Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

flarp22 posted:

So, I'm getting this error after an attempt to co-op with a friend for LGK which resulting in me suddenly crashing and getting a Runtime Error. At the time, my soapstone was down and I was fiddling with my inventory at the bonfire. I'm really scared to load any of my characters now due to not wanting to lose any of my DLC stuff, so I'd like to know if I have anything to worry about in regards to losing some of my stuff because the game can't remember I have the DLC or something. (I DID have Steam validate my files, but it didn't seem to fix anything. Quitting the game also ends in a Runtime Error.)

I've gotten the runtime error on quitting too, as have some others in this thread. It started happening after the latest patch. But so far as I can tell it doesn't do anything, no one's reported problems from it, and I'm certain it's unrelated to the DLC error message you got. Don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Where is a good spot to get summoned at 600k SM? Tried OIK and nobody's there, I might be a bit too early on the exp curve.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Yeah, I rebooted steam and loaded the character despite the warning and everything was still there from what I could see. Runtime Errors stopped too. Well, that was weird!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Greatsword worse the Drakewing and Smelter's? Every other ultragreatsword Low Tier? I dunno about that. Tier lists sure are wacky!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flarp22 posted:

So, I'm getting this error after an attempt to co-op with a friend for LGK which resulting in me suddenly crashing and getting a Runtime Error. At the time, my soapstone was down and I was fiddling with my inventory at the bonfire. I'm really scared to load any of my characters now due to not wanting to lose any of my DLC stuff, so I'd like to know if I have anything to worry about in regards to losing some of my stuff because the game can't remember I have the DLC or something. (I DID have Steam validate my files, but it didn't seem to fix anything. Quitting the game also ends in a Runtime Error.)

I got this error multiple times long before the dlc was even announced, it's nothing to be concerned about.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I am horribly addicted to sunbroing, especially with the redeye ring. :thisonesme:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I wanna do a punchy build but I feel naked and vulnerable without being able to summon balls of light.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Good news, if you punch people hard enough they'll see lights on their own. There are enemies that fisticuffs are absolute garbage against but for the most part the L1 powerstance attack is crazy good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of backstabs..

Pictured: a much more difficult game than DS2, promise.

This right here is one of the biggest reasons Dark Souls 2 is harder than 1 to me (although a way more punishing estus system and starting you out the weakest of the 3 games is a big part of it too). I died probably anywhere from 3/4 as much to the same number of times on my first run through DS2 as through DS1 (which was my first game, so I probably would have just quit if I started with DS2).

Compared to Demon's Souls which was not too bad at all when I started for the first time with experience from DS1. Whichever souls game you start with will always probably be the hardest for you but I think each has been pretty substantially more challenging than the last.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, I can possibly understand you having the Flame Weapon pyromancy when you're less than 300k SM...but you can gently caress right off when you expect me to believe you're legit after multiple Forbidden Suns. :v:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Do great magic weapon and crystal magic weapon stack?

e: only took four attempts to get a Black Dragon Sword drop :cool:

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 12, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Do great magic weapon and crystal magic weapon stack?

e: only took four attempts to get a Black Dragon Sword drop :cool:

They do not, and Crystal is flat better.

Today I was invaded in the belfry by a havelmonster with smelter helm who constantly backpedaled while firing sorceries at me while another grey spirit and an arbiter fished for backstabs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god I've never seen her in this pose.

:buddy:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

To be fair, at least the Souls series seem to be gradually getting less anime. Demon's Souls was way more anime than DS/DS2 :v:

Arty and boob lady disagree.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Your Computer posted:

So wrong :toughguy:
It kinda sorta sucks for a bunch of enemies (if it doesn't stagger the enemy, you're wide open) but it's almost as if it's made specifically to murder bosses. As I said earlier in this thread, I managed to kill the Smelter Demon in seconds with it. The two-hand R1 combo does an absolute ton of damage to large enemies like bosses.

Yeah I guess it got buffed quite a bit last patch, didn't realize.

Genocyber posted:

Those tier lists are retarded fyi.

Agreed. Speaking of which

Attestant posted:

Somebody on the internet did that already, though aimed at PvP. It's not perfect, but from my experience it's fairly accurate for the most part. I certainly tend to see the higher tier weapons a lot more, and I get wrecked by them more often.

Why is the black scorpion stinger the top rapier? I was just looking at upgrades yesterday and poison infused it had a poison of like 143 and most of my other rapiers were at 140. I think ricard's was actually 146. Does it have some sort of hidden bonus or do extra with r2s or something?

Making a note that the monscim renders them useless (if you're at the right range to attack you can't go for a bs and even the jumping attacks are parryable) the great scythe is not actually that bad and it makes me sad how many people say mean things about it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Gregen posted:

I've been playing this game and reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion I'm awful at this game. I'm part of the crowd that groans with every invasion and plays DS2 like a coop dungeon delving RPG, throwing down my soapstone at every opportunity helping random people out. Is there a newbie guide for pvping, so maybe I can stand chance against a random invader? Despite being inept, I finished the game, and here is my Fashion Souls entry.

e: Bad at typing and/or proofreading.

Hey, that's a good look. What chest armor is that?

Also, playing DS2 on Maximum Co-op is never wrong. :respek:

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god I've never seen her in this pose.

:buddy:

Haha, she does that all the time in my game. Only last night did I get the one where she sits at the desk in the corner. I had pretty much the same reaction.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Apparently there's a (possibly new?) bug where weapons with built in elemental damage (such as heide weapons, roaring halberd, blue flame, etc) aren't benefitting properly from spell buffs. I just finished making a build specifically based around this but I guess it's not going to work properly :saddowns:

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Apparently there's a (possibly new?) bug where weapons with built in elemental damage (such as heide weapons, roaring halberd, blue flame, etc) aren't benefitting properly from spell buffs. I just finished making a build specifically based around this but I guess it's not going to work properly :saddowns:

Can you post specifics? I haven't noticed any problems on my end, and I do most of my PVP with the Blue Flame.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Why is the black scorpion stinger the top rapier? I was just looking at upgrades yesterday and poison infused it had a poison of like 143 and most of my other rapiers were at 140. I think ricard's was actually 146. Does it have some sort of hidden bonus or do extra with r2s or something?

If you infuse it with Raw it's the strongest Rapier at 345 AR, and only requires like 12 str and 18 dex.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

Cathair posted:

Hey, that's a good look. What chest armor is that?

Chest is Executioner's Armor, you can straight up buy it from the invader covenant guy after the chariot boss. I think you may need to join the covenant to access his shop menu, maybe unlocking the covenant is enough.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This has been asked a lot, I feel, but what's a good bow for PvE to +10 on?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Hunter's Blackbow. Good range, low stamina consumption, high damage if you got decent Dex investment.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

I love the Allone Greatbow, fun knocking people around and such.

In other news hackers are getting really weird. Just got invaded by Red Light, Green Light. He just kept running at me and stopping, like freezing mid pose. Dropped some stuff on the ground but I was too paranoid to pick it up, after a minute of just watching him he clipped into the earth and was never seen again. Then I jumped into lava cause it was still counting him as being there and I wanted out of crazy town.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Sea Bow is also a good choice if you don't have the dex investment to use the blackbow.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I really like the concept of Dead Again, and it does massive amounts of damage, but there are so few spots in the game where it isn't useless because either there just aren't any enemies who leave corpses or there aren't any enemies worth using it against.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I really like the concept of Dead Again, and it does massive amounts of damage, but there are so few spots in the game where it isn't useless because either there just aren't any enemies who leave corpses or there aren't any enemies worth using it against.

Lead invaders to a pile of enemies you just murdered.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

It works on the Covetous Demon if you time it just as he kills the bait hollows! :pseudo:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cowcaster posted:

The Sea Bow is also a good choice if you don't have the dex investment to use the blackbow.

The sea bow might as well be a unicorn for how frequently I seem to get one. Random drops are the worst.

