Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I started collecting big box PC games and I'll be damned if it isn't the dumbest loving market

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sin-PC-Big-...=item4185509dc5

I could swear SiN was released in a trapezoidal box for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Maybe there was a re-release at some point, but the original box was rectangular.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
SiN has the coolest name/logo combo since Nine Inch Nails.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nintendo Kid posted:

That was the first 4 Tomb Raider games, sorry

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elliotw2 posted:

That was the first 4 Tomb Raider games, sorry

What the gently caress is wrong with you, you could have said Thief II before Tomb Raider, nobody cares that Tomb Raider came out first when Thief II was also trapezoidal what the hell goddamn I ought slap you right on your face

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I remember when I used to collect boxes too:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Map 29 of Hellbound has nearly 1900 1300 enemies. The game noticeably lagged while it was loading.

I think that's as many enemies as the entirety of ZDCMP 2 :(

e: It also is a gigantic fortress with almost no solid walls so it lags the gently caress out of GZDoom even without any mods loaded, what the gently caress.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

The Kins posted:

I wanted Reelism to be more of a chase-the-high-score thing where actually winning is just a hard-to-attain bonus. (I probably should have made it for a game that supports persistent high score storage...)

You could probably fake it with lots of messy cvar fuckery... but it may not be worth the issues that would cause.

RyokoTK posted:

I'm not sure why any of the hardcore Q3 crowd ever stuck with Quake Live. It was a pretty fair attempt at trying to bring back Q3 to the more casual crowd, but I can't imagine why people would play that instead of the perfectly functional and serviceable Quake 3.

Because Q3's frontend is awful. Seriously, it's just abysmal.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I feel no shame in save-scumming like a cheating pansy in Hellbound. This is the WAD that will teleport in an Arch-Vile immediately behind you in an open room, five hundred monsters into a gigantic mega-metropolis map. There is no mercy.

e: Especially because it's also incredibly fuckin' stingy with health pickups.

Or you could just play it with Russian Overkill like I am. :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you, you could have said Thief II before Tomb Raider, nobody cares that Tomb Raider came out first when Thief II was also trapezoidal what the hell goddamn I ought slap you right on your face

I, uh, never played Thief 2 when it was new, and the engine is kind of restrictive trying to play it today. I did like Thief 3 kinda though.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

NuclearPotato posted:

Or you could just play it with Russian Overkill like I am. :v:

This is a smart man and you should listen to him. This is how I play wads that I think are too hard/tedious but look really nice.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I have WADs that introduce custom difficulties that make every monster die in one hit from anything, usually gibbing if they can, as well as a Doom-specific WAD that redefines every monster's DECORATE to have them die on seeing/hearing me. If I just kinda want to dick around, looking at pretty levels, I'd break one of those two out (although the latter is of little use when custom monsters get introduced; only the vanilla set are covered).

That said, you'd be surprised how difficult a high monster count is even when they die in one hit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Elliotw2 posted:

I, uh, never played Thief 2 when it was new, and the engine is kind of restrictive trying to play it today. I did like Thief 3 kinda though.

You liked Thief 3 but found Thief 2 to be restrictive.

Error. Error. Does not compute.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Hellbound is bad because it takes the bullet sponge enemies of Doom and adds them in very lackluster ways which ends up with you slogging through pain elementals and barons of hell (seriously, the worst mobs unless used in very specific ways). Any map with more than around 200 monsters better be a punchy paced slaughter-esque map or it runs the massive risk of just being boring, something mappers are keen to avoid for obvious reasons but Hellbound is guilty of exactly that.

The maps look good, but after so many years of playing Doom stock textures have worn themselves out hard and are generally lacking in inspiration. I haven't played brutal doom for a long time since its gimmick tends to ruin the balance of most of the best wads out there, but if I had to fully play Hellbound through I'd do it with brutal doom just to up the pace a bit.

If you want a good map set with the word hell in it try Hellground, masterpiece.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually was playing through (most of) Hellbound with Brutal Doom. I had tried it before in vanilla and didn't make it far for exactly that reason. The WAD really, really likes Hell Knights. Which are fine most of the time, sure, but there's so drat many of them. At least Brutal does punch up the lower-end weapons quite a bit, so they go down quicker.

