Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Cool as hell, but it looks like there's no decision showing for faction demands. I jumped to the leaders of several factions, and none of them had the option to present their demands.

That came from trying and failing to integrate CK2+'s faction system. That'll be fixed soon.

Eiba posted:

I figured it out.

I moused over one of the Occultist holy sites on the religion tab... that didn't seem to exist. Perhaps it's flipping out when it tries to bring up the tooltip?

It happened again just now when I booted up an Americanist and looked at their religion screen.

Going to add holy sites for all religions in the next update.

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh yeah, and the Texas counties are unselectable at start, and half of them apparently have NO_CULTURE. I'm not running Sunset Invasion, so maybe it has something to do with that.

West of the Mississippi is still a work in progress.

quote:

And is the Caribbean Empire heir supposed to be Peter Tosh?

More of a Jamaican Ramsay Snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh yeah, and the Texas counties are unselectable at start, and half of them apparently have NO_CULTURE.

drat, this mod is accurate.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Hotfix for factions and religion

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
This is the most successful Kingdom of Jerusalem I have ever seen the AI build without player intervention. Too bad the Sultana is apparently trying to reach India. Those borders :negative:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Jedit posted:

drat, this mod is accurate.

Hey-oooo!

But yeah, anything west of the river is stuff we're going to get to with further updates, though we can probably slap some cultures and characters along the coast for now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Papal claims...if oyu're Catholic and have SoA. Otherwise, yeah, marriage stab.

How do papal claims work anyway? I've seen the button to ask the Pope for a claim on <x> but never seen him willing to do it even if he loves me. Is there a trick?

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

How do papal claims work anyway? I've seen the button to ask the Pope for a claim on <x> but never seen him willing to do it even if he loves me. Is there a trick?

He has to love you and hate whoever currently holds the title.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

What Rianeva said. You can also become an emperor, vassalize the Pope, and he can't refuse to grant the claim. He'll still lose opinion with you, but he'll just stew ineffectually, maybe start a faction or something, but he'll likely be dead within a few years, so who cares? Good for dealing with superdukes--just get claims on all their territory and revoke it. By the point you can do this, though, you've pretty much won the game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rianeva posted:

He has to love you and hate whoever currently holds the title.

Has anyone ever found a way to reliably get the Pope to hate someone? I swear the Pope seems to be in love with literally everyone who matters in Christendom - I've never found him willing to authorize claims, invasions, or excommunications.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tomn posted:

Has anyone ever found a way to reliably get the Pope to hate someone? I swear the Pope seems to be in love with literally everyone who matters in Christendom - I've never found him willing to authorize claims, invasions, or excommunications.

The "easiest" way is to be opportunistic and not target somebody in particular, because the easiest way to get the Pope to hate somebody is because of traits. Kinslayers, cynics, several sins, that's the kind of poo poo you're looking for. Always be looking at the heirs of your neighbors, sometimes you stumble upon somebody that the Pope hates because of their traits. Then one stab later you're in prime position to strike.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm a duke in Byzantium. Thanks to some deaths my heir is married to the ruling countess of a nearby county in Hungary in a normal marriage, so assuming all stays constant my grandson would be the ruling count. So when that guy dies and my grandson, Count of Whatever inherits, will the duchy stay in Byzantium (logic: the Count of Whatever is inheriting a higher level title, Duke of Slavonia) or flip to Hungary (logic: the Count of Whatever can't be the vassal of two different lieges)?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I just realized I had some poor guy in prison for 23 years. He got picked up during a civil war and because nobody was willing to pay his ransom, and I got distracted by the ongoing war, I forgot all about him. I let him out and he's aged 52 now. I hope he has a decade or two to enjoy daylight again. :smith: He never asked for better accommodations or anything either, which is usually a prudent move on the part of my prisoners, but in this case it would have got him let out as soon as I remembered him.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Apparently Paradox loves tying things to bmp color tables. Okay. Fine. Text would be easier, but this can still work...

(Also had a Norse character with a Quick wife and two Genius concubines. Wound up with 11 children, of which only the youngest was either Quick or Genius. Considering Elective succession.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

I just realized I had some poor guy in prison for 23 years. He got picked up during a civil war and because nobody was willing to pay his ransom, and I got distracted by the ongoing war, I forgot all about him. I let him out and he's aged 52 now. I hope he has a decade or two to enjoy daylight again. :smith: He never asked for better accommodations or anything either, which is usually a prudent move on the part of my prisoners, but in this case it would have got him let out as soon as I remembered him.