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Mzbundifund posted:

The sea bow might as well be a unicorn for how frequently I seem to get one. Random drops are the worst.

I think you mean random drops that are limited per playthough/ascetic. Thanks From :shepspends:

Speaking of which, I have never ever seen an Alonne Greatbow drop. And I've farmed those guys to no return on multiple characters with all the luck buffs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Batigh posted:

Can you post specifics? I haven't noticed any problems on my end, and I do most of my PVP with the Blue Flame.

Assuming it's true, another (less reliable) source also says that it doesn't apply to PvP, only PvE, which seems weird as gently caress. You still get a damage buff, it's just not as large as you'd expect, so you're doing maybe 50-100 damage less than you'd expect from the numbers. It also doesn't apply to resins, so if you're using resins on your uninfused Blue Flame then you'll see the full damage boost as expected.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

AgentJR posted:

I think you mean random drops that are limited per playthough/ascetic. Thanks From :shepspends:

Speaking of which, I have never ever seen an Alonne Greatbow drop. And I've farmed those guys to no return on multiple characters with all the luck buffs.

Oh, I've seen multiple Alonne Greatbows drop

Only on my hexer playthrough, of course :suicide:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started NG+ while wearing the Prisoner's Tatters, Jester's Cap and Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +2. So many drops :allears: I think I'll keep them on all the way.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Whenever a boss first sees me after walking through the fog, I imagine them yelling this at me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9AnwYi2Frk

I need to find a way to mod that kid's lines in.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Does pyromancy feel considerably weaker than sorcery to anyone else? I am admittedly missing GCF and Forbidden Sun, but the other offerings just aren't nearly as appealing as so much of the sorcery school. All the soul spears do moderate to excellent damage and have so many more casts compared to anything in the pyromancy school, and there also appear to be more big hitters in sorcery. They also have way longer range than most of the pyromancies seem to have. I'm currently using a maxed flame and a maxed Staff of Wisdom.

e: What are the most badass hexes?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 12, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Well, Pyromancy should be weaker than Sorcery/Miracles/Hexes, because it doesn't really require as much stat investment (or any at all, really; the Fire Bonus is pretty meager). The advantage to it is that it works just about as well even if you don't have much in the way of magical stats. If you have enough Int to use Sorceries, then they're probably going to be more useful and efficient than (many/most) Pyromancies.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Great Combustion, Firestorm (less powerful after the nerf, but still quite good), and Flame Swathe are all quite powerful. Not to mention since you don't need stat investment for good damage, you can stack Att early and get a ton of casts.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Lingering Flame is great for the Belltower if you wanna gently caress with people. And it's hilarious when you find someone who actually comes down the ladder anyway!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

That's a good point I suppose. I hadn't really considered the complete lack of an int requirement for pyromancies, since I always put it on an int-heavy character to begin with.

So how about those hexes? Which ones are sweet?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pyromancy still requires an ATT investment to be useful. You're probably not going to directly damage people with it, but you can use it to zone your opponent and control the battle with spells like Poison Mist, Flame Swathe, and Lingering Flame. Unfortunately they do take a lot of time to cast, so they're tricky to use well.

End game also gets you Forbidden Sun if you complete Navlaan's murdering spree (or if you complete the game and just get all the "proofs" he needs without harming a hair on any NPC's head. For a supreme sorceror who presumably has a huge amount of intelligence he's not very bright). It does massive damage and casts extremely quickly. It also consumes three Attunement slots per cast, you only get one per trip through the game, and your opponent knows it, so it's only really useful for catching people off guard as opposed to putting the fear into them.

You could also be an rear end in a top hat by invading people, casting Chameleon, waiting for them to walk past you then hitting them with Poison Mist before they have time to react.

Disclaimer: I'm poo poo at PvP so take all this with a grain of salt. But then I also don't Cheat Engine myself infinite Cracked Red orbs to practice on other people at their expense :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

So how about those hexes? Which ones are sweet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00g2ZbI3ung