Map 29 was so overstuffed with enemies and geometry that it was literally unplayable with Brutal (I got about two frames per second, tops) so I just loaded it up in vanilla and cheated through it to scope it out. Map 30 was a pretty decent take on the Icon of Sin but it's not worth seeing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Playing through Hellbound with Weapons of Saturn. I'm enjoying myself overall but there are a few bullshit things, like the author's obsession with Hellknights (as stated above), overly dark levels (WHERE THE gently caress AM I GOING) and trying to loving guess what switch did what to what part of the bigass level.

Edit: jesus christ do these maps ever get any brighter? I can't see a godamn thing, hasn't this mother fucker heard of lighting

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 12, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You liked Thief 3 but found Thief 2 to be restrictive.

Error. Error. Does not compute.

Restrictive in the sense that until very recently I got a Do Not Compute error trying to run the drat game. Now that the engine is working on modern computers I should go try and play it.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Playing through Hellbound with Weapons of Saturn. I'm enjoying myself overall but there are a few bullshit things, like the author's obsession with Hellknights (as stated above), overly dark levels (WHERE THE gently caress AM I GOING) and trying to loving guess what switch did what to what part of the bigass level.

Edit: jesus christ do these maps ever get any brighter? I can't see a godamn thing, hasn't this mother fucker heard of lighting

Yeah, the hellknights aren't a problem for me (says the Russian Overkill player :v:) but I don't even care enough to try and figure out where the secrets are, because this level's been going on way too long and I'm sick of it and GODDAMN, COULD YOU TURN UP THE LIGHTS SO I CAN SEE WHERE I'M GOING. I just finished the Forest, and that might be the worst of the darkness thus far, since there's a long winding forest trail filled with (inviso) pinkies and imps, and navigating the drat thing is frustrating enough without running into an enemy every 10 feet.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not meant to be played using the standard GZDoom extra-dark lighting setting. Bump up the ambient level a little and it's all good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

NuclearPotato posted:

Yeah, the hellknights aren't a problem for me (says the Russian Overkill player :v:) but I don't even care enough to try and figure out where the secrets are, because this level's been going on way too long and I'm sick of it and GODDAMN, COULD YOU TURN UP THE LIGHTS SO I CAN SEE WHERE I'M GOING. I just finished the Forest, and that might be the worst of the darkness thus far, since there's a long winding forest trail filled with (inviso) pinkies and imps, and navigating the drat thing is frustrating enough without running into an enemy every 10 feet.

I think that's an intentional "feature" of the early levels, when they're more atmospheric and less slaughtery. The first 8 or so levels are very dark. Once you get to the city levels, the darkness stops being an issue. Of course, then it gets its own issues (refer to the "600 monsters at Map16" complaint from earlier).

Oddly enough, of all the early levels, the only one I actually liked was the one you're complaining about.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RyokoTK posted:

I actually was playing through (most of) Hellbound with Brutal Doom. I had tried it before in vanilla and didn't make it far for exactly that reason. The WAD really, really likes Hell Knights. Which are fine most of the time, sure, but there's so drat many of them. At least Brutal does punch up the lower-end weapons quite a bit, so they go down quicker.

Map 29 was so overstuffed with enemies and geometry that it was literally unplayable with Brutal (I got about two frames per second, tops) so I just loaded it up in vanilla and cheated through it to scope it out. Map 30 was a pretty decent take on the Icon of Sin but it's not worth seeing.

Yup that's exactly what I did, using my own modification of BD. The admittedly weird "flamethrower" feature of BD's plasma rifle actually has a use with the big, tight mobs that Hellbound frequently throws at the player. Plus, going cyclic on a group with the souped-up minigun is deeply satisfying. Can't get enough of that spastic zipper-fart noise.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Something apropos to current events to tie into this thread.

(Robin Williams was a big-time gamer and loved Quake)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I just played through all of Scythe(with DOOMRL arsenal) for the first time, and it was pretty good.