Bureaucracy, terrifying regardless of century.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm a duke in Byzantium. Thanks to some deaths my heir is married to the ruling countess of a nearby county in Hungary in a normal marriage, so assuming all stays constant my grandson would be the ruling count. So when that guy dies and my grandson, Count of Whatever inherits, will the duchy stay in Byzantium (logic: the Count of Whatever is inheriting a higher level title, Duke of Slavonia) or flip to Hungary (logic: the Count of Whatever can't be the vassal of two different lieges)?

It depends which he inherits first, I believe. This is exactly the kind of scenario in play when you get the VASSAL INHERITANCE WARNING popup button.

Edit: Actually that may not be right, I'm not sure. I've only actually tried it with titles of the same level; the duchy title may win out in either case. If you're not playing Ironman you can savescum and test it with the handy 'kill' console command.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mister Adequate posted:

I've found people aged 70+ in my dungeon that were born there before.
I used to do yearly releases where I just let everyone go, but since my dungeon hit 100+ prisoners after some holy wars I kinda went "gently caress it".

The game needs a "Release all prisoners" decision. It could even give you a chance to get the "Kind" trait or something if you release many enough.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Broken Cog posted:

I've found people aged 70+ in my dungeon that were born there before.
I used to do yearly releases where I just let everyone go, but since my dungeon hit 100+ prisoners after some holy wars I kinda went "gently caress it".

If I could pick one thing from Project Balance to force Paradox to implement, it's the "Release All Prisoners", "Ransom All Prisoners" and "Execute All Prisoners" decisions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Even better than that would be a "Release all prisoners I can't get a ransom for" button. The game drat well knows whether or not I can get a ransom. Or better still, a checkbox just like the "stop all plots" checkbox that just automatically tries to ransom every prisoner you get, and releases the prisoner if you can't get any cash for them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TheMcD posted:

If I could pick one thing from Project Balance to force Paradox to implement, it's the "Release All Prisoners", "Ransom All Prisoners" and "Execute All Prisoners" decisions.

Those are good, but there need to be Blind All Prisoners and Castrate All Prisoners as well :agesilaus:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Mister Adequate posted:

Those are good, but there need to be Blind All Prisoners and Castrate All Prisoners as well :agesilaus:

So much piety lost, like tears in rain.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In the upcoming Sonendar patch:

Revamped Rozhan tech tree

In addition to expanding to the southern continent, I'll be adding some fixes to the Rozhans. The Rozhans are essentially "Feudal Lords who style themselves merchants", rather than "Merchants who style themselves lords". They rule by regular feudal succession, and aren't patricians, but they nevertheless have a greedy, commercial bent to them that drives them to boost their economy to levels rivaling that of Merchant republics. How do they do this without trade posts? Well, essentially, as a Rozhan, you will be concentrating on building and upgrading your holdings -- The Rozhans come from a somewhat more technologically advanced culture (at least in terms of commerce and infrastructure), and they are well aware that the wealth of a nobleman comes not from engaging in crude transactions, but by building up the prosperity of your realm and then taxing the wealth of your subjects.

I'll be making their tech tree more straightforward. Essentially, there are two main routes: Marketplaces and Government Offices. Each level of marketplace upgrade will add a flat bonus tax income, while each level of government offices will add a tax multiplier. However, each level of the upgrades will cost significantly more than the previous one. This rising build cost can be ameliorated by constructing Survey Offices and upgrading them. Hence, you will need to balance reinvestment of your wealth into basic upgrades for your marketplaces, improving the cash flow through increasing infrastructure and administration, and building construction and survey offices to reduce costs.

A caveat: the increasing wealth and prosperity that you attract to your castle cities will make your population progressively more indolent and averse to war. This is reflected in that each level of marketplace and infrastructure upgrades will actually reduce morale or fort level. Rozhans can become truly prosperous even with a small demesne, but beware of the military costs!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I just found out you can right-click a holding and generate a vassal for it. That saves a lot of time after winning a Norse holy war and I have dozens of cities and temples to give out. I still hand-pick anyone Count or above, but I don't really care what attributes my mayors have.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Parallax Scroll posted:

I just found out you can right-click a holding and generate a vassal for it. That saves a lot of time after winning a Norse holy war and I have dozens of cities and temples to give out. I still hand-pick anyone Count or above, but I don't really care what attributes my mayors have.

Protip: Just give the county and all the baronies to the same guy. He'll generate vassals himself, and he'll like you more because you gave him multiple titles instead of one.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Protip: Just give the county and all the baronies to the same guy. He'll generate vassals himself, and he'll like you more because you gave him multiple titles instead of one.

OK, thanks for the tip.

Edit: Just baronies, or all holdings in the county?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Parallax Scroll posted:

OK, thanks for the tip.

Edit: Just baronies, or all holdings in the county?

