Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Chromius posted:

My favorite part of the finale was how for no good reason there's time travel now.
Do you mean in the last episode or the last stretch of the show all together? Because it was a bit weird when it first appeared, yeah, but Wataru's son and the NEO FANGIRE was just a callback to it's earleir use.

Chromius posted:

I wished that Kiva and Ixa had used the other forms/weapons more and what happened with Yuri was really disappointing.

I actually kind of enjoyed Kiva wasn't as toyetic as it could have been.

But the poo poo with Yuri really was awful. I thought Maya was going to conceive Wataru when Otoya lost his memory, but then he recovered it and the only thing that happened was reinforcement of his love for her. And then he falls in love with Maya anyway.

I don't really blame Shikuza.

Mio doesn't really seem like a good person to me. She's scared and startled of her powers at first, sure, but if the only thing really keeping her from embracing her role as Queen is Wataru, she can't really truly care that much about the moral problems being Queen presents, and when she finds out Wataru is Kiva, her first instinct isn't "save me from these horrible murderers", it's "kill them so you can be King".

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Take my money.

http://kamenriderdrive.tumblr.com/post/94255452715/in-the-same-vein-of-recent-video-game-hits-like

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Skylander Riders. Skyriders.

I need the Wind set at least, regardless of game quality or even ownership.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I knew this was coming and I'll do anything to get my hands on it

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Those prices seem super fair and not half as crazy as a lot of these types of games.

Here's hoping the actual videogame part is good enough to support it.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Brinty posted:

Those prices seem super fair and not half as crazy as a lot of these types of games.

Here's hoping the actual videogame part is good enough to support it.

soexpensivelycheap.jpg

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm more surprised it wasn't Power Rangers first, given how much Saban and Bandai love money and how there's over 100 PR rangers and over 200 Sentai Rangers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm more surprised it wasn't Power Rangers first, given how much Saban and Bandai love money and how there's over 100 PR rangers and over 200 Sentai Rangers.

Seems more like a testing thing and Kamen Rider is from what I can tell more popular in Japan, along with being easier to make. That said, there's a poo poo load of Kamen Riders (some have as many as a regular Sentai) so it's not like it's lacking in quantity.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

WickedHate posted:

Do you mean in the last episode or the last stretch of the show all together?

That time travel in the last stretch of the show. I would've stopped watching if it wasn't for the show being almost over.

quote:

But the poo poo with Yuri really was awful.
Yep, it really was. Don't think they even bothered writing in who she ended up with or how she died.

I wouldn't be surprised if SummonRide is going to be cheaper in the long run compared to either Skylanders or Infinity since the secondary riders only have Pogs to place on the portal. It will be great if Drive's entire gimmick revolves around SummonRide the same way Decade's gimmick was just a bunch of GanbaRide cards.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Chromius posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if SummonRide is going to be cheaper in the long run compared to either Skylanders or Infinity since the secondary riders only have Pogs to place on the portal. It will be great if Drive's entire gimmick revolves around SummonRide the same way Decade's gimmick was just a bunch of GanbaRide cards.

He just carries around a bunch of figures of Kamen Riders and throws them at the baddies for minor distractions.

The pogs are for his finisher.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pyroi posted:

He just carries around a bunch of figures of Kamen Riders and throws them at the baddies for minor distractions.

The pogs are for his finisher.

Wasn't that the plot to Ultraman Ginga?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So already I'm happy with Kouta's the show's middle finger to the secret identity trope. That was exhausting in Kiva.

Plus: Another gunblade. That's always cool.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 11, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So subs are out for Gaim 40, and the biggest thing I want to talk about is what was with Doraemon at the beginning there? Seriously.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm on episode seven and Pierre makes me think everyone should be in a wrestling ring holding microphones as they give their speeches.

Kaito makes me think of Seto Kaiba, and I like that.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 11, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I really should catch up on Gaim. I think I drifted away from it around episode 16.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cernunnos posted:

I really should catch up on Gaim. I think I drifted away from it around episode 16.

Same, only I'm at about episode 35 or somesuch. I've given up on keeping up with it as it's airing, right now I'm waiting for it to finish so I can binge the episode I'm missing in three or four sittings.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So these guys just released subs for episode 1 of Flashman. Interesting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

So these guys just released subs for episode 1 of Flashman. Interesting.

Anybody know who's behind this? Don't really feel like downloading it if it's by the Geki scrub guy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Double posting because there's a shot in Showa vs Heisei where Wizard is fighting the main bad guy and Fourze, fighting a mook, comes into frame in the foreground and blocks him from view, and it's not like a little bit, it completely obliterates Wizard in the frame. Its the movie literally saying "yeah we know nobody gives a gently caress about him HERE'S THE GUY YOU LIKE". I love it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Anybody know who's behind this? Don't really feel like downloading it if it's by the Geki scrub guy.

If I remember correctly the Gekki scrub guy keeps changing his name because he's so bad and trying to hide from it, so this may in fact be him. I'll give it a shot tonight.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HKR posted:

If I remember correctly the Gekki scrub guy keeps changing his name because he's so bad and trying to hide from it, so this may in fact be him. I'll give it a shot tonight.

If they suck so much, why do they keep doing it? It's not like bad comic book artists, they aren't getting paid for their mediocrity and they don't apparently show signs of improvement.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The guy really likes toku and wants to help with subs. Can't fault him for that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Couldn't someone who just wants to further the progress of tokusatsu subtitles but doesn't have proper translation skills just make like timing files for free use or something? I guess that wouldn't provide enough e-peen.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

It's not GekiKnight, but these are the guys who released Changeman 01 translated from the Portuguese dub, and said this in defense:

quote:

No, we don’t have a JP translator, but you must remember that the important thing about watching a series (subbed, dubbed, or raw; Japanese, American or any other) is that you should get the plot! The rest of the time the actors are saying anything shouldn’t bother you so much. That’s kinda of the whole point Japanese to English translation actually.

That seems like a really great attitude!!

Hilariously, GekiKnight is also in the comments for this, picking out translation errors caused by the J->P->E telephone chain. When he's spotting your errors, you may have a problem.

I think they've since picked up a Japanese translator, but they haven't kicked the person who said the above to the curb, so somebody who believes that the broad strokes of the plot are all that's important is still around. So yeah...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
According to the blog post accompanying the Flashman release, they do have an actual translator now, so that's good.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Flashman outfits are really cool, so I'd be stoked if it's a good translation. I'm going through the Gaim thread as I watch the show, and found those translators picking apart that other group's attempt at Gaim. It's really mindblowing how much can get hosed up by bad subbers.

RBX posted:

The guy really likes toku and wants to help with subs. Can't fault him for that.

That's noble and now I feel kind of bad for them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

The Flashman outfits are really cool, so I'd be stoked if it's a good translation. I'm going through the Gaim thread as I watch the show, and found those translators picking apart that other group's attempt at Gaim. It's really mindblowing how much can get hosed up by bad subbers.

That's noble and now I feel kind of bad for them.

The TVN Roasts? Those were great and also super interesting.

jivjov posted:

According to the blog post accompanying the Flashman release, they do have an actual translator now, so that's good.

This is like my third try writing this, but nah. It's not. It's better but this is a group that stubbornly resisted being told "No, translating off a dub is not good enough, your subs are wrong". A translator is a great step in the right direction but they've alread hosed up badly enough, everything from here on is waiting for the next one.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 12, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The TVN Roasts? Those were great and also super interesting.

Yup. I've only vaguely heard of TVN before, so it's good to know now to stay away from'em.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I'm watching this Flashman sub and it's not abysmal, but the big problem is how little character voice there is. It just reads as incredibly bland. I don't know if it's just a really literate translation, or a poor one, or what.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

WickedHate posted:

Yup. I've only vaguely heard of TVN before, so it's good to know now to stay away from'em.

TVN is so ubiquitous that for a few series, it's actually a necessary evil.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah. Not with how most things are being translated (or retranslated) by competent groups.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Nah. Not with how most things are being translated (or retranslated) by competent groups.
But I want to watch the rest of Gransazer X. :negative:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not that hard to refuse to watch any of their garbage.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Over-Time's not doing Showa vs Heisei and Gaim is airing during August.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is.... Is Aesir going to do it then? I need that movie something fierce. If I can get a script I'll spend months translating it line by line if I have to. (It would be bad)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So, does over-time just not like Kamen rider now? Did Wizard break them?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They just had no interest in Gaim or Showa VS Heisei. If Drive peaks their interest they'll probably do that one.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Guess theyre letting Aesir do it so they can have more time to work on their other shows.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Magenta called it first if I remember correctly. Aesir is mostly OT staff anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HKR posted:

Magenta called it first if I remember correctly. Aesir is mostly OT staff anyway.

What exactly does this mean?

• Locked thread