Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SquirrelyPSU posted:

There is zero reason to not take terminal. Who the gently caress wants to play Navy for any longer than they have to? OH WOOP DEE DO ANOTHER 30 DAYS OF NAVY BULLSHIT OH WAIT I DONT ACTUALLY HAVE TO BE HERE RIGHT NOW WOOPS

I actually 100% agree with this, I'm just tired of hearing retards say you lose money if you don't take all your leave when that is literally the exact opposite of the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boon posted:

You should probably calm down dude, and I have a pretty good reason to not take terminal.

Its not really anger, just imagine me doing the Whacky Wild Inflatable Arms guy thing

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My BAH/BAS stopped 30 days into my 78+ of terminal. That was a long time ago and people here have insisted it was incorrect, but I was warned in advance that it would. Just sayin'

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think it's ridiculous to say "always take terminal." It's usually what you should do, and that carries the caveat that you have other work lined up following the Navy. If you're getting out and going straight to school I'd be hesitant to say that you should take terminal. Those extra thousands of dollars could be huge.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 9, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Also obviously depends on your chain of command and work place. Some work you like a dog until your last days. Some people get away doing jack poo poo the last 3-6 months of their enlistment. I knew a guy that dropped his pack like 7 months out and was completely worthless but he was buddies with the chief and LPO. Pissed us the gently caress off.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

Also obviously depends on your chain of command and work place. Some work you like a dog until your last days. Some people get away doing jack poo poo the last 3-6 months of their enlistment. I knew a guy that dropped his pack like 7 months out and was completely worthless but he was buddies with the chief and LPO. Pissed us the gently caress off.

You sir, are what's known in the industry as a "hater."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hey man 1-2 months before your EAS then by all means. I don't expect anything. But like 6 months lol

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

My BAH/BAS stopped 30 days into my 78+ of terminal. That was a long time ago and people here have insisted it was incorrect, but I was warned in advance that it would. Just sayin'

Interesting. Just how long ago was this? I took 2 months of terminal when I got out and collected housing the entire time.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Christoff posted:

Hey man 1-2 months before your EAS then by all means. I don't expect anything. But like 6 months lol

My last underway they basically stuck me doing 48 maintenance at 3AM which otherwise consisted of me playing FIFA in Aft RAM for the rest of the night. Occasionally I would have to do an OCSOT.

It was the best underway.

And then I took terminal.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My last underway they basically stuck me doing 48 maintenance at 3AM which otherwise consisted of me playing FIFA in Aft RAM for the rest of the night. Occasionally I would have to do an OCSOT.

It was the best underway.

And then I took terminal.

The equipment rooms under the RAM sponsons were most definitely my poo poo on my last deployment. Had a 42" TV and video games down there, and decent chairs + no poo poo 50 degree AC even in the arabian sea. It owned pretty hard.

That feeling when you walk out of an equipment room while in the Arabian Sea while wearing a foul weather boat jacket because it is so loving cold in the space :feelsgood:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 10, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Zarc posted:

Interesting. Just how long ago was this? I took 2 months of terminal when I got out and collected housing the entire time.

'06

Again, multiple people here have said that's not how it should've happened, but it did, and by the time I'd heard it might be wrong I was long past caring

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

'06

Again, multiple people here have said that's not how it should've happened, but it did, and by the time I'd heard it might be wrong I was long past caring

Well, entirely possible they changed it since I got out almost 9 years before that. Wouldn't surprise me as a money saving measure

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

TrialbyStone posted:

Ug.

For future reference ladies and gentlemen, do not conduct inspections of the LM2500 Compressor section by hand; apparently I am not Iron Man, nor do I have the power to slow down a turbine rotor, even at 2 MPH.

