Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

d0grent posted:

Ok cool, I actually planned on getting Nasus, but he's pretty cheap so I wanted to lock in a more expensive champ first. I'll get him next, thanks.

Nasus takes a lot of dedication to learning the matchups. And if you get stuck against someone like Pantheon, you have to rely on your team being able to hold on for a while - he will have you farming under tower forever while he leaps across the map and picks up triple kills.

That's my experience anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Darius, who I have a giant blind spot for and played like poo poo against.

Its aight. My boogie man is Teemo. I know that it is a lame lane. If he cheeses me and gets a kill I know that I am all alone with him after level 6 and that lane is his forever afterwards. I just have to hope I go to a team fight.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Darth Windu posted:

Nasus takes a lot of dedication to learning the matchups. And if you get stuck against someone like Pantheon, you have to rely on your team being able to hold on for a while - he will have you farming under tower forever while he leaps across the map and picks up triple kills.

That's my experience anyway.

Yeah I've seen Nasus be all over the place in terms of usefulness, but when I play top I always get to counterpick due to being last or near last.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I feel like as Nasus I've gotten to the point where, at least at my level (which isn't very high mind you) I can avoid getting blown out of lane, but come late game I feel like my effectiveness drops off dramatically, or rather I'm not really sure what to do. If I'm at the frontlines of a battle I usually end up just getting focused and melted no matter how much tank gear I buy, which makes sense since Nasus isn't really a proper tank.

Should I hang back and wait to peel folks who try to dive on my team? It feels like if I do that I'm not getting the most use out of my ult, but I guess my ult isn't worth much if I die 3 seconds into it while my team runs away, anyway.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's goon man time come goon man

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
My bogie is Katarina when I'm playing Orianna. It's not even supposed to be a hard matchup and I have no trouble with other melee mobility champs (Fizz, Kass) but I lose every loving game to katarina either because the enemy jungler makes my lane a hell or she gets a couple of dumb kills and it no longer matters what I did in lane.

One day I might improve my mechanics enough to prevent it by just winning too hard early.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I feel like as Nasus I've gotten to the point where, at least at my level (which isn't very high mind you) I can avoid getting blown out of lane, but come late game I feel like my effectiveness drops off dramatically, or rather I'm not really sure what to do. If I'm at the frontlines of a battle I usually end up just getting focused and melted no matter how much tank gear I buy, which makes sense since Nasus isn't really a proper tank.

Should I hang back and wait to peel folks who try to dive on my team? It feels like if I do that I'm not getting the most use out of my ult, but I guess my ult isn't worth much if I die 3 seconds into it while my team runs away, anyway.

Nasus with his ult up and tank items is incredibly tanky, I have no idea what you're talking about. When you have enough stacks you can just pop your ult, run into the enemy backline and maul their carries.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

henkman posted:

Nasus with his ult up and tank items is incredibly tanky, I have no idea what you're talking about. When you have enough stacks you can just pop your ult, run into the enemy backline and maul their carries.

As a point of reference, can you tell me exactly what level of stats you'd expect a Nasus to have to be able to tank the enemy team?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Well, if they have some AD you build armor. If they have AP you build MR. After that some health. There you go friend, the secrets to Being A Tanky Nasus

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

As a point of reference, can you tell me exactly what level of stats you'd expect a Nasus to have to be able to tank the enemy team?

A Spirit Visage and 500 stacks of Q and resistances appropriate to the team you're facing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

henkman posted:

Well, if they have some AD you build armor. If they have AP you build MR. After that some health. There you go friend, the secrets to Being A Tanky Nasus

Well, thanks for the sarcasm, but it's not like I was building damage on him before. When I have the aforementioned spirit visage, frozen heart and/or ice fist, maybe more if the game has gone on long enough, and can still get melted in the middle of a team fight with my ult up, I tend to think I might be doing something wrong.

Hence why I asked if there were some rule of thumb numbers, so for example I could go 'oh you need 200 in the appropriate defense, and I only had 150 all those times I blew up.'

It might also have something to do with my own teams at the level I'm playing at never ccing/focusing down their carries, but I can't really do anything about that. I can only try to improve my own play.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
There are so many variables in every individual game that things like "get a certain number in this stat" just don't really exist. And if you're just getting focused and melting in teamfights that *should* mean that your team can clean up, or you're going in before anyone else on your team can follow and you die before they can get in.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

All right. Thank you. I'll just keep working on playing smarter.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I mean nobody can be unkillable. Late game if you let 5 dudes wail on you you're gonna die in a few seconds. Being tanky means you trivialize tower damage and you can take a round of cool downs to the chin, not never die.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Today in goonmans, I learned that my boogie man in lane is an Urgot/Nidalee duo versus Nasus.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Pick Mundo, Press R. Congratulations, you're invincible.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Shadow225 posted:

Today in goonmans, I learned that my boogie man in lane is an Urgot/Nidalee duo versus Nasus.

Blitz/Shaco bot was hilarious also.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Libertine posted:

The main reason I don't stream is because I can't see any reason why anyone would watch someone (myself included) play video games who isn't already internet famous for playing video games (especially given a virtually limitless opportunity to watch people like that). Like you guys who are streaming regular (non-Challenger level) solo queue games of League, do people actually watch your streams? And if so, why?

One of my friends convinced me to stream as I was climbing to diamond 1 early season 3 and by the time I moved to the place I live now, I had probably 30 regular viewers.

Not sure why people watched me since all I did was play trynd nasus draven and the only "exciting" things I ever did were not buy boots, first blood 3 mins into the game as trynd like every game, and occasionally go like 20+ kills on draven, and I don't really talk because reasons

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I made an account to only play Alistar and got placed into Silver 1 after placements. This is not what I expected.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
SirhcEz literally only plays Singed and Nasus and he's consistently in the top 10 streamers on Twitch in the period he's on. Pulling in good numbers is like 40% skill 40% personality and interacting with the community.

So I am sweet out of luck. :negative:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Alris posted:

SirhcEz literally only plays Singed and Nasus and he's consistently in the top 10 streamers on Twitch in the period he's on. Pulling in good numbers is like 40% skill 40% personality and interacting with the community.

it also helps that he has the voice of an angel

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He also has a good timeslot. Asia in the evening, Europe during the morning, Americans with messed up sleeping schedules.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Shadow225 posted:

Man I'm sorry for that lane! I said I was an Urgot main and everyone said "gently caress the meta" so welp.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Alris posted:

I think it's the timeframe thing, as an Australian I get to see all the dregs of streamers in early hours of the US morning, and he's pretty much the only decent english LoL streamer at that time 90% of the time.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 11, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ARAMs has been doing a poo poo job of team making lately.

We just faced a team where all 5 members had a shield. It was exactly as bullshit as you would expect it to be. Orianna, Morgana, Janna, Diana, and Thresh(anna).

Kind of brutal in a game mode where sustain is at a premium.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

There are accounts out there that are aram only and only have the best guys. Sorry for your loss.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Zaodai posted:

ARAMs has been doing a poo poo job of team making lately.

We just faced a team where all 5 members had a shield. It was exactly as bullshit as you would expect it to be. Orianna, Morgana, Janna, Diana, and Thresh(anna).

Kind of brutal in a game mode where sustain is at a premium.

That's because ARAM is a bad mode where the results are usually known about .5 seconds before you enter the loading screen. The next 15 minutes are spent painfully watching it unfold.

This classic Pete and Pete segment perfectly summarizes my feelings towards ARAM.

http://youtu.be/n7nlRBUOSfg?t=13m45s

Tonetta posted:

There are accounts out there that are aram only and only have the best guys. Sorry for your loss.

You just know if Riot decided to make all champions available in ARAM regardless of if you owned them or not people would lose their poo poo in a big way.

Brackhar make this happen plz god dammit that doesnt work anymore.

Alris fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 11, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think it would help if there was a ban phase before everyone's rolls. It'll be a cold day in hell when I let Ziggs slip through.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Well, it's ARAM, so my suggestion is to not play it. If you do, don't take it seriously or you're gonna be disappointed when you get owned by the god squad

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Alris posted:

That's because ARAM is a bad mode where the results are usually known about .5 seconds before you enter the loading screen. The next 15 minutes are spent painfully watching it unfold.

This classic Pete and Pete segment perfectly summarizes my feelings towards ARAM.

http://youtu.be/n7nlRBUOSfg?t=13m45s

You just know if Riot decided to make all champions available in ARAM regardless of if you owned them or not people would lose their poo poo in a big way.

Brackhar make this happen plz god dammit that doesnt work anymore.

Riot just do it like you did one for all that if one person owned all the champions everybksy had access to them because lol at having an account solely for aram

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
did placements

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You -might- want to work on using your advantage to end the game instead of dragging it out to twice as long as it could be.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Biowarfare posted:

did placements

What kind of monster are you!?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I like the cut of your jib

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You -might- want to work on using your advantage to end the game instead of dragging it out to twice as long as it could be.

You have to savour unlosable games that the enemy team refuses to surrender like a fine wine. It's truly an art to not throw while also prolonging the game as much as you can.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

NTT posted:

I mean nobody can be unkillable. Late game if you let 5 dudes wail on you you're gonna die in a few seconds. Being tanky means you trivialize tower damage and you can take a round of cool downs to the chin, not never die.

Sounds like someone's never played Maokai or Mundo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Real talk I might never play meta picks again in goon mans, BoxCrank was nostalgic as gently caress

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Previous Jesus posted:

Sounds like someone's never played Maokai or Mundo.

A vayne by herself could do most of the work in like 3 seconds

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I like Mundo because he fits my mold of "braindead champion who just face rolls top lane" but his level of tankiness is largely a factor of how ahead or behind your team is and picking him is extremely reliant on your team in my opinion (one of the main reasons he's much better as a competitive pick than a solo queue pick). He seems impossible to kill only when you are behind against him, and when he and his team are behind he's not actually tanky enough to withstand almost any fed health-shredder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
In my experience Nasus tends to be most effective when he isn't trying to behave like an old style S2 Amumu or Malphite and just run in and kick off a fight, since he is probably the most effectively kiteable of any of the obvious carry/hypertank combos at the moment.

Ideally what you want to be doing is just sit in a sidelane growing stronger and stronger while chunking turrets pretty effectively even if they send somebody with decent waveclear to stop you. The enemy team has one of two choices - send 2 or 3 to actually stop and kill you, giving your 4 man core a pretty clear advantage to do whatever, or try to kick off a 5v4 giving you the choice to either teleport in as the fight's kicking off or taking your 2 free turrets if you don't think your team will lose that badly, has already wiped, or has the disengage to just not fight.

The worst thing you can do typically is just to get impatient and sort of ghost ult in, wither somebody and hope for the best. Everytime I've hosed up against a Nasus lane this is always what ends up bailing us out. If you're going to go for a fair 5v5, pretending your'e some kind of bizarro Fiora or Yi and coming in slightly after the fight has already kicked off from a different angle seems to work much better, since it makes it much harder for everyone to just kite you, dps you, AND stay away from the rest of your team's threats.

• Locked thread