Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010
Stupid licensing requirements.

We have some scientific software to measure stuff. This requires a license file for the software and individual licenses for the individual measurement elements, so far, so standard. It also requires a £3000 microscope.

Time to upgrade the PC I reinstall the software on the new PC late on Friday afternoon and it won't activate so I contact the company concerned and the engineer who takes my call promises to get back to me with the procedure and he does. With a quote for £200 / $335 to generate a new license file.

Fortunately this is sent to me via email so the swearing is confined to the office. As its now Monday morning and I now have some time to look into it, 5 mins of digging and the licensing is based off the MAC address of the PC. Change the locally defined MAC to match the old PC and everything works.

Why would they even bother? How much money are they making on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009

seadweller posted:

Stupid licensing requirements.

Reminds me of someone that has me repair their computer. Eventually, it boiled down to needing to be wiped and a clean OS install - problem is that he uses a program called Chief Architect which can only be reinstalled so many times before you have to call the company for a new license key. Alright, no problem, let's call them up before we start so we have the key in hand (or on it's way, however they do it) when we're ready to reinstall... Except nope, he gets on the phone and tells me they want $1000 for a new key. That's over half of the cost of the new version. That's why they do it, because if it's someones livelihood they'll pony up the cash.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
A thing so annoying you almost wish for a dongle instead.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

It might be time to :yotj:! My boss put in his notice last week and I'm the most qualified for his position. I'd be inheriting a lot of half-assed and half-finished projects but I know I can do them better.

Pissing me off this morning: Having four switches in the same lab die all within two days of each other. It must be warranty season. On the up side, this lets me convert it over to gigabit instead of the 10/100 nightmare it currently is.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
wrt windows 8 and needing a microsoft account: You can get around that - any time you're going through the Windows 8 setup menu, disconnect the computer from the internet. If it can't see the internet, then the only accounts it'll try and work with are local ones.

This doesn't excuse the problem, mind you. It's still stupid as hell.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

josiahgould posted:

Reminds me of someone that has me repair their computer. Eventually, it boiled down to needing to be wiped and a clean OS install - problem is that he uses a program called Chief Architect which can only be reinstalled so many times before you have to call the company for a new license key. Alright, no problem, let's call them up before we start so we have the key in hand (or on it's way, however they do it) when we're ready to reinstall... Except nope, he gets on the phone and tells me they want $1000 for a new key. That's over half of the cost of the new version. That's why they do it, because if it's someones livelihood they'll pony up the cash.

It's also because their market is extremely limited, so they need to charge a whole lot for the line to even be profitable.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

President Ark posted:

wrt windows 8 and needing a microsoft account: You can get around that - any time you're going through the Windows 8 setup menu, disconnect the computer from the internet. If it can't see the internet, then the only accounts it'll try and work with are local ones.

This doesn't excuse the problem, mind you. It's still stupid as hell.

Actually you don't even need to do that..

During setup, it will ask if you have a MS account, click the option to Create A New MS Account.

When it gets to the account creation screen there will be a link at the bottom that says "Continue Without a Microsoft Account". When you click that it will allow you to create a local account to use.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Customer Logic:

I don't want to pay $150 monthly fee for putting an SSL cert on a load balancer, so what I will do instead is pay $1200 six times to make six separate ssl certs for six servers behind a load balancer.

EDIT: There's actually a decent accounting reason for this, but it will start me on a rant about opex vs capex and how retarded accounting rules that are inflexible are.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 11, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stick it to the man!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nitrogen posted:

Customer Logic:

I don't want to pay $150 monthly fee for putting an SSL cert on a load balancer, so what I will do instead is pay $1200 six times to make six separate ssl certs for six servers behind a load balancer.

If you are getting $1200 for an SSL certificate, I need to re-think my idea of doing that as a business for people because :drat:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The SSL cert is gold plated.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moey posted:

The SSL cert is gold plated.

or just says verisign on it

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
EV certs are the scammiest scam that ever scammed

...said the risk analyst at a financial institution :(

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Antioch posted:

EV certs are the scammiest scam that ever scammed

...said the risk analyst at a financial institution :(

EV Certs in a nutshell.

Browser: How do I know I can trust you?

Browser: Works for me.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Galler posted:

Probably going to have to have one of my co-workers break into my desk and get my super secret post it. :cripes:

Yup, talked a coworker through breaking into my desk and retrieving my password. Good news though, he couldn't read my about half of it but was able to give me enough pieces so I could figure it out. Now I'm back in, "productive," and he doesn't know my password*. :toot:

*still changing it of course and bribing/thanking him with lunch.