Someone I know did something similar. 6 years later and even after he made chief, he was still "rotor brake" guy. That's the type of thing that travels with you because it is hilariously dumb.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Has anyone been to Djibouti or know what's out there? All I get is that it's loving hot. What I'm looking to know is if I am sent there for 9 months, would I be able to prepare to separate (like apply to colleges and poo poo) before I get out of the Navy? Currently, it looks like it would be from February to December, and my EAOS is in January. Previous LPO said I'd be back in time for Christmas leave, but then there's that hassle of terminal leave, making sure it gets up the chain of command in enough time, and having to scramble for everything once I get out which isn't a part of my plan. If I don't go it just means I'd be able to take terminal leave. If I do though it means more money, plus I'd have actually done something in 5 years of being in the Navy beyond just "personal development" with certifications for the outside world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you gotta spend the time, might as well make some loving money while you're at it. Spring semester is still possible, but if you're there until December it might be better just to shoot for summer. Save up all your money on deployment, don't take any terminal, use that last month for outprocessing, and then take your bigass stacks of cash and go travel/do something fun for a few months. Start school in the summer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yo Djibouti is Disneyland. It's hot as gently caress and sucks but it's as good as it can get. There's wifi everywhere and A/C. If you're actually stationed there you can get your own wifi with your roommates. Nice gym, pool, and loving amazing chow hall. It has every amenity you'd need honestly. Alcohol, too.

gently caress you can probably take online courses there and they probably do college courses too

I wouldn't be surprised if they even do TRS/TAPS there.

You'll be banking cash because there's not really any liberty there. Off base is usually restricted but if not you can go out in groups of 5 I think.

Seriously I can't overstate how it pretty much has everything

Medical there is probably the nicest clinic I've seen. They're really helpful and super nice. There's dental as well. It's just a clinic if there's something major I think they send you to the French hospital there or Kuwait. If you didn't already know it's a Navy/French base. There's a flight line that divides the bases. You won't ever go to the French side. We did some training with them so we went there and got poo poo faced at their bar with them. Tons of foreign Military and every branch is doing something there. It's a Navy base but they're probably the ones you'll see the least of. Lots of high speed folk too (SEAL, etc)

Oh you also get hazardous duty/combat/whatever pay. Eating steak/lobster while people starve to death right outside the gates

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 11, 2014

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Serious questions: if you get out at 16, is it possible to earn a retirement in the IRR with just correspondence courses?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

Yo Djibouti is Disneyland. It's hot as gently caress and sucks but it's as good as it can get. There's wifi everywhere and A/C. If you're actually stationed there you can get your own wifi with your roommates. Nice gym, pool, and loving amazing chow hall. It has every amenity you'd need honestly. Alcohol, too.

gently caress you can probably take online courses there and they probably do college courses too

You'll be banking cash because there's not really any liberty there. Off base is usually restricted but if not you can go out in groups of 5 I think.

Medical there is probably the nicest clinic I've seen. They're really helpful and super nice. There's dental as well. It's just a clinic if there's something major I think they send you to the French hospital there or Kuwait. If you didn't already know it's a Navy/French base. There's a flight line that divides the bases. You won't ever go to the French side. We did some training with them so we went there and got poo poo faced at their bar with them. Tons of foreign Military and every branch is doing something there. It's a Navy base but they're probably the ones you'll see the least of. Lots of high speed folk too (SEAL, etc)

Oh you also get hazardous duty/combat/whatever pay. Eating steak/lobster while people starve to death right outside the gates

Can I stare into their vacant, likely democrat un-American faces while I eat?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just hit on the hot Italian and Air Force chicks at the crossfit workouts

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

That's disgusting. All branches sicken me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Christoff posted:

I can second all this having spent 6 months there. Lots of Army folk there as well. I can confirm that you can take classes there if you feel like spending time and money on a diploma mill degree. And yes they do offer TAP aka GPS there as well. I don't think you get all the HFP/IDP anymore but I might be wrong about that. Just check DFAS or whatever.

Christoff posted:

Just hit on the hot Italian and Air Force chicks at the crossfit workouts

The hottest chick on the camp when I was there was a Navy IT2. She was a legitimate 8-9. She'd walk in the gym and literally every dude would be staring. I have no idea why she was in the Navy because she probably could've been making the same money on her looks alone.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So the recruiter just said he won't take me down to MEPs if I'm holding out only for it/ctn/ctm. He said if i go down and i don't pick a job that i won't be taken back down. They only want people who are open to the jobs available when i go down. What the hell do i do goons?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Don't go

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Zotix posted:

So the recruiter just said he won't take me down to MEPs if I'm holding out only for it/ctn/ctm. He said if i go down and i don't pick a job that i won't be taken back down. They only want people who are open to the jobs available when i go down. What the hell do i do goons?

