Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Campbell posted:

I kind of get the feeling she had a word or two with him, but either way, it was a good episode in between parts where Saga took up the screen.

I just fast-forward Elliott's segments. Can't watch that clown anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I just fast-forward Elliott's segments. Can't watch that clown anymore.

You're going to miss out when his crew finally snaps and murders him.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm waiting for a crew member to walk and Elliott to hire Jake Harris.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Campbell posted:

I kind of get the feeling she had a word or two with him, but either way, it was a good episode in between parts where Saga took up the screen.

And rightly so. How should she ever be respected by the rest of the crew when Sig does treat her differently? Doesn't need to be Wild Bill bitching out his son in front of the crew for being a complete idiot, but if you have your kid on the boat you have to treat them at least somewhat like all others.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I can't get enough of Discovery reality shows. Gold Rush, Bering Sea Gold, Jungle Gold, Bamazon all of these shows are loving amazing buta lways end. I also liked Game of Stones. I don't know why I guess it is because I work in an office and a computer monitor tipping over and hitting me in the dick is the kind of perils I need to worry about.

I like Street outlaws and fat n furious also. I wish Jungle gold would come back on those guys were the worst at everything and it is really funny to watch them try and fail.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

smg77 posted:

You're going to miss out when his crew finally snaps and murders him.

He's going run the Saga at full power into the docks at St. Paul Island Speed 2 style when he realized the mutiny is under way.

Except, if I recall, it wasn't intentional in Speed 2.

I hope Thom Beers is on the ship for that trip and gets tossed overboard when Elliot runs that fucker aground. Cameras will be in position on the dock and on the ship because it'll be obvious it was planned all along.

Meowbot posted:

I can't get enough of Discovery reality shows. Gold Rush, Bering Sea Gold, Jungle Gold, Bamazon all of these shows are loving amazing buta lways end. I also liked Game of Stones. I don't know why I guess it is because I work in an office and a computer monitor tipping over and hitting me in the dick is the kind of perils I need to worry about.

I like Street outlaws and fat n furious also. I wish Jungle gold would come back on those guys were the worst at everything and it is really funny to watch them try and fail.

The only "reality" shows I've ever been able to stomach on Discovery have been Deadliest Catch and Storm Chasers. DC, as discussed, as been able to fend off the staged situations.

Storm Chasers was interesting when they actually focused on the science and Josh Wurman's research, with Wurman playing Air Traffic Controller to the TIV team. It got painful when it became Reed Timmer's Extreme Adventures featuring Sean Casey and The Amazing Technicolor Never-Ending IMAX Project and I was glad to see it cancelled.

e- Airplane Repo v2.0 was terrible and I quit watching after the first episode when "Philadelphia" was actually Daytona Beach International Airport, complete with Daytona International Speedway grandstands visible in the background.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 29, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Have the Mythbusters ever gone to that runway and *not* sent a runaway vehicle through that fence?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

haveblue posted:

Have the Mythbusters ever gone to that runway and *not* sent a runaway vehicle through that fence?

I don't think so. I wonder how many hate letters they'll get from Mustang/Corvette owners?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The stunt driver just explained sideways driving in the most :geno: tone imaginable and it's amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised that after Jamie kind of got hurt they just went ahead and let Adam do it again with no new safety precautions.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

I'm surprised that after Jamie kind of got hurt they just went ahead and let Adam do it again with no new safety precautions.

Payback for Adam pussing out on the upside-down bungie bobbing.

That was horrific and the one time I felt really bad for anyone on the show.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I'm guessing that stunt was filmed before the knock off the road stunt. "Hey we want to do a thing where we have a huge chance of flipping the car at worst and at best might be violently landing back on all four wheels. Hmmm no neck braces or helmets needed!" "Playing bumper cars with real life cars? Full racing safety gear!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd like to see a behind the scenes thing for Mythbusters where they talk about how the process really goes for filming an episode.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That's almost what the first generation of the show was, and I miss it. Just try to imagine how much wasted time is now crammed with bullshit like those worthless little "spontaneous" asides where the build team members make a deadeningly unfunny wooden joke or pun, and then aggressively mug for the camera like they're on 'Laugh-in' circa 1970s. Barf. It was barely tolerable when only Adam was guilty of it years ago.