This hotel is way too classy for me. Most of the people around here are in nice suits and dresses and the hotel food is hilariously expensive. There's a Panera in the lobby and all kinds of places within walking distance though so that's nifty. Got a good instructor for this course and the course itself is pretty good.

IT can be pretty awesome. If you're in a lovely position then keep tossing resumes out there and hopefully you can strike gold like I did.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Building got hit by lightning at 3:30. Burning smell huge flash thunder scared every one.

7 computers went down. NIC's were bad. Luckily we have 5 spare Optiplexes and just swapped HD's and got them back in business. Also lost a card in the phone system so there are some phones out as well. Phone place will be there first thing in the morning, and I next-day-air some Intel gigabit cards from NewEgg so I can get the other machines up in the morning.

Got everything buttoned up just before 5:00, the grumpy-rear end old owner comes down to bitch. "This shouldn't have happened blah blah you need to protect this from happening again"

Lighting hit the loving building! We have our poo poo on UPS's, no servers or switches were affected, poo poo just jumps through the wires what can you do?

"Wellll there seems like something you can do to prevent it from happening in the future I expect you to look it up"

:argh:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Building got hit by lightning at 3:30. Burning smell huge flash thunder scared every one.

7 computers went down. NIC's were bad. Luckily we have 5 spare Optiplexes and just swapped HD's and got them back in business. Also lost a card in the phone system so there are some phones out as well. Phone place will be there first thing in the morning, and I next-day-air some Intel gigabit cards from NewEgg so I can get the other machines up in the morning.

Got everything buttoned up just before 5:00, the grumpy-rear end old owner comes down to bitch. "This shouldn't have happened blah blah you need to protect this from happening again"

Lighting hit the loving building! We have our poo poo on UPS's, no servers or switches were affected, poo poo just jumps through the wires what can you do?

"Wellll there seems like something you can do to prevent it from happening in the future I expect you to look it up"

It sounds like the owner just wrote you a blank check.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob Morales posted:

Get quotes to surround the building with a Faraday cage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Join the exciting world of Information Technology, where a best case scenario just isn't quite good enough.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Nine months into someone else's project....

quote:

Oh and there is a problem with resourcing because the dev lead is going to be away next week doing an introduction to Java course so he can start doing code reviews.

:suicide:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Lightning rods, lots of them.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Pissing me off: the sun. Temperatures are threatening to break triple digits for the first time this year, so of course the A/C in our server room has gone out. And since everybody in town is having HVAC problems, we might not be able to get it fixed until tomorrow.

There are thunderstorms predicted for tonight and tomorrow, so we may even get a little bit of what Bob Morales is getting. Fingers crossed!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Nine months into someone else's project....

:suicide:

Oh, I see you're working with one of the many wonderful people that I've rejected during the phone screen stage of the interview process!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I got sent for training to a hotel on Wall Street. Ordered a burger from the hotel restaurant, walked in, in a shirt and jeans to a bunch of people in three piece suits. Felt like a scumbag.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Partycat posted:

I got sent for training to a hotel on Wall Street. Ordered a burger from the hotel restaurant, walked in, in a shirt and jeans to a bunch of people in three piece suits. Felt like a scumbag.

You were on Wall Street, I would imagine you were the only person there who wasn't a scumbag.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

anthonypants posted:

It sounds like the owner just wrote you a blank check.

Pfff. This guy wouldn't even buy a paging system for the warehouse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Pfff. This guy wouldn't even buy a paging system for the warehouse.

Open up a coat hanger and tape it to his window sill.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

beepsandboops posted:

Pissing me off: the sun. Temperatures are threatening to break triple digits for the first time this year, so of course the A/C in our server room has gone out. And since everybody in town is having HVAC problems, we might not be able to get it fixed until tomorrow.

There are thunderstorms predicted for tonight and tomorrow, so we may even get a little bit of what Bob Morales is getting. Fingers crossed!

Portland?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Century Link, what the gently caress is wrong with this company. We are getting a DSL connection put in a mall type building, I give them the street address, the building number, the phone number they need to call for building access, the people who they need to see. Everything, just show up, go to the telco building and put in a goddamn dsl connection, and mark it, or put in a biscuit.

Instead, this guy shows up in one of our buildings down the street, asks if this is where the DSL is going, is told no, and leaves. He calls no one. I don't find out until today as I'm trying to get poo poo ready as I have to drive 8 hours to put in the equipment this is for. All they had to is call. One phone call to any of the names on the list and we'd be good, but nope, gently caress reading, I work for Century Link.

