugar (I later added some white sugar too. I'm not sure if brown sugar was the right call here, but the end product worked so). Once it had cooked down a fair amount, I added a big dollop of caramelized onion (that had been cooked it until it was basically jam) and balsamic vinegar and blitzed it with the stick blender. This I cooked down until it was the right consistency for ketchup, then I passed it through a chinois (completely optional, a lot of folks would prefer the more rustic consistency of the ketchup without having done that). I then added more balsamic til the sweetness was right, as well as some white wine vinegar and some cider vinegar (which I used because I ran out of white wine vinegar). Plain white vinegar would have worked just fine if I had had some around. But I didn't. Also this is where I salted it. And kept tasting and adjusting salt and vinegar until it was just right.

The bottom line is, tomato ketchup is just tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and spices. There's lots of directions you can go with it, and it isn't hard to make something that's better than anything you can buy in a store. So don't use a recipe, just experiment and adjust until it tastes good. For example, I had originally intended just to use balsamic as the main sweetness, but since I was caramelizing onions as a burger topping it occurred to me I could use those too. It turned out to be a fantastic choice. And as always, because you're reducing it (the tomatoes), don't salt until the end.

The only thing I'd do differently next time is start with a whole lot more tomatoes so I could have plenty of extra to save. I think I used 3 big and 2 medium sized tomatoes this time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Since you didn't include the skins, how smooth was the ketchup before you ran it through the chinois? I probably would have preferred it a little thicker/chunkier, depending on how smooth the stick blender was able to get it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Since you didn't include the skins, how smooth was the ketchup before you ran it through the chinois? I probably would have preferred it a little thicker/chunkier, depending on how smooth the stick blender was able to get it.

It was perfectly passable. I just can't stop myself from tinkering sometimes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

the littlest prince posted:

Well, alright. I meant that it shouldn't be a precise recipe, just a rough idea that is slightly different every time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Cook with your heart, young cheflings, not your scales*.

*unless you're baking

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I hate everything about electric burner elements. Does there exist a drop-in replacement induction burner?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

Someone from GWS asked their grandmother for her biscuit recipe and she told them, `There's no recipe, they're just biscuits.' An awful lot of cooking is like that.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

CzarChasm posted:

Do a Bruschetta

Diced Tomatoes
Garlic
Basil
Olive Oil
Scallions
Salt

Serve over toasted slices of Italian bread

Best two things to happen to bruschetta are capers and balsamic reduction, IMO. Still great without, though.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Quick one: boiled some new potatoes Tuesday night, have about 10 still in the fridge. Want to make a big breakfast hash Saturday morning. Would I be OK with just a smell, look and feel test on the potatoes before using them, or should I chuck them and buy new ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mourning Due posted:

Quick one: boiled some new potatoes Tuesday night, have about 10 still in the fridge. Want to make a big breakfast hash Saturday morning. Would I be OK with just a smell, look and feel test on the potatoes before using them, or should I chuck them and buy new ones?

They might be a little softer than normal from the boiling, I'd think. Maybe that'd count as a parboil, though?

Hard to make hash, especially since they're new potatoes, which end up as a good creamy potato, but harder to crisp. Maybe try to stick them in the freezer for two or so hours to firm them nicely to dice/grate.

Ultimately, they're potatoes. They'll be fine to use. Just use them up until they get gross. What kind of sausage/meat you using? :unsmigghh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 14, 2014