That being said, the new episode was loving great. Hard to believe they hadn't tackled these fundamentals of movie car stuntwork yet, and anything else this immediately interesting and obvious should be dispensed with ASAP so we don't get more seasons comprised of stupid reaching myths, clipshows, viewer mail or 3rd rehashes. To be fair, the episodes of the new season so far have been much higher quality than what came immediately before.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

They showed a preview or a clip from an episode I guess will air next year on their Facebook page and I think they changed the style of the show up. Looked like totally different cameras were being used. It was a clip of Adam building something I think, but the production value seemed really great.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Shark Week schedule, for anyone interested.

quote:

SHARK WEEK, television’s longest running must-see summer TV event, returns to Discovery Channel on Sunday, August 10. Building upon last year’s 11 shark-filled specials, a whopping 13 SHARK WEEK shows coupled with a live talk show each night gives this year’s SHARK WEEK the most premiere hours ever featured in the event’s 27-year history.

SHARK WEEK’s late-night live talk show, Shark After Dark, will return. Host Josh Wolf will lead viewers through an hour-long celebration of all things shark-related, including celebrity guests and shark experts. The talk show will give viewers the opportunity to interact live on-air every night with tweets, questions to celebrity guests, and more.

:barf:

Hawaii is thought of as an idyllic vacation destination, but recent spikes in shark attacks are turning these shores into a shark hot spot. Hawaiian native and surf legend Kala Alexander knows these waters better than anyone, and he hopes to uncover the reason behind this sudden shark invasion in Sharkageddon.

Could be interesting - 2012 and 2013 were outliers on an otherwise trendless incident record in Hawaii

Lair of the Mega Shark follows famed shark experts Jeff Kerr and Andy Casagrande head to New Zealand on a life-or-death mission to investigate the sightings of a 20 foot Great White that resembles the legend of a giant great white shark Maoris call the “lord of the sharks." Jeff and Andy will risk everything to track down this Mega Shark believed to be lurking in the shadows of the New Zealand coast line.

Gee I wonder if they find it

Zombie Sharks explores tonic immobility, a catatonic zombie-like state that can be achieved in sharks. This shark phenomenon has been studied by scientists for years, but a recent spike in orca whale attacks on great white sharks suggests that orcas have now learned how to immobilize and prey on great whites. Professional diver Eli Martinez looks to prove this theory by being the first person to induce underwater tonic immobility in a massive great white shark.

Great whites can enter tonic but they're apparently not as susceptible as other species. The orca predation event described happened in the Farallons, when a female orca drowned a great white by holding it upside down. Sounds cool aside from the stupid title.

In Alien Sharks: Return to the Abyss, shark researcher Paul Clerkin heads to the Indian Ocean to investigate the ocean’s darkest depths in search of shark species that scientists never even knew existed and get a glimpse of the last known group of bioluminescent sharks in the world.

This looks awesome. Actually talking about unusual rare sharks instead of TEETH BLOOD JAWS FEAR is a nice change

Monster Hammerhead explores a legendary hammerhead shark that has been patrolling Florida’s shores for the past 60 years. Now, a team of scientists and anglers look to explore the mystery and find out if the legend could be real.

Also looks cool since they're focusing on a more unusual species

Dr. Michael Domeier has spent years scouring the Pacific Ocean hoping to solve one of the greatest mysteries of shark science: the location of great white pupping grounds. In 2013, he set the process in motion by successfully tagging a pregnant female shark that he called Gil Rakers. Now he’s returning to the sea in Spawn of Jaws 2: The Birth to follow her journey and be the first to capture the birth of a baby great white shark.

Domeier owns and I'm excited for this one too. Great white reproduction is a huge mystery and his tagging has been a pretty big deal. Quick PDF if you want to spoil yourself

Great White Matrix features legendary shark attack survivor Paul de Gelder and cameraman Andy Casagrande on an expedition into the deadly shark infested waters of Australia. Their mission is to investigate a series of bizarre shark attacks in an area swarming with great white sharks. Paul and Andy explore what’s bringing these great whites so close to shore and what’s responsible for the surge in attacks in this area.

