Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Type B is terrified and type K is happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

im pooping! posted:

Type B is terrified and type K is happy.

Type K is just trying to trick kids into sticking a bobby pin in there.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Angela Christine posted:

Type K is just trying to trick kids into sticking a bobby pin in there.

I did this with type B on a dare in middle school and shorted out the lights in a couple rooms. Hooooly christ am I glad my young dumb self listened to a classmate and wrapped the paperclip with a rubber band.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mrkillboy posted:

This week in dubious logo design

This isn't dubious. It's very deliberate. Think of another word for rooster...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rita Repulsa posted:

this is what plugs look like to most people and you could not put that in there

That is objectively not what plugs look like to most people.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

HelmetCheese posted:

I did this with type B on a dare in middle school and shorted out the lights in a couple rooms. Hooooly christ am I glad my young dumb self listened to a classmate and wrapped the paperclip with a rubber band.

My brother once somehow managed to accidentally get a cheap, metal bracelet he was wearing to lay across the two top prongs of a half-plugged-in Type I.
(this one:
)

He was thrown halfway across the room, and had 3rd-degree burns for about 5cm either side of the chain, and 2nd-degree burns all over his hand and up past his elbow.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I think he meant most human people.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

PittTheElder posted:

G is the best. I use type C where I live now and they are sketchy as gently caress, wobbly, no fuse, no earth, no loving switch on the wall. How did these pass any safety standard?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Can we not get patriotic about our loving power cords

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Reginald Bathwater posted:

We're not. We're getting patriotic about the plugs on the ends :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
240V @ 50Hz for life!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo these pictures are hilarious.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Reginald Bathwater posted:

On the other hand, can we PLEASE get patriotic about our loving power chords? Thanks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Please don't gently caress power cords.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Better the cords than the sockets, I guess...

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Solice Kirsk posted:

They better make the best damned biscuits and gravy.

Given it's in Cardiff, Wales I highly doubt it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Given it's in Cardiff, Wales I highly doubt it.

Oh wow, this place is in my city! I guess I have to go visit it at some point.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Slime posted:

Oh wow, this place is in my city! I guess I have to go visit it at some point.
Bora da o Pen-y-bont!

Looks like it is a food van, so you would need to track it down. I suspect they will change the logo within a year once the main family festivals stop booking them for having a penis-logo.

Talking of which, have an old favourite:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Mister Adequate posted:

Wow 17 different types and only Type G doesn't feel like it's going to fall out of the socket at the slightest breeze.

Close, it's actually type F.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Adequate posted:

Wow 17 different types and only Type G doesn't feel like it's going to fall out of the socket at the slightest breeze.

Type L looks cool though, good for you Chile :unsmith:

Australian ones (Type I) actually have the prongs slightly bent in, so that there's some positive pressure keeping them in the socket.

"My company started up an Alzheimer's charity called Miles for Memories. My boss didn't understand why I giggled at the logo"

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Someone's probably done that in real life at some point. People really frickin' love dressing up their horses in weird costumes.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
When the horses revolt, these are the photos they'll use when taking humanity to trial.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

N. Senada posted:

When the horses revolt, these are the photos they'll use when taking humanity to trial.

That last picture is clearly a donkey. Jackass. :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Adequate posted:

Type L looks cool though, good for you Chile :unsmith:

If by "cool" you mean "having a polarized plug is impossible" then yes! Very cool!

Unless I'm being daft...I don't see any way to keep someone from inserting it upside-down, which is fine if you don't need to differentiate between hot and neutral, but there's a LOT of electrical equipment that does need to differentiate.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

mrkillboy posted:

This week in dubious logo design

kazil posted:

This isn't dubious. It's very deliberate. Think of another word for rooster...

On a similar theme...

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

DrBouvenstein posted:

If by "cool" you mean "having a polarized plug is impossible" then yes! Very cool!

Unless I'm being daft...I don't see any way to keep someone from inserting it upside-down, which is fine if you don't need to differentiate between hot and neutral, but there's a LOT of electrical equipment that does need to differentiate.

C, E and F types, the most common ones used, are not polarized. Equipment should deal with it as it's alternating current after all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gbut posted:

C, E and F types, the most common ones used, are not polarized. Equipment should deal with it as it's alternating current after all.

The electronics can handle it just fine, it's more a safety and appliance design issue - when designing an electrical appliance (at least, one that conforms to electrical standards), you need to take a lot more care with the hot wire than with the neutral. If you use unpolarized plugs, suddenly the "neutral" wire needs to be protected to the same standards as the "hot" wire.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

This is on Granby Street in Leicester, I live 2 minutes way from there. It's been that way for years. The owners know.

Street view

The funny thing is that apparently even the council are aware of the signage but keeps signing it off as totally ok. The building itself is scheduled for a revamp as its grade II listed yet the most common concern raised by the public is if the sign will go. So they keep it.

Zedsdeadbaby has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Aug 11, 2014

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Frostwerks posted:

You'd think that would warrant a "Notice" instead but some people just looove being dramatic.

Yeah, except people call the cops on people who own old horses. I guess they get pretty awful looking as they age so people assume they're being mistreated and call the authorities on the owners. We had a farm near me put the same notice out.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Did someone say horse costume?

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Aerox posted:

Did someone say horse costume?

why is this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sex, naturally.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

karl fungus posted:

What do pedophiles and Star Trek fans have in common?
everything

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wasn't there some actual study that found that a really astonishingly high number (like, 97%) of all convicted pedophiles were Star Trek fans?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alabaster White posted:

Wasn't there some actual study that found that a really astonishingly high number (like, 97%) of all convicted pedophiles were Star Trek fans?

It wasn't a study, just a statement released by the LAPD.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-ladowsky/pedophilia-and-star-trek_b_5857.html

The Huffington Post posted:

The LA Times recently ran a story about the Child Exploitation Section of the Toronto Sex Crimes Unit, which contained a mind-boggling statistic: of the more than 100 offenders the unit has arrested over the last four years, "all but one" has been "a hard-core Trekkie." Blogger Ernest Miller thought this claim was improbable. "I could go to a science fiction convention," he explained "and be less likely to find that 99+ percent of the attendees were hard-core Trekkies." While there may be quibbling about the exact numbers, the Toronto detectives claim that the connection is undeniable.

In fact, Star Trek paraphernalia has so routinely been found at the homes of the pedophiles they've arrested that it has become a gruesome joke in the squad room. (On the wall, there is a Star Trek poster with the detectives' faces replacing those of the crew members). This does not mean that watching Star Trek makes you a pedophile. It does mean that if you're a pedophile, odds are you've watched a lot of Star Trek.

Also of note, domestic pool deaths triple in years that Adam Sandler movies are released.

• Locked thread