Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The idea was that the memory problems are from studying for/taking the bar. If only I'd gone on that bender, maybe I'd remember my parents' faces! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Is the bar a solid week of 8 hour tests, that to pass you have memorize thousands of pages of questions and answers for? Because if it isn't lawyers complain about it too much.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 11, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

BrandorKP posted:

Is the bar a solid week of 8 hour tests, that to pass you have memories thousands of pages of questions and answers for? Because if it isn't lawyers complain about it too much.

The true horror of the bar is in how arbitrary it is - it's not that they test everything, it's that they don't test everything. Didn't study the fine details of worker's compensation law? gently caress you, that's one of your essays.

It's also a test administered to a cohort inclined to complain loudly and binge drink, which means it is an excuse to complain loudly and binge drink.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

nutranurse posted:

My whole problem with the movie is like wtf are they gonna do at the end? So the snow is melting, so what, it's still really loving cold, arctic levels of cold if a polar bear can just amble around like that. And what about repopulating the world, are there any other loving survivors out there or is the future of mankind really left up to some young Asian woman and the little black kid she's now suddenly charged with? :wtc: answer my questions damnit!

I know I shouldn't think too much about movies and stuff, but this is the kind of poo poo that bothers me about post-apocalyptic themed things.

The train thing is meant to be somewhat absurdist.

As for the rest: I interpreted the ending of that movie as being "humanity is hosed." I don't think there's any repopulating or realistic "future" of mankind to be had. That train was humanity's last hurrah.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Why would you ever take the DC bar? Doesn't DC accept reciprocity with every other state? Take the bar in a low threshold state instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wyoming bar. Practice Cow Law.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
How does the bar compare to other standardized tests?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

The true horror of the bar is in how arbitrary it is - it's not that they test everything, it's that they don't test everything. Didn't study the fine details of worker's compensation law? gently caress you, that's one of your essays.

It's also a test administered to a cohort inclined to complain loudly and binge drink, which means it is an excuse to complain loudly and binge drink.

USCG licenses are still worse. There is a randomized pool of questions for each section often unrelated to or outdated from good practices, or worse that are only answerable if memorized. Deck side guys have essays and navigational plots that if they fail they fail the entire thing for. And the people taking the test are from a profession not merely inclined to complain loudly and binge drink, but for whom that was part of the traditional job description (sailors).

Seriously a stack of books foot and a half high that consist only of multiple choice question like these (http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Engineering-Workbook-Third-Edition/dp/0963846744) that have to be memorized because they will be selected from randomly. Plus the dozens of actual real professional texts that one should read, apart from memorizing the questions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cheekio posted:

How does the bar compare to other standardized tests?

Awful and soul crushing. It took about 5 years off my life, at least. All for the "privilege" of charging people for legal advice.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I can explain it this way. I took and passed the FE without having to study or prepare just rolled in passed it. USCG exams were hard with six months of classes dedicated only to preparing for the test followed by two weeks of do nothing but study for the exams after a four year education that is primarily oriented towards enabling one to pass the test.

Better you don't even get your diploma if you fail.

Edit: I got so drunk afterwards that I ran back from the village to Penn station at a full sprint because I thought I could beat the subway. Once at Penn station I convinced a classmate that this was a good idea and that he should do the same.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 11, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanatosian posted:

The train thing is meant to be somewhat absurdist.

As for the rest: I interpreted the ending of that movie as being "humanity is hosed." I don't think there's any repopulating or realistic "future" of mankind to be had. That train was humanity's last hurrah.

It's also an ongoing comic book series isn't it? So there's probably answers there.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
pressuring jrodefeld about race is one really good way to deal with libertarians, but everybody arguing with him on theory is really just conceding the discussion to an area he feels safe in

the best way to short-circuit libertarians, austrians, ancaps etc is to keep the discussion in practical, real-world scenarios and historical examples, because that poo poo never actually works in practice

of course the dude just ignores problematic posts so i guess that's just pissing in the wind anyhow

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zeitgueist posted:

pressuring jrodefeld about race is one really good way to deal with libertarians, but everybody arguing with him on theory is really just conceding the discussion to an area he feels safe in

the best way to short-circuit libertarians, austrians, ancaps etc is to keep the discussion in practical, real-world scenarios and historical examples, because that poo poo never actually works in practice

of course the dude just ignores problematic posts so i guess that's just pissing in the wind anyhow

What if we got everyone to only present him with the real-world stuff? This is why we need some kind of governing body for D&D.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where's his libertarian thread? There's only one poo poo rated thread on the first page and it's the monsanto one.

Also I've long found it funny that there has never been a purely gold rated thread in D&D.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Where's his libertarian thread? There's only one poo poo rated thread on the first page and it's the monsanto one.

Also I've long found it funny that there has never been a purely gold rated thread in D&D.

Here it is.