At least until every room became "You know what would make this room better? Multiple Cyber Demons."

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Someone's publicly uploading the latest builds of the new UT's pre-alpha, based on Epic's licensee-only GitHub, if you want to run around in untextured grey maps getting shot at. Fatal1ty (remember him?) is currently streaming it and wrecking everyone. It looks fun!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Roobanguy posted:

I just played through all of Scythe(with DOOMRL arsenal) for the first time, and it was pretty good.

At least until every room became "You know what would make this room better? Multiple Cyber Demons."

Scythe 2 is way worse in that regard. The maps are twice as big and there are dozens of arch-viles and revenants every three feet. It also includes two new enemies that are stupidly powerful. The last few levels really aren't fun after a certain point.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?

Keiya posted:

Because Q3's frontend is awful. Seriously, it's just abysmal.

The ability to play CPMA makes up for it, though.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Former Human posted:

Scythe 2 is way worse in that regard. The maps are twice as big and there are dozens of arch-viles and revenants every three feet. It also includes two new enemies that are stupidly powerful. The last few levels really aren't fun after a certain point.

Yeah, I noticed that a few maps into Scythe 2. Also learned the hard way that DoomRL Arsenal doesn't really play well with the maps, seeing how it kills you to make you lose your weapons every now and again. That really bummed me out when I found a nano upgrade and only needed one more power to make my shotgun shoot nano shrapnel.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5139

If any of you are remotely into the competitive/tournament/etc scene, Zandronum is going to be hosting a for-larks 3v3 Samsara team LMS tournament.
This is 100% a silly debacle and more for sake of fun rather than being about "who da best", so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Hope to see some people there!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Former Human posted:

Wasn't Scythe 2 designed to be played co-op?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SmoothDoom has really grown up these past few months. It now has a bunch of alternate enemy sprites (not every zombie and imp are identical), some Brutal-ish splatter effects and proper coloured lighting on everything that should generate it, but with zero gameplay tweaks.

It's my go-to mod for map packs where I don't want to mess around with balance at all. My only complaint is that it causes conflicts with most custom HUDs. To get Statusbar Reloaded working, I had to delete SBARINFO from the SmoothDoom PK3 file.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I started up Blood again and I loving love it. The trap at the end of E1M5 can be brutal as gently caress though if you don't save and pick the wrong door.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Geight posted:

No.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

Someone's publicly uploading the latest builds of the new UT's pre-alpha, based on Epic's licensee-only GitHub, if you want to run around in untextured grey maps getting shot at. Fatal1ty (remember him?) is currently streaming it and wrecking everyone. It looks fun!
Torrent tracker for the build seems to be clogged up with everyone downloading it. Looks really good though!

e: never mind, got it downloading now

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 14, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Geight posted:

Might be Memento Mori/MM2 you're thinking of?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've played some Reelism lately, and I just noticed that sometimes the health kits have a pill on them instead of a cross and make bleeping sounds when you pick them up. I know what it's referencing, but what causes them to pop up?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

catlord posted:

I've played some Reelism lately, and I just noticed that sometimes the health kits have a pill on them instead of a cross and make bleeping sounds when you pick them up. I know what it's referencing, but what causes them to pop up?

It's completely random IIRC.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's completely random IIRC.

That's fantastic. :allears: I don't remember it ever happening before, I was worried my speakers were loving up or something.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

TerminusEst13 posted:

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5139

If any of you are remotely into the competitive/tournament/etc scene, Zandronum is going to be hosting a for-larks 3v3 Samsara team LMS tournament.
This is 100% a silly debacle and more for sake of fun rather than being about "who da best", so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Hope to see some people there!

Give us Prisoner 849 damnit! :argh:

(Unreal Gold was one of my favorite games growing up, so the wait for the final version of Samsara is driving me up the wall. :sigh:)

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Former Human posted:

Agreed. I tried going through that twice and aborted both times. There are plenty of other megaWADs that are a lot more enjoyable for people who don't like to get blasted by ridiculous odds like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Finished episode 1 of Blood. I forgot I had the napalm launcher and ended up using it to finish off the boss. Poor Ophelia :smith: