Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It bugs me because they're quite detatched from everyone else except for the very end. I really didn't like Yedan that much since he had little characterization other than being super devout to his sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

amuayse posted:

It bugs me because they're quite detatched from everyone else except for the very end. I really didn't like Yedan that much since he had little characterization other than being super devout to his sister.
This is an interesting way to look at it.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004
So I'm about a quarter of the way through The Bonehunters right now. I just read the scene where Apsalar meets with Paran for the first time (post Sorry). One thing that has really jumped out at me is how in Memories of Ice when Paran first is thinking about sanctioning the House of Chains, Hood and other gods are all so against him doing so, but it seems like everyone else (Quick Ben, Apsalar, and others) instantly understand why sanctioning it would obviously be the best choice. I guess it just shows who the ones who really understand what the deal is are.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Holy_Zarquon posted:

So I'm about a quarter of the way through The Bonehunters right now. I just read the scene where Apsalar meets with Paran for the first time (post Sorry). One thing that has really jumped out at me is how in Memories of Ice when Paran first is thinking about sanctioning the House of Chains, Hood and other gods are all so against him doing so, but it seems like everyone else (Quick Ben, Apsalar, and others) instantly understand why sanctioning it would obviously be the best choice. I guess it just shows who the ones who really understand what the deal is are.

It's sort of the theme of the books that mortal humans (specifically Malazans) tend to be way smarter about those sort of things than the established gods and ascendants.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

It's sort of the theme of the books that mortal humans (specifically Malazans) tend to be way smarter about those sort of things than the established gods and ascendants.

I think I've picked up on that in other places too.

Question about the end of House of Chains. (I've tried to answer questions for myself before and know way too much I shouldn't now.)

What happened to the ghosts of the Bridgeburners after they ruined the Dogslayers? Technically, they've all ascended right? Are they still around in one warren or another?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Fret ye not; you will find out.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004

rejutka posted:

I expected this answer, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something from the end of the book.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

rejutka posted:

It's been a while but wasn't that in Dust of Dreams or something, when Whiskeyjack and the rest of the dead Bridgeburners roll into Dragnipur and bust it wide open?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm about halfway through Assail and I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely an Esslemont book so far in plot and writing goes. I enjoyed Blood and Bone a great deal despite what I felt was an unsatisfying conclusion and so far Assail has been at least as good as that one. ICE learned some lessons from the Jacuruku characters he came up with; the new cast members in this one all either have interesting things to do or are hanging out with other interesting characters. Nobody is as bland as the random guys from Stoneweilder. Speaking of that one it's nice that the Assail plot adds some follow-up to the events at the end of Stoneweilder, which didn't make it into OST or B&B.

I got a good laugh out of discovering early on that Kyle's birth name is Kylarral-Ten. ICE must have heard all the bitching over his too-normal name.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm about halfway through Assail and I'm enjoying it so far.

Didn't even know it was out. Thanks! Ordered it a minute ago.

Despite how much I bitch about ICE's writing, I can't get enough of this universe so I buy everything and read it all multiple times.

VVV Yes, use spoilers please.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm about halfway through Assail and I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely an Esslemont book so far in plot and writing goes. I enjoyed Blood and Bone a great deal despite what I felt was an unsatisfying conclusion and so far Assail has been at least as good as that one. ICE learned some lessons from the Jacuruku characters he came up with; the new cast members in this one all either have interesting things to do or are hanging out with other interesting characters. Nobody is as bland as the random guys from Stoneweilder. Speaking of that one it's nice that the Assail plot adds some follow-up to the events at the end of Stoneweilder, which didn't make it into OST or B&B.

I got a good laugh out of discovering early on that Kyle's birth name is Kylarral-Ten. ICE must have heard all the bitching over his too-normal name.

Yeah I just finished it today. Mechanically, it's still a bit unbalanced with a fair amount of just travelling place to place. Other ICE hallmarks remain, like the semi-oblivious character (Jute) who represents the reader while the more knowledgeable characters are tightlipped. Cyclopean count: 0, Turgid count: 1 :v:.

I agree though that each of the storyline characters was interesting this time. I think I liked Orman's the most and Silverfox the least, and it was interesting seeing as each sort of retraced the steps of the previous on their way in. If I went to this straight from ICE she would be a letdown I think.