Sounds like more "be afraid" stuff but the description isn't very useful and I don't know anyone involved so v:shobon:v

Air Jaws programming has pushed and expanded our understanding of great white sharks and has become one of the iconic SHARK WEEK programs. In Air Jaws: Fins of Fury Natural History producer Jeff Kurr and his team return using incredible new cameras and high tech underwater gadgetry to track down the missing “mega-shark” named Colossus.

:geno:

In Jaws Strikes Back, marine biologist Greg Skomal and the REMUS* SharkCam team travel to the remote Pacific island of Guadalupe to film the hunting behavior of the largest great white sharks on earth.

Saving grace here could be the REMUS project from Woods Hole which should make for some great footage

I Escaped Jaws 2 is a shark special featuring attack stories told from the perspective of the survivor. Using first person interviews and actual footage of the attacks, we take a look at why the attacks occurred and how the victims narrowly escaped with their lives.

Also looking forward to this. The human encounter stories are usually one of the more fascinating parts of Shark Week

Shark of Darkness: Submarine Returns explores the legend of “Submarine,” an enormous great white shark off the coast of South Africa. This 30-foot shark is said to be the largest great white shark of all time. Locals believe that this shark is responsible for countless fatal attacks, but its existence has never been proven. This documentary explores the evidence and asks the question: can Submarine exist?

SPOILER ALERT: No.

In April 2013, a fishing vessel off the coast of South Africa was attacked, killing all on board. A TV crew documented Marine Biologist Collin Drake as he worked to determine the predator responsible. Megalodon: The New Evidence presents Shark Week viewers with shocking new evidence and interview footage.

:dogout:

Compared to previous years there actually sounds like a fair bit of interesting stuff here. There's of course the usual fearmongering titles and of course yet another Air Jaws (which isn't really that bad but is just beyond tired at this point), but I like the shows focusing on science and lesser-known species. Too bad they brought back the aggressively unfunny post-show garbage but that's easy enough to skip through.

Discovery also apparently focused on the "overwhelmingly" part of the "overwhelmingly negative" response to last year's dumbass fake Megalodon documentary and are making another one. Can't wait for another year of "OH HAY U STUDY SHARKS DID YOU SEE THAT SHOW WHERE THEY PROVED MAGGLEDON??"

If enough people care I'd be happy to make a thread, but the vibe I get is that most people around here are sort of cynical/burned-out after the past few years.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 3, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is the Zombie Sharks thing a repeat? Because I already watched a show about that incident and that whole topic in general a couple of months ago...

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Tonic immobility is in no way a new thing, as I'm guessing you know, but from what I can tell this is a new TV special about the activity specifically related to great whites. Can you remember any more details about what you saw? It could have been a related project that aired on NatGeo or something like that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hazo posted:

Tonic immobility is in no way a new thing, as I'm guessing you know, but from what I can tell this is a new TV special about the activity specifically related to great whites. Can you remember any more details about what you saw? It could have been a related project that aired on NatGeo or something like that.

I want to say it was NatGeo but it may have been on Science Channel. They interviewed many witnesses from the event, I believe there was some small amount of footage from the event they kept showing over and over, and there was some cheap, documentary, CG work to show what was happening under the water. They showed them demonstrating tonic immobility on another shark species as well.

I think the main point of the show was trying to explain how this could happen and the explanation they came up with was that the Orca learned the great white's blindspot, came up from underneath, and grabbed them from a weird angle so that when they flipped upright, the shark would be upside down, which would all explain why there didn't seem to be much of a struggle and how it happened so fast.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

Payback for Adam pussing out on the upside-down bungie bobbing.

That was horrific and the one time I felt really bad for anyone on the show.

Seriously. I don't think the bungee jumping over and over would bother me, but they were clearly hating it so much that you just feel awful for them. Jaime looked like he was about to have an anxiety attack.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Interesting interview with Cape Caution skipper Bill Wichrowski on working on Deadliest Catch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamie has such a bad fear of heights you'd think they would have pawned that one off to Tory, Kari and Grant.

