Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

ShaneB posted:

Did a few things on the new bike last evening. First was checking the idle speed and adjusting the throttle position sensor. This was surprisingly straightforward and only required ordering a torx security set off Amazon. My bike was supplying more fuel at a really high 4,000 RPM instead of 1,450 or so as it should, I guess. So some minute adjustments got it back to that. I couldn't test it because my valve stem is cracked and the tires aren't holding air. But new stems and tires go on Saturday.

I also replaced the dumb Suburban Machinery bars with some superbike bars, which was harder than expected. All the cables are just long enough to reach the bars, and I put some things on in the wrong order, so it was a pain. But in the end everything is on and feels a lot more ergonomic.

Can't wait to get the new tires on and put this thing through the paces.

Are you saying your bike was idling at 4000 RPM's? That's crazy high.

Also, if you'd like to ditch those SM bars feel free to airlift them to my place :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Are you saying your bike was idling at 4000 RPM's? That's crazy high.

Also, if you'd like to ditch those SM bars feel free to airlift them to my place :shepspends:

No the idle was 1100. The ecu was fueling more generously at 4000 which creates some juddering at lower rpms. If you want to buy them they are yours. They are the discontinued type 1s.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

ShaneB posted:

No the idle was 1100. The ecu was fueling more generously at 4000 which creates some juddering at lower rpms. If you want to buy them they are yours. They are the discontinued type 1s.

PM'd.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Christ. More stock-like superbike bars, R6 throttle sleeve, new grips, and new Pilot Road 4's went on this weekend. What a really lovely bike this is. I'm feeling more at home on this than I have on any other bike I've ridden, besides maybe the FZ-09 test ride I did.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ShaneB posted:

What a really lovely bike this is. I'm feeling more at home on this than I have on any other bike I've ridden

Care to expand a bit on this? I'm leaning towards SV's as well lately and I cant decide if it should be alongside my DRZ or in lieu of.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Care to expand a bit on this? I'm leaning towards SV's as well lately and I cant decide if it should be alongside my DRZ or in lieu of.

Negatory, you're gonna want to join the FZ1 club.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've owned like 50 bikes though, and none of them have been a V-twin, I think I have to do a V-twin this time around. Which V-twin, I dont know yet.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Negatory, you're gonna want to join the FZ1 club.

I almost joined the FZ1 club but decided against it. I couldn't find a gen2 worth getting under 5 grand.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When reading this realize that my bike has suspension mods so a stock bike might not be directly comparable.

Let's see, what I like about it:
- Very ideal ergos for me. Upright stance and good visibility without feeling like I'm on stilts like I felt on my KLR650.
- Good power delivery without any surgey EFI, especially after dialing in the throttle position monitor. Engine has solid and controllable power for around town or blasting around cars on the interstate.
- I love the handling. I feel supremely confident after fewer than 50 miles in the saddle on it. It responds to my inputs very telepathically.
- So far easy to work on, but I'm not sure that's especially unique to the SV or anything.
- I like the neo-classic vibe of the bike. It feels like some kind of evolution of a CB550 or something, with the big front single headlight and naked styling, but aggressive frame and tail section, and, you know, isn't a boring/antiquated old UJM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, I'm realizing as of late that what I love about the DRZ is that it is incredibly confidence inspiring and the handling is great, moreso than the ability to ride down stairs or off loading docks, which I rarely (never) do. My commute also just went from 4 miles to 30 miles, one way. I dont want to give that confident handling up though, so I'm trying to find something that retains that while giving me better highway abilities.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Any bike with proper suspension setup and good tires should be quite confidence inspiring - I'd consider something like an older Tuono if I was looking for a twin. The SV is fun, light, and flickable, but pretty poo poo stock, the Tuono is significantly better stock.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've ridden a few SV's that were modded to different degrees and I don't think I could personally ride one for too long without getting bored. I'm sure if it's your first bike it keeps that fresh, exciting feeling longer but eventually you get kind of sick of it being gutless.

The one good thing about coming off a DRZ is that everything feels like a loving spaceship in comparison. It does suck losing out on the low speed handling and maneuverability of the dirt bike though. Also, being able to just pick the tail up with one hand to move it where you want :haw:

I like that Tuono suggestion. Hell maybe even a Monster if you aren't as concerned about power? I almost picked one up after the DRZ but the lack of the rear seat is a deal breaker.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've ridden a few SV's that were modded to different degrees and I don't think I could personally ride one for too long without getting bored. I'm sure if it's your first bike it keeps that fresh, exciting feeling longer but eventually you get kind of sick of it being gutless.