Just give him the county/duchy and tick "include all lower titles", and he'll get all the baronies in the county/counties in the duchy.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Just give him the county/duchy and tick "include all lower titles", and he'll get all the baronies in the county/counties in the duchy.

All right. There's always another feature I don't know about.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Even better than that would be a "Release all prisoners I can't get a ransom for" button. The game drat well knows whether or not I can get a ransom. Or better still, a checkbox just like the "stop all plots" checkbox that just automatically tries to ransom every prisoner you get, and releases the prisoner if you can't get any cash for them.

The "release/execute/ransom all" button in HIP is actually pretty smart about this. I once had about 50 people in my dungeon after a civil war and a crusade (goddamn those Muslims have a lot of kids you can capture) and the "ransom all" tooltip only included the people I captured during the crusade: i.e. the people whose ransom money I care about more than their opinion of me.

The traitors I release one at a time over the course of a few years. Once the "merciful" relationship bonus on the rest of my vassals wears off, I find the vassal in my dungeon with the highest opinion of me and release him. Not only does every vassal in my realm get an immediate +5 to +15 of me, the one I also just released gets that nasty -50 Imprisoned penalty taken off in addition to the merciful bonus. As far as I know, the merciful bonus doesn't stack, so there's no point releasing more than one vassal at once unless I need their levies. And if you're that BITCH bastard daughter of mine who assassinated my Genius trueborn daughter/heir, you get thrown in the oubliette at age 24 until you die there at age 67. Forty years in a literal hole in the ground was still too good for her. :colbert:

If they're a noble with a claim that a powerful faction is backing, then they get their head chopped off. Sorry, pal.

Religious/peasant revolt leaders I usually forget about until my court gets big enough to affect my fertility, and then it's Ilyn Payne time because who cares.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I ripped the release/execute/ransom all buttons out for Elder Kings for use with Vanilla. I'm not sure if the implementation is different from the HIP one though, if that one's better I could rip out that one instead. You could probably merge it with any mod you wanted to pretty easily.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

...convert to Orthodoxy in my loving realm...

motherfucker

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 11, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
My wife just popped out 5 genius sons in less than 10 years. :stare:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

My wife just popped out 5 genius sons in less than 10 years. :stare:

If you survive to make use of any of them I will be astonished.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
What's the fastest way to convert your kingdom to a specific religion? I've got Abyssinia and Egypt under my name and most of my vassals are Miaphysites. The Muslim decadence mechanic was an interesting challenge at first but now that my dynasty is approaching 200 live members I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

On a side note, how do you deal with decadence once you've gotten sufficiently large enough and there's no easy targets to holy war against?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Orv posted:

If you survive to make use of any of them I will be astonished.

Or the only ones that are actually any good are the youngest ones, who also manage to get Ambitious and Envious.

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brotato Broth posted:

What's the fastest way to convert your kingdom to a specific religion? I've got Abyssinia and Egypt under my name and most of my vassals are Miaphysites. The Muslim decadence mechanic was an interesting challenge at first but now that my dynasty is approaching 200 live members I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

On a side note, how do you deal with decadence once you've gotten sufficiently large enough and there's no easy targets to holy war against?

Move your capital to a province with a different religion and you should get a decision in intrigue tab to convert. Have fun with the civil wars!

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Entropia posted:

Have fun with the civil wars!

I used to have more than just Abyssinia and Egypt under my name. :shepicide:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Brotato Broth posted:

If you can't convert with a decision, you can set an heir to be educated by a vassal of your target religion, and they might convert. The chances go up with the zealous and gregarious traits (although that heir might not get the best education)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

...convert to Orthodoxy in my loving realm...

motherfucker

Like father like son:

(Dude wasn't an Orthodox, just being a dick)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zealous seems to really gently caress up education even if the tutor in question is a Genius with awesome stats and traits otherwise. I mean the stats will usually turn out pretty well but the child always ends up with few and mostly lovely traits if the tutor is Zealous. I guess because a Zealous tutor is constantly picking the "Praise Jesus!" option on all the education events to pick up an extra 10 piety for themselves?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Zealous seems to really gently caress up education even if the tutor in question is a Genius with awesome stats and traits otherwise. I mean the stats will usually turn out pretty well but the child always ends up with few and mostly lovely traits if the tutor is Zealous. I guess because a Zealous tutor is constantly picking the "Praise Jesus!" option on all the education events to pick up an extra 10 piety for themselves?

Yes, it's known that Zealous tutors always pick the religious boot. Never use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Counterpoint: The Zealous trait loving owns.

But yeah, it's probably not worth using tutors with it. It's great if you got it yourself and can pass it on to your heir, though.

• Locked thread