Then don't go. gently caress the recruiter. If he doesn't want to make quota some other month then that's on him. Don't enlist into a job that won't set you up for the future if you want to do something in IT/CTN/CTM. If you do, you'll just get hosed. There is no changing jobs in boot camp. There's no changing jobs when you're in (it's a slim chance, and hardly to the rating you want).

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Pandasmores posted:

Don't enlist

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Listen to the Jew and bitter Corpsman, your recruiter is being a recruiter, ie, scum.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Zotix posted:

Don't let the fucker strong arm you. Tell him whatever to shut him the hell up and when you get down there don't take anything but IT/CTN/CTM.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 12, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zotix posted:

No one has any loving hold on you what so ever. If your recruiter gives you this line of bullshit talk to his chief about it and he will get his rear end reamed for not taking a potential recruit to MEPS.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zotix posted:

Go to a different recruiter or whatever you have to do, but don't go to MEPS on bullshit conditions like that. Or just go to MEPS and call his bluff (he's definitely bluffing). Whatever you do, don't sign a 3-year contract for a job you don't want.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Don't go pick a job i don't want? Or dont go down at all and talk to another recruiter? I'm thinking of just going and seeing what's available and if it's not there then gently caress em. The other recruiters were trying to tell me so many other jobs do IT stuff, and also do network security.

I did also talk to the officer recruiter today, but that was a no go. My gpa was a bit too low.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Don't say no go until you are owned by Uncle Sam

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zotix posted:

Don't go pick a job i don't want? Or dont go down at all and talk to another recruiter? I'm thinking of just going and seeing what's available and if it's not there then gently caress em. The other recruiters were trying to tell me so many other jobs do IT stuff, and also do network security.

I did also talk to the officer recruiter today, but that was a no go. My gpa was a bit too low.

gently caress that poo poo, get the rate you want or don't do it at all.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zotix posted:

you can go to meps all the way up to the detailer, he will show you the jobs HE wants to fill first. tell him to gently caress off and show you what you want. if he won't give you what you want you are under NO obligation at all to take anything. you can simply say no thank you and be on your way home.

i went to the army meps before i went to the navy and did this exact thing.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Go down and shop for jobs. If they don't have what you don't want then don't enlist.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

Go down and shop for jobs. If they don't have what you don't want then don't enlist.

Gonna beat this horse a little more. You are literally nothing more than a number to the recruiter and 95% of what he tells you is either an outright lie or truth so twisted and tortured it is worse than a lie. On the plus side, he has absolutely no control over you either (and he knows it, hence all the BS psychological games). It doesn't matter how many BS pieces of paper he makes you sign, your parents sign, whatever. You don't owe the Navy poo poo until you get to basic. Make it very simple for the detailers when you get to MEPS. Say "I am interested in IT/CTM/CTN. If you don't have those available, then lets not waste both of our time by talking about other stuff. " You aren't down there to make friends, you are there to sign 8 years of your life away and so you better drat well at least do something you want to do.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay so at this point it seems like he doesn't want to take me down, so i need to at least convince him to take me down there. What are some other rates that aren't complete poo poo so i can at least show him I've done some research, enough that he'll at least take me down to meps

I'll hold out for ctn. But i need to convince him to at least get me down to meps.

I also think it's stupid that they wouldn't try to place someone who scored a 96 on the asvab, has their bachelor's, into a job that they want.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 12, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Zotix posted:

Okay so at this point it seems like he doesn't want to take me down, so i need to at least convince him to take me down there. What are some other rates that aren't complete poo poo so i can at least show him I've done some research, enough that he'll at least take me down to meps

I'll hold out for ctn. But i need to convince him to at least get me down to meps.

Talk to his Chief. Him "not taking you" is BS.

Most of the CT rates are cool, IMO, but it's all about what YOU want to do. If I had it to do all over again I'd be an AG or a CTI. *shrug*

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

If I had it to do all over again I'd be an AG or a CTI. *shrug*

PK I didn't know you were an anime lover!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Or you could just lie to him, tell him you'll take anything, go down there, then take nothing when what you want isn't there and tell him to go gently caress himself on your way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
What city/region are you in?

• Locked thread