The one good thing about coming off a DRZ is that everything feels like a loving spaceship in comparison. It does suck losing out on the low speed handling and maneuverability of the dirt bike though. Also, being able to just pick the tail up with one hand to move it where you want :haw:

I like that Tuono suggestion. Hell maybe even a Monster if you aren't as concerned about power? I almost picked one up after the DRZ but the lack of the rear seat is a deal breaker.

It's my 5th bike and so far my favorite to ride. I'm usually the one saying the word "gutless" about bikes, and I certainly wouldn't call it that. Yeah the gen2 Tuono and FZ1s I test rode were way more punchy, but in stop-and-go Chicago traffic those just really aren't the best bikes.

I mean it's nothing special in the least but for the price I'm drat happy. In 2 years I'll be able to get a used FZ-09 or a Speed Triple or something and upgrade without losing much value.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am not at all concerned, nor worried about power. I got over that long ago. I'm a street-only rider, and the DRZ has more than enough punch for the street, let alone an SV that has about double the power output. Honestly, the bikes that I have grown the most bored with have been the most powerful bikes I've owned, perhaps because you cant use their power effectively on the street. I'm not bored with the DRZ, its just not a great commuter for my 60 mile a day commute on the highway. I love its down-low power and narrow profile, which is what has me interested in the SV.

I'll take the Tuono under consideration, but my innate fear of Italian electronics has me worried.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also what is this threads opinion on sv1k vs sv650?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
SV1k is meh vs. the 650. Loses a lot of the joy/fun with the extra weight, and doesn't make enough power to really be great.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It's the opposite of the bandits!

The secret big brother of the 650 is the TLR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, fine, I will hold out for a 650

Dear Suzuki, please build a DRZ-SM with an SV650 motor. It would be the SXV that never was. I will buy one and love it forever.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I put about 8 hours and 300 miles (lots of state highways and stops) on the new SV this weekend. I was impressed with the touring comfort on the bike, and never got numb hands or feet, and the stock seat wasn't even that bad. The soft luggage stayed put pretty well, but I need to purchase or make some kind of frame that attaches to a few points on the bike to keep the soft bags from rubbing around and bouncing into the bike. I might do something pretty hacky, as I don't exactly take trips often. PVC pipes seem like a start. :)

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

My 03 SV650s has been stored for about a year and a half. I took the battery off the tender, installed it back into the bike, and tried to start it up. Nothing, no power at all. I don't have that much mechanical knowledge so I don't really know where to go from here. Could it be that the battery is toast despite being on a tender? Should I check the fuses? :(

EDIT: I'm gonna go get it load tested.

Grimes fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 15, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Grimes posted:

My 03 SV650s has been stored for about a year and a half. I took the battery off the tender, installed it back into the bike, and tried to start it up. Nothing, no power at all. I don't have that much mechanical knowledge so I don't really know where to go from here. Could it be that the battery is toast despite being on a tender? Should I check the fuses? :(

EDIT: I'm gonna go get it load tested.

Did you check the kill switch? :)

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Did you check the kill switch? :)

Unfortunately, yes. I checked the fuses under the seat and they were fine, but I think I read the ignition fuse is under the gas-tank, so.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Grimes posted:

Unfortunately, yes. I checked the fuses under the seat and they were fine, but I think I read the ignition fuse is under the gas-tank, so.

Every fuse is under the seat on an 03 AFAIK.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Every fuse is under the seat on an 03 AFAIK.
Good to know. Someone on an SV650 forum said that one was under the tank, but maybe I was mistaken or they were.

Had the battery tested and it's dead. Anyone have suggestions for a replacement? I'm in Canada.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Please Please tell me this is a cam chain tensioner and not my valves, bike only has 8k on it and my last valve adjustment didn't go too well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM1kvCZUF8A&feature=youtu.be

this bike is so much nicer than my 250 but now every little noise scares me...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bear in mind I don't know exactly what that is, and do not know as much as others here. But, since nobody has replied, that doesn't sound normal or good. Do you have enough oil in the bike? Sounds like the valves on my old miata did (or every miata). Maybe take it to an expert to get it looked at, at least, before risking damage?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

But slappy valves are happy valves! Last time you did the adjustment did you leave them in the center of the range or on the loose end?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm no SV expert, but I've heard valves before and that sounds pretty normal for having a mic right next to the head. You would poo poo if you heard my Buell's valves clack-clack-clack away.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah that sounds pretty normal to me.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Sounds about like what both of my SV's sound (sounded?) like. Also Jim Silly Balls, just take a pass on the SV and get something else. The SV is great when you either throw a ton of cash and garage time at it, or if you're coming from a 250. I get the appeal of small bikes, and v twins, but the SV is a pretty loving boring bike if you've ever been on anything else. Buells are pretty fun for the v-twin experience and goofy rear end rotors, and are a blast (get it?) to ride. I mean, don't get a blast, but the XB12r etc are all boat loads of fun and v-twin paintshaking goodness.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats funny because I've spent a good deal of time on a VROD and found it to be mind-numbingly boring. I know thats not the same as a Buell, but its the highest performance Harley I've ridden.

I'm not really looking to trade up for all-out power, I'm looking to retain DRZ flickability with better highway manners

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats funny because I've spent a good deal of time on a VROD and found it to be mind-numbingly boring. I know thats not the same as a Buell, but its the highest performance Harley I've ridden.

I'm not really looking to trade up for all-out power, I'm looking to retain DRZ flickability with better highway manners

You said you wanted a 690, right?

:getin:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Vrods are heavy, and that engine has German blood, so it is humorless. Erik in comparison is a joker. The XBs are absolutely silly fun to ride and go pretty good until they run out of gear at 125ish. The 0-90mph range is hoodlum-heaven.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

You said you wanted a 690, right?

:getin:

Yeah pretty much this is your only option.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So there's a SV650 close to me that is the right price, but it's a 2000 with 22k miles. New-ish tires (<500 miles) and it looks pretty good. I'm going to go take a look at it on Monday. Anything specific I should watch out for on those bikes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nope, they're pretty solid - if it has charging issues, it's probably the R/R. Valuve adjust should have been done, check chain, brake pads, sprockets, brake fluid color, etc.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Where could I pick up a set of rearsets for my 08 SV650s? Should I just lurk the SvRider for sale listings until something pops up? And, will any 2nd gen rear sets fit my model year? I kind of also want an M4 or some other exhaust after hearing all the other SVs at the track day I went to yesterday. :X

Lastly, do any of the rearsets support using the factor rear brake light switch, or will I be forced to buy an aftermarket switch?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any gen 2 ones will fit. SV-racing-parts tends to have cheap stuff, or chinese knockoffs are sometimes decent. Brake switch depends on the rearsets, sometimes they support it, most of the time they don't.

Or you could spend 45 bucks on rearset riser plates and get most of the benefit at a fraction of the cost.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Where could I pick up a set of rearsets for my 08 SV650s? Should I just lurk the SvRider for sale listings until something pops up? And, will any 2nd gen rear sets fit my model year? I kind of also want an M4 or some other exhaust after hearing all the other SVs at the track day I went to yesterday. :X

Lastly, do any of the rearsets support using the factor rear brake light switch, or will I be forced to buy an aftermarket switch?

I like my Danmotos, you get to keep your rear brake switch. Quality control is almost assuredly an issue but I've had mine for several thousand miles now and haven't had any real issues. Had to bend out the shift rod a little because it rubbed but otherwise works great for the price.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Do I need anything special to swap my rear sprocket? The PO had a smaller sprocket on there and I want to switch it back to stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Just bought a 2008 sv650 a couple weeks ago, got it with 24k miles for 2k, one dent on the gas tank but otherwise good condition. It came with 520 conversion (sprockets + chain) Pazzo Levers, Suburban Machinery Type 2 handlebar, Stomp grips, and a Delkevic oil cooler.

One question I wanted to ask, I'm shot about 5'7", and when I'm on the bike I'm not flat footed like i'd want to be, aside from shaving the seat, is there any other way to lower the bike, maybe by 1"-2" without messing the suspension up royally ?

Also does anyone know of any good reading material with safety type tips that I can go over? I'm a little new to riding, and I had a friend recommend this bike to me, I've been out on it and it's a good amount of fun, so far I enjoy it. But now that I have gotten a bit of a feel for riding, I'd like to read up on some stuff and try to form good habits as I go along.

• Locked thread