Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Alternative pants posted:

Anyone know why the "testing" for the 1020 update is taking so long?

I installed 8.1 Dev on mine and my battery life has gone to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I installed 8.1 Dev on mine and my battery life has gone to poo poo.

AT&T told me it would be "weeks" with no actual rollout plan in place, so I installed Dev Preview a few days ago and my battery life is better- with constant use, I used to get about 8 hours and now I'm clocking ~12. Notification Center makes it so I don't have to check thru a slew of apps, and the option to have Wifi enabled only at trusted locations is a huge boost. More tiles shown is less scrolling, and the reasons continue. 8.1 may be inherently more of a drain, but embracing certain new features can flip that on its head.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 10, 2014

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm never going to get 8.1 on my 920 am I :ohdear:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just get the dev preview, now that Music is fixed there's literally no reason not to.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Stubb Dogg posted:

Because 8.1 Cyan is buggy as hell. On some devices with Cyan some process bugs out and CPU gets stuck on a loop, battery consumption is higher than what some chargers can supply. And device basically cooks itself to death.

Remember Nokia Drive+ back in the 8.0 release days? Same stuff, but it's in firmware so you can't even fix it.

allaboutwubdowsphone has done a test on a 1020 with 8.0, developer previews of 8.1, and Cyan. Battery life on Cyan was significantly better and, according to them, in line with other mobile operating systems.

As always, YMMV.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
One of the reasons I had to ditch my HTC 8X was the update to 8.1 through the Dev Preview absolutely destroyed battery life. Maybe the eventual 8.1 Update 1 will help with that, but as it is at the moment it's unusable for most things.

Yoyboy
Sep 9, 2001

Hey, Yoy to you too ..... Yoyboy.
Here is my anecdotal evidence. The battery life on my 1520 dropped significantly when on the original 8.1 developer preview and returned back to normal when updated to the official 8.1 + Cyan.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone on here ever used a Nokia 521 for offline navigation? I've heard the maps/nav offline are pretty decent, and at $50 the phone is cheaper than any purpose-made device.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Radbot posted:

Anyone on here ever used a Nokia 521 for offline navigation? I've heard the maps/nav offline are pretty decent, and at $50 the phone is cheaper than any purpose-made device.

No, but I have used a WP 7.5 device for offline navigation. I very much like it, but then I don't have much to compare with. The quality of HERE Drive hasn't really changed from WP 7.5 to 8.0. My experience is with Denmark and Sweden, I don't know how maps for other places compare.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
The WP8 version does read out street names. It'll also give directions according to the road signs. I was at an airport where it read "Keep left towards 'Domestic Arrivals'" which is pretty neat.
My major gripe with it is that you can't manually alter the route. If there is, for instance, a bad neighborhood you'd like to avoid you can't just drag the route around it. You can tell it whether you want toll roads or ferries, whether you prefer the faster or shorter route, and other basic things like that.

AtomD fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Aug 12, 2014

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Yeah, the WP8 version is cool for reading out street names. My problem is it drains the battery, even when it's plugged in. I'm not sure if it's because I'm running 8.1 developer version or if it's because of my phone. I could downgrade to 8.0 but I'll only do it when Cyan finally turns up on my phone. Also I like folders too much in 8.1U1 to want to go back.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Did the podcast app used to have a 1.25 speed setting?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

AtomD posted:

My major gripe with it is that you can't manually alter the route. If there is, for instance, a bad neighborhood you'd like to avoid you can't just drag the route around it. You can tell it whether you want toll roads or ferries, whether you prefer the faster or shorter route, and other basic things like that.

That and I wish I could tap to see a list of directions.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I may be missing something obvious here. I have a Lumia 820 which I just upgraded to 8.1 DP. I generally keep my phone on vibrate only, by using the volume rocker and tapping Ring + Vibrate so that it switches to Vibrate Only. When the phone rings, it vibrates continuously. Now that I'm on 8.1, it seems to only vibrate once as soon as the call comes in rather than continuously... this is with the ringer volume set to 1/10 as well as 0/10. There must be a way to get calls to vibrate continuously but I am clearly missing it in the settings. Any ideas as to where/how I can set this?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I have a weird request. Whats the best/cheapest Windows Phone I can get that is compatible with a T-Mobile Mini-SIM? I realize that this will probably get me stuck on WP7ish but getting a smaller sim card/cutting down my current one is out of the question.

This is for a work related project/experiment.

Edit: It looks like I can pick up the Huawei Ascend W1 pretty cheap and it seems to be the only option running WP8.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 14, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

JayKay posted:

I have a weird request. Whats the best/cheapest Windows Phone I can get that is compatible with a T-Mobile Mini-SIM? I realize that this will probably get me stuck on WP7ish but getting a smaller sim card/cutting down my current one is out of the question.