At least it isn't Frontier.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Bob Morales posted:

Mr. Meanieface suggests:
:eng101: In a two-foot to four-foot grid on the roof, lay half-inch thick bare wound copper lines. At those two foot to four foot intervals, lay lightning rods. Ground all that to the ground. Cover the wire with gravel.

He says this is how the electric co protects their transformers. I dare you to quote it out to the boss. :clint:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Partycat posted:

Ignore them. They just aren't rich enough to dress relaxed - you are! (at least that's what they'll think)

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

thebigcow posted:

A thing so annoying you almost wish for a dongle instead.

Oh this PC has a dongle for another piece of software; however to avoid paying for the new version and a new dongle involves installing the demo version of the new software (64 bit) which does not work with the dongle. Then installing the old software also 64 bit (which if installed first fails to find the dongle on win 7 64) it now can see the dongle because the 64 bit drivers are updated in the demo version and stay in place when the old 64 bit software is installed as well. The manufacturer approves of this work around after we found it.

The two pieces of software are on the same PC its fantastic. :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

meanieface posted:

Mr. Meanieface suggests:
:eng101: In a two-foot to four-foot grid on the roof, lay half-inch thick bare wound copper lines. At those two foot to four foot intervals, lay lightning rods. Ground all that to the ground. Cover the wire with gravel.

He says this is how the electric co protects their transformers. I dare you to quote it out to the boss. :clint:

Either this or lightning rods. Make it have so many lightning rods that the building will look metal as gently caress.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Surge protector for every outlet?

Maybe $50 a pop.... How many outlets could you have? 500? 20,000?

Get Dave from accounting to run some numbers.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

Century Link, what the gently caress is wrong with this company. We are getting a DSL connection put in a mall type building, I give them the street address, the building number, the phone number they need to call for building access, the people who they need to see. Everything, just show up, go to the telco building and put in a goddamn dsl connection, and mark it, or put in a biscuit.

Instead, this guy shows up in one of our buildings down the street, asks if this is where the DSL is going, is told no, and leaves. He calls no one. I don't find out until today as I'm trying to get poo poo ready as I have to drive 8 hours to put in the equipment this is for. All they had to is call. One phone call to any of the names on the list and we'd be good, but nope, gently caress reading, I work for Century Link.

At least it isn't Frontier.

Turns out that being named Qwest didn't actually have anything to do with the company being complete poo poo. Who knew?

Edit: Oh, it was acquired, not renamed. Well, whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Swink posted:

Surge protector for every outlet?

Maybe $50 a pop.... How many outlets could you have? 500? 20,000?

Get Dave from accounting to run some numbers.

It didn't come from the power lines, it came from the network/phone cables

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
All these years and I've still not figured this one out: how you you answer "why did that happen? There must be some reason it happened" to something like an Office application freezing up with no clear reason?

It just... does? poo poo crashes or locks up sometimes at random, not always with a message or log that can be interpreted in any meaningful way.
It's been a fact of computing since the beginning. Especially if it has Microsoft written on it (but Apple and Linux desktop software can be just as bad with "unexpectedly quit"s and segfaults). You can say it's a buggy piece of crap, but then the angry and frustrated manager grilling you over it then demands to know why you gave them a buggy piece of crap in the first place, and you have to try and explain that there isn't really a decent alternative and even then there's no 100% guarantee it'll never ever crash or lock up and... stop asking, k?! If it's crashing and hanging with regularity then yes there may be some reason that can be identified such as faulty RAM or malware. But when it's just "it crashed once" and it's fine the other 99.9% of the time... I don't know?

Maybe if this was NASA or a nuclear submarine or something we'd have written everything ourselves, with ludicrous amounts of logging and failsafes and be able to justify and carry out an investigation and hand over a 600 page dossier and recommendations for being certain it will never happen again. But we're not NASA, and Word locking up and causing a bit of an annoyance is not quite the same as accidentally starting WW3 or blowing up a space shuttle.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Solar flares

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Negative emotions causes a reduction of positrons. Only positive emotions can restore the number of positrons required for correct functioning. To prevent this from occurring in the future, think only happy thoughts, and NEVER angry thoughts! :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer
From several pages back:

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Ahahahaha, are you in the greater Boston area, by any chance? Somebody did that to me at my last job and I went off on him. Especially since I didn't have a closed office, so anybody could have heard the conversation if I was starting.

I think my exact words were "unprofessional and alienating, give me your company name so I can make sure to never do business with you."

Yup! I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same guy.

For content:

Our only mechanical engineer left. We design a product that is a real thing made of matter. Who is going to update the drawings? Ryzic is good with computers!

Not loving likely.