All threads are fiat threads.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What if we got everyone to only present him with the real-world stuff? This is why we need some kind of governing body for D&D.

well dammit if people just did what i wanted them to

made of bees
May 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Political cartoons thread has been gold before, and the Brian Boyko thread was for a while before people started taking it seriously.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
didn't "The perfect debate" or whatever go gold?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thread voting should be public.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just like union ballots :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Wyoming bar. Practice Cow Law.

Just write "the 10th amendment" in crayon as your answer for every question.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Just write "the 10th amendment" in crayon as your answer for every question.

I'm watching Longmire and I kinda want to move to Wyoming and be a sherriff's deputy.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Brian Boyko thread was gold, bringing everyone together.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Thread voting should be public.

Like everything else only mods can see, it's intensely boring. Most threads only get a dozen or so votes. There are also people who spend their time voting one on every thread.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Do you mean perfect 5.0 average or just all the bars gold? Plenty have been all gold, but the 5.0 is kind of silly since random lurkers or people who hate SA vote poo poo 1. The Truth About Gaza has 2 1 votes and one of them is from someone with "lurker" in their name. The rest are all 5s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Like everything else only mods can see, it's intensely boring. Most threads only get a dozen or so votes. There are also people who spend their time voting one on every thread.

Yeah and I want to know who these weiners are.

XyloJW posted:

Do you mean perfect 5.0 average or just all the bars gold?

I mean the latter.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Can you see people voting the same on the same thread over and over again?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It's just a cry for help, constantly telling the mods that none of these threads fill the void within them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

made of bees posted:

Can you see people voting the same on the same thread over and over again?

You can only vote on a thread once.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I know it doesn't do anything, but you can still click on the bar every time you view the thread, presumably there's someone trying it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only ever vote threads by accident when I fat finger the bar on my ipad. Unfortunately it's almost always one and then I have to go back and vote it five so mods/admins if you see a thread vote from me it were and accident.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It just shows a list of names in descending order of their votes.

And, yes, there really are people who choose the 2-4 options for some reason. :shrug:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Can votes be changed later on?

Also, what determines whether a thread ends up in the goldmine, or in comedy purgatory?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hedera Helix posted:

Can votes be changed later on?

Also, what determines whether a thread ends up in the goldmine, or in comedy purgatory?

Lol you think there are rules to this poo poo.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655464

Also the Oliver piece on payday owns loving crushed.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I don't vote in D&D threads because what's the point? My vote doesn't count anyway :(

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone fancy meeting up after this event tia

The National Press Club posted:

Consumer advocate Ralph Nader and anti-tax activist Grover Norquist plan to speak at a National Press Club luncheon Sept. 4 on issues where they feel the left and right can come together.

Lunch will be served at 12:30 p.m., with remarks beginning at 1 p.m., followed by a question-and-answer session ending at 2 p.m. Tickets cost $22 for Press Club members(NPC Members may purchase two tickets at this rate) and $36 for all other non-member tickets, and may be purchased here. For questions, please email reservations@press.org or call (202)662-7501. Tickets must be paid for at the time of purchase.

NPC Members who wish to attend the pre-luncheon reception must RSVP separately to VIPreception@press.org 48 hours before the event. Space may be limited. You must have a paid reservation to the Luncheon to attend the VIP reception.

To submit a question in advance, put NADER-NORQUIST in the subject line and email to president@press.org before 10 a.m. on the day of the luncheon.

You won't have to pay, if you show up with a signed pledge.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

lotta people in the Middle East thread who don't know poo poo about Iraq and can't be bothered to look at a map or wikipedia

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

What's the average pass/fail rate for US bar exams? It feels like US lawgoons bitch even more about the bar than my German peers do about our first and second state exam combined.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Gail Wynand posted:

lotta people in the Middle East thread who don't know poo poo about Iraq and can't be bothered to look at a map or wikipedia
the worst thing is how little it took for warlust to pop up again. it's like every page, there's two new atrocities committed by ISIS added to the list, one which has been debunked on the page before and one ISIS actually did. i mean, i think that in this case it's better to intervene, but you can hold that stance without believing every bit of propaganda and blindly following the US line. like when questions about what the plan is, what steps will be undertaken to avoid civilian casualties or the suggestion that ISIS aren't simply cartoon villains - when these things get a response going from pushback to getting shouted down, it's worrying at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Randler posted:

What's the average pass/fail rate for US bar exams? It feels like US lawgoons bitch even more about the bar than my German peers do about our first and second state exam combined.

Depends on the state, but New York (one of the more popular destinations) has an overall combined pass rate of 64%, but if you limit it to people who attended accredited law schools in the U.S. taking it for the first time (your prime bitching demographic) it's 85%.

The volume of bitching has more to do with the population than the actual test, though it doesn't help that the test has very little to do with anything you study in law school in the U.S.

• Locked thread