Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Its fun to make fun of hipster videos that try to make restoring/modding older bikes into something serious or emphasize the ~~tangible connection to the past~~ or ~~authenticity~~ of old bikes, but CA's raging hatred for anything old or old modified bikes is getting a little tedious.

Automotive Insanity doesn't get like that with cars, even though hipsters like old cars too, why does this bother CA so much.

AI gets enraged about form over function too. But seriously, look at this:

What do you think is going to happen when that bike goes over the slightest bump or tries to turn? The wheel will end up inside the steering stem. How is that good?

Lots of people on here own and ride old bikes so I'm not sure why you think CA hates old bikes. I don't like old bikes because they all feel heavy, loose, lovely, slow and constantly break down. But some people do, and that's fine. Some of the coolest modified old bikes I've seen are owned by posters here, like sage's CL for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ADINSX posted:

Its fun to make fun of hipster videos that try to make restoring/modding older bikes into something serious or emphasize the ~~tangible connection to the past~~ or ~~authenticity~~ of old bikes, but CA's raging hatred for anything old or old modified bikes is getting a little tedious.

Automotive Insanity doesn't get like that with cars, even though hipsters like old cars too, why does this bother CA so much.

Allow me to counter your argument with pictures.

HMMMMM, this bike has potential, lets make it better.

PERFECT

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ElMaligno posted:

Allow me to counter your argument with pictures.

HMMMMM, this bike has potential, lets make it better.

PERFECT

I'm still convinced, to this day, that the guy who made that thing was just loving with BMW and decided to have a blast making as lovely as a loving bike as he possibly could, then watched as BMW's marketing team had to swallow hard and put it on their website.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Do hipsters like old cars, though? I'm pretty sure cars are against their "urban aesthetic".

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Radbot posted:

Do hipsters like old cars, though? I'm pretty sure cars are against their "urban aesthetic".

Eh I think it depends on the region of hipster. If you're stuck in a town where its really really hard to get around without a car they like 240s, bmw 2002s, stuff like that.

Hmm what do fairings do? They're like, barricades against marauders when you're riding in the mad max universe right? That sounds right, I'll make them like that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Between that and an SV650, that.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

titanium posted:

But I also have this for fast/fun runs (those were new tires and the bike was new the strips are gone)

What helmet is that? I like the F-35 look it has.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Is it lost on all of you that the one who kicked this hornet's nest rides a retro factory cafe with a screw down cowl and an rear end end higher than an RM 250?

I kid because I love. The bike, that is.

Also: I can't speak for all of CA, but the sight of a bobber/cafe/brat irreversibly victimized by someone with no design or fabrication skills makes many of us shed tiny eagle tears. It's like a 14 year old kid "relicing" a perfectly good guitar, rather than learning how to actually play the thing.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

ADINSX posted:

Can't speak for the rest of CA but I have no problem with old bikes, I've owned 76CB750ss and a CB400 in the past, they were cool little bikes and look ok, I really like old euro bikes. Please stop attributing opinions to me which you've made up in your head. Thanks.

I have nor problem with modified bikes either.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Melvin Jules Bukiet posted:

Your father is dead, or your mother, and so are most of the Jews of Europe, and the World Trade Center’s gone, and racism prevails, and sex murders occur. What is, is. The real is the true, and anything that suggests otherwise, no matter how artfully constructed, is a violation of human experience.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If any of you actually read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence, you'd know that Quality is beyond Objectivity, and therefore "The hipster's bike is bad" is an infallible statement.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Oglogoth posted:

It's a Roof Boxer and I like it quite a bit, you look like Marvin the Martian when you flip the face all the way up.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

Oglogoth posted:

Like the type of helmet someone would stick a gaudy pink or green mohawk on top and wear a baggy "if you can read this the bitch fell off" hoodie.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey a video of a new idea for a three wheel motorcycle. Guess where they want to put the third wheel? Not up there. Not back there. Not even to the side. I don't even... http://youtu.be/cVfwMNtCpvE

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
First with the cycle centipede reference

M42
Nov 12, 2012

But why.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"French designer..." should be enough explanation for why, if French cars are anything to go by.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Deeters posted:

If any of you actually read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence, you'd know that Quality is beyond Objectivity, and therefore "The hipster's bike is bad" is an infallible statement.

I want to be a 12 o'clock boy irl

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What happened to the one with the Honda motor?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

open24hours posted:

What happened to the one with the Honda motor?

Its still there, it got pushed to the back burner in lieu of my F11 getting an RM250 front end and the DRZ just existing.

I think I need a new cam for the Honda motor as it runs and idles fine but will not rev at all.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Is this cool? Because I think it's really loving cool :ohdear:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

dev null posted:

It's almost cool, he needs to get rid of those crazy tall bars and that front fender. Then it'd be badass.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dev null posted:

Its loving awesome, its the one bike I'll never get rid of.

n8r posted:

It's almost cool, he needs to get rid of those crazy tall bars and that front fender. Then it'd be badass.

Those are both factory items, at least

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

I bought a Grom.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Legdiian posted:

I bought a Grom.

please tell me thats a picture of you riding it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Legdiian posted:

I bought a Grom.

What do you think of it? Do you use it as an "advanced" scooter for commuting through the city to work?

I always thought of the Grom as the answer to a question nobody was asking, but the more I read about the thing, the more it appears I am wrong.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Ripoff posted:

What do you think of it? Do you use it as an "advanced" scooter for commuting through the city to work?

I always thought of the Grom as the answer to a question nobody was asking, but the more I read about the thing, the more it appears I am wrong.