Anyway, thst interview with the captains from Deadliest Catch has an interesting thing where he says that the show has made it really annoying to hire greenhorns because they end up with a lot of people who want to do it just to be on the show for a season and then quit.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Jamie has such a bad fear of heights you'd think they would have pawned that one off to Tory, Kari and Grant.
I think that was the reason why they had Jamie do it, like Kari working with meat or Grant with fish.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anyway, thst interview with the captains from Deadliest Catch has an interesting thing where he says that the show has made it really annoying to hire greenhorns because they end up with a lot of people who want to do it just to be on the show for a season and then quit.

That's been a thing from very early on. No matter how often they explicitly say how much the job sucks dicks please don't apply to do it, people keep thinking "oh it can't be that bad let me do it."

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

IRQ posted:

That's been a thing from very early on. No matter how often they explicitly say how much the job sucks dicks please don't apply to do it, people keep thinking "oh it can't be that bad let me do it."

they really do try to drive it home that 99% of people are not built for that kind of work. There aren't a lot jobs that require an awake time for 24+ hours on the regular.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

IRQ posted:

I think the point he's driving at isn't that the people they're seeing apply for work of late aren't any less qualified to make it, it's that they have no intention of continuing on in a fishing career whether they can do it or not.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madurai posted:

I think the point he's driving at isn't that the people they're seeing apply for work of late aren't any less qualified to make it, it's that they have no intention of continuing on in a fishing career whether they can do it or not.

I don't think that has ever happened on the show, and he never references it in the interview. He seems to be explicitly stating that people sign up and then find out they can't handle it, but they take the risk in the first place because they want to be on TV and it doesn't look as bad as it really is. That is why he mentions his strategy of offering them a job on a non-TV boat, to see if they are still interested.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't think that has ever happened on the show, and he never references it in the interview.

Except when he says:

Wild Bill posted:

What the show has done is created an effect where people come up to me and say, “Oh, I want to just try this once.” Well, we’re not looking for someone to buy a ticket and go for a ride for 20 minutes and get off and say, “I rode that ride.”

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Woooo. And it only took a year from filming for them to finally air it :downs:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madurai posted:

Except when he says:

Yeah but I'm specifically referring to the idea that someone who did that was actually a really decent greenhorn and then quit anyway because they accomplished their silly goal. I don't doubt that a ton of people want to try it, but that fits into what he was saying about people not thinking it is as hard as it is and the 90% failure rate. That's a different statement than saying people are trying it, and some are actually quite good but they still quit.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Welp, the two clearest shots of me either have my head obscured by a Volkswagen ad or show me from behind :eng99:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is the most awkward episode ever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

Welp, the two clearest shots of me either have my head obscured by a Volkswagen ad or show me from behind :eng99:

They talked up how good the wigs looked, but they looked pretty fake to me. Although that might have been just because I knew they were wigs. Did you catch on at all during the experiment?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

PostNouveau posted:

They talked up how good the wigs looked, but they looked pretty fake to me. Although that might have been just because I knew they were wigs. Did you catch on at all during the experiment?

Something about their hair looked off, but I didn't really put two and two together and think of wigs until another one of the guys mentioned it :downs: It looked pretty real on a few of the girls though.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Didn't take long for the first blatantly fake shark documentary to show up. gently caress off Discovery.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hazo posted:

Didn't take long for the first blatantly fake shark documentary to show up. gently caress off Discovery.

I have spent the last 20 min trying to figure this out. I can't even find info on the boat sinking, a random website puts it in April of this year?

The shark pushing the guy looks so drat fake right now...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shart Week was better.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

spwrozek posted:

I have spent the last 20 min trying to figure this out. I can't even find info on the boat sinking, a random website puts it in April of this year?
No, that's just when Discovery started creating fake accounts and websites for viral marketing and such. None of the people or institutions in the show actually exist and the sinking never occurred.

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

After not following shark week for a few years, I decide to take a look. Shark of Darkness is one of the most blatantly cynical ratings ploys I've ever seen. I wasn't even aware of the megalodon show controversy last year, but it looks like they think that type of fake documentary is the business path they want to pursue. They don't even play the "this is what could happen" angle, they just present it as if it is completely real. This thing is somehow 2 hours long as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A couple of scientists are saying Discovery lied to them to get them to appear on their fake-rear end documentaries and then edited their interviews in a misleading manner.

http://io9.com/shark-week-lied-to-scientists-to-get-them-to-appear-in-1619280737

• Locked thread