I'm not sure how I feel about the conclusion to the arc. I felt the closure with Traveller was done very well in OST. The Guard ending was cool, but no payoff could cover the debt of what, 4 main books and many more tangential ones? Jethis, I don't know. I don't even want to talk about it for a while till more people are caught up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

coyo7e posted:

It's been a while but wasn't that in Dust of Dreams or something, when Whiskeyjack and the rest of the dead Bridgeburners roll into Dragnipur and bust it wide open?

They show up before that, too. And after.

Re: Assail - had it on my Kindle since it was released but haven't had time to read more than a few chapters, so I've got no opinions on the stories. The writing, however, seems to have taken a step back from B&B. Granted, still early - but there's a paragraph on the very first page that just made me face palm.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Habibi posted:

They show up before that, too. And after.

Re: Assail - had it on my Kindle since it was released but haven't had time to read more than a few chapters, so I've got no opinions on the stories. The writing, however, seems to have taken a step back from B&B. Granted, still early - but there's a paragraph on the very first page that just made me face palm.

Is he still doing that mysterious person for no good reason thing? That's incredibly irritating.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I just finished TtH after not reading the series for quite a few months. I'm not good at paying attention while reading, so I'm often confused while reading.

Anyways, I read the previews/reviews of the next two books and just wondered if everything else takes place on Lether and there is no more Durujistan and those characters. And last I remember reading (before starting TtH there were a bunch of people falling from space, what was that about?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

thylacine posted:

I just finished TtH after not reading the series for quite a few months. I'm not good at paying attention while reading, so I'm often confused while reading.

Anyways, I read the previews/reviews of the next two books and just wondered if everything else takes place on Lether and there is no more Durujistan and those characters. And last I remember reading (before starting TtH there were a bunch of people falling from space, what was that about?

That's right. The last two books are basically the same overall plot but split over 2 books. Takes place mostly on the Letheras continent.

Edit: And the people are the worshipers of the Crippled God from his realm if you mean the people in the jade interdimensional spaceships statues.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 9, 2014

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

thylacine posted:

The Darujhistan events are continued in Orb, Scepter, Throne, which you can read without being spoiled on the events in Dust of Dreams or The Crippled God. Erikson hints a few times that something is hidden within Darujhistan and that plotline is continued in Esslemont's book. OST also resolves what happens with Traveler, the fallen Moon's Spawn, and some of the living Bridgeburners. It's one of the better side-books Esslemont has written.

...Of course, then you'll be putting off the pure awesome that is DoD/TCG.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I finally finished up TCG last night. Started back in January I believe.

Easily the best series I have ever read. Leagues above anything else. Erikson is without a doubt the best writer in the genre. Definitely under appreciated I think.

While I would have liked to see another chapter that wrapped some other plot lines up, I was happy with how things ended.

The series kind of begs for a re-reading, so that should be interesting to do eventually.

Would have liked more Hood biting people's faces off. Draconus beating the Errant to death and Mael exacting some vengence on Mallick Rel wouldn't have gone astray. RIP Stormy and Gesler. Was not expecting them to become so integral to everything. It was obvious they were important, but drat. Thank loving christ Tool / Hetan / Toc had a happy ending. God drat that was a brutal story line.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Series definitely is better on reread, which is saying something. Mallick Rel ain't done yet.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

rejutka posted:

Is he still doing that mysterious person for no good reason thing? That's incredibly irritating.

Arrgh, yes, biggest fantasy lit pet peeve. I feel like both ICE and Erikson do that a lot, and a slew of other fantasy authors. Drives me nuts. Even worse when it's a character who never shows up again after their mystery chapter. I hate feeling like I have to review the chapter I just read after being ~*shocked*~ by the reveal of mystery POV, just to have all the context.

I appreciate GRRM and Brandon Sanderson for doing the opposite. "Wanna know who's seeing these things and having these thoughts? I named the chapter after them. You're welcome."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I can't think of any Erikson mystery people whose mysteriousness wasn't either warranted or naturally revealed as part of the story.

And Sanderson, yeah, the day he leaves anything to the imagination...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So reading Forge of Darkness a couple of names I've remembered but don't remember what they did in the main series exactly, which might become a running theme. Endest Silann was the undead Tiste Edur who was a dragon that create the hounds of shadow right? also I remember Sukul Ankhadu and don't know why either. These are just how they were in the original series if anyone can refresh my memory

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jose posted:

So reading Forge of Darkness a couple of names I've remembered but don't remember what they did in the main series exactly, which might become a running theme. Endest Silann was the undead Tiste Edur who was a dragon that create the hounds of shadow right? also I remember Sukul Ankhadu and don't know why either. These are just how they were in the original series if anyone can refresh my memory

Close. Endest waa the old Andii priest/ mage who helped rebridge the connection to KG and Mother Dark. The undead dragon guy you're thinking of is Kagamandra Tulas [Shorn]. Sukul was one of the sisters or daughters or whatever of Shadow, along with Menandore and that other one whose name escapes me.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 11, 2014

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
I want to reread so badly... I just don't know if I can handle going through The Chained God again.

Should I read the new stuff instead? How is the other author?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Decent fantasy, nowhere near Erikson's level though. The series is definitely worth a reread, so much more will make sense to you (and then get disproved in FoD).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The more I reread this series, the more I realize that Fiddler is my favourite protagonist ever, probably only tied by Kvothe from Name of the Wind.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

The more I reread this series, the more I realize that Fiddler is my favourite protagonist ever, probably only tied by Kvothe from Name of the Wind.

:stare:

I don't really want to get into an argument about nerd books, but this is probably the worst comparison I could ever think of.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

want to get a 2nd opinion on the ending of cracked pot trail.
So the nememothanai were tricked into thinking that that Bauchelain and Korbal Broach were with them all along.
Does anyone have an alternate take on that plot point?

Still baffled by Arpo Relent, since he wasn't in the Healthy Dead short story, unless he's Invett Loath with massive brain damage and amnesia.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

I don't really want to get into an argument about nerd books, but this is probably the worst comparison I could ever think of.

I'm not comparing them, they just take top spots on my List Of Book Characters That I Think Are Pretty Okay.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

I'm not comparing them, they just take top spots on my List Of Book Characters That I Think Are Pretty Okay.

Ok then. Weird guy with bad opinions.

Anyway, of the ICE books, do I just grab them in order of publication or what? I am considering a reread of the main series thanks to a long trip I'm taking, but if they're even halfway decent, and I don't have to keep weird numbering straight, I might just grab a handful of the ICE books onto my kindle and read those instead.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Ok then. Weird guy with bad opinions.

What's weird about his opinion?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Opal posted:

What's weird about his opinion?

Safety Factor posted:

I don't really want to get into an argument about nerd books,

Let's just not go there.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

Anyway, of the ICE books, do I just grab them in order of publication or what? I am considering a reread of the main series thanks to a long trip I'm taking, but if they're even halfway decent, and I don't have to keep weird numbering straight, I might just grab a handful of the ICE books onto my kindle and read those instead.
Yes, though I think Return of the CG may take place before Night of Knives, which you could probably skip except that certain characters from it pop up later on.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If you wanna do a reread and wanna read the ICE books, just read them all in this order. I read 'em like this for my first time through the series and found it pretty rewarding. I'd imagine it'd work even better as a reread, though. Some of the characters from the Erikson books who fall to the wayside have their story lines resumed in ICE's books. Erikson's books are much better at what they set out to do than ICE's, but if you're a fan of the setting you can't go wrong with ICE's entries, especially Orb Sceptre Throne.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I got fed up with ASOIAF book 5 (gently caress that poo poo seriously, it's so god damned boring), and decided to pick up Gardens of the Moon on Kindle. Gonna start it this week, but I hope it scratches my itch for good sprawling fantasy!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I got fed up with ASOIAF book 5 (gently caress that poo poo seriously, it's so god damned boring), and decided to pick up Gardens of the Moon on Kindle. Gonna start it this week, but I hope it scratches my itch for good sprawling fantasy!

It should, just remember that it gets way better after GotM.

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004
Okay, I need some clarification I think. (Mid-Bonehunters right now)

Who is King of High House Chains? I thought the position was given to Kallor in MoI, but now I'm fairly sure it's Rhulad. What does that make Kallor then?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Almost done with Deadhouse Gates, just hit the reveal that the Captain of the Ragstopper was Cartheron Crust. Jumping on the "Fiddler Rules!" train. This poo poo keeps getting better and better.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Who is King of High House Chains? I thought the position was given to Kallor in MoI, but now I'm fairly sure it's Rhulad. What does that make Kallor then?

Kallor is the Reaver, I believe. Though someone might want to correct me if needed.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Don't take any of those positions too literally - they also shift rather dramatically, which I believe is what you're seeing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

tuluk posted:

want to get a 2nd opinion on the ending of cracked pot trail.
So the nememothanai were tricked into thinking that that Bauchelain and Korbal Broach were with them all along.
Does anyone have an alternate take on that plot point?

That's it. The entire book is an analogy for the relationship between the artist and the audience.