Edit: It looks like I can pick up the Huawei Ascend W1 pretty cheap and it seems to be the only option running WP8.

The lumia 920 has a micro sim.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

JayKay posted:

Ummmm almost everything is a Mini or Micro sim and has been for years. Basically every windows phone will work. Also almost every Tmo store will just give you whatever you want for any combination of Sims for free (stay away from the authorized resellers you should be able to find a real Tmo corporate location easily) if you just walk in the door and have a normal (non-prepaid) account.

Look at a cheaper Lumia. Since it's GSM you can get anything unlocked and it will work.

This is on 8.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/No-Contract-Nokia-Lumia-521-for-T-Mobile/productID.279982200

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-12342

From the picture it looks to use a micro Sim card too. Be careful swapping sim cards. Both the cards themselves and the slots are very easy to damage. I've destroyed several sim slots and sim cards because I was swapping back and forth every day. After 30-70 inserts it seems that one of the two will likely fail. That's been on all manner of sim cards and several different manufacturers phones.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 14, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Good news AT&T Lumia 1020 owners:

quote:

the highly anticipated software update for Nokia Lumia 1020 is now available for AT&T customers

http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7795986

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Does this include the recent update that unfucked the Music app?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

loquacius posted:

Does this include the recent update that unfucked the Music app?

Complete unfucking is 8.1 Update 1 I do believe. Presumably if you're already 8.1 Update 1 developer preview then you can just now get Cyan?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

loving finally.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So is anyone hoping that Microsoft announcement coming up with the big ol 1020 lense as an O in the text is in regard to say a 1030 or something? Or would they really tease something like that, only to announce the still pretty lovely 730 with a special Selfie Cam? :negative:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

So is anyone hoping that Microsoft announcement coming up with the big ol 1020 lense as an O in the text is in regard to say a 1030 or something? Or would they really tease something like that, only to announce the still pretty lovely 730 with a special Selfie Cam? :negative:

I want a 1030.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At 6:30 or so, I left the library with about 50% charge left and went home. It's now 8 and down to 19% (I noticed because I saw the battery saver icon on). All I did was open Nextgen Reader, browse SA, and send a text. The battery saver stats say Cortana, Skype, the messages app, and some of my email accounts went nuts in the background. This really hasn't happened before, it's kind of weird. On update 1, dev preview, no cyan because I don't feel like logging back in to all my stuff and the bitlocker fix can wait.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

EdEddnEddy posted:

I think it's the Microsoft make phone, the first which will have Windows One on it.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

At 6:30 or so, I left the library with about 50% charge left and went home. It's now 8 and down to 19% (I noticed because I saw the battery saver icon on). All I did was open Nextgen Reader, browse SA, and send a text. The battery saver stats say Cortana, Skype, the messages app, and some of my email accounts went nuts in the background. This really hasn't happened before, it's kind of weird. On update 1, dev preview, no cyan because I don't feel like logging back in to all my stuff and the bitlocker fix can wait.

No sympathy. The DP software isn't maximized for daily use.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Oh I know, I'm just wondering if there's a specific cause or if it's just one of those random things. :shrug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, things are not looking good on the sales/marketshare front. I'm not really surprised because there hasn't been a good new phone or a big marketing push in a while, but it still depresses me a little bit to see. :smith:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

Man, things are not looking good on the sales/marketshare front. I'm not really surprised because there hasn't been a good new phone or a big marketing push in a while, but it still depresses me a little bit to see. :smith:

The reason it's not surprising is because most people don't buy phones, most people are sold phones. And what phones are CSR's selling? Let's check: http://www.neowin.net/news/when-talking-with-customer-service-reps-it-becomes-clear-why-windows-phone-isnt-selling-well

...oh

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'm sure there's truth to the "not being sold" angle, but even as a WP apologist, I have to admit it's pretty clear that the abysmal market share numbers fall mostly at Microsoft's feet. They're just so freakin' slow and lumbering and act like they're in a comfortable position where they can take their time and sales numbers will just start to happen. "Just wait till the next version" is practically WP's tagline, and has been since 2010.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LifeSizePotato posted:

I'm sure there's truth to the "not being sold" angle, but even as a WP apologist, I have to admit it's pretty clear that the abysmal market share numbers fall mostly at Microsoft's feet. They're just so freakin' slow and lumbering and act like they're in a comfortable position where they can take their time and sales numbers will just start to happen. "Just wait till the next version" is practically WP's tagline, and has been since 2010.

