Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lawman 0 posted:

That was fast!

The constructions were pretty borked. Even amber and coral got an unintentional outing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The worst part of dwarves carrying the bin with them is that for some items (bars, gems) the bin is so heavy that the dwarf struggles to carry it, making the whole process take longer than the multiple trips would in the first place. There probably needs to be some more iteration on the choice to carry the entire bin/barrel -- I could see where it could be useful if the number of items being collected was large, but the weight of the container and the number of items being snatched probably needs to factor into the decision.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Moridin920 posted:

...Except for the food stockpile because they sit there and eat but clothing generally deflects the plump helmets and roasts from doing serious injury, and then your medical dwarves can have practice.

I'm picturing that scene from The Trouble With Tribbles where Kirk opens a cargo bin and gets a load of tribbles dumped on him... and then he picks one up and starts eating it. :iit:

e: But what kind of fortress are you running where you don't have a dining room? :psydwarf:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

scamtank posted:

You can't make dwarves not take the bins along, but you can make them not bother over long distances. Find these lines in d_init.txt:

[STORE_DIST_ITEM_DECREASE:20]
[STORE_DIST_SEED_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BUCKET_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BARREL_COMBINE:1000]
[STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:1000]

...and cut them down to single digits. As it stands with the default crank-to-11 settings, dwarves will always drag the barrel/bin along, no matter how far the thing is.

:worship:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Moridin920 posted:

Set up a minecart route that consists of a track 2 tiles in length.

You don't even need it to be 2 tiles long. All you need is a single track stop that automatically dumps its contents onto the quantum stockpile and set it as the one stop in the route.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dareon posted:

e: But what kind of fortress are you running where you don't have a dining room? :psydwarf:

I have a dining hall, it's right next to where the food pile is. Dwarves just like to linger on the food pile sometimes for some reason, who knows why. There's plenty of tables.

Neurion posted:

You don't even need it to be 2 tiles long. All you need is a single track stop that automatically dumps its contents onto the quantum stockpile and set it as the one stop in the route.

Oh well drat.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Moridin920 posted:

I have a dining hall, it's right next to where the food pile is. Dwarves just like to linger on the food pile sometimes for some reason, who knows why. There's plenty of tables.

Do you have booze in the food pile? Dwarves don't take drinks away -- they just stand in the food stockpile and upend the barrel of booze over their mouths right then and there. Forget manners -- they need that liquor.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Do you have booze in the food pile? Dwarves don't take drinks away -- they just stand in the food stockpile and upend the barrel of booze over their mouths right then and there. Forget manners -- they need that liquor.

Personally I prefer to think that dwarves just do endless keg stands. :colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Glory of Arioch posted:

Nope, I have a seperate drinks pile, drinks are forbidden from any other food pile. I learned that one quick, after 4-5 dwarves got their heads crushed in.

98% of the time, a dwarf grabs a food item and leaves and sits at a table. Sometimes, they linger for a little longer than they should, and sometimes that season's harvest of plump helmets happen to get dumped at that exact moment resulting in minor to moderate injury. Recently I've been designating the traffic over the square as 'restricted' and it seems to have helped, though.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Moridin920 posted:

e: dumping works too but this works with no micromanagement. I strive for automation in my forts.

Was going to say this. Dumping also puts everything in one place, whereas with quantum stockpiles you can setup specific ones and use them to feed workshops. Dumping doesn't allow that.

Moridin920 posted:

Oh well drat.

Yeah, you can get quantum stockpiles going really quick if you do it without tracks. I don't worry about it for wood early on, but my first crafting areas all have quantum stockpiles setup to save space.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 11, 2014

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Oh my god, I am so DONE with that military interface! What the hell was Tarn thinking when he programmed that monstrosity?? I literally cannot get my soldiers to pick up any equipment, despite individually assigning to them specific pieces of weapon and armor which are confirmed to exist by the game. They just stand around while mobilized, doing nothing. Perfectly happy to suicide charge the invading goblins, though. Idiotic.

The worst thing about it is that Tarn was already aware of the massive existing interface complaints when he created the new military system. That's just inexcusable, even for him.

So I'm stuck with a save right after the announcement of the invasion right now. Great.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gimmick Account posted:

Oh my god, I am so DONE with that military interface! What the hell was Tarn thinking when he programmed that monstrosity?? I literally cannot get my soldiers to pick up any equipment, despite individually assigning to them specific pieces of weapon and armor which are confirmed to exist by the game. They just stand around while mobilized, doing nothing. Perfectly happy to suicide charge the invading goblins, though. Idiotic.

The worst thing about it is that Tarn was already aware of the massive existing interface complaints when he created the new military system. That's just inexcusable, even for him.

So I'm stuck with a save right after the announcement of the invasion right now. Great.

Are you using the "replace clothing" option rather than "wear over clothing"? I was having the same problem until I flipped that. The interface actually works pretty well once you've deciphered that, it's just stupidly unintuitive.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

Are you using the "replace clothing" option rather than "wear over clothing"? I was having the same problem until I flipped that. The interface actually works pretty well once you've deciphered that, it's just stupidly unintuitive.

No, I don't think I did that. It's 1 AM over here, though, so I'll have to test this another day. Sounds like an option that would be relevant for worn armor... Let me guess: It applies to weapons as well? Because yeah, THAT would be incredibly unintuitive.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I know a lot of people say and I even have seen in the most recent lp that dwarves don't equip weapons or ammo etc, but I've never had that problem myself, either by assigning things broadly like the default metal armor all the way down to very specific pieces like artifacts. I always make a custom setting with both breastplates and mail shirts too. The problem with dwarves picking up whole bins of stuff to store things in not letting other dwarves get items they need out of them does apply to weapons, armor and ammo too if you're storing it in stockpiles so it might take a break in new things being made for the military to get a chance to get their hands on all the stuff in bins. I'm sure there's more to it though.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Gimmick Account posted:

No, I don't think I did that. It's 1 AM over here, though, so I'll have to test this another day. Sounds like an option that would be relevant for worn armor... Let me guess: It applies to weapons as well? Because yeah, THAT would be incredibly unintuitive.

I'm not sure it does, the only problem you might run into that would fix is if a dwarf is already wearing too much clothes to put armor on over it, which is pretty rare because dwarfs can wear a lot of stuff. Strangely I've had problems using that setting in the past and leave it to over clothing unless I'm trying to do something really specific so :shrug: .

edit:by specific I remember trying to give dwarfs all leather clothes, cloaks and stuff under/over their armor by replacing their clothing but I think which order they put it all on in matters so it was basically a crapshoot if they'd put on the leather stuff before the metal armor.

ProfessorGroove fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 12, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Windows starter pack with Dwarf Therapist is updated for the current version if you were waiting for it like me!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076

Just Dwarf Therapist: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 12, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
The fact that 'no weapon' is a valid choice for melee weapon is infuriating.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Really I think the sanest thing would be for No Weapon to always be the last ditch weapon choice when nothing else is available and otherwise have it set so that nobody uses it unless you navigate an arcane set of obscure menus to turn it on the way things were always intended.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

ProfessorGroove posted:

which is pretty rare because dwarfs can wear a lot of stuff.

Didn't one of the let's plays have a dwarf noble arrive wearing like 50 cloaks?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

I spent like an hour and followed a bunch of online instructions and I still couldn't get my crossbowdwarves to practice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GreenMarine posted:

Dungeon Masters used to horde every cloak in the fortress and wear dozens of them with no other clothing.

Jackson Taus posted:

I spent like an hour and followed a bunch of online instructions and I still couldn't get my crossbowdwarves to practice.

I haven't figured this out either. I was able to get them working just fine at some point in the past but apparently something changed. Your best bet is to just enable hunting on all of them and make them civilians unless you're being attacked.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

Dungeon Masters were bugged to put on as many cloaks as they could carry - and nothing more.

e: beaten by moon monster

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

Dungeon Masters were bugged to put on as many cloaks as they could carry - and nothing more.

e: beaten by moon monster

"bugged"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there any setting that makes dwarf civilizations more likely to dig tunnels? I always thought it would be cool to have a fortress with an underground road leading back home.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Just decided to get back into this game for the new release.

Decided to use a cave-in to bypass the aquifer on a terrifying forest biome. A child removes the floor holding everything in place. He gets hit by debris, falls into the newly-formed hole, and drowns in the aquifer. One of my miner dwarves is too horrified at the body to do his job.

What have I done? :ohdear:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unwantedplatypus posted:

Decided to use a cave-in to bypass the aquifer on a terrifying forest biome. A child removes the floor holding everything in place. He gets hit by debris, falls into the newly-formed hole, and drowns in the aquifer. One of my miner dwarves is too horrified at the body to do his job.

Use a lever-operated support to collapse stuff in the future.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

These emotions are but the start; just wait until Toady models existential angst.

Urist was depressed lately. Urist realized the physical world's indifference to his aspirations lately.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Zereth posted:

Use a lever-operated support to collapse stuff in the future.

Don't those require mechanisms? All the rock was under the aquifer.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

unwantedplatypus posted:

Don't those require mechanisms? All the rock was under the aquifer.

Bring some rock if you have an aquifer embark for this purpose.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

unwantedplatypus posted:

You have begun the long and grueling road to hardening your miner the gently caress up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Finally got a fortress up and running in the new version, everything is fine...until trees start producing collapses of silt loam, somehow. They kill three dwarves before I realize what's happening. (and cause several children to throw tantrums because they saw their mother and two baby siblings killed right in front of their eyes, but that's a minor detail) No actual structures have collapsed, it's just random clouds of silty woody death.

I know it's a bug, but it's the perfect explaination for why dwarves are so averse to nature. They're just striking back against the murder-tree menace. :black101:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Haifisch posted:

Finally got a fortress up and running in the new version, everything is fine...until trees start producing collapses of silt loam, somehow. They kill three dwarves before I realize what's happening. (and cause several children to throw tantrums because they saw their mother and two baby siblings killed right in front of their eyes, but that's a minor detail) No actual structures have collapsed, it's just random clouds of silty woody death.

I know it's a bug, but it's the perfect explaination for why dwarves are so averse to nature. They're just striking back against the murder-tree menace. :black101:

We shall no longer strike the earth... no, it shall instead be razed. From topmost soil to the bedrock's crest, no foliage shall hunt us from this day forth!

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I embarked on a volcano. My being terrible with lava led to one of the half fort being slaughtered by a Kobold ambush, and the other half trapped inside a fortress with no picks, no bar, and no way out by the magma.

So I reembarked, but a volcano is not something you pass. Now the Volcano is overflowing lava. I think this may be an eruption or a bug. Either way, that volcano has burned every loving thing it can get it's hands on.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

A White Guy posted:

I embarked on a volcano. My being terrible with lava led to one of the half fort being slaughtered by a Kobold ambush, and the other half trapped inside a fortress with no picks, no bar, and no way out by the magma.

So I reembarked, but a volcano is not something you pass. Now the Volcano is overflowing lava. I think this may be an eruption or a bug. Either way, that volcano has burned every loving thing it can get it's hands on.

Key question. Are the dwarves from embark 1 still trapped inside the fort?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Is anyone else sort of dissapointed by Human Mode in Masterwork? There are about a million workshops which seem to make stuff I don't need, want, can be made better in traditional ways OR are ridiculously over powered and unbalancing.

The only really interesting change is how they are basically forced to do open pit mining. They just don't feel different enough to be fun.

Is anyone else disappointed by them?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Speaking of, is there a good resource, like a well-detailed wiki or something, about Masterwork and its additions? I'm curious about it, but would like to know what the mechanical differences are and poo poo before I jump in.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I just turn off most of the new buildings and go to town. Masterwork comes with a manual which has good documentation of the rest.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Is it just me or did Dwarf Therapist remove Feed Patients/Prisoners from the Labours list in the update?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Masterwork got an update to include 'Hermit' mode.

Looks pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

The Moon Monster posted:

I haven't figured this out either. I was able to get them working just fine at some point in the past but apparently something changed. Your best bet is to just enable hunting on all of them and make them civilians unless you're being attacked.

Crossbow dwarves need:

1) an Archery Target, turned into a range, assigned to their squad.
2) a Barracks, i.e an armor stand or weapon rack, turned into a barracks, assigned to their squad
3) to be Active, and assigned to Train in the schedule

before they have any chance of firing off a few practice shots, and even then they do it pretty infrequently. I think the fact they need a regular barracks as well as an Archery range catches a lot of people out. Even if they have an Archery range assigned to them and are told to Train, they wont shoot at the range unless they have a barracks to gently caress around in too. Get all of these ducks lined up and you should see Urist firing off a few bolts at the range now and then.