Just turned 40 miles last night. I have an R6 and 749 but this thing is a loving blast. 8hp at the rear wheel. I'm 6' 215lbs and I can hit around 60 on level ground. Topped out at 68 down a slight grade. I have yet to pull into a parking lot where someone didn't approach me with questions about it.

I bought it because I'm terrible with money and spend it on stupid things.

The worst part about it is I find myself cutting across parking lots at 50mph, jumping over curbs and I have to stop and think "wait, this thing has a license plate on it".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ripoff posted:

Since I own the below bike

Which is basically a vintage Grom, I can speak a bit to this. Little bikes like that make a ton more sense when you look at them as scooters on steroids, rather than tiny motorcycles. If you're cross-shopping them with full-size bikes that can go 3x as fast, make 10x the horsepower, have 4x the range, they dont make a ton of sense. When you look at them through a scooter lens, they are head and shoulders above their competition.

The RV makes about 10HP or so, will go 50mph, carry two people, luggage, etc, is honestly very capable off-road, handles great on-road, swappable gearing, manual trans, and thats on a bike from 1972. Compare that to something modern like a Metropolitan, or even a ruckus, and its not even a competition.

I think thats the problem a lot of people have with the Grom. They see it as a motorcycle (because it is), and it falls way short of even bikes like the Ninja 250/TU250X and the like. Start looking at it through the lens of a scooter and it not only makes a ton more sense, but becomes one of, if not THE best option, outside of mega-scooters like the T-Max or Burgman

Legdiian posted:

The worst part about it is I find myself cutting across parking lots at 50mph, jumping over curbs and I have to stop and think "wait, this thing has a license plate on it".

This too, they're like mini-supermotos, or big BMX bikes, depending on how you look at it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 12, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Start looking at it through the lens of a scooter and it not only makes a ton more sense, but becomes one of, if not THE best option, outside of mega-scooters like the T-Max or Burgman.

Yeah, no offense, but I don't think you know your scooters that well. The Grom being better than two 50cc scooters. Sure. But not current 150 - 300 cc scooters they make now. I mean poo poo the engine in the Grom comes from scooters. But take something like the Forza or Bv350 which are putting out 30hp or so, can carry two people and have real luggage capacity the Grom doesn't win it's case as conclusively as you make it out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I still think those fall under the mega scooter category, but either way, the point still stands that when you compare it to machines like that, it still holds advantages in suspension, gearing, transmission, off-roadability, etc.

The big scooters can make more power, sure, but they still dont win in every category.

Regardless, when the average joe thinks of a scooter, they dont think of some never-seen-outside-of-the-internet piaggio, they think of the scoots you see every single day on the street, most of them 50cc, most of them Mets, Rucks, a few Yamahas, and some shameful Chinese junk.

Of course there are scooters that outperform the Grom, and even outperform some smaller motorcycles, but for the average person those never were and never will be a viable option when you can get a popular 50cc scooter or a Grom from your local Honda dealer. The BV350 is for people who really know scooters and really know what they want, not for the average scooter shopper off the street. The SH150i is a more apt comparison as a scoot that you would actually see in the real world that can probably outperform the Grom, but even those arent all that common.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I still think those fall under the mega scooter category, but either way, the point still stands that when you compare it to machines like that, it still holds advantages in suspension, gearing, transmission, off-roadability, etc.

The big scooters can make more power, sure, but they still dont win in every category.

Regardless, when the average joe thinks of a scooter, they dont think of some never-seen-outside-of-the-internet piaggio, they think of the scoots you see every single day on the street, most of them 50cc, most of them Mets, Rucks, a few Yamahas, and some shameful Chinese junk.

Of course there are scooters that outperform the Grom, and even outperform some smaller motorcycles, but for the average person those never were and never will be a viable option when you can get a popular 50cc scooter or a Grom from your local Honda dealer. The BV350 is for people who really know scooters and really know what they want, not for the average scooter shopper off the street. The SH150i is a more apt comparison as a scoot that you would actually see in the real world that can probably outperform the Grom, but even those arent all that common.

A fairly pointless derail, but small-capacity scooters make up the vast majority of worldwide bike sales, it's really only America where that's not the case. The RSV4 is a great bike but it's not really contributing much to Piaggio being the 4th-largest bike manufacturer in the world.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cycle Asylum: not for the average scooter shopper off the street *flicks a cigarette at u*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, yeah, that argument might fall apart outside of the US, but WHO CARES :clint:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Can we argue less about if the grom is the best, and just admit it's the best? I want to live vicariously through Legdiian and he needs to post more pictures/trip reports of tiny hooning. It really is too bad it's so expensive and unable to do highway riding.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Supermoto: still cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Vx1gIz2No

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What sort of tyres do they run? A dirt/tarmac compromise?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

Can we argue less about if the grom is the best, and just admit it's the best? I want to live vicariously through Legdiian and he needs to post more pictures/trip reports of tiny hooning. It really is too bad it's so expensive and unable to do highway riding.

I see some little Tacoma Grom biker gang taking I-5 for an exit or two during rush hour every once in a while, apparently they can go fast enough.

And some nerd made a trip up to Alaska on one.

http://imgur.com/a/itDzJ

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 13, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

I would not have said loading one down with gear was possible. That thing must handle awful. It sells the grom even more, but I'd want to take it an hour or so up to the mountains, and I cannot imagine that going well on the highway. During traffic it would be very ok, I think, if people saw you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

What sort of tyres do they run? A dirt/tarmac compromise?

I rode a Dirt/Tarmac (60 miles round trip, about 70/20 dirt/pavement) loop with a bunch of dudes here in CO over the weekend. I run Avon Distanzias, but some of the guys were running Pilot Powers, and one was running Bridgestone Battleaxe tires.

Akion fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 13, 2014