I don't have a firm grasp on product development and support but one would think that with the resources Microsoft has, in both money and brilliant staff, they'd be able to create a fast and agile team to support these developing platforms. If you're late entering the game and are trying to play catch-up, you need to work twice as hard and fast as the next guy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hey at least Sprint was offering something different then just "Get an iPhone" like all the others. :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have to say Telstra in Australia seems to be putting at least some effort into marketing the Lumia 930. I see billboards for it everywhere, and the phone is occupying the flagship location on its own dedicated display in the entrance of Telstra Stores, a spot previously occupied by the HTC M8.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I don't have a firm grasp on product development and support but one would think that with the resources Microsoft has, in both money and brilliant staff, they'd be able to create a fast and agile team to support these developing platforms. If you're late entering the game and are trying to play catch-up, you need to work twice as hard and fast as the next guy.

Exactly. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there's a limit. Fanboys are usually quick to jump to their defense and say X and Y take time to implement, but come on - this is one of the largest companies in the world, not some ramshackle startup with 10 guys on staff. It's positively unfathomable how MS just can't seem to get it together and are perpetually at least a generation behind.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

Exactly. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there's a limit. Fanboys are usually quick to jump to their defense and say X and Y take time to implement, but come on - this is one of the largest companies in the world, not some ramshackle startup with 10 guys on staff. It's positively unfathomable how MS just can't seem to get it together and are perpetually at least a generation behind.

MS could get it together but the team/effort behind Windows Phone has never been a full company effort. WP7 was made with a tiny team in a very short period of time (go look at the early videos and they discuss frankly how small the team was) and MS has never really gotten behind the platform. I fully expect a switch to Android with WP GUI within the next 3 years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Windows Phone team has been merged with the Windows team. Theoretically things on the software front should get better. Assuming Microsoft can keep up a fast pace across the whole project. I mean, we went from Windows 8 to 8.1 Update 1 in a rather short time, which is surprising. Altho the plan's currently back on ice trying to get Windows 9 out of the door, hoping to recreate the Vista->7 effect.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Except that until Nadella took over, Microsoft was big and bloated with too many middle managers and insular departments that wouldn't share or collaborate with each other. Only a great deal of money, talent, and leadership (or a disaster) could get Microsoft to move at a brisker pace. I just hope that the recent layoffs and restructuring at the company actually does payoff.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I was a big Fanboy back in the WP7 era, then Microsoft Killed off Zune and neutered their very good music service in prep for their still horrible on PC and Phone replacement of Xbox music. I still have a Zune pass and plan to keep it, but man it sucks compared to what it was.

Then WP7 got 7.8 which was good, but WP8 came out, and while it brought new features, talk about a slap in the face to users who were early adopters or just got a "The Beta Test is Over" Lumia at that time.

Then 8.1 comes out and offers more new features, but also removes even more core features that made WP7 so unique and nice to use.

8.1 Update 1 continues down that path.

Meanwhile, new devices are trickling out at a snails pace and flagship phones pop up here and there on a single carrier, and Nokia is pretty much the only real name in town. (HTC One W8 soon, Samsun Ativ S/SE/SSE/SSEESSE within the US only mostly). And all the Nokia employees getting laid off, have to be really pissed considering they probably though they were secure as Microsoft's new Mobile division. I really hope they can get ReHired under the new Org just as a restructured position shuffle or something. (Otherwise Finland has every right to be pissed).

Android has slowly pulled me in a bit, I still hate many of the interface elements that either Google nor OEM's can seam to program around and not make a blatant pain in the rear end, however even simple things that I liked like copy and paste and text selection in WP7, has been broken to be more like Android in WP8.1 so I can't even go back to something I liked because Microsoft keeps breaking the Unique features and designs they create only to remove them down the line for the same crap that already exist and is not an improvement.

The same can be said with movement in Windows 8. I enjoyed 8 even though a lot of people couldn't adapt. 8.1 Pretty much fixed all the PC interactivity issues I saw that did make working on a PC with a M/KB but then 8.1 Update 1 came out and broke the visual design even more and soon probably with whatever next visual changes come, or Windows 9, we will be back to the same old Windows 7+ Interface (depending on device) and God know what will still work, and what will be worse off since apparently Microsoft got Spooked from any good Visual Innovation after Metro got shot to poo poo from the masses that still used XP.

I still love using Windows 8.1, but man everything else around it that keeps changing for the worse keeps pissing me off. There is only so long someone can hold out and keep saying "It will get better" before burn out. Don't even get me started on the whole Mapped Drives to a NAS share bullshit they broke in Update 1 that requires some stupid registry fix or weird playing with UAC for programs to work again.

gently caress I miss Zune.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I've been on WP since 7.0 with a Samsung Focus, but I have to say that it looks like Android UI will finally look good and consistent aesthetically with L and if nothing interesting happens with the Threshold push next spring, that might be my cue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

Android UI will finally look good and consistent aesthetically with L

Don't bet on that, but it's alright that Google can't even read it's own style guide as if there's something you don't like on Android you can swap it out (except the core OS which is why the main Goon suggestion is Nexus/Moto